Dress code

Pinktrixie

I am going on Britannia on Sunday, on there website it says only dark jeans and no trainers in main dining room, is this very strict? My dad has jeans but not really dark and trainers that are black ( they look a bit like shoes) he is not comfortable in trousers and prefers his jeans and a polo shirt / shirt. He has a suit for formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going on Britannia on Sunday, on there website it says only dark jeans and no trainers in main dining room, is this very strict? My dad has jeans but not really dark and trainers that are black ( they look a bit like shoes) he is not comfortable in trousers and prefers his jeans and a polo shirt / shirt. He has a suit for formal nights.

HI, we can't remember seeing anyone in jeans or trainers the other week on Britannia. Most folk were in smart casual or more formal in the MDR. (It was a school holiday cruise and the ship full). I think the buffet was more casual and jeans etc were fine there.

On smart casual nights I sometimes wear darkish jeans with smart tops, as do many others (so not light or ripped jeans). Trainers aren't generally considered acceptable. Hope this helps, have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think he will have to be prepared to be turned away at the main dining room. Black trainers may be ok as they can look like shoes, but only smart dark jeans are allowed.

Unless he is turning up in ripped or bleached jeans I think that is *incredibly* unlikely.

"Dark jeans" mean whatever you want it to mean; what is dark - anything over half way between white and black, then blue jeans are dark.

Anyway if P&O meant no blue jeans they would say "No blue jeans". They don't, so they are allowed. I have certainly worn blue jeans in an evening on numerous occasions without it being an issue.

On smart casual nights I sometimes wear darkish jeans with smart tops, as do many others (so not light or ripped jeans). Trainers aren't generally considered acceptable. Hope this helps, have a great trip.

P&O unlike RC will turn you away at the restaurant if you are not wearing appropriate clothes.

The simple answer is get a pair of chinos, they are more comfortable than jeans :D

Luckily this is not the Cunard board, the fashion police over there deemed chinos as inappropriate for casual evenings :eek:

I always wear jeans on a smart casual night with brown shoes and a polo shirt or shirt. I have never been turned away. My jeans are always smart and are usually blue or dark blue/virtually black.

I am going on Britannia on Sunday, on there (sic) website it says only dark jeans and no trainers in main dining room, is this very strict? My dad has jeans but not really dark and trainers that are black ( they look a bit like shoes) he is not comfortable in trousers and prefers his jeans and a polo shirt / shirt. He has a suit for formal nights.

This is the first time that I have heard that you may only wear dark jeans and no trainers in the main dining room. On cruises I have been on to date I have noticed many gentlemen not wearing jeans in the main dining room, all sorts of other trousers have been witnessed, do these people not understand the rules?

Regards John

I've never been turned away in darkish jeans, I'd like to say that they are a uniform colour of indigo with a starch crease down the middle but they aren't. Smart darkish jeans are completely fine - when you get onboard you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. If jeans weren't allowed they wouldn't be on the menu [emoji3]

Well that should be interesting.

I am sailing with Cunard at the weekend and guess what I will be wearing.

I was on QM2 in March, Sydney to Hong Kong, I wore black jeans or tan chinos and a nice polo shirt to dinner on non formal nights and a dark grey suit with collar and tie on formal nights, as I do on any line, including Princess and P&O UK. The Cunard Fashion Police did not attack me. But I was in steerage - Britannia, not Princess/Queens Grill. Actually on formal nights there were blokes getting into the MDR with a tracksuit top or windcheater as their 'jacket.' Now that is fair bait for the fashion police. But they got in, no enforcement by staff.:halo:

This is the first time that I have heard that you may only wear dark jeans and no trainers in the main dining room. On cruises I have been on to date I have noticed many gentlemen not wearing jeans in the main dining room, all sorts of other trousers have been witnessed, do these people not understand the rules?

Regards John

I, and my husband, agree with you John.

Why some passengers think it is 'fashion police' (whatever they are!) I'm not sure.

All cruise lines have rules and regulations that you are supposed to abide by.

If these rules include dress codes then, unfortunately(!) you are supposed to abide by them.

There are a large number of cruise lines that have very relaxed dress codes nowadays, as opposed to years ago, and if people don't like 'dressing up', which some don't, then why don't they go on those.

I would imagine that traditional indigo work jeans are the ones that the cruise lines would not want you to wear. But nowadays there are lots of very fashionable, and expensive, jeans sold which, along with chinos, look very respectable on casual nights.

All cruise lines have rules and regulations that you are supposed to abide by.

If these rules include dress codes then, unfortunately(!) you are supposed to abide by them.

It is not the presence of rules, it is the dress code police who invent rules they wish existed and don't.

A prime example is this thread. P&O don't bar someone for wearing blue jeans. Blue is a dark colour. Dark jeans are allowed.

There are a large number of cruise lines that have very relaxed dress codes nowadays, as opposed to years ago, and if people don't like 'dressing up', which some don't, then why don't they go on those.

And if people want to cruise with a company where there are stricter rules, then Cunard is that way. Don't moan about people not dressing up just because you want to.

We also sail on britannia Sunday for our first cruise and I must admit the "dress code" has caused some worry. There are so many conflicting views on cruise critic. We have spent a lot of money on clothes for this cruise to ensure we stick by the dress code (which we could have done without). Especially for two boys who will not wear half the stuff we have bought them ever again. Mine are normal little boys who love nothing more than a comfy football kit! We are really looking forward to the cruise and I also look forward to writing my review with our "dress code" experiences to ensure that any families who read it in a similar position to us get a real view of what is acceptable or not.

P&O unlike RC will turn you away at the restaurant if you are not wearing appropriate clothes.
P&O don't turn people away in all cases. They allowed someone into the MDR on formal night who did not have a jacket. They gave him one but I heard them clearly say 'you don't have to wear it'. So it would depend on the ship and the MDR door host.

And that goes for other venues too where the dress code is supposed by in force after 6pm. Numerous examples of people being allowed entry not in the appropriate attire.

Almost loathe to add to the debate as I agree with the let's just enjoy our longed for holiday point of view. But thought I should add the following facts into the mix.

We have recently received our Holiday Information pack and p43 Dressing for Dinner says "blue or worn denim............are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening". Then under Evening Casual "Smart dark denim is also fine".

Also my husband has been turned away from the Metropolis Bar (Ventura) after dinner when he had removed his jacket on formal night despite still wearing formal trousers, shirt, bow tie etc. I guess this is very much a matter of luck in which member of staff is policing entrance to the area. Needless to say we felt a bit miffed.

Sorry none of the above provides clarity. [emoji52]

We also sail on britannia Sunday for our first cruise and I must admit the "dress code" has caused some worry. There are so many conflicting views on cruise critic. We have spent a lot of money on clothes for this cruise to ensure we stick by the dress code (which we could have done without). Especially for two boys who will not wear half the stuff we have bought them ever again. Mine are normal little boys who love nothing more than a comfy football kit! We are really looking forward to the cruise and I also look forward to writing my review with our "dress code" experiences to ensure that any families who read it in a similar position to us get a real view of what is acceptable or not.

There is a lower age limit on the requirements for formal wear. I am not sure of the exact age but think it may be 13 and older who should comply. Under this age on formal nights youngsters may simply be smart. If very young children wish to comply with the formal code, tuxedo or ball gown etc. they are free to do so.

Regards John

There is a lower age limit on the requirements for formal wear. I am not sure of the exact age but think it may be 13 and older who should comply. Under this age on formal nights youngsters may simply be smart. If very young children wish to comply with the formal code, tuxedo or ball gown etc. they are free to do so.

Regards John

The limit is 18 as this quote from the web site. Trousers and a shirt are fine.

The Dress Code is applied in most restaurants and bars for guests over 18 years of age, from 6pm. Please wear the appropriate attire to the ship’s bars and restaurants; blue or worn denim, sandals, sleeveless tops (for men) and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening.