What to pack for a Canada/New England Cruise?

Judi2112

I would really appreciate some assistance here.

DH and I are going to book a Canada/New England cruise for end September 2010.

I am OK for evening wear but what should be packing for day wear?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Judi

Hi there. Just wanted to let you know that I love Canada/New England cruises!

The weather can vary in September since it can go from really warm to chilly/rainy. I would bring capris, jeans/casual pants, short sleeve & long sleeve tops and one or two jackets and an umbrella. This way, if you do an excursion and it's chilly in the morning but gets warmer during the afternoon, you can adjust your outfit.

I'm in NJ, so not a Canada expert, but it has rained at least on one day each Canada cruise I've been on (hence the umbrella). I've done August/Sept. cruises to Canada, so the weather was sometimes so hot, but then all of a sudden changed drastically to much cooler.

That's going to be a great cruise. Those ports are all so clean and pretty.

We went on the 9/26-10/03 Canada/New England Cruise. We pretty much wore long sleeved clothes. We brought our winter jackets, and were happy we did. On Mount Washington Cog Railroad, it was 30 degrees F with 30 MPH Wind and 60 MPH gusts. Other places in the day time it was in the 60s.

Also bring rain gear.

Bring lots of layers. The weather can change dramatically from day to day- even hour to hour. Yesterday it was 70, today 40 and tomorrow 65 and rainy.

The temps in Boston can be much warmer then you will find in northern New England and Canada.

September is a glorious time to see the area.

We sail Canada/New England itinerary every year and agree you should plan to dress in layers.

There can be a difference early September to end of September and you don't say a date unless I missed it.

I don't think you'll want capri pants. Stay with long pants. Three quarter sleeve jerseys/tops and sweater or hoodie as well as a medium weight jacket. You can take off a layer as necessary.

I would bring a pair of silk glove liners (Wintersilk.com) for a really chilly day to have a very lightweight hand cover. You could be glad you have them.

Your anniversary is my birthday!!! A great day :D

I live in New England - not far from Bar Harbor. You have been given great advice that layering is a good idea. It will be the start of fall here (no leaves turned as of that time).

I would be wearing long slacks (people here are very casual - we all seem to wear jeans ... different in other areas of New England though). Sneakers for walking, tee shirts, and long sleeves. A jacket (fleece) with a hood is a great idea.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise ... Enjoy! Jan

Edited by Jan_In_Maine

I'm a native of Saint John NB. September is a perfect time to visit the maritimes (Halifax, Saint John). Generally the temperature in the daytime in early Sept is warm. Capris and a light sweater just in case. If you are going to Saint John, all bets are off. We're known for our fog, in fact, I've heard some cruise passengers complain about NOT seeing it when they've lucked out with a sunny day. Given the fog, bring a light jacket and jeans if you are in that port (Halifax can be the same). If you have a shore excursion that takes you out of the city, you're likely to have warmer temperatures so layer is the way to go as the other messages have said. Have a great time!

• 7 years later...

We did this cruise in mid-June a few years ago. Take layers. Put on your outer layers off ship and take them off on. I took jeans and long sleeved tees, pullover sweaters/sweatshirts, and a hooded windbreaker for days off ship. Pretty much wore the same on ship. I was cold

Sent from my iPad using Forums