Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

Honey stung chicken on RCI

After hearing much hype about this on the boards, I tried it in the Windjammer and was disappointed. It was even a fresh batch put out on the buffet and it wasn't crispy and lacked flavor. I've heard the room service version can be good, though.

Worst thing I ever tasted and nearly spit out, were the scrambled 'eggs' on Carnival Breeze last Oct. Clearly some kind of packaged mix, they tasted like paste.

Close second was their 'banana cream' pie- which contained neither bananas nor cream..

Lots of other offerings there were disappointing, but those 2 were truly awful.

Sushi on the Grand Princess was awful. We love good sushi and when we saw it we were quite happy because it looked great. But put it in your mouth and you were looking for a way to discreetly spit it out! :eek: Sushi on the Maasdam was only marginally better.

When will people ever learn to listen to their waiter. Oy!

While it probably works most of the time to listen to your waiter, it's not a slam dunk. On a cruise on Celebrity, our waiter tried to talk me out of braised short ribs. Said they were too fatty and I wouldn't like them. I order them anyway, and they were the best thing I had the entire cruise of mostly not very good food.

The worst dish I have encountered on a cruise would have to belong to Carnival.."The Legend" They actually served (on the dinner menu)...MEATLOAF !!! :eek: It was cool, greasy, and did not resemble meat. I asked the waiter if they might be serving fried chitterlings the next day ?:confused: Had no clue.... What a poor excuse for dinner.:o

On last week's cruise (Legend – RCI) I would finish every dish I ordered. Some meals were okay, and some were above average to great [overall very happy with the food in the MDR]. But there was one entre, and one soup, that I could not really stomach.

The soup was the duck consommé. I usually tend to order the cold soups on cruises (since I do not usually eat then stateside). But it seemed interesting. It was pretty much tasteless.

The entre, believe it or not, was the leg of lamb. I was looking forward to it when I saw it on the menu. It was well prepared, and very moist, but it was just not palatable (for me). I even accepted some mint jelly to put on it to give it some real flavor, and it still did not help. My waiter was nice and offered me something else when he saw I was not eating it (I usually pollished off everything on my plate), but did go to the next table to ask them if they liked their food (half of them had the lamb) - and they said they liked it.

On another note – the pre-packaged tuna and egg salad sandwiches in the park café at night are horrible.

I will also add my dislike of the hot dogs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

On an Alaskan cruise I ordered a fish called Zander. It was awful. I wrote in my journal that I didn't like it then looked at the journal from the year before and it turned out I'd ordered it and hated it then too. I had forgotten and must have been intrigued by the name. I have it burned in my memory now but I've not seen it on the menu again.

The worst dish I have encountered on a cruise would have to belong to Carnival.."The Legend" They actually served (on the dinner menu)...MEATLOAF !!! :eek: It was cool, greasy, and did not resemble meat. I asked the waiter if they might be serving fried chitterlings the next day ?:confused: Had no clue.... What a poor excuse for dinner.:o

I had meatloaf on a cruise and it was also bad. I told the waiter and he said he knew what I meant because he'd had meatloaf at the Golden Corral restaurant and he knew what good meatloaf was. I've never eaten at one but after the scandal last week I don't think I'd rush right over even if they had one in my area.

Feel the urge to relate this old tale. When DD was about 6 we took her on a Sitmar cruise. On one of the formal nights we went to a cocktail party where waiters were coming around with all kinds of hors d'oeurves and DD spotted a piece of toast with a topping she thought was chocolate. She quickly grabbed this item off the tray and popped it into her little mouth. Within a couple of seconds she got this horrid look on her face, a few tears in her eyes, but she still finished her snack without a sound. She had just had her first (and to this day 27 years later her last) taste of caviar!

Hank

Reminds me of my first experience with Wasabi. I thought it was Guacamole and took a huge bite. I've grown to love Wasabi but I now eat it more judiciously and still remember that first experience.

"Mexican" buffet aboard Carnival Sensation 2010. I have no idea what it REALLY was, but it wasn't any kind of Mexican I have ever had. Wife agreed completely and even made the remark that she had never seen me leave a plate full of food on the table. Only food I have ever done that with. Just awful.

"Mexican" buffet aboard Carnival Sensation 2010. I have no idea what it REALLY was, but it wasn't any kind of Mexican I have ever had. Wife agreed completely and even made the remark that she had never seen me leave a plate full of food on the table. Only food I have ever done that with. Just awful.

It's always an indication when the food is barely touched in my case too. That must have been really bad. I think sometimes it's that the cooks haven't really been exposed to the cuisine and aren't sure how it should taste.

Edited by Kentskie

Risotto in the Summer Palace on NCL Pearl. There was a cheese sauce on top that I swear was just a melted slice of Velveeta Cheese. Was the weirdest thing.

Sounds awful. I'm not a fan of risotto anyway but that sounds really bad.

• 3 weeks later...

We have taken three of our cruises over Thanksgiving and as hard as they tried not one of the ships knew how to do it right! One of them was a 31 day trip that we took with friends. Our wonderful waiter told us we wouldn't like it but we said we had to have it. We all laughed when he put our plates in front of each of us because he then placed a large platter in the center of the table with 4 beautiful Lamb Chops. {We ate all of them.} Then when we all ordered Pumpkin Pie {which one bite told us we didn't want another} he had put 4 Crème Brule on the table. He was like that the whole trip. Needless to say half way through and at the end of the trip he got a great tip.

We have taken three of our cruises over Thanksgiving and as hard as they tried not one of the ships knew how to do it right! One of them was a 31 day trip that we took with friends. Our wonderful waiter told us we wouldn't like it but we said we had to have it. We all laughed when he put our plates in front of each of us because he then placed a large platter in the center of the table with 4 beautiful Lamb Chops. {We ate all of them.} Then when we all ordered Pumpkin Pie {which one bite told us we didn't want another} he had put 4 Crème Brule on the table. He was like that the whole trip. Needless to say half way through and at the end of the trip he got a great tip.

Someone on one cruise we were on said that he liked all of the things on the menu just not the way they cooked them.