Different Person On A Cruise?

TahitiRoses

We have only done this once and it did get things working at the table in the MDR. Our first night we were seated with a lovely couple from the midwest and their three college aged kids. I was traveling with my DH and my DS who was a senior in HS at the time and played Offensive Tackle. He's a 6'3" hulking gentle giant.

The first night at dinner we tried to engage them in conversation and it was a little quiet, somewhat awkward, and rather dull. The next night I asked the kids if they had gotten tickets to the ice show and they clearly weren't interested so I started weaving a silly fantastic tale about how my gigantic son was on his school's ice dancing team during the off season and we were going to check out the intricate footwork and that we were really hoping he could follow in his father's footsteps and make the water ballet team in college. I then went on to tell them how excited I was for the evening show because the performer had won five straight episodes of Star Search and I told them I had all of them on VHS tapes in my cabin if they wanted to borrow them. They looked at us a bit shocked at first and it dawned on them I was jerking around with them and they started laughing and weaving their own fantastic tales. By the end of dinner the daughter was the consultant for the archery sequences in the hunger games, the brother who always ordered two entrees was a competitive eater and the other brother was training to increase his nap times daily. The ice was broken and everyone relaxed.

The rest of the trip we had fun and joshed one another. I have no idea why I was being so silly that night. I was just trying to get people to talk.

Not exactly being someone else, but throughout my adult life I have been approached by strangers who swear I look exactly like "George", "Dr. Brown", or "Cousin Ralph", or someone they know. If I remember correctly, it happened on our cruise in 2005, too. I tell people no, I'm not that person, but when God made the perfect man--short, fat, balding, bearded--he didn't _break_ the mold, he _mass-produced_ us!:p

Hi all, after reading all these comments, I felt that I had to respond to some of them. Like most, I do change too,,,, more relaxed, must less stressed and content. However, if I did happen to be at a meal with a couple that went on about a whole bunch of stuff that I later found out to be totally false, then I have to say that this would be a couple that I would not want to converse with for the remainder of the cruise. Assuming another identity,or lying is the same,,,, how boring must ones life be to feel that in order to be interesting that you have to make out that you are someone that you are not. Now I'm sorry if this offends some people and don't mean to be a prude about it but come on people, be yourself and enjoy life, its just too short !!

• 1 month later...
Hi all, after reading all these comments, I felt that I had to respond to some of them. Like most, I do change too,,,, more relaxed, must less stressed and content. However, if I did happen to be at a meal with a couple that went on about a whole bunch of stuff that I later found out to be totally false, then I have to say that this would be a couple that I would not want to converse with for the remainder of the cruise. Assuming another identity,or lying is the same,,,, how boring must ones life be to feel that in order to be interesting that you have to make out that you are someone that you are not. Now I'm sorry if this offends some people and don't mean to be a prude about it but come on people, be yourself and enjoy life, its just too short !!

You fail to see the humor in this??? This just adds to the fun. It's not that life is to short it just that you are dead for so long!!!

Try to relax more and see the fun around you. :D

• 6 months later...

Well let's face it everyone. ...! We're all on holiday! And when we're on a cruise ship we are all part of a unique holiday - for the duration of the cruise we are all part of a cruise community! This means that OF COURSE we are different - we don't have to do the dishes, clean up, cook, pick up the towels, change the sheets or do the laundry! We can do as little or as much as we like! We can eat as little or as much as we like! We can party til the early hours or we can go to bed at 7pm! We can enjoy entertainment every single night, or we can sleep the day away on a lounge chair by the pool......of course we're different when we're on a cruise, because WE'RE ON HOLIDAY!!😎😎😎😎

• 8 months later...

Oh most definitely! I am the worrier, the keeper of the finances, the breadwinner, the responsible one, the non-drinker, and just overall stuffy and boring at home. I neurotically budget and plan to pay for these things in cash upfront (credit cards scare me!), so I don't have to worry about a single thing on board.

And then Cruise Me comes out to play.....cruise me likes to dance in the clubs (which I NEVER do on shore....hate them, actually), drink like a fish, and party until the wee hours of the morning. It's like there's this little sorority girl inside me that only comes out on a cruise ship. I did something on my first cruise I never understood how to do....I had fun. So much so, I decided to sail on the Gem this year with my best friend for my birthday. Any Gem goers on the July 11 sailing will see me as the super excited fun girl in the hot pink sash that says "Birthday Diva." (Again, something I would NEVER do....I'm usually a shy bookworm!)

We are very different on a cruise than at home. I tend to let my hair down (sometimes too much, trying to keep up with the younger ones). I drink a lot more than I normally do (thank you drink package). Coming from the North Of Scotland, we don’t get much need for holiday clothes, so we also dress a lot different. I work away for 6 months of the year (28 on 28 off), so I make the most of the time with my beautiful wife and family. I also like a little Karaoke (ok truth be told, I would do this at home).

Cruising suits us, as it does for everyone on here, as we can all participate as much or as little with whatever we want.

The one thing I wish we all were on holiday is a little more polite to the staff. I cruised on the Freedom at New Year, my first Caribbean cruise, and was shocked by the amount of people, who had no manners, not even a please or thank you towards the bar staff.

My mum says “ it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice”

We are very different on a cruise than at home. I tend to let my hair down (sometimes too much, trying to keep up with the younger ones). I drink a lot more than I normally do (thank you drink package). Coming from the North Of Scotland, we don’t get much need for holiday clothes, so we also dress a lot different. I work away for 6 months of the year (28 on 28 off), so I make the most of the time with my beautiful wife and family. I also like a little Karaoke (ok truth be told, I would do this at home).

Cruising suits us, as it does for everyone on here, as we can all participate as much or as little with whatever we want.

The one thing I wish we all were on holiday is a little more polite to the staff. I cruised on the Freedom at New Year, my first Caribbean cruise, and was shocked by the amount of people, who had no manners, not even a please or thank you towards the bar staff.

My mum says “ it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice”

Your mum is wise! [emoji6]

I don't believe I'm a different person on the cruise I would like to believe that I'm sort of what you see is what you get. But on the cruise it is easier to relax and leave your worries by the wayside so in essence I guess that makes me a better me. And I totally agree with your mother very wise woman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We are retired and travel most of the year. I think, because of that, I am the same person all the time. While I was still working I would like to think that I was always the same person, but I doubt I was. Stress at work made it difficult to be smiling, happy and relaxed all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

We are the better us on cruises, for sure. By "the better us" I mean we relax, don't worry about a thing, and just enjoy the fun. Everyday cares kind of keep us from really relaxing like that much in our day-to-day, so I'm pretty sure you've hit on exactly why we've fallen in love with cruising.

I am definitely a different person while traveling...especially while on a cruise.

My dh doesn't like to travel (he even thinks going on a cruise is a "dumb vacation")

I'm more relaxed and myself on a cruise with not having to worry if I will upset my dh.

Boring!!!:eek:

When we cruise we love to fake people out. We will go out of our way to be someone else! Last cruise we were doctors, once we worked for and undisclosed federal agency... As you say these people will never know who you are or what you do... Besides if you tell them your travel agents they bug the crap out of you...:)

This time I think we will be a professional golfer and wife, people eat it up...

This is you captain speaking, or is it!!!:D Enjoy C.G.

I put on a fake POM accent and tell people I am a minor member of the Royal Family.

The people I work with would probably not even recognize me when I am cruising. At work I am pretty much all business. On a cruise I like to let my hair down and have fun. A good example of it would be me screaming and yelling trying to get chosen for "Minute to Win it" I think I embarrassed my husband, but I did get chosen and had a blast.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I relax. I have a very hectic job with a lot of intercontinental travel in economy class (just traveled for 26 hours to Botswana and in 3 days I'll be doing it in reverse on my way back to uk). All our holidays are planned with military precision (I make itineraries which I issue (cringe) and which my husband's only response is :when do we get to relax and do nothing?")

But on a cruise I change and a cpt that things are outside my control and so I do relax. For me lots of sea days are best becuase either can't be getting everyone up to go and see this port or that port. Did a TA this summer on QM2 and it was total relaxation for me. Yes I did stuff but there was no "if we don't go and see this castle/ monastery/museum/view we might not get another chance".

Off to Caribbean on QM2 for Christmas and while I have read up on the ports there doesn't seem to be much that I will HAVE to see.

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely much different when I'm on a cruise, which is why I prefer to cruise alone!! :D I tend to be much more outgoing. I actually want to bring the cruise me to my every day life this year. I like me in general but I really like me when I'm on vacation lol

• 4 weeks later...

I found that I had an easier time approaching women. Not in a pick-up kind of way, but more like a friendly "Care to dance?" way, when there's a band or just good music. (I do quite a bit of classic dancing as a hobby.) Women also seemed to respond in kind: I rarely got turned down, and when I did, it was done very nicely. Don't know if something about a cruise makes them feel safer than in land-based clubs, or because most cruises have more single women than single men. But either way, it affected my cruise persona.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I tend to live it up on cruises, primarily because we normally know no one, except for a small number we may be traveling with.

We do old-time rock 'n' roll dancing and often, from around 4:30pm, dress up ready for the night. My wife wears 60's circle dresses and high heels. I wear black pants, dance shoes, braces, a tie and a trilby.

Because we're usually up at the break of dawn and stay up to 11:00pm to midnight, we take a 30 minute siesta most afternoons around 3:00pm. Then get up, shower, dress up and have an afternoon drink at whatever is our favourite bar/pub before dinner.

The funny thing this time is, we're not anonymous on this cruise! 16 family members are going. On top of that, by coincidence, another 11 friends are going. Not all of them will quite comprehend what this dressing up thing is all about. We know we're going to get some funny looks as they sit at nearby bars: Unshaven and wearing board shorts and T-shirts.

• 2 weeks later...

I too feel like a different person. Much more relaxed and excited. . and grateful for the opportunity. I'm generally a pretty nice and polite person. But on a ship. . .I think I get a little more 'open'. I like to engage in conversation. . be more 'chit-chatty' with people. . get to know people. .find out where they are from. Especially if they have an accent different from mine. . .which doesn't feel like an accent at all to me! :)

• 1 month later...

No responsibilities No schedules. Of course we're different. That's why we go! We dress up for every meal, not just formal nights. We talk to strangers. We hold hands, We have public displays of affection. We drink during the day. We have desert before dinner. No technology!! I'm so sad to see half the Lido deck staring into their phones. We never turn on the TV. It's great to be different!

• 1 month later...

I feel no need to be the boss that I am everyday, no need to control anything, no need to make decisions, except for deciding what kind of fun to have. I am the best of me on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD