Credit Card Charged in error

Alan & Giselle

If you were affected and complain I feel reasonably sure they will deliver a good will gesture so long as you don't tell anyone they gave it to you - it's what they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These handing companies must comply with PCI DSS compliance Requirement 3 on data protection. Elavon has not failed big stile not fit for purpose!

What does that particular requirement say about a body which legitimately has customer data and then processes it more than once? That's an internal cock-up rather than a data protection breach. Without in any way excusing the inexcusable it's still something which happens now and then, so jumping up and down as if it's a unique event doesn't help anyone.

If you just stand back and let the Companies do as they please in cases like this...unique or not...they will assume no-one was really upset and deal with it accordingly...you have to make your voice heard even if it is only to get some anger about it out of your system. I do not understand why the victims of this mess should be blamed for having strong feelings about it.

The payment pending on our bank a/c has disappeared overnight so we now have full access. Since the money was never removed from the a/c there has been no effect to our interest. Since we had enough funds to cover existing commitments this has not impacted our a/c in any way but can sympathise with those who have been badly affected by this shambles. However this has made us wonder if we should make any future payments using our debit/credit cards or use bank transfer instead. Glad ours is sorted but this has been a major PR disaster for Carnivalval.

Can I ask - were actual cash withdrawals made or, as in my case (£3000.00), was authorisation sought and cash reserved, thus leading to unavailability of those funds for direct debits, cash withdrawals etc.

All card takers use third party 'Merchants' to process their payments and I am fairly confident that Carnival do not hold card details beyond the time needed to process a payment once. To learn that Elavon are 'required' to hold those details for whatever purpose was a surprise especially as their processes are so obviously error prone. I think I feel a referral to the Information Komissar coming on!

I really feel for Carnival UK, caught in the middle of this s....storm. How they handle the fallout will seriously affect their future customer relations and I'm afraid to say that so far their reaction has demonstrated what many of us knew already - bureaucratic inflexibility rules the waves.

Own the problem.....be open with information.......be generous with those affected. You could come out of it with reputation enhanced. (I won't hold my breath though!)

Finally, all these 'payments' are for cruises, OBC for all affected, say a percentage of the amount claimed in error, would be a generous gesture, and in view of the profit margins for onboard spending would cost little. Claim it back from Elavon, and keep the secret of the result of their internal investigation if you like.

The payment pending on our bank a/c has disappeared overnight so we now have full access. Since the money was never removed from the a/c there has been no effect to our interest. Since we had enough funds to cover existing commitments this has not impacted our a/c in any way but can sympathise with those who have been badly affected by this shambles. However this has made us wonder if we should make any future payments using our debit/credit cards or use bank transfer instead. Glad ours is sorted but this has been a major PR disaster for Carnivalval.

Saw your post so checked my account and my pending payments have disappeared too. We too have been lucky for this not to have affected us in anyway. There unfortunately seem to have been a lot of people which have suffered hardship because of this fiasco. :(

If you just stand back and let the Companies do as they please in cases like this...unique or not...they will assume no-one was really upset and deal with it accordingly...you have to make your voice heard even if it is only to get some anger about it out of your system. I do not understand why the victims of this mess should be blamed for having strong feelings about it.

I agree, if you have been affected please complain in writing. Who knows how widespread this is. The Cruise Critic Community is only a very small percentage of Carnival UK's business.

I have yet to suffer a direct finacial loss but through this fiasco I have been denied access to £3500 of my own money since last Friday. It has caused me stress and agrivation, numerous telephone calls and daily visits to the bank to assertain what was going on. I am angry and no longer looking forward to my cruise next month.

If you were affected and complain I feel reasonably sure they will deliver a good will gesture so long as you don't tell anyone they gave it to you - it's what they always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, lets see then.

I have formally registered a complain, and received a standard reply stating that I will get a response within 48 hours.

48 hours have gone by, and still no answer!! Great PR, or should I accept that 48hrs for a reply was not possible and give them another 48, just to be on the safe side

What does that particular requirement say about a body which legitimately has customer data and then processes it more than once? That's an internal cock-up rather than a data protection breach. Without in any way excusing the inexcusable it's still something which happens now and then, so jumping up and down as if it's a unique event doesn't help anyone.

Did you get caught up in this?

Can I ask - were actual cash withdrawals made or, as in my case (£3000.00), was authorisation sought and cash reserved, thus leading to unavailability of those funds for direct debits, cash withdrawals etc.

I have checked with my bank, and yes, cash has been paid to P&O

Well, lets see then.

I have formally registered a complain, and received a standard reply stating that I will get a response within 48 hours.

48 hours have gone by, and still no answer!! Great PR, or should I accept that 48hrs for a reply was not possible and give them another 48, just to be on the safe side

They appear to have been overwhelmed by this fiasco...one thing you never do is mess with peoples finances...is it any wonder why so many people are really annoyed and upset...re-send your complaint and tell them your still waiting for a response is what I would be inclined to do.

Yes, I have a large amount of money pending in account and need to pay credit card bills next week so hope it is gone by then.

I wonder what proof they will require to pay interest charges/credit card charges, not happy about providing copy statements etc.,

Yes, I have a large amount of money pending in account and need to pay credit card bills next week so hope it is gone by then.

I wonder what proof they will require to pay interest charges/credit card charges, not happy about providing copy statements etc.,

Could your bank not send you a breakdown relating to the impact this has had on your account.

I know this is even more hassle for you and others and your bank might even levy a charge but you could also add that to your claim from P&O.

Chances are there may even be no charges given the nature of this event.

Edited by barriead

A couple of years ago P&O requested a payment again although the first payment was in my account pending. To rectify took a lot of phoning etc at my cost. I now use a travel agent who is much more proficient and quicker, plus the added value of a discount and much easier to book on line.

All card takers use third party 'Merchants' to process their payments and I am fairly confident that Carnival do not hold card details beyond the time needed to process a payment once. To learn that Elavon are 'required' to hold those details for whatever purpose was a surprise especially as their processes are so obviously error prone. I think I feel a referral to the Information Komissar coming on!

I really feel for Carnival UK, caught in the middle of this s....storm. How they handle the fallout will seriously affect their future customer relations and I'm afraid to say that so far their reaction has demonstrated what many of us knew already - bureaucratic inflexibility rules the waves.

Own the problem.....be open with information.......be generous with those affected. You could come out of it with reputation enhanced. (I won't hold my breath though!)

Finally, all these 'payments' are for cruises, OBC for all affected, say a percentage of the amount claimed in error, would be a generous gesture, and in view of the profit margins for onboard spending would cost little. Claim it back from Elavon, and keep the secret of the result of their internal investigation if you like.

No money was taken from our a/c but the sum pending £1158.00 reduced what was available to us. Our bank advised that if the money was taken they would have raised a dispute on our behalf but to our relief it didn't come to that.

I had an email from P&O this morning, again apologising for what has happened and saying that if any bank or credit charges were incurred as a result of this fiasco (my word not theirs) I will be reimbursed and they will write again at the end of the week with details of how to claim. They say that Elavon now understands the cause and have given P&O an assurance that it will never happen again. They re-iterate that no personal information was compromised and there was no security leak.

A couple of years ago P&O requested a payment again although the first payment was in my account pending. To rectify took a lot of phoning etc at my cost. I now use a travel agent who is much more proficient and quicker, plus the added value of a discount and much easier to book on line.

I booked through a t/a for my Aurora cruise in December, and got a good discount and also you still get access to the P&Os cruise personaliser.

Going to stick with them in future.

I had an email from P&O this morning, again apologising for what has happened and saying that if any bank or credit charges were incurred as a result of this fiasco (my word not theirs) I will be reimbursed and they will write again at the end of the week with details of how to claim. They say that Elavon now understands the cause and have given P&O an assurance that it will never happen again. They re-iterate that no personal information was compromised and there was no security leak.

How can they continue to assert there has been no sercurity breach when they have channelled my original cruise payments through a third party and the third party has subsequently successfully obtained authorisation from my bank to take duplicate payments from my account?

The sercurity of my card details, i.e. Number, expiry date and sercurity number have has been breached.

I can't understand how come they still had the details of cards up to 5 months after some of these payments were originally made. Once the payment has been received, why are details still on their system to be accessed a second time? Aren't they wiped once payment had been made?

I read about this on here and after checking 2/3 times no problems assumed having paid in the middle of March we would be safe, our sailing friends phoned on Saturday to say they had thanks to this problem had gone overdrawn, checked mine again Tuesday even ok.

Got a letter today that I was severely overdrawn immediately got on phone and said P & O had taken £5400 odd pounds out Wed morning, this is 8 weeks after paying, but don't worry it was paid back in Wed evening and they the bank would ensure I would not have to pay any charges (yes I got her name0

The irony of this to us is that we have had to cancell this trip due to my wife having to have an operation (today) and am in the middle of the insurance claim

Did I not read somewhere 3rd party can keep details quite legally for some time...running into years? People who say they do not fancy paying for their cruise by card in future..how do you pay for your shopping..that will also go through a 3rd party..possibly the same one.

I read about this on here and after checking 2/3 times no problems assumed having paid in the middle of March we would be safe, our sailing friends phoned on Saturday to say they had thanks to this problem had gone overdrawn, checked mine again Tuesday even ok.

Got a letter today that I was severely overdrawn immediately got on phone and said P & O had taken £5400 odd pounds out Wed morning, this is 8 weeks after paying, but don't worry it was paid back in Wed evening and they the bank would ensure I would not have to pay any charges (yes I got her name0

The irony of this to us is that we have had to cancell this trip due to my wife having to have an operation (today) and am in the middle of the insurance claim

Beggars belief doesn't it? On a separate note, all the very best to your wife - and you.

Did I not read somewhere 3rd party can keep details quite legally for some time...running into years? People who say they do not fancy paying for their cruise by card in future..how do you pay for your shopping..that will also go through a 3rd party..possibly the same one.

This may very well be the case, and common practice, but still begs the question, 'Why'? What reason/purpose do these firms/third parties have to hang onto your personal details once transactions have been completed? They have your money so theoretically have no further interest in your finances - or so I would have thought. Seems quite worrying to me.

If I ever pay for shopping by credit card they don't make any additional charge for the facility. If a CC is compromised there is less of an issue as the card company will dispute.

P&O (and to be fair holiday companies in general) apply credit card charges well in excess of what the transaction actually costs them, which pushes customers towards using a debit card. It is debit card users who appear to have been hit hardest by this situation as they have lost access to their own money for no legitimate reason.

This may very well be the case, and common practice, but still begs the question, 'Why'? What reason/purpose do these firms/third parties have to hang onto your personal details once transactions have been completed? They have your money so theoretically have no further interest in your finances - or so I would have thought. Seems quite worrying to me.

Since this happened I have been wondering how many companies have my details on file as I buy quite a lot of goods from the internet. I always thought I was careful and never let any company keep my details. Now seems as if they don't but some third unknown party does..