New Pricing List for Pre-Paid Events...

JWGrayson

Carnival recently released an updated price list for pre-paid events. The first things I noticed were the higher prices and the removal of dry snack as an option. I am not concerned about the dry snacks as they have been stale on the last few cruises, but the prices are at least 40% higher. It also looks like you must select 3 of the specialty cocktails to be served if you pick the Premium or Standard option.

Party Price List from June 2011

New price list called Carnival Entertains from November 2013

If you select the cheapest option called "Good Morning", you get Mimosas, Bloody Marys and an assortment of house wines for $14.00 per person for 1 hour. When you add in 15% gratuity and PayPal fees, you are paying $16.89 per person, or about $34 for a couple.

Under the old pricing structure you could have a one hour "Open Bar with Dry Snacks" for $9.95 per person. After adding in gratuities and a PayPal fee, it would cost you $12.09 per person, or $23.87 for a couple. The prices were generally rounded to $12.00 and $24.00 since the organizer made a few cents from each couple that paid due to one component of PayPal's fee being fixed at 30 cents per transaction.

Wonder how this is going to affect future Meet & Greet gatherings. Personally I have found that pre-paid events tend to be more fun, but they exclude those who don't drink. I also find myself drinking too much as I am trying to get my money's worth.

We have an old style one coming up next month and than think no more private cocktail parties in our future.

By "old style" do you mean a closed bar (pay-as-you-drink) event? I was wondering if those were still available.

We had a 2 hour open bar on our cruise in October. That did seem a little long but the price was very reasonable. On our cruise next month, we are able to go with the old pricing structure for 1.5 hour open bar since someone had contacted a rep prior to the change and was given those prices.

It sounds like they are trying to discourage people to have these get-togethers, IMO. With these prices, I think it would be better just to pay as you drink.

We had a 2 hour open bar on our cruise in October. That did seem a little long but the price was very reasonable. On our cruise next month, we are able to go with the old pricing structure for 1.5 hour open bar since someone had contacted a rep prior to the change and was given those prices.

It sounds like they are trying to discourage people to have these get-togethers, IMO. With these prices, I think it would be better just to pay as you drink.

It was an awesome deal before now think we would do better as pay as we drink.

It was an awesome deal before now think we would do better as pay as we drink.

I am a cheap drunk, so I felt that way with the old system. Three of their small drinks and I was out of it! :( It also bothered me to have a M&G that excludes Roll Call members because they don't drink, or don't want to (or can't) pay the money. So, I prefer a cash bar.

I read through the Nov posts and a lot of opinions were expressed. Many people thought Carnival lost money on the old system, but we don't know what Carnival pays for booze. I suspect they get great deals and were not having a problem with how much some drank.

The new price list that they call "Carnival Entertains" is a lot more than just a Party Price List. They have turned it into a professional service with many more options and proper competitive prices. It is just a shock to see it so unexpectedly.

I am a cheap drunk, so I felt that way with the old system. Three of their small drinks and I was out of it! :( It also bothered me to have a M&G that excludes Roll Call members because they don't drink, or don't want to (or can't) pay the money. So, I prefer a cash bar.

I read through the Nov posts and a lot of opinions were expressed. Many people thought Carnival lost money on the old system, but we don't know what Carnival pays for booze. I suspect they get great deals and were not having a problem with how much some drank.

The new price list that they call "Carnival Entertains" is a lot more than just a Party Price List. They have turned it into a professional service with many more options and proper competitive prices. It is just a shock to see it so unexpectedly.

I would guess they were not making any more probably losing something so they decided to turn this into a profitable area.

To me I think this will be the end of the cocktail parties we have been going to. Time will tell though