Question for the 75 plus experienced solo cruisers

Moz

Would anyone have a reference for me to contact as I would love to cruise and can't persuade my children to go with me and I am recently widowed. Are there any cruises that have a guide or someone in charge that would look out for someone alone also would arrange a suitable cabin mate to share a room. I have looked online with no luck and trust that someone on this site could steer me to the right direction to a travel site in a sincere and trustworthy manner. Thank you.

Would anyone have a reference for me to contact as I would love to cruise and can't persuade my children to go with me and I am recently widowed. Are there any cruises that have a guide or someone in charge that would look out for someone alone also would arrange a suitable cabin mate to share a room. I have looked online with no luck and trust that someone on this site could steer me to the right direction to a travel site in a sincere and trustworthy manner. Thank you.

Along with googling single cruises and single travel - there are travel companies that offer holidays including cruises geared towards older travelers...for example Grand Circle in the US and Saga Holidays in the UK.

Holland America still offers a single share program, I believe.

I have been on "hosted" cruises and have to say that in my experience their cabin matching was really no more than matching the gender and attempting to find a similar age -if that's enough to be suitable, then the Holland America share might work well for you.

I found the hosts assigned to these groups to be nice enough but as far as "looking out for someone alone" - generally on a group singles cruise everyone comes alone so I don't know how much individual assistance they would be able to give you.

Hope that helps a bit.....

Another idea is to check out what used to be called Elderhostel and is now called Road Scholar. They have a lot of trips aimed at the 50+ set, including cruises. I've never been on one but they have a good reputation and I have a friend in her late 60s who swears by them.

With 136 posts I assume you have cruised before and have your preferences, both ship and ports. No one is going to take care of you unless paid or offered a free cruise. As said above, cruise mates professionally supplied only consider female or male. Their job is to sell cabins. The 2 doing hosted cruises do a good job. Just search them for monthly cruises on most lines. You do not even have to attend their events. I enjoyed their group dining each evening. For a more personalized approach to finding a cruise mate there is a site with that name.

• 2 weeks later...

If at all possible - book your own cabin - even an interior(which I do) . You will find that after having your own cabin you won't want to share - even with someone you know let alone a stranger!!! Going solo is wonderful - no stress of someone else to accommodate or please!!

Moz

Dont feel bad - I am 68 female and never been on cruise OR A PLANE yet! I am like you I dont want to go it alone and find some websites for travelers disgusting for single woman.... I live in NJ and would love to get to my bucket list. Its about time no??? Where are you located in what state?

Edited by lolakitty37
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Moz,

our family is going on an Alaskan cruise through Holland America next August (2014); and my mother, widowed also a long time ago, needs a roomie! She is 79.

Are you still searching for a cruise and someone to room with, the rooms costs are too expensive for her to be in a room alone.

I'm not sure how you get me your info in order to communicate offline, if you are interested. I guess you post your email address?? unless these boards offer private communication? I don't know.

It would help if you could narrow down where you would like to cruise and when. I cruise solo on RCL and have found many cruises that have a solo supplement of 150, which can be very affordable for an inside cabin.

I've cruised primarily on the Explorer from Bayonne in the winter before President's Day and have found many solo cruisers and active roll calls where I made many contacts for dinner and private excursions as well as good prices. I just got back from a Transatlantic on the Brilliance that was a fantastic cruise with many solos. Itineraries with sea days can give you a chance to relax and meet others. On a port intensive cruise folks tend to be very busy without the extra leisure time to socialize.

My advice would be to stay away from the mega ships that attract the "once in a lifetime" cruisers rather than the regular cruisers. The inside cabins on the RCL Radiance and Voyager class ships are the same size as the OV's and the E balconies and being close to the aft elevators is super convenient. On my recent cruise I had an inside guarantee on deck 2 - spent very little time in my cabin. Having my own space to escape was way more important than sharing a cabin with a roommate.

To celebrate my 75th birthday, I took my first "solo" TA last April after my husband died in August. I use a walker due to a bleed into my spinal cord 4 years ago. This trip was a "see if you can do it" challenge to myself. My plan was to get my own cabin with a balcony, load up my kindle and sit on the balcony and read.

Turned out that there were so many things to enjoy on sea days that I didn't spend much time reading. Everyone on the ship was kind and helpful. The cabin steward watched over me like a hawk -- making sure that I didn't need anything. The table had 3 other singles and a couple with an adult daughter. They were great and we got along just fine.

In other words, traveling solo was wonderful. I made friends at every program I participated in -- and we still keep in touch.

I am going on another TA in December and can't wait.

I hope you get up your nerve and just do it. Just remember to smile all the time and participate in activities. I can almost guarantee you will have fun.

elaine

Moz been cruising for years solo,may I suggest you book a 4 or 5 nighter to try it out. I've never went with a room mate,a stranger it could end up being a trip from hell. I shop around some times each day for a good cheap rate I need my space.

You state" someone to look out for me" Are you handicapped,sickly?? You want a care taker then you'd have to pay for their cruise

If she's got a cruise in mind and the inside is still too expensive, post that info and see if people looking for a roomie for that particular cruise have suggestions as to the best way to find someone.

good luck -- keep us posted. i hope your mom gets to go!

I hope she gets to go too! :confused:

I'll post again:

I'm looking for someone to share a room with my mother (age 79). This is just to share the room expense! She does not need 'care'. There will be other family members on the cruise; but they are all paired up.

If interested, please email me! (include tel. # if you email me) thanks....

It's Holland America, Alaskan cruise; round trip Vancouver, August, 2014.

mlorenw@rcn.com for more info

thanks! :)

To celebrate my 75th birthday, I took my first "solo" TA last April after my husband died in August. I use a walker due to a bleed into my spinal cord 4 years ago. This trip was a "see if you can do it" challenge to myself. My plan was to get my own cabin with a balcony, load up my kindle and sit on the balcony and read.

Turned out that there were so many things to enjoy on sea days that I didn't spend much time reading. Everyone on the ship was kind and helpful. The cabin steward watched over me like a hawk -- making sure that I didn't need anything. The table had 3 other singles and a couple with an adult daughter. They were great and we got along just fine.

In other words, traveling solo was wonderful. I made friends at every program I participated in -- and we still keep in touch.

I am going on another TA in December and can't wait.

I hope you get up your nerve and just do it. Just remember to smile all the time and participate in activities. I can almost guarantee you will have fun.

elaine

I don't know you at all, but all I have to say is "you go girl!". Totally proud of you for meeting your challenge you set for yourself! You are a wonderful example for others.

Cheers.

sounds wonderful! :rolleyes:

but it's just too outrageously expensive for my mother to be a room alone with the 100% single supplement! (this particular cruise she's going on).

but good for you! :)

I'm 72 and know I don't need anymore "stuff" trying to downsize. Instead of Christmas, Mother's Day and birthday presents why not have family members chip in and help pay for the cabin. Bet she would enjoy that more than another something that she really doesn't need or want. Besides privacy I think she would sleep better(I know I do) without a room mate and gives her the opportunity to read, watch TV or go to bed when she wants and not have to consider someone else.