Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Wow John!! Amazing!! You found a picture of the Rose! Thank you so much!! I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the Buckner picture didn't come through. Any chance you could resend it? What a gift you are to us oldies reliving much earlier days on the high seas! Thank you again! I have forwarded what you sent so far along to my brother in Florida who is enjoying your research as well!

Fascinating thread John. Thanks for starting it.

Mine was the SS Ariadne, Eastern Steamship Lines, 1964 or 65. Followed the next year by either the Emerald Seas, or the New Emerald Seas, also Eastern Steamshp Lines if I remember correctly.

Then along came the Costa C, The Festival, and many many others, right up to the Eurodam next saturday 10/25. We've had great fun on all of them.

Interesting thing is that I'm not paying a great deal more per day of cruising now than I did way back then, but the quality of the cruise experience is light years ahead of the old days.

Thanks again for this interesting thread.

Wow John!! Amazing!! You found a picture of the Rose! Thank you so much!! I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the Buckner picture didn't come through. Any chance you could resend it? What a gift you are to us oldies reliving much earlier days on the high seas! Thank you again! I have forwarded what you sent so far along to my brother in Florida who is enjoying your research as well!

For some reason, the pics I've posted about the two ships aren't staying. Here are two links for you about the history of both ships:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22123.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22126.htm

What a great question! Aside from time in the Canadian Navy, my first cruise with family was on the Oriana - Hawaii to Auckland in the 1960's. Had a great trip. Then we took the Patris (Chandris Lines) to Melborne. The ship was a disgrace as far as cleanliness and caring staff was concerned!! Made me leary of Celebrity since they use the same logo. But the transformation to Celebrity must have been good as we have sailed many times with them and enjoy them almost as much as HAL. To continue, we left Sydney on the old Canberra and finished their world cruise ending up in Southhampton. That was a wonderful cruise as well. Oh well, many good memories. Thanks for the question. Ron

Ship+Photo+ORIANA.jpg

s/s Oriana (1959-2005) Delivered as an ocean liner to Orient Line and sailed for them until 1966 when that company was fully absorbed into the parent P&O group. From 1973, Oriana was converted to operate as a cruise ship for P&O Cruises and from 1981 until retirement in March 1986, was based in Sydney, Australia. After a layup of two months, the ship was sold and moved to Osaka, Japan in 1986, to become a floating hotel. She was subsequently sold to Chinese interests in 1995 and became an accomodation and hotel ship.

In 2001, she was bought by the Hangzhou Songcheng Group (China) who spent $375,000 to refit her as a tourist attraction in Shanghai and she was subsequently moved to Dalian. She was caught by gale in 2004 and listed severely. Subsequent repairs over another year failed to correct the list and she was broken up at Zhangjiagang, China in 2005

Ship+Photo+ORIANA.jpg

For some reason, the pics I've posted about the two ships aren't staying. Here are two links for you about the history of both ships:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22123.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22126.htm

John,

Once again, thank you so much! My brother and I are having such fun skipping down memory lane together. And all of this talk is getting me even more excited for the Westerdam cruise my DH and I are taking on 11/16/08!

First Cruise, before marriage was on Hellenic Cruises (AKA Kavounides Shipping Co.) "Orion" 1970 in the Greek Islands..Worked for a European Airline & was able to get a 7 day cruise at a good interline rate..It hooked me for life..Wish I could find a picture, but only have a few slides...But have the mimeographed daily programs & the Capt's dinner Menu..LOL

First Cruise after Marriage, was 1983 on Norwegian Caribbean's "Southward".. Still worked for an airline & had to convince DH & Dear Friends (who also were airline employees) that a cruise is something they would enjoy & never forget..Took me a long time to convince them all & believe they only did it just to get me get off their backs..I'm occasionally like a dog with a bone..We all still talk about that first cruise & our fantastic Waiter & Assistant Waiter..Of course, we're all hooked now! None of us have ever had a bad cruise!

Counting down the months, days, hours till our next cruise in Nov. 2009..

Cheers.. Betty

Orion-03.jpg

Achilleus (1953-2006) Built by Ansaldo S.p.A., Livorno, Italy as the 400-passenger (146 first, 148 second and 102 tourist class) Achilleus and completed in 1953 for the Greek government. She was promised to them as part of Italian World War II reparations and was initially operated by Nomikos Lines who placed her on the Southern Europe to Eastern Mediterranean route (Venice, Brindisi, Piraeus, Alexandria, Limassol, Beirut, Port Said, Alexandria).

In 1958, Nomikos sold her and her sister ship Agamemnon to Onassis-owned Olympic Cruises. She continued her Med and Adriatic routes with ports of call including Venice, Brindisi, Piraeus, Alexandria, Limassol, Beirut, Naples and Marseilles. She also made occasional cruises.In 1963, Greek-based Dorian Cruises bought both the Achilleus and Agamemnon from Olympic Cruises

In 1966, Achilleus and her sister ship Agamemnon were put up for sale but no immediate purchaser could be found. In 1968, Kavounides Shipping Company ('K' Lines - Hellenic Cruises) came calling, bought Achilleus and renamed her Orion. She was extensively rebuilt and modernized in 1969 and left the yard being able to accommodate 328 passengers in 128 cabins. She also received full air-conditioning and each of her staterooms now had private facilities.

She was eventually laid up at Eleusis, Greece but bought and converted into day-cruise ship Thomas II (complete with helipad, new public rooms, and a Greek orthodox chapel on her bow). She was again sold, this time to Greek-based Olympic Short Cruises, who renamed her Olympia I. The ship spent most of her time languishing near Piraeus until her sale in early 2006 to Indian shipbreakers.

She left Greece in June 2006 under the name Sun, heading for Port Said, Egypt and the Suez Canal on her way to India, however her Indian crew accidently set fire to the bridge while cooking there (on the Bridge:eek: ). This resulted in Egyptian authorities not allowing her to transit the canal with a damaged bridge, so she was resold to Turkish breakers. She subsequently arrived at Aliaga, Turkey on November 1, 2006 and was immediately beached for scrapping.

Ship+Photo+THOMAS+II.jpg

sunbeaching(2)w.jpg

Ours was on the Home Lines' Atlantic from NYC to Bermuda. [Anyone know what happened to her?] Did we get hooked? Just look at my sig! And yet, have never received the same high level of food and service as on the Atlantic. Maybe now on HAL?? I'm hoping, but fear those days are gone forever.

Ship+Photo+Atlantic.jpg

ms Atlantic (1982-present) Built in 1982 by the CNIM (Constructions Industrielles de la Méditerranée) shipyard in La Seyne, France for Home Lines as ms Atlantic. She was sold to Premier Cruise Line in 1988, shortly after Home Lines were bought by Holland America Line, joining her former running mate Oceanic. She sailed for them between 1988 and 1997 as the ms StarShip Atlantic from Port Canaveral, Fl on 3 and 4-night cruises to Nassau, the Bahamas and the Out Islands. In 1997 she entered service for MSC Cruises as ms Melody and she was renamed MSC Melody in 2004. She is still sailing for them today

Ship+Photo+MELODY.JPG

My first cruise ship experience was in June 1960 on the Italian Line's SS Aurelia to LeHavre, as a student traveling to France for a summer of study and travel. I sailed home in September 1960 from Rotterdam on the Holland America ship Groote Beer. It was 33 years before I sailed on another ship but I never forgot how much I enjoyed being on the ocean and hoped I'd get another chance. In November 1993 I sailed on the MS Statendam in her inaugural year. For the past 15 years I've enjoyed indulging my passion for cruising every chance I could get. Fortunately, my DH also became addicted to cruising.

( Photo of Prinsendam)

Royal Viking Sun (1988-present) Built in 1988 by Wartsila Shipyards, Turku, Finland for Royal Viking Line (part of the Kloster Group) for worldwide cruising. She was transferred to the Cunard Group in 1994 when they acquired Royal Viking Line (but only two of the ships). Following the Carnival takeover of Cunard in 1999, Royal Viking Sun was transferred to Seabourn Cruise Line to become Seabourn Sun.

Copper John - Captain Albert provides some interesting history of the Prinsendam in his blog. Apparently, in her earlier incarnation as Royal Viking Sun, she ran aground in the Red Sea in 1996 & was beached until damage could be assessed. Cunard had to pay $23M to the Egyptian authorities for damage to the reef! The Captain resigned & the Officer of the Watch was dismissed.

Captain Albert also confirms that Captain Turner was Master of the Prinsendam from 2006-2008. He was our fave. Sure hope he lands with HAL on another dam ship! ;);)

Copper John - Captain Albert provides some interesting history of the Prinsendam in his blog. Apparently, in her earlier incarnation as Royal Viking Sun, she ran aground in the Red Sea in 1996 & was beached until damage could be assessed. Cunard had to pay $23M to the Egyptian authorities for damage to the reef! The Captain resigned & the Officer of the Watch was dismissed.

Captain Albert also confirms that Captain Turner was Master of the Prinsendam from 2006-2008. He was our fave. Sure hope he lands with HAL on another dam ship! ;);)

Check out this link re: the grounding of Royal Viking Sun;)

http://www.avidcruiser.com/geoff/?p=221

My first cruise was on Costa's Carla C, it was in 1979 out of San Juan,

Not only my first cruise but I went solo, and stayed in a single inside cabin way up in the bow. I remember having to step up & over the door way. All of the announcements were several languages, Spanish, Italian, German and English.

As a young single woman cruiser it was an adventure for me.

I had a great time, learned the DUCK dance and the Carla CCCCCC song, and how to love cruising!

I was hooked on cruising from then on. The second was on the Old Pacific Princess ( the LOVE BOAT)!

Martini Cruiser

What a great question! Aside from time in the Canadian Navy, my first cruise with family was on the Oriana - Hawaii to Auckland in the 1960's. Had a great trip. Then we took the Patris (Chandris Lines) to Melborne. The ship was a disgrace as far as cleanliness and caring staff was concerned!! Made me leary of Celebrity since they use the same logo. But the transformation to Celebrity must have been good as we have sailed many times with them and enjoy them almost as much as HAL. To continue, we left Sydney on the old Canberra and finished their world cruise ending up in Southhampton. That was a wonderful cruise as well. Oh well, many good memories. Thanks for the question. Ron

patris-bloemcastle.jpg

Bloemfontein Castle (1950-1987) Built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast, Northern Ireland for the Union Castle Line (UK) and used on their London (Southampton) to South and East Africa (Rhodesia) service. She departed Southampton on April 6, 1950 for her maiden voyage to Rotterdam, Las Palmas, Ascension Island, St. Helena, Walvis Bay and Cape Town. She returned via Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban, Maputo and Beira.

In 1959, due to the ever declining loads, Union Castle decided to place several ships including the Bloemfontein up for sale. She was purchased by Greek-based Chandris Lines and she returned to Southampton on November 9, 1959. Renamed Patris, her capacity was increased to 1,036 souls and she was used on the Athens (Piraeus) to Australia service. She was painted white with a blue funnel including the company's insignia "X" ("X" is the Greek "Ch" in the Greek alphabet which stands for "Chandris."

She departed Piraeus on December 14, 1959 for her maiden voyage to Australia, sailing via the Suez Canal to Fremantle, Melbourne, and Sydney, where she arrived on January 9, 1960. Due to the closure of the Suez Canal between 1967 and 1972, she sailed to Australia via Cape Town, returning via the Panama Canal. During the late sixties and early seventies, Patris operated a number of cruises out of Sydney, as well as Trans Tasman voyages.

For a while in 1972, she was used on a Fremantle, Australia to Singapore service as a cruise ship, and due to cheap airfares available from Singapore, she was part of an inexpensive “Fly-Cruise” operation for British and European passengers. However, this soon became unpopular and she was laid up in Singapore in 1974. Chandris then gave her another refit, and restarted the Fremantle to Singapore service. After cyclone Tracy hit northern Australia on 25 December, 1974, she was chartered to the Australian Government and used as an accommodation ship in Darwin until November 1975.

After her time in Darwin, Patris was in a poor condition so she was sent back to Greece where she was refitted to become a passenger car ferry. She could carry 260 cars in garage space in what was Doric deck, which had all cabins and service areas ripped out. Cars were loaded through large side-loading doors cut into her hull. She commenced her new service in early 1977, under the joint operation of Chandris & Karageorgis Lines on the Venice-Ancona-Patras service. She operated some cruises, but these were not successful.

Two years later, in 1980, Chandris Lines sold her outright to Karageorgis Line who renamed her Mediterranean Island. In 1981 Karageorgis changed her name to Mediterranean Star and placed her on the Piraeus-Alexandria run. In 1982 she suffered a major fire in her engine room fire, causing all passengers and most of her crew to abandon ship. With a reduced crew, she was sent to Perama, Greece for repairs but remained laid up there.

In 1987, she was sold was sold to a St Vincent owner for breaking up. She was renamed Terra for her final voyage to Karachi, Pakistan, where she was broken up that same year.

Ship+Photo+PATRIS.jpg

1973- graduated from colleage and recevied $300 in cash gifts from family,etc. Had to pay my sister $100 to go with me...on Sitmar Fairwind...total cost with airfare from Providence was $286..00 !!! As soon as she saw all the Italian crew lined up in the lobby she was a gonner... We loved Sitmar and sailed on Fairwind and Fairsea about 7 or 8 times until they were sold to Princess. Have since done Chandris, Celebrity, RCCL , Costa and will try HAL in April. I still like to cruise but boy, maybe because we were young and unsophisticated but I really loved the earlier days for me... smaller ships, less trying to sell you everything, more exotic food , continental service and nice dance music.

Now we go with our DH's and still nice but lost some of the excitement and the glamour.

1973 The Sun Princess (was the Spirit of London) Vancouver to Los Angeles. Followed by 1974 Pacific Princess and 1975 Island Princess.

SpiritofLondon02.jpg

Spirit of London (1974-present) Built by Cantieri Navali del Tireno e Rimini S.p.A, Genoa, Italy, she was initially ordered by Norwegian-based Kloster Rederi A/S as a sister ship to Southward, to be named Seaward, for Norwegian Caribbean Line (NCL). In 1970 the shipyard encountered financial trouble and was taken over by the Italian IRI Group. IRI cancelled the contract due to expected financial losses. After protest of the owner as well as the Norwegian Governement, futher construction of the ship took place until she became partially completed. NCL then pulled out of the deal and P&O bought her unfinished hull.

In 1974, P&O bought Princess Cruises and she was renamed Sun Princess, joining Island Princess and Pacific Princess in the Princess fleet. She ship appeared in the 1975 "Columbo" episode "Troubled Waters" guest starring Robert Vaughn, as well as in the 1980 movie "Herbie Goes Bananas."

Ship+Photo+Sun+Princess.jpg

In 1988, she was purchased by Premier Cruises who initially renamed her Majestic, becoming one of their "big red boats", and one year later in 1989, Starship Majestic for Florida-Bahamas cruising.

StarShipmajestic01.jpg

In 1994, she was purchased by C.T.C. Lines and renamed Southern Cross for world wide cruising. She was renamed again in 1998 when Festival Cruises began operating her as the Flamenco. After Festival Cruises collapsed, she was acquired in 2004 at public action for $12.25 Million as New Flamenco by Fulton Shipping Inc. / Elysian Cruises and chartered to Spanish Travelplan/Globelia Cruises.

In November 2007, fast expanding Dutch Club Cruise purchased her as their fifth ship. In Januray 2008, she was renamed Flamenco 1 and deployed as a hotel ship in New Caledonia for six to nine months. After this period ends, she will be chartered to the Japanese-based Peaceboat Organization for approximately five years.

Ship+Photo+New+Flamengo.jpg

Our maiden voyage was on the NCL Skyward, 1978. It was seven days out of Miami, visiting San Juan, St. Thomas, Cap Hatien (Haiti) and Puerto Plata (D.R.)

It was a wonderful first-time itinerary; Haiti was especially interesting. Too bad they don't/can't go there anymore.

We were on a tight budget and had a tiny cabin with top and bottom bunks. Although the ship and its amenities pales by comparison to today's fleets, we thought it was great- wonderful food (although it was strictly early or late seating for B, L, and D- no Lido-type option, just hamburgers or hot dogs on deck), good service, mediocre entertainment as I recall.

Yes indeed, we were hooked on cruising, although our young family kept us from going again until 1995. We took the kids to Alaska on the Ryndam that year. I still think it might be my favorite ship of all.

Fortunately, since then we've been back on HAL several times, and have tried most of the others as well. HAL remains my favorite; we're doing Australia and NZ on the Volendam next month!

My first was Cunard's Canberra going to the Caribbean

in the 70's.

Ship+Photo+CANBERRA.jpg

s/s Canberra (1961-1997) Delivered to P & O to operate the combined P&O-Orient Line service between the UK and Australia. After this route became unprofitable, a refit in 1974 saw the Canberra adapted to cruising. After the Argentine invasion of the Falkland islands in 1982 Canberra was requisitioned as a troopship. Nicknamed the Great White Whale, she transported the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Marines to the islands. Whilst the QE 2 was held to be too vulnerable to enter the war zone, Canberra was sent to the heart of the conflict.

After a lengthy refit, Canberra returned to civilian service as a cruise ship. Her role in the Falklands War made her very popular with the British public, and ticket sales after her return were elevated for many years as a result. Age and high running costs eventually caught up with her though, as she had much higher fuel consumption than most modern cruise ships. She was withdrawn from service in September 1997 and sold to ship breakers for scrapping, leaving for Gadani Beach, Pakistan the next month. She did not give up without a fight however; her deep draft meant that she could not be beached as far as most ships, and due to her solid construction the scrapping process took nearly a year instead of the estimated three months.

Our first cruise was a three day out of Seattle on the Amsterdam. We went with two other couples. The idea behind the cruise was the “girls” knew they would love cruising, the “guys” were not so sure. Being boaters I think our DH’s thought they would have a hard time relaxing with someone else at the helm.

We planned the trip a year in advance reserving balcony cabins next door to each other. Before we left we received our cabin numbers and luggage tags but when we checked in we were informed that we were in a different cabin. Well I started complaining “What! We booked this cruise a year in advance with our friends and we are all suppose to be next door to one another!” the poor women checking me in explained that madam you have been upgraded to a SUITE . . .well my reaction at that point was “friends? what friends?? show us the way to our fabulous suite! Luckily all three couples had been upgraded to suites . . . .and of course we all had a fabulous time on HAL and have loved cruising ever since! :)

Our first cruise was a three day out of Seattle on the Amsterdam. We went with two other couples. The idea behind the cruise was the “girls” knew they would love cruising, the “guys” were not so sure. Being boaters I think our DH’s thought they would have a hard time relaxing with someone else at the helm.

We planned the trip a year in advance reserving balcony cabins next door to each other. Before we left we received our cabin numbers and luggage tags but when we checked in we were informed that we were in a different cabin. Well I started complaining “What! We booked this cruise a year in advance with our friends and we are all suppose to be next door to one another!” the poor women checking me in explained that madam you have been upgraded to a SUITE . . .well my reaction at that point was “friends? what friends?? show us the way to our fabulous suite! Luckily all three couples had been upgraded to suites . . . .and of course we all had a fabulous time on HAL and have loved cruising ever since! :)

Ship+Photo+Amsterdam.jpg

m/s Amsterdam III (2000-present)

First Cruise, before marriage was on Hellenic Cruises (AKA Kavounides Shipping Co.) "Orion" 1970 in the Greek Islands..Worked for a European Airline & was able to get a 7 day cruise at a good interline rate..It hooked me for life..Wish I could find a picture, but only have a few slides...But have the mimeographed daily programs & the Capt's dinner Menu..LOL

First Cruise after Marriage, was 1983 on Norwegian Caribbean's "Southward".. Still worked for an airline & had to convince DH & Dear Friends (who also were airline employees) that a cruise is something they would enjoy & never forget..Took me a long time to convince them all & believe they only did it just to get me get off their backs..I'm occasionally like a dog with a bone..We all still talk about that first cruise & our fantastic Waiter & Assistant Waiter..Of course, we're all hooked now! None of us have ever had a bad cruise! :D

Counting down the months, days, hours till our next cruise in Nov. 2009.. :( :(

Cheers..:) Betty

Ship+Photo+SOUTHWARD.jpg

m/s Southward (1971-present) Southward entered service with Norwegian Cruise Line in 1971, and operated with them (including service from California) until sold to Airtours/My Travel in 1994. She was renamed Seawing at that time and was operated by Sun Cruises. Purchased in 2004 by Louis Hellenic Cruises, she was renamed Perla and served under than name until 2008. She is currently sailing for Golden Sun Cruises under the temporary name of Aegean Pearl.

Ship+Photo+Perla.jpg

My first cruise was October 26, 1985 on the Carnival Holiday and it was the best week of my life. I am now hooked on Cruising.

Ship+Photo+Holiday.jpg

"Holiday" (1984-present) Delivered in 1984 to Carnival Cruise Lines for which she is still sailing. However, she will be transferred to Spanish Line Iberocruceros, a joint venture between Carnival and Orizonia, for which she will become Grand Holiday in NOV 2009