Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

My wife and I are going this cruise in 2014 and thought I would start this thread so anyone can ask questions, share any plans, or ask for suggestions. As this is new cruise there may not be a lot of past experience to draw upon. That's why I'm thinking this is better at this point then setting up a roll call for the specific cruise.

Right now we are in the process of figuring out when/where we are on our own and looking at options. I will fill everyone in on what I find and if you could as well we will all be pretty smart before we go.

To start out with:

We will be Going mid July so we expect it to be hot. We decided get a French Balcony room to get more air in the room. Do we really need a Balcony if we are not spending that much time traveling (it looks like everything is pretty close.) Are we over-thinking the heat?

We booked the are though Viking and will be extending our trip with the Viking Paris tour afterwards. Should we do all of that on our own and bypass Viking?

I kind of like the fact the Viking takes care of the transfers and such but am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

We always did air and transfers with Viking and never had any issues: very good flight schedule and always ontime. Btw, why you did not take "Loire Valley" extension instead of Paris? It seems to be one of the best they offer.

Thanks for starting this thread ~ hopefully we can learn from each other and passengers on other cruise lines who've experienced the Bordeaux area.

We're booked on this cruise in October 2014. We booked early since I was sure it'd be a sell-out - maybe I was mistaken! But still really looking forward to the experience. DH is a wine enthusiast ~ main reason we took the Rhone River cruise last year! We booked a balcony hoping October would be warm enough to use it even in port - maybe we overspent but wanted it!

We haven't fully decided on pre/post plans but, as of now, thinking of a few days on our own in Paris pre-cruise and perhaps remaining in Bordeaux a few days post. Still have to check out Bordeaux - but thinking of a Loire Valley day trip from the city.

We did 4 days in Paris pre-cruise last year and had a great time - just not long enough!!! I enjoy doing the trips on our own since then we can choose where we'll stay. Just a matter of personal choice.

We always did air and transfers with Viking and never had any issues: very good flight schedule and always ontime. Btw, why you did not take "Loire Valley" extension instead of Paris? It seems to be one of the best they offer.

We always wanted to go to Paris, we plan to do all of the expected things and hopefully get back some day to dig a little deeper. That said my impression of the "Loire Valley" extension was that it would be similar to some of what we would be seeing on the cruise. I did not give it much consideration however and will take another look.

Thanks for starting this thread ~ hopefully we can learn from each other and passengers on other cruise lines who've experienced the Bordeaux area.

We're booked on this cruise in October 2014. We booked early since I was sure it'd be a sell-out - maybe I was mistaken! But still really looking forward to the experience. DH is a wine enthusiast ~ main reason we took the Rhone River cruise last year! We booked a balcony hoping October would be warm enough to use it even in port - maybe we overspent but wanted it!

We haven't fully decided on pre/post plans but, as of now, thinking of a few days on our own in Paris pre-cruise and perhaps remaining in Bordeaux a few days post. Still have to check out Bordeaux - but thinking of a Loire Valley day trip from the city.

We did 4 days in Paris pre-cruise last year and had a great time - just not long enough!!! I enjoy doing the trips on our own since then we can choose where we'll stay. Just a matter of personal choice.

We have done Italy on our own a few times but I spoke the language. I'm a bit intimidated by France and thought that doing the package would help get our feet wet and help us be more comfortable doing it on our own the next time. My wife and I have been learning about wine and that is what attracted us to this trip as well.

July is the hottest part of the year in the Bordeaux region. You should expect with temperatures ranging from a pleasant 15 to a warm 26 degrees Celsius (60 - 80 F)

Of course, like all of Europe, this is only possible to predict accurately a couple of weeks ahead at most.

Do we really need a Balcony if we are not spending that much time traveling (it looks like everything is pretty close.) Are we over-thinking the heat?

Hey vcgeno, that looks like a great cruise - I think it will be the next cruise we take in another year or two. As I said on my review of the Portraits of Southern France tour, while a balcony would be nice, I don't think I would go for it as we really spent very very little time in our room. The window was large enough and opened wide enough to provide plenty of fresh air into the room if you need it.

We booked the are though Viking and will be extending our trip with the Viking Paris tour afterwards. Should we do all of that on our own and bypass Viking?

I kind of like the fact the Viking takes care of the transfers and such but am I missing something?

The Viking transfers are well worth it imo. We did the post cruise extension in Paris. Viking took care of the room with a daily breakfast (not very good actually but I blame that on Marriott, not Viking). Our Viking rep gave us a quick 1 hour tour of the area when we arrived and explained how to use the Metro and to be careful of the various pickpockets and scam artists that prey on tourists in Paris. Very useful information.

The first full day Viking provided a half day walking tour that included metro tickets and a tour of the City Island area that includes Notre Dame. After that, we were on our own for the next day and a half until a Viking arranged transfer took us to the airport for our flight home. I would definitely use Viking again for transfers and pre/post extensions.

Thanks for all of the posts. I did a quick run through of the itinerary to read up on the "on your own" cities. If i am reading things right I have the following:

Day 1: Bordeaux Arrival time unknown. Looks like any time you are there is on your own time. Ship does not leave until Day 2.

Day 2 Travel to Pauillac (Margaux) in the morning. Wine tour in the afternoon. Evening on your own.

Day 3 Travel to Blaye (Cognac) in the morning. City Tour followed by some free time or optional tour of Cognac (assuming some tasting is involved but don’t know that).

Day 4 Libourn (Saint-Emilion) Morning tour of Saint Emilion (wine tasting involved) Optional Tour of Bergerac in the Dardogne or do things on your own for the remainder of the day.

Day 5 Cadillac (Sauternes) Cruise all morning. Sauterns tour and tasting in the afternoon. Evening on your own.

Day 6 Cadillac and Bordeaux. Walking tour in the morning then set sail. Afternoon and evening on your own in Bordeaux.

Day 7 Bordeaux. City Center Tour in the morning. Afternoon and Evening on your own. Optional afternoon excursion to Arcahon.

I am going to be researching on your own options. Any thoughts on the optional tours? In general how expensive are optional tours?

I am going to be researching on your own options. Any thoughts on the optional tours? In general how expensive are optional tours?

Optional tours on our cruise were anywhere from 39 to 49 Euros per person (depending on things like wine tasting, length of trip, etc). I may back down the optional tours a bit the next time, not so much due to the expense, but more because I'd like to have a bit more time to explore the towns on my own.

Optional tours on our cruise were anywhere from 39 to 49 Euros per person (depending on things like wine tasting, length of trip, etc). I may back down the optional tours a bit the next time, not so much due to the expense, but more because I'd like to have a bit more time to explore the towns on my own.

Huffy2k

How would you rate the quality of the optional tours?

Last year on our Portraits tour we dod 2 optionsla tours - one to St. Remy/Les Baux and one to Pont du Gard. We felt both were fabulous!

My onlu "problem" was that the main purpose of the cruise was wine, especially Chateauneuf du Pape. In Avignon Viking ran 2 optional tour at the same time: one to Chat and one to Pont - we wanted both! Solution was to remain in Avignon 2 days and take a private tour to Chat - it was an all day tour that was fantastic!! Well worth the additional expenses!!! (actually DH's Christmas present that year and forever!!!)

But I'll add that going north to south he optional tours were at the end of our trip! The first sailing day there was an OT that no one took - I think everyone had the same thought - let's experience sailing!!!

I went on the River Cruise with a BIG ? in my mind - I'm not a fan of ship's excursions - we usally DIY or book small group tour. But I'll admit I was VERY impressed by Viking's tours and their guides! I will say, however, that I can agree with Huffy2k - there should be a more "active" tour along with the "leisure" tour - although I don't remember anyone slowing us down.

We are booked on this cruise for departure on April 12. We have been on 6 River Cruises and are really looking forward to this one in particular. The exposure to the bourdeaux region is very exciting. If you enjoy wine, this cruise is the one to take. The new longship Forseti also was a real draw to us. We booked in cabin category E, knowing you spend very little time in your cabin. We have not booked a pre trip at this time but will be doing looking into the Loire Valleywith interest. As for the optional tours I am intrigued with the trip to Cognac as well as Bergerac. Cannot do it all so I must do some research. I will be happy to report my experiences at the end of my trip in April 2014.

Thanks for the information you exoperienced on your Longship river cruise. We are really looking forward to our trip. Did you purchase the 'SILVER SPIRITS' beverage program? It sounds very expense on the face of things. Are the drinks at the bar & in the lounge pricey? Your thoughts please.

Unless you and your wife are big big drinkers I would avoid the silver spirits package. Drink prices are reasonable and even with a couple drinks a day, you will come in well under 300 €.

That is my thinking. I like a martini before dinner and a single malt after. I thought the Silver Spirits was a little ridiculous in price since both cabin mates must take the package. Thanks for the info,

Nancy and I are booked on the September 13th sailing and we'll be celebrating her birthday on the Bordeaux cruise. We're doing the pre- and post-cruise extensions as well.

. . . someone said there may be an opportunity for tasting wine . . .

Thanks for the information you exoperienced on your Longship river cruise. We are really looking forward to our trip. Did you purchase the 'SILVER SPIRITS' beverage program? It sounds very expense on the face of things. Are the drinks at the bar & in the lounge pricey? Your thoughts please.

My wife and I enjoy wine, but with its' availability at lunch and dinner, I find that the beverage packages are a bit expensive. We were on a Viking trip once with friends; their children had bought one for them as a gift and their comment was that they themselves would not have gone to the expense. Just one person's opinion!

By the way, we are on the 9/27/2014 trip; looking forward to it. We have been on several Viking (4) and one Avalon river cruises. This is a river we haven't been on and so as soon as we saw this offering, we began to make plans.

We did the Provence trip last year...great cruise, great itinerary, great INCLUDED tours... ....but WAY TOO BUSY and NOISEY dining room...food was good to fine, BUT VERY POOR wine service, and very small portions. But we had a lot of fun anyway! You make you're own party, so to speak.

Overall, would recommend NOT to do the Viking pre cruise in Paris...way over priced, lousy rooms, and no effective Viking land based help to resolve serious issues. We will never do Viking land based options...of course, we've told them that, but they make SO MUCH money on these land options so they continue with less than pleasant hotels, etc. , pre and post.

Recommend you book your own accomodations if you're comfortable with arranging transfers etc.

It's a decent river cruise line, middle of the road, not bad value for the money. LOVE their Masterpiece commercials!

We found the crew is hit or miss, but the good ones are terrific and can make a normal cruise extraordinary... just have to seek them out. And actually, that's not too hard on Viking... VERY good folks overall !!

We're booked again with them, for their Grand European in October. We convinced well traveled friends to go as well..their first river cruise; it's a make or break for us with Viking so we'll see....overall, optimistic.

Be well! Travel safe... but do travel!

We did the Provence trip last year...great cruise, great itinerary, great INCLUDED tours... ....but WAY TOO BUSY and NOISEY dining room...food was good to fine, BUT VERY POOR wine service, and very small portions. But we had a lot of fun anyway! You make you're own party, so to speak.

Overall, would recommend NOT to do the Viking pre cruise in Paris...way over priced, lousy rooms, and no effective Viking land based help to resolve serious issues. We will never do Viking land based options...of course, we've told them that, but they make SO MUCH money on these land options so they continue with less than pleasant hotels, etc. , pre and post.

Recommend you book your own accomodations if you're comfortable with arranging transfers etc.

It's a decent river cruise line, middle of the road, not bad value for the money. LOVE their Masterpiece commercials!

We found the crew is hit or miss, but the good ones are terrific and can make a normal cruise extraordinary... just have to seek them out. And actually, that's not too hard on Viking... VERY good folks overall !!

We're booked again with them, for their Grand European in October. We convinced well traveled friends to go as well..their first river cruise; it's a make or break for us with Viking so we'll see....overall, optimistic.

Be well! Travel safe... but do travel!

greta1 -

Thanks for the advice. Can you provide any specifics? I'm devastated by the wine service comment. If the portions are mall can you ask for more? What were the Paris issues?

Re the comments about 'small' portions.

It is possible that Americans are not aware that when we Europeans visit your country, we find portions in your restaurants huge. My sister who was in LA recently with her husband found that one plate was more than enough for them both in most places they ate.

Just for reassurance though - I have read on several other threads that extra helpigs are readily available just for the asking.

Bob ++, You are right about the food. If you so desired, you could order two of anything and many times the wait staff would come around offering additional servings to everyone. I thought most servings were fine but everyone has their own thoughts on this.

On our Viking Rhine River (Provence) cruise last year I found the food portion very good - not as many or as huge as Ocean Crusing - but perfect for an enjoyable meal. People did order additional if they wished and often waiters would come around offering another portion of the main course. I don't think anyone could go hungry!!!

BTW - breakfast is buffet, order from menu or both - no end to the choices! Lunch is served in the dining room but (on our ship) buffet in the lounge. So at both those meals you could eat as much as you wanted. The also had a special "Taste of Provence" at lunch one day - fantastic choices!!

As for the wine service - we thought it perfect - with the exception that the same choice of wine was served every night - but it was free flowing on our ship - glasses constantly being refilled at both lunch and dinner. I can't remember exactly but I think they offered 2 or 3 red and 1 or 2 whites.

We had a regular group we began sitting with for dinner and the guys were all interested in wine. At one of the vineyards they all bought some and we shared that night at dinner - NO problem bringing your own bottle/s to the table - no corkage charge and no attitude. They brought red and one of the women only drank wine - the staff poured her wine from their bottles with no problem!