River cruising as a solo traveller? Any advice as to best cruise line for a solo?

fraj1

I have traveled on nine Grand Circle river cruises and three of their small ship cruises...all as a single. I have found that their prices are consistently lower for singles than any other river cruise line. On a trip with base price of $4895 the single supplement is only $745 or 15%. Most other line charge 50% or more for a single supplement. The lines that have single cabins charge a premium for these..typically $700-$800 more than a similar double occupancy rate on the same deck. I have heard of a few lines (Uniworld?) waiving the single supplement of some trips but you don't always get the dates you desire.

Grand Circle does not wave the single supplement on any of their river cruise but does not charge a supplement on their three small coastal cruise ships. These ships have two single cabins that are usually booked 12 months in advance.

Many travelers do not like Grand Circle because the don't use travel agents and their ships are older. I personally like the fact that travel agents are not used, which helps save me money. The age of the ships is, to me, irreverent because their upkeep is superb that they look new.

Edited by rogerdawhip

AMA also waives the single supplement on some sailings (even those without single rooms). It's hard to predict when that might occur, but probably not on the ships or itineraries that are likely to sell out.

Any of the lines that are waiving the single supplement for a particular cruise are worth a look.

Our personal preference is AMA but you should research the style and personality of the options, as well as the specific inclusions and itinerary, to see what most appeals to you personally.

A theme cruise might be a worth a look as you will find like minded passengers aboard. Our most enjoyable river cruise was wine themed as we are wine afficiandos and met lots of great people with common interests. We are booked on another this fall, again with AMA.

Most people are quite friendly and welcoming of singles on a river cruise; IMO it comes down to the line(s) that appeals to you most.

We are at the airport now, departing for Amsterdam and our first springtime Tulip cruise!

Edited by caviargal

I like Uniworld - sometimes I go on a waived single supplement, other times not. Scenic has a single cabin (I'm told) and apparently it is specifically built, therefore it will be tiny. On Uniworld you get a double bed (ie normal cabin) when you book as a single.

The supplement might be waved at the last minute on not so popular cruises, or early and late season.

I find it's very secure way to travel when I am on my own :)

Hello Fraj1,

as you are based in the UK you could also look at the European based lines like CroisiEurope, Arosa, Transocean and Riviera. It has become customary to offer single-friendly cruises off season. Those lines also have lots of cruises shorter than 8 nights. So many options. Through your local TA you could also ask for the brochures of the UK land tours operators, some nice itineraries availabe there.

"Best" is always subjective... :)

Perhaps it might be best to start with area, itinerary and time span as well as season preferences and take it from there.

notamermaid