Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

And if I may add...there is at least a two year waiting list for a CCI service dog at this time.

And, lest we forget, the days and nights spent by Puppyraisers who have loved and nurtured and instilled a great sense of confidence into our future "miracle workers!"

When I look at Brenda......I'm reminded how this 13 year old dog brought my life out of the darkness almost 11 years ago and showed me how to live again.

I will forever be grateful to the many, many people and all the hours that they put into her so that she could save me a "civilian!"

Well I have bronchitis. Who gets that in the summer? It has been horrible. I'm on antibiotics, cough meds and some nasal spray. The cough meds seem to work great but something is making me not feel well. could be the codene in the cough med or the antibiotic. But I'm heading in the right direction anyway.

Oh you will be sorry if Wex comes out there, he is very needy. A couple days with mr. pesty and you'll be sending him back fedx overnight. ;)

Where are you Cindy---hope that you are ok

Dena,

We went on a Carnival Cruise in March with my son's dog, Manny. When we boarded, we went right to talk to the head of children's camps. She called head office, and we had approval within the hour for Manny to attend camp. He was the first ever for Carnival, apparently!

Hope your experience is similar!

Hastingsmom

Thanks so much! We have lots to go through still to even get a dog, but glad to know that when it finally happens the dog will be able to go with us to the places we intend to go like on a cruise!!

Thanks so much! We have lots to go through still to even get a dog, but glad to know that when it finally happens the dog will be able to go with us to the places we intend to go like on a cruise!!

Honestly, the first time I took Brenda [service Dog] on a cruise I was scared and unsure of what to do. Once I got the hang of it I can't even imagine cruising without my dog now.

Boy, it's just so much better and I get much more out of the cruise [for myself], without my dog, I find myself way too dependent on my DH or someone else and it's not fair to them.

We travel with a service dog..she is going to be on her 6th cruise in September and 7th in November.....We've learned a lot and have some suggestions for you....

• Don't be hesitant to do it.....it's wonderful! And truly has made our cruising so much more fun!!!!!! :p
  • We've cruised on Celebrity/NCL/Princess/Carnival and HAL.
  • The Best (most accomodating-all around) - HAL
  • The Best set-up (potty-box) - NCL/Princess
  • The Best crew for dog friendliness HAL/Princess
  • Passenger friendliness...every ship we've ever been on. We only 1 passenger in all of our cruises who absolutely refused to eat in the Buffet area, with a dog!

If you have any questions about the ship requirements/easy way to deal with "special needs" departments/cabins/dining area/potty box/food/exercise/hotel/excursions/airplanes, etc. Ask away......

I don't want to bore you with all the details...so, I'll let you lead the way! ;)

My Mother-in-law went on a cruise with 3 other guide dog users and had a great experience - check out the article she wrote about it

http://www.abilities.ca/agc/article/article.php?pid=&cid=&subid=&aid=934

We are going on a cruise in 15 days with 2 legally blind people (one adult one child) and I hope we have as much fun as they did

Jenn in Canada

Dena,

We went on a Carnival Cruise in March with my son's dog, Manny. When we boarded, we went right to talk to the head of children's camps. She called head office, and we had approval within the hour for Manny to attend camp. He was the first ever for Carnival, apparently!

Hope your experience is similar!

Hastingsmom

My daughter who is visually impaired is coming on the cruise with us in 2 weeks as well as her older sister both will attend camp carnival. What did they do to help your son with inclusion with the activities. My daughter doesn't have a dog but does use a cane when in unfamiliar territories then once she knows the area runs off like all the other kids ;)

Jenn in Canada

My Mother-in-law went on a cruise with 3 other guide dog users and had a great experience - check out the article she wrote about it

We are going on a cruise in 15 days with 2 legally blind people (one adult one child) and I hope we have as much fun as they did

Jenn in Canada

What a great story and heart warming that they are able to travel. I think it is wonderful that you can enjoy the pleasure of cruising.

Jenn in Canada

Jenn, welcome!!!!! I read your MIL's wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

Traveling with Brenda and now Horton has enriched my life in so many ways.

I wish that EVERYONE who has a Service/Working Dog would go out into the public venue, be proud you have your dog and please try cruising with him/her. :)

This is the latest from Karen ["Sunshine"] and her husband Rich's progress after receiving a double lung transplant.

"Such a good day. Good Day at work with all my friends and then walk in to the unit and my sweet husband is giving me the "stink eye" for coming in so late!!! I told him someone needs to bring in the $$$. He actually smiled and we had a nice day. He is doing so well. Off the vent and totally my guy again!. Either Terri or I will up date Caring Bridge with more details. Remember to just put richmays with no space if you are looking for him."

Karen, this is wonderful news and I'm thrilled for you and your family and especially for your dear husbands recovery.

Much Love to all of you,

Roz

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Barbara: Roz is right. Don't beat yourself up. You did what you had to do. I have been in the same situation and it will always hurt, but think of that cute little face running free and having fun with all the other furbabies across the Rainbow Bridge. I am truly sorry you have to go thru this.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Where are you Cindy---hope that you are ok

I'm back :D Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!! :D

Barb, We think of you often and are glad you have come back. We have had 3 friends who have lost dogs this summer, Valentine being one of them. It's been a rough time for all. I don't have to tell you it gets better, but it takes time. Our thoughts are with you.

Cindy

Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara

She's ALWAYS inside of you' date=' ALWAYS. And, I bet you're as bad as me with all the pictures. My kids always complain that I have more pictures of Brenny & Horton than I have of them.[/b']

Take your time grieving your little girl. She was the world to you.

I'm back :D Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!! :D

"Cindy's back and we're gonna get in trouble......sha, na, nee, na...Cindy's back!"

Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,

Celle

Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,

Celle

OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.

OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.

Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!

Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!

Thanks for sharing Jess.

please do not insult or demean those of us who walk or wheel with a ligitmate Service Dog and have been through the rigors of the "process" to get there!!!!!

Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.

Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.

All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.

All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.

Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz