Tahiti Candles Reservation Recommendation

pauon

We are taking the 11 Day Tahiti cruise. I am looking for your personal experiences on the most romantic Tahiti location for a Candles reservation. Lastly, is it open (worth it?) on the "Sea Day"? Thanks in advance and Happy Sailing!

We did the 7 days but here are my observation.

Yes, it is open on sea days.

Closed during the deck BBQ and the Motu Dinner

On some island, if their is an overnight, you might have to choose between having Candles or going ashore for dinner. Some on our cruise elected to go to Bloody Marys in Bora Bora on the first night there (there was the motu dinner on day 2).

It is more windy on sea days and your food might get colder a bit faster.

We did our Candle reservation on the first night (leaving tahiti) and it was a lovely evening :-)

I do not know your schedule so i cannot help you more.

Have a great time

We did the 7 days but here are my observation.

Yes, it is open on sea days.

Closed during the deck BBQ and the Motu Dinner

On some island, if their is an overnight, you might have to choose between having Candles or going ashore for dinner. Some on our cruise elected to go to Bloody Marys in Bora Bora on the first night there (there was the motu dinner on day 2).

Seeing as there are Bora Bora sunset cruises that charge money for people to see the same view we'll see while anchored in the Bora Bora lagoon on the Wind Spirit, we figured the first evening at Bora Bora would be a great time to have our Candles dinner. Plus, we'll be anchored, not sailing, so we're thinking that will make it a calmer experience. Perhaps Dandee2 can verify that?

As for Bloody Mary's, we figure if we want to go to a restaurant run by guys from Southern California, we can do that here in L.A., LOL!

Don't forget that depending of time of year, sunset range from 17:45 to 18:15 approx. if you can do candle on that night it will be calmer of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When is the earliest Candles reservation? I think dinner in the dining room is always at 7:00 (is that right?), so I assumed Candles would be the same, i.e., always after sunset.

Don't forget that depending of time of year, sunset range from 17:45 to 18:15 approx. if you can do candle on that night it will be calmer of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dandee, Could you expand on this?

If we are flexible on timing, is it possible to dine at Candles more than once, outside, on a 7 night NYE cruise? We (wife and I) love outdoor dining in warm areas and would dine at Candles every night if we could.

Previous passengers have told me they were able to dine at Candles more than once if there was seating available. Book it on the first night (leaving Papeete), then play it by ear and look for openings later in the cruise.

You might not want to dine at Candles every night because it has a very limited menu that does not change. One night is the deck barbecue and Candles is not open. That is outside, very festive. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed the 7 day cruise on August 31st. We ate at Candles on the second night as we slowly moved out of Moorea, our most favorite port of call. We watched the beautiful sail away and then had dinner at 7:30PM. Seas were very calm and it was quite enjoyable. Food was outstanding but then again, it was likewise every single breakfast, lunch and dinner on the whole cruise! :)

• 4 months later...

I know on the 2 cruises we have sailed we were only able to re-book Candles once. And that was due to some really rough weather - most passengers were staying in their cabins. We scored the second night at Candles due to so many cancels. If your cruise isn't fully booked, it's possible to get a second night at Candles - which I highly recommend, their food is wonderful.

We just got back for the 11 day cruise. For those looking for our recommendations; the reservations start when it is dark so you don't see anything, so it really dosn't matter what island you make reservations for. We made reservations for the first night and were invited back 2 additional times, by the dinning room manager, without us asking. It was wonderful every time ! The menu stays the same, but was it delicious ! The staff were great as always. It rained one night, but they just moved us under cover, no problemo! While at sea, the wind or waves didn't bother great dinners or dining experience. So in retrospect; it doesn't matter when you go...it is great no matter what ! One small recommendation was it was fun on the first night and it really felt like we were on vacation and on the Windstar cruise experience that keeps bring us back ! We also wish they would change the menu, but the quality is so good it is a small thing.