Royal Caribbean "Song of America" - slideshow

dz63

Thanks so much for sharing your video. It made me think back on our Honeymoon cruise way back in '78 onboard the Song of Norway. I'm inspired now to make a slideshow with our old photos before they fade away. But what a lot of work that will take! You did a great job putting yours together... and a perfect song choice too!

Trudy

Yes - when we pulled up to the Song of America and looked up at her, our mouths dropped - we thought it was massive! :) At dinner, we were treated like royalty by our waiter Joaquim. We will always remember him fondly!

Thanks for sharing Song of America, this was our first cruise 11/86 but

we did the Eastern Caribbean. I will never forget the section of the ship

where you had to go down steps or up steps to get to areas which were on the the same deck. At that time we thought that ship was so large.

I remember telling my father who had been a sailor about the new ship being built the Soverign of the Seas being the draft was so shallow

he said it will never float. Wish he was alive to see it did float and also

all the new ships that are so much larger do float.

Loved Song of America

SOA was our second cruise ever, on the Mexican Riviera side. Looked huge back then! We still have the yellow t-shirts and Ship-Shape shades. Maybe I should take them on the next RCCL cruise just to see if anyone else remembers!

Thanks for the memories...

Loved your video, thanks for the memories. The Song of America for was our first cruise and celebrating our 10th anniversary. There will never be a cruise as good as that one. The food was excellent and our waiter Peter was the best. I still have a ship shape dollar, a visor and a t-shirt. We too were in awe of that ship. There was just a totally different feel to cruising in those days. Not that I still don't love cruising but it was just different and I am glad I got to experience that.

Thanks for sharing your video of Song of America.

It looks as though you had as good a time sailing on her as we did so many years ago.

I think often of how different cruising was at that time. There were so many nice touches that cruise lines have dropped like giving you a directory of passengers and copies of menues.

We still love to cruise but miss the smaller ships.

We sailed on Song of America in 1994 on an 11 day repositioning cruise from the eastern caribbean to Bermuda. It was an absolutely lovely ship.

We were unable to cruise again until 12 years and two chldren later, on Navigator of the Seas , and what changes in the cruise industry! Definitely more casual and familiy friendly. On Song of America, we were the "youngsters" being in our 30's. Saw no kids.

Navigator is an impressive and beautiful ship, but we were nostalgic for the smaller vessels without the glitz. Always wondered what happened to Song of America..... Wished we had preserved our memories of that cruise as well as you did.

I have been on many cruises on many cruise lines, but Song of America was my very very very favorite ship. I shed a few tears when I heard RCCL was selling her. What a loss. I don't like the big ships, to me smaller is better. Song of Norway Nordic Prince now those were the kind of ships I enjoyed. I think I went on the Song of America a total of 7-8 times. I sailed on her the first time she went through the Panama Canal. That was a real thrill. The crew was always fabulous, the best ever.

A cruiser who really misses that GREAT ship.

This video features our memories on our first cruise on the Song of America in August 1990. The Song of America was sold by Royal Caribbean in 1999. Enjoy!

I just watched your Song Of America video and it made me cry (with happiness). November, 13, 1983, was our honeymoon cruise (we were married on 11/12/83), and my husband, Alan, and I will be married 25 years this November.

What wonderful, wonderful memories your video brought back of a very, very special week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

We sailed on SOA in late Jan, early Feb 1993 to the Mexican Riviera. Wonderful memories also. We went with friends and family who had not cruised before. This was our 2nd ever with lots since. We had a great time, but I remember thinking everyone on the ship was a lot older than us. Now I would probably feel like the old one. lol...Loved the ship

• 2 weeks later...

She is still going strong as the "Thomson Destiny"

We sailed on her when she was the "Sunbird" operated by Airtours.

One of the happiest cruises we have ever done

We thought it was massive until we docked next to the ?Mariner/Navigator of the Seas in St Maarten.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RCI_SongOfAmericaPCs.html#anchor659587

I really enjoyed the tour of the ship and the story of the changes. Our first cruise ever was in 1991 on the Carnival Mardi Gras. I have done some checking on that one and I think after many years she has been sent to the the breakers. I love that Song of America is still sailing in Europe. She was our 2nd cruise ever and our first 7 day to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. Thanks again