Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Okay, after a lot of deliberation and on-line research, we have booked the Holiday Inn Express (Tampa Stadium/Airport area) for our pre-cruise stay on Jan 26, 2007. We are sailing on the Legend of the Seas on Jan 27. I have read through the last 30 or so posts on this board, and now have a headache ;) . There are not many comments on this relatively new hotel, so I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

How is this hotel? Has anyone stayed there yet that can comment?

We can get a shuttle to the Port for $5.00 per person. Anyone done this? How did it work out?

Is there much to do in the area? Any good reataurants? Any good places to pick up some beer/wine?

I noticed some comments on "Gasparilla Day", which is apparently on Jan 27. What is this, and how badly is this going to screw up my travel to the port?

Thanks for you help!!!

Tom

I have not stayed at this hotel but it is in a very populated area. There are lots of restaurants around the hotel including a steakhouse on the property. There is also several places in the area to pick up beer/wine. There is a place called ABC Liqours, Fine Wine and Spirits and an upscale wine store. They are all within a mile maybe two max of the hotel. There is also a Wal-Mart down the street for any last minute forgotten items.

Gasparilla is Tampa's answer to Mardi Gras. It is just like Mardi Gras but on a smaller scale but not by much. I should know I lived in NO for years. Yes, you will be affected by the traffic. Even though the parade route does not go by the cruise port it is close enough to affect your trip to the port. You will need to leave extra early. The parade starts around 11am but people begin to arrive starting at 5 or 6 am to get a good spot for those beads! That means they must find a place to park which is a lot of times near the port.

I hope I have helped you some. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hey Ken,

Seems like you are not the only one who can't understand why people can't do a little research before asking the same question....for the 15th time.:rolleyes:

So, how are you doing? Been missing for a while. Things here on the homefront went into a tail spin a while ago. Oh well, things happen.

Hope all is well and I will start checking more again to see if I can help answering any "new" questions...:p

Jeff/Jessemon

Some people may be asking questions that have been previously asked and answered because the info may be almost two years old. This thread's first post was in Dec. 2004. A lot can change in that time - the quality of the hotel, the stores and restaurants around it, the area.

Personally, I usually disregard reviews that are over 6 months old - due to changes that can occur during that time.

Hi All You Tampa Experts

We are looking for a post cruise hotel & hope to do a little sightseeing.

Any ideas for a hotel with easy access to public transport or in the downtown area that won't break the bank?

We won't have a car & one that would have an airport shuttle would be nice.

Cindy

Hey Ken, I've got a question for you or anyone else who is familiar with the area round Chase Suites. I heard somewhere that there is a beach area near or possibly across the street and down from the Chase Suites Hotel. Can anyone verify this for me. We are getting to Tampa a day early and are looking for things to do with the kids when we get there.

Thanks,

Stingray

Please don't take the first part of this wrong. There are a few of us here in sunny Tampa that try to help visitors coming here. Ken by far spends a lot of his own personnel time doing this. (I can understand is frustration at times) I have been MIA but I am back to help. After my last post someone said that the thread started in 2004 and they are correct. They also said they like info that is less than 6 months old. So I looked back a mere 6 pages out of 51. It dated back to July 6, 2006. That is a little over two months. Most all questions asked were covered in that time period that are asked every day.

Questions like where should I stay...where should I eat...is there shopping near by...is it cheap...is ther a liquor store...will this hotel have a shuttle...?

Most of the info is covered in the past 10 pages on this thread.

It still amazes me to see 5 people ask the same question within 20 posts.I am sorry but, I love to research an area myself before I go there. A thread like this (by the way has more hit and posts on it than any other city on these boards) would be something like a great travel guide to me. I would start at the begining and work my way through. Then...if I needed extra info I would ask the very nice people here in Tampa that question.

OK...done venting....:)

STINGRAY310...

suncoastgirl is correct...the beach sits right on the top of Tampa Bay. There is one draw back...at the other end of the causway there is a sewage treatment plant that acts-up once in a while. Lets put it this way...I live right on the water on top of the bay. I would "not" find that my most wanted place to swim. It would not be a bad place to take a stroll though. This is not a white sand beach. It sits at the top of a bay that the county has been working on for years to clean-up the water. It is alot better than it used to be though.

JMHO

I would agree with you about Ben T. Davis beach. It is not my first choice. But since the poster asked about the closest that is why I suggested it. It would definetly be worth the money to rent a car and drive to Clearwater or one of the other Gulf beaches. I personally prefer the Manatee county beaches, less crowded and closer to me.

I thought I'd better check in. I haven't posted lately.

Jessemon - I agree with you 100%. Actually, there's no out-dated info on the entire thread, to my recollection. I've even seen questions asked when the answer was as close as 3 or 4 post above it. I don't want to run anyone off from here and make them shy about asking questions, but it would be good to check out the thread first. It can sure save a lot of typing for us folks. I just took the time to look at the main page where this thread is listed. I was amazed at the number of responses and views listed there.

Yes, I've spent a lot of time answering questions on this thread. It would be scary if I knew exactly how much. I've also spent considerable time searching for answers and items for people on the Internet, so I could post links to local attractions, restaurants, the street cars, etc. I've also went so far as to go out of my way when traveling around the Tampa area, just to check something out before I answered a post. Another thing I did once, was spend a Sunday afternoon in Tampa taking photos of various hotels, the Channelside District, etc, just so folks could have a visual of the areas. I still plan on doing another field trip to the Westshore business district and Rocky Point for some more photo's. I'll wait until October when the weather is nicer. When I'm done, I'll place a direct link to my Tampa photo album in my signature block.

Suncoastgirl and Jessemon - I agree about the beaches. Ben T Davis isn't that great at all, but it's still a beach... I too like the beaches in Manatee County, such as Coquina Key (my favorite). I also like Ft Desoto over at the tip of Pinellas. I don't like crowded beaches at all. If the visitor can get a rental car, Clearwater Beach would be better.

Everyone - I've mentioned it before - If you are at the beaches on Courtney Campbell Causeway, or walking/jogging in that area, keep a close watch for thunder storms. Get to a safe place before the storm gets close to you. Don't wait until it starts raining. Lightning likes to reach out and touch someone, sometimes a few miles from the thunderhead and rain. There have been several people killed by lightning in that area over the years. We don't want to see your burned shoes on the evening news, indicating the spot where the lightning knocked you out of them. Not joking. Take it serious.

Ken

Hey Ken,

Like I said...sorry about the venting.

When you get ready to do the pics...give me a yell...we can meet and do pics and a bite to eat and maybe even a brew. Only one or two for you though. You have to drive back ti Lakeland. (Har)

On the subject of lightning...I have a friend who is a golf pro (who shaved 15 strokes off my game) who was at the Hall of Fame driving range a few years ago. You know the one Ken. The coarse where the International Mall is now. There was a thunder storm over St. Pete and it was sunny as could be at the range. A fellow 75 feet away from him was struck dead by lightning. They figured the storm was 15 miles away.

Folks...Ken is right...Tampa Bay area is theeeeeee lightning capital of the world. If a storm is coming...seek shelter.

I am torn about where to stay. We hopefully will be flying in to Tampa(flying stand by) the day before our cruise which departs on October 5 (Inspiration). Should we stay close to the terminal or should be stay at the airport. It would be nice to stay near the terminal but I'm understanding that the hotels there are really expensive. I don't want to put a ton of time into this because we are only staying one night and then cruising the next day, case closed.

We really won't have time to sight see, just maybe a nice dinner, get up in the morning, get ready and head to the terminal. This is our first cruise and our first vacation away from our 15 month old (sniff, sniff).

Thanks for the input.

We had the same feelings, so that's why we booked at:

Embassy Suites Hotel Tampa-Airport/Westshore 555 N. Westshore Blvd

Tampa, FL United States 33609

Phone: 1-813-875-1555 Fax: 1-813-287-3664

We had previously had a reservation at Hampton Inn, but felt the location of the Embassy Suites was better. The hotel offers free shuttle to it, breakfast in the morning, and then just grab a cab to the port after that. Of course there's three of us, so the idea of the suite was great. But as you say, it's only one night, so anything around the Westshore area is convenient and will be just fine AND there's stores around in case you need any last minute things or want to purchase some water or soda to take with you.

Kim

We are traveling with another couple and I want to make sure that this hotel is good, so I read some of the reviews posted on the web. Some people really liked the hotel, where others hated it, said it was moldy smelling, dirty, the shower curtains had nasty things on them, the smell from the inlet that is near was awful, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, the beds were really uncomfortable... on and on and on.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Tampa Experts:

I booked on Priceline and they gave us Fairfield By Marriott Tampa Brandon, 10150 Palm River Road, Tampa 33619. Has anyone heard any comments about this property? Paying $60 per night. Don't know if we got a good deal or no deal!

Marion

I will try to help you guys the best I can.

Fairfield - Brandon: This is a new property and in a very populated area. Plenty of dinner options, a mall, convinence stores, home depot, etc. Brandon is a suburb of Tampa and as a whole very safe.

Sailport: This is an older property on the bay, Tampa Bay. The smell you have read about is most likely from the sewage treatment plant down the bay from there. There is a post about this some where on here within the last 3 or 4 days. I can't remember if it is on this thread or another Tampa thread. The original poster was asking about beaches near the Chase Suites.

Hotels near port: There is a new Embassy Suites hotel right down the street from the port. It is not as expensive as the Marriot or Wyndam (it has change names, but forgot the new name). You might also look at hotels in the downtown area.

I am torn about where to stay. We hopefully will be flying in to Tampa(flying stand by) the day before our cruise which departs on October 5 (Inspiration). Should we stay close to the terminal or should be stay at the airport. It would be nice to stay near the terminal but I'm understanding that the hotels there are really expensive. I don't want to put a ton of time into this because we are only staying one night and then cruising the next day' date=' case closed.

We really won't have time to sight see, just maybe a nice dinner, get up in the morning, get ready and head to the terminal. This is our first cruise and our first vacation away from our 15 month old (sniff, sniff).

Thanks for the input.[/quote']

While I have not read all 10 pages of post (I will) I am at work and have the same question. I am sure Tampa is a great place to visit and live but our flight is getting at six PM and we will be on the ship by noon the next day knowing my wife. I am just looking for info on a place to stay near the port? near the Airport? Where? I havw been thinking of Ken's marriott choise it seems expensive for a bed. I will read all ten pages, of great work the Tampa crew has done. Thanks

We will be staying at Rocky Point, but want to go to the Columbia for dinner on a Thursday night. How bad is the traffic going east during the evening? We live near Atlanta so we are used to timing our trips around town. We want to go early and aren't interested in the entertainment, just the food. DH does want some cigars to take on the cruise with him.

Does the Columbia have its own parking? It looks like one-way streets on either side of the restaurant. I don't want to get lost in that area of town.

Thanks for all the help we have gotten from you good folks in Tampa. I hope to see some of you on November 3 on the Zenith.

for Needsomesun:

You asked about the Holiday Inn on Mabry.

I just called them and asked some questions and then made a reservation for myself in Nov.

The motel is only 10 months old. Inside corridors with security cameras.

Free breakfast is served from 6am-10am

Free shuttle from airport

$5.00 shuttle to cruise port--be sure to sign up on clipboard (front desk said the shuttle runs at 9am and 9:30am). I wasn't expecting THAT early, but better early than late I guess!

All for under $100. aaa rate!

front desk telephone number is 1-813-877-6061. Norton was very patient with me and answered all of my questions (even ridiculous ones, like will the pool be open in Nov.?--yes, but I may find it too cold, he said).

I have gotten so much great info from this thread that I thought I would give back what I could.:D

Good luck everyone and happy cruising!! Zenith--here I come!! Deb C.:cool:

We stayed here last night prior to our cruise on the Inspiration today. They offer a free shuttle from the airport. $10 PP to shuttle to port. We are with family who are parking their car at the port, so we do not have to pay the $10PP. The hotel is nice and comfortable. Each room slept four comfortably. Bathroom is in the bedroom, but that was no problem for us. Some awoke earlier than others for showers, so no one was on top of another. Internet price for this hotel was $129. I had enough points for free room. Brother stayed here on a whim (bugs in the bed at the Microtel) and his rate was $150. Everyone working here is very pleasant and helpful.

Thanks for all the good info from this thread!

Thanks for the info, Deb.

One question that I will need to check out. We also called the hotel before booking. They told us that the earliest shuttle to the Port would leave at 11:30, which I thought was a little late (I'd just like to get there sooner than that). It looks like they told you it was at 9 - 9:30. No biggie either way - I just like to know what to expect (as our entire group expects me to make the plans and know what's going on - good luck with that).

I requested a lower floor (due to lots of luggage--even though they have elevators and luggage carts). He couldn't guarantee the lower floor, but made a note of it and said for me to call back closer to arrival time and they would try their best to get one for me. At that time I'm going to ask about the shuttle again.

When I return home in late Nov.I'll make a posting here to inform you of the workings of the shuttle, okay? I did ask if they would do a pick-up FROM the cruise port and he didn't think so. But I might be able to make arrangements with the "van man". (My language, not his.) There is only one of me, but if you have a big group, maybe they WOULD do a pier to airport pickup!

Good luck! Deb C.:cool:

I will try to help you guys the best I can.

Fairfield - Brandon: This is a new property and in a very populated area. Plenty of dinner options, a mall, convinence stores, home depot, etc. Brandon is a suburb of Tampa and as a whole very safe.

Sailport: This is an older property on the bay, Tampa Bay. The smell you have read about is most likely from the sewage treatment plant down the bay from there. There is a post about this some where on here within the last 3 or 4 days. I can't remember if it is on this thread or another Tampa thread. The original poster was asking about beaches near the Chase Suites.

Hotels near port: There is a new Embassy Suites hotel right down the street from the port. It is not as expensive as the Marriot or Wyndam (it has change names, but forgot the new name). You might also look at hotels in the downtown area.

Just a note about that new Embassy Suites - Convention Center. They called me last night and will not be open until October 23rd. We made a reservation there back in June for October 8th and they called last night to say "sorry, construction is not complete". So they are moving us to the Embassy - Westshore. I was going to cancel completely and go with the Marriott...but the Westshore is going to not only be free (because we were using points) they cut the number of points in half for the inconvenience.

Since we are going to 2 days....it was a choice of $400.00 for 2 nights or free.

We just stayed int he Doubletree Westshore and these were my findings. First off let me say the best thing was the price and the shuttle. The room and the lobby were completely outdated, but they were in the process of remodleing the hotel so it may be great in just a couple of months. The first night we stayed in the executive suites because you get free cont. breakfast, and a reception in the evening. Well, we were not in at the time of the reception (so I can not comment), but the breakfast was just okay. Alittle fruit, pastry and toast (no bagel which is my favorite breakfast bread), I thought it could have been alittle better. Not that I staved, just not much varity.

I did cancel the executive suite for the return trip and made it a regular room, which looked exactly like the executive. There is not a reception on Sunday and the breakfast I didn't feel like was worth $20.00.

The thing that was the best was the shuttle. It was very prompt picking us up at the airport and everyother place that we used it. We used the shuttle from airport, to Wal Mart, to port, back from port, to and from the mall and back to airport. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for the shuttle.

Overall the stay was okay, but if they get everything remolded it will be better.

Terri