Premium Balcony on Carnival Destiny/Sunshine

Rudiger Gussett

I'm planning on my booking a cruise for my wife, mother-in-law and 16month old daughter on board the Carnival Sunshine for 12 nights in June on the Meditterranean. We've spent weeks of deliberating the wisdom of cruising with a young infant, and they've decided this is definitely what they want to do.

And so to choosing a room. Being peak season in Europe and one of the first voyages of the newly refitted Carnival Sunshine (formerly Destiny), sales are already advanced and more sought after rooms are starting to get limited. I've narrowed the search to two - either a midship balcony stateroom (cat 8B or C) on a middle deck (Upper or Empress- 6 or 7) or a premium balcony (9B) towards the aft of the Verandah deck - 8. There's not a lot of info on their site about the premium balconies, but it's shown as only having a neighbouring cabin on only one side nad no nearby elevators or facilities, so in theory I thought that would be good for limiting noise coming from, or heard by our baby. Quick questions;

1) Anyone stayed in one of the equivalent rooms? Thoughts?

2) It is drawn on the deck plan as being almost twice the size, but according to the dimensions, the room itself is no larger than a normal balcony room? (see link below - it's room 8327) The main reason for paying the extra would be for the extra space for a child to run around - but is this so?

3) The Verandah deck is immediately below the pool deck. Given the premium balconies are near the rear of the vessel, anyone able to say how much noise (swimmers and dragging deckchairs) is likely to be heard, especially at night during cleaning?

4) Which one would you choose and why? The premium balcony adds 15% to the price, but I'm happy to pay it *if* they will be more comfortable. I'd hate to end up regretting a safe midship selection if it turns out they're seasick, sleepless from the sound of the engines and cleaning crew on the floor above and in a room no bigger than a standard balcony stateroom.

Really appreciate any feedback - thanks in advance.

Deck plan showing premium balcony 8327 below.

http://www.icruise.com/c/deckplan-popup.php?SailDate=02/16/2013&ShipID=6&DeckNumber=8#dp

Edited by Rudiger Gussett

Thanks for the great link susie - I've been trawling similar sites all day, but had somehow missed that one!

Looking at the photos, it doesn't look like an L-shaped balcony at all. But it does look like a much larger room with a standard balcony. That being the case, I'm inclined to risk a little noise from above since I think overall, it would be a good space for an infant.

Decisions, decisions... Any other insight greatly appreciated.

I just found actual pics of 8327

Go to......cruise line rooms dot com

Click on Carnival

Click on Destiny

Click on 8327

Click on pics to blow them up...

CAREFUL!

It's my understanding they are renumerating the cabins'

Thanks Mr Pete.

I did check for this, and (at least according to the deck/cabin plans at Carnival's website) confirmed that the position of the cabin on both Destiny and Sunshine is numbered the same.

That said, what level of change occurs to the room as part of the $150m makeover is anyone's guess!

Cheers...

Edited by Rudiger Gussett

Having spoken to friends who've done the journey, none have suggested that it wasn't perfectly doable - subject to travelling with an accomodatinng airline.

To be honest, more than one have suggested that the intercontinental flight was the easy part - the hard part was spending early nights in cabins and hotel rooms with a sleeping child, knowing Europe was just outside their door! That said, after the cruise, I'll be meeting up with them and we'll try and share the load so they get to see some sights, restaurants and culture.

Still umming and ahhing over Midship Balcony vs Premium Balcony vs a new option of Spa Balcony (which is actually cheaper) and seems to include some access to treatments at the fitness centre in what looks like will be a brand new room on the new Sunshine. No word yet about how the size compares the the other two rooms unfortunately, and that is a major part of the decision. Again, appreciate any insights...

For anyone who stumbles on this search in the future - after confronting a similar choice, I'll let you know that we went with the premium balcony option in room 8327.

It's under the Lido deck, which I generally avoid, but being tucked away in the far port aft section, I'm hoping they'll not be kept awake by staff dragging deckchairs back into position. At the end of the day, the extra 50+% footprint it affords for 12% more money seemed a fair price for so much space for our new walker to explore, and the extended balcony will be great for them to watch the coastline go by as they sip on their wines while little Miss sleeps.

I couldn't get any info on the size of the new Spa Balcony rooms on deck 11, so had to take a pass even though they looked appealing.

Here's hoping I don't live to regret it! Keep on cruisin'...

We've stayed in the Premium Balcony (8322) on the Destiny last May. This is the same as 8327 just on the other side of the ship. We've also stayed in the normal balconies on Destiny and have had a Spa Balcony with spa amenities on the Dream. Having said that, I can tell you hands down our favorite room was the Premium Balcony on the Destiny (8322). The room is huge and the balcony was very long and straight (like a bowling alley). These are NOT L-Shape rooms like on deck 6 and 7. We also just had a suite on the Glory and we still prefer the premium balcony on deck 8 Destiny over the suite. You will not be sorry...lots of room and noise was minimal. Very close to pizza and buffets too! Here are a few pics: (We also had the aft wrap next to this so the balcony divider was open in pic one)

579601_4024998186611_1625779371_n.jpg

48093_4024592656473_1438397766_n.jpg

550858_4024589096384_421558888_n.jpg

526673_4024584656273_370446682_n.jpg

Thanks so much for the feedback, Imluvn! It was exactly what I wanted to hear, and you've put mind mind at ease. Those photos make the cabin look huge and I can't wait to see how good it looks after the makeover.

Glad you rated the room and had a great time - here's hoping my lot do as well.

For anyone who stumbles on this search in the future - after confronting a similar choice, I'll let you know that we went with the premium balcony option in room 8327.

It's under the Lido deck, which I generally avoid, but being tucked away in the far port aft section, I'm hoping they'll not be kept awake by staff dragging deckchairs back into position. At the end of the day, the extra 50+% footprint it affords for 12% more money seemed a fair price for so much space for our new walker to explore, and the extended balcony will be great for them to watch the coastline go by as they sip on their wines while little Miss sleeps.

I couldn't get any info on the size of the new Spa Balcony rooms on deck 11, so had to take a pass even though they looked appealing.

Here's hoping I don't live to regret it! Keep on cruisin'...

You won't have to worry about hearing deck chairs dragging because they are eliminating the pool area that used to be there and expanding the Lido restaurant into this area.

And BTW the spa cabins on deck 11 are 10 square feet bigger than a regular balcony cabin.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I was wondering if you went on the cruise and took pics of the cabin. I've booked the same cabin for an upcoming cruise and would love to see pics of the updated room.

We just booked this cabin, I would love to hear any thoughts on it also.

Hi Zoo,

By all reports you won't regret it. My wife, mother-in-law and baby girl loved the cabin - reporting no additional noise from the Lido deck, no issues with motor noise, vibrations or seasickness, and a huge room and balcony which they made full usage of. My wife reported that it was definitely the best cabin she'd had on a cruise.

The only disappointing part, was that despite their wonderful size, the cabins apparently benefited very little from the $150m makeover, and they were doubtful that anything inside the rooms had been upgraded. That said, it was only the 2nd cruise after the refit and works were behind schedule and still ongoing - so further improvements may have been completed since - although they did report that the ship was very crowded, at least compared to our previous cruise with the Star Princess.

I haven't logged in here for months, but will speak with my wife to see if she's got any photos of the room so you can see the (minimal ) changes from the photos posted above.

Not sure how to upload photos on here but I can be contacted on gmail.

I did take lots of pics.

The room looked as though the main update was the covers on the bed. Lol.

The square footage of the room was decent but the balcony still felt small. We mainly used it too look for land and dry our swimming clothes though so that was fine.

There's a lot of movement on the boat especially when in bed. The bed and room rocks from side to side easily aggravating motion sickness. I got used to it by the end if the cruise but I recommend sea sick patches.

The bathroom smells very badly. Like a cat pee smell. Keep the bathroom door open and it doesn't build up so bad.

Most of the food on the boat wasn't great and night choices are very limited. But the burritos/tacos were great as was the brunch in dining room.

My fave employee was Alex (entertainment team). He did a lot of the trivias and there's an audio channel on tv where he discusses the top things to do that day.

Excursions: in Jamaica I highly recommend the Tranopy adventure. It was well worth the money and a lot of fun. Zip line chair lift and bobsled as well as a so-so lunch.

Caymans I did parasailing but didn't book through the ship. Cheaper that way and was great. Kept us up 10-12 min. Beautiful views even for someone afraid if heights. I highly recommend. Even the speed boat ride to the parasailing boat was like an adventure. :)

I used the internet on my phone and it was very slow but it seemed to only charge an appropriate number of minutes for the actual use I got rather than the real number if minutes I was signed on.

At least for my cruise the serenity pool was almost always empty at night (10pm and on), so if you want to swim take advantage if it. :)

Not sure how to upload photos on here but I can be contacted on gmail.

I did take lots of pics.

The room looked as though the main update was the covers on the bed. Lol.

The square footage of the room was decent but the balcony still felt small. We mainly used it too look for land and dry our swimming clothes though so that was fine.

There's a lot of movement on the boat especially when in bed. The bed and room rocks from side to side easily aggravating motion sickness. I got used to it by the end if the cruise but I recommend sea sick patches.

The bathroom smells very badly. Like a cat pee smell. Keep the bathroom door open and it doesn't build up so bad.

Most of the food on the boat wasn't great and night choices are very limited. But the burritos/tacos were great as was the brunch in dining room.

My fave employee was Alex (entertainment team). He did a lot of the trivias and there's an audio channel on tv where he discusses the top things to do that day.

Excursions: in Jamaica I highly recommend the Tranopy adventure. It was well worth the money and a lot of fun. Zip line chair lift and bobsled as well as a so-so lunch.

Caymans I did parasailing but didn't book through the ship. Cheaper that way and was great. Kept us up 10-12 min. Beautiful views even for someone afraid if heights. I highly recommend. Even the speed boat ride to the parasailing boat was like an adventure. :)

I used the internet on my phone and it was very slow but it seemed to only charge an appropriate number of minutes for the actual use I got rather than the real number if minutes I was signed on.

At least for my cruise the serenity pool was almost always empty at night (10pm and on), so if you want to swim take advantage if it. :)

We are booked for this cabin in October and if you have update photos we would love to see them!

Allison @ Midwatch. com.

Thanks!

Allison

If anyone wants to see a quick tour of a spa balcony cabin on the sunshine go to YouTube and type in

"carnival 12017"

It's just a 90 second clip but it shows you how short the walk is from the serenity deck

Hope you all enjoy the cruise,we certainly did

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 years later...