Laundromat Etiquette

Cassie_Zuzu

On a recent cruise it became obvious that some people do not appreciate how busy a laundromat on board ship can get. I thought I would float a few ideas of things people who are using the laundromat should be mindful of.

1. If you put a load of washing on please make it back in time to take your washing out of the machine once it has finished washing.

2. If someone takes your washing out of the machine because you are not there don't complain. Most people are considerate and put it in a neat pile, preferably on top of a drier.

3. Try to ensure that the wash is not too big. The driers struggle to dry a very large load of washing in the time of one cycle. This can mean the washing can take up to 1 1/2hrs to dry completely.

4. Be nice to people who are in the laundromat waiting for a washing machine or drier to become available. They may not be as well organised as you so be helpful and considerate.

I always keep an eye on my laundry, I figure it is about 25-30 minute wash. I hang my clothes up in my room to dry and DH likes his dry. This last round a gentleman came in and put his laundry in the washer and he was buying the little box of soap and he said he never had any luck with it coming out. Well it wasn't the soap, he put the money in the washer and it would not come on.

I felt so bad I called the desk and had some one come up and fix it for him. He was very grateful.

Later on my piece of clothes was not quite dry so I took it in the laundry room to iron it to help it along. Some older lady opened the door and looked at me and said I am so proud of you! Not many people iron any more. It made me feel good, but she left really fast. I was in shock.:D

Great points. Sad you have to spell it out but I guess in this day & age, that's what it takes for some people to be considerate of others. They just aren't taught the proper way to behave. I'd add that you should always clean the dryer lint tray when finished using it. It amazes me how few people do that.

I'm always back in time because I don't want my laundry on top of a dryer, you just never know what might be on the surface there :o As I recall, the machines tell you how much time is left before the load is done. There's just no excuse to not be back in time.

We get back before the drying time is up as well. We like to pull things out of the dryer and hang as we go, far fewer wrinkles that way. Not much but our underwear gets folded, maybe pajamas.

I'm always surprised at how many people don't iron their clothing. I iron just about everything, so does my husband. Even though (see above) our clothes aren't really wrinkled, both of us like a well pressed garment. Clothes feel so much better ironed :)

I always bring a ziplock bag with soap , some dryer sheets in a smaller baggie and the shout stain catcher ( you can put colors and stuff together). I always have left over and give it to someone who looks at the soap machine in confusion. I have had 1 x where a "gentleman" came in while I was waiting and yanked a finished washer's cloths out an put them in the corner in a heep. Swearing about people hogging things. Funny he had just walked in I had been there awhile. The washers' owners husband came in and I was sure I was going to get a boxing match. I went and called the pursers desk and they said it was for public use, I than advised they would have to deal with the damage a fight might bring. Up came security and 2 men got to go to the quiet room.

So make the loads small, watch 'um , dry 'um and be kind and share if you have extra supplies.

On a recent cruise it became obvious that some people do not appreciate how busy a laundromat on board ship can get. I thought I would float a few ideas of things people who are using the laundromat should be mindful of.

1. If you put a load of washing on please make it back in time to take your washing out of the machine once it has finished washing.

2. If someone takes your washing out of the machine because you are not there don't complain. Most people are considerate and put it in a neat pile, preferably on top of a drier.

3. Try to ensure that the wash is not too big. The driers struggle to dry a very large load of washing in the time of one cycle. This can mean the washing can take up to 1 1/2hrs to dry completely.

4. Be nice to people who are in the laundromat waiting for a washing machine or drier to become available. They may not be as well organised as you so be helpful and considerate.

I left my nylon bag I use to carry dirty clothes in the laundry room after taking back ironed clothes and would you believe within 10 mins it was gone and no, no one had handed it in

I'm always surprised at how many people don't iron their clothing. I iron just about everything, so does my husband. Even though (see above) our clothes aren't really wrinkled, both of us like a well pressed garment. Clothes feel so much better ironed :)

What's an iron? :)

The clothes are just going to get wrinkled when I put them on anyways, what's the point in wasting time ironing them? (Actually, since I send things out now, they all come back neatly pressed. Quite honestly, it kinda freaks me out to put clothes on that are that flat.)

I would be pretty upset to find my clothes on top on this Princess ship.

980B06981112Laundromatdeck10DSC01546_zps987823cd.jpg

For a relatively uncrowded laundry room, try just after first seating dinner.

I was really surprised on my last cruise on Crown in October. I went to the laundry room to press things a couple of times during the cruise (this was on Baja) and on the last day I always do my laundry because I hate having a pile of dirty clothes to deal with as soon as I get home. The machines were always empty and I only ever saw one person in the laundry. That was an ex-military man who said he preferred ironing his own shirts for dinner each evening. He said I was the only person he'd seen in the laundry.

I thought perhaps using the laundry had gone out of fashion for some reason, but after reading this thread obviously not.

I would be pretty upset to find my clothes on top on this Princess ship

At least they'd be nice and flat!

We once had our clothes in the washer then found out the soap machine was empty. I had to check 2 other laundry rooms, & they were empty there too. A long trek to the Purser's desk later I finally made it back only to find people ready to kill me for wasting their time.

Do not under any circumstances go in unprepared.

Steve

Edited by skf

So, if I wait my turn to use a washing machine, I should expect some other random passenger to advise me how much laundry I may put in at one time?

I don't think so.

I would be pretty upset to find my clothes on top on this Princess ship

At least they'd be nice and flat!

We once had our clothes in the washer then found out the soap machine was empty. I had to check 2 other laundry rooms, & they were empty there too. A long trek to the Purser's desk later I finally made it back only to find people ready to kill me for wasting their time.

Do not under any circumstances go in unprepared.

Steve

That's precisely why we always bring our own soap AND quarters. I do not want to hunt down either one when on a cruise. I want to get in the laundry room and get out!

And, I agree - first seating dinner time is always a good time to do laundry - or a big port day. Just don't do it late at night. I got locked out once from my drying clothes. Had to get a security guy to let me back in to get them.

What's an iron? :)

The clothes are just going to get wrinkled when I put them on anyways, what's the point in wasting time ironing them? (Actually, since I send things out now, they all come back neatly pressed. Quite honestly, it kinda freaks me out to put clothes on that are that flat.)

:D:D:D

I never thought about my clothes being flat :p

Honestly, I have had numerous people at work stop me and ask me how I get my clothes to look so nice. I tell them I iron them and they look at me like I have 2 heads.

My husband is better at ironing than the dry cleaners. I call him Iron Man.

:D:D:D

I never thought about my clothes being flat :p

Honestly, I have had numerous people at work stop me and ask me how I get my clothes to look so nice. I tell them I iron them and they look at me like I have 2 heads.

My husband is better at ironing than the dry cleaners. I call him Iron Man.

Another iron fan here! Nothing better than crisply ironed clothes!! I actually like to iron so I must be insane!:D

I always bring a roll of quarters with me, and those new laundry sheets or pods for doing my undies and bras! I bring a book and sit in the laundry room, so I know when it is finished! I have exchanged dollars for quarters when people need them too. We are on vacation, so people should relax!

I've only washed clothes once on a cruise--after our five-night land tour in Alaska a couple of summers ago. Fortunately, we were among the first passengers on the ship, and I did not have to wait for a washer. I did not study the deck plans of the ship very well. I used the laundromat on our deck, which was at the opposite end of the ship. I would have walked a lot less if I had used the laundromat two decks down.

We would just warn the "iron freaks" to never cruise on Celebrity or RCI (of some HAL ships) where they have no laundry rooms or irons. And they do not even allow you to bring travel irons (or use them) and some folks have had them removed from luggage when they are detected.

Hank

If I find your clothes are ready to be dried, and I need the washer, I'll put yours in the dryer. I'll start it (unless I'm running out of quarters) too - just buy me a coffee or pay it forward!

I usually have to iron down my collar tips and cuffs on formal night. Last time I did this they started turning black - - my tip is to check the darn iron before touching your whites with it! :D

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

We would just warn the "iron freaks" to never cruise on Celebrity or RCI (of some HAL ships) where they have no laundry rooms or irons. And they do not even allow you to bring travel irons (or use them) and some folks have had them removed from luggage when they are detected.

Hank

I doubt any cruiseline (Princess included) would allow you to bring a travel iron. The risk of fire is just too high.

From the Princess FAQs:

For your convenience, Princess vessels have self-service launderettes where washers, dryers and laundry products are available for a negligible charge. Please note that irons/ironing boards are available in the self-service laundry rooms. Ironing and using personal clothes steamers are not permitted in any stateroom. Although rare, on certain itineraries environmental regulations relating to the consumption of water may impact the operating hours of the launderettes. These restrictions, when applicable will be posted in the Princess Patter.

Not really a big laundry person while on vacation rather be at the pool or any where for that matter then wasting time at the laundry.

I plan & pack so I don't need do laundry on a 7 day cruise.

Wrinkled clothes I hang in a steamy shower and give a shake, you can buy wrinkle free cottons these days as well.

I did an Oceania cruise once and was surprised that the pax would pay so much for their cruise yet waste time in the laundry just seemed odd.

Not really a big laundry person while on vacation rather be at the pool or any where for that matter then wasting time at the laundry.

I plan & pack so I don't need do laundry on a 7 day cruise.

Wrinkled clothes I hang in a steamy shower and give a shake, you can buy wrinkle free cottons these days as well.

I did an Oceania cruise once and was surprised that the pax would pay so much for their cruise yet waste time in the laundry just seemed odd.

We are leaning toward packng less and doing laundry. When it comes down to paying extra for the luggage and carrying it around, it is wearing on us. Add to the mix that one of us is blind and that removes an arm for carrying (as she needs it to hold onto me). Not there yet but discussing it.

If we go for more than 7 days, I am sure we will be doing laundry to simplify packing and carrying--- thus reducing the stress before and after the R&R.