Yokohama port to train terminal for Tokyo

amusea

Need info on best way to get from ship to the terminal in Yokohama where trains leave for Tokyo. I have read that both the subway and bullet train travel that route and wonder if the extra fare for the bullet train is worth it.

Need info on best way to get from ship to the terminal in Yokohama where trains leave for Tokyo. I have read that both the subway and bullet train travel that route and wonder if the extra fare for the bullet train is worth it.

Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

Thank you for your prompt and very informative reply. My travelling partner and I have decided to stay on the Minato Mirai Line until the last stop. If we have time to visit the Ginza later in the day that will be an open option. Our ship, the Amsterdam, does not leave port until 1 AM so we have a really full day to explore the city.

Any specific recommendations for our big day would be most welcome. Based on your information we will wait until our trip from Kobe to Kyoto to ride the bullet train.

Thanks so much again.

Thank you for your prompt and very informative reply. My travelling partner and I have decided to stay on the Minato Mirai Line until the last stop. If we have time to visit the Ginza later in the day that will be an open option. Our ship, the Amsterdam, does not leave port until 1 AM so we have a really full day to explore the city.

Any specific recommendations for our big day would be most welcome. Based on your information we will wait until our trip from Kobe to Kyoto to ride the bullet train.

Thanks so much again.

Great! Have you ever seen the movie Lost in Translation? The huge pedestrian crossings that show up again and again in the film are located right in front of the Shibuya Station. There is much going on there.

Also, Harajuku, where young people dress up wildly and dance even more wildly, is the next stop from Shibuya on the JR Yamanote Line. The place is highly recommended as a contrast to the traditional settings of Kyoto.

The Yoyogi Park, one of the most famous parks of Tokyo, is also right there, and it is actually possible to walk through the park and then to Shinjuku, the skyscraper center of Tokyo (if you do not wish to walk, just hop back onto the Yamanote Line at Harajuku - Shinjuku is the second stop). The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku has an observation deck that gives you a fantastic view of this sprawling metropolis.

If you want to go to Ginza after Shinjuku, go back to Shibuya, and take the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line from there.

From Ginza, the Imperial Palace is not that far away. Depending upon where you are in Ginza, it is perhaps a 20-minute walk to one of the outer walls.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. We will definitely go to Shibuya, Harajuku, Yoyogi Park and hopefully will have time to include Shinjuku. Now if it just doesn't rain:(.

• 5 years later...

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

I don't suppose you are still there, but I'll see. Our problem will be traveling in the other direction, from Tokyo, perhaps the new Palace Hotel, to the pier. (We stayed at the old Palace Hotel in 2007.) We are to be on a Silversea ship for transpacific cruise to Anchorage. This si not until May, 2013, so there is plenty of time to plan. Thanks.

If there is no answer, at least this will provide a way to return to this post.

Bob :cool:

I don't suppose you are still there, but I'll see. Our problem will be traveling in the other direction, from Tokyo, perhaps the new Palace Hotel, to the pier. (We stayed at the old Palace Hotel in 2007.) We are to be on a Silversea ship for transpacific cruise to Anchorage. This si not until May, 2013, so there is plenty of time to plan. Thanks.

If there is no answer, at least this will provide a way to return to this post.

The Palace Hotel is 3-5 minutes by taxi from Tokyo Station.

It will be very easy for you to take the advice listed above - but in reverse.

The Palace Hotel concierge can help you with more details, and also notes in Japanese - for the taxi and the Train Station master.

Edited by BruceMuzz

The Palace Hotel is 3-5 minutes by taxi from Tokyo Station.

It will be very easy for you to take the advice listed above - but in reverse.

The Palace Hotel concierge can help you with more details, and also notes in Japanese - for the taxi and the Train Station master.

This is amazing to receive an answer on a 2007 thread within hours of my post. :) Even though you are not Jacksan.

Yes I know of Tokyo Station. We arrived there from Kyoto in 2007, and got a taxi to the Palace hotel. That was a great place to stay. DW wanted to bring one of the toilets home. :D It appears that the complete structure is being replaced by a much taller building.

One very major considerations for travel to the ship's pier is the burden of our large luggage pieces. This I hope to solve by using a luggage transfer service. In 2007 we used these from NRT (?) airport to the Kyoto Hyatt Regency Hotel and later to the Tokyo Palace Hotel. With one-day advance ordering, things went without a hitch.

In any case, where-ever we are coming from, we want to plan for one train, then one taxi to the ship.

Our plans are yet to be completed in detail. I want to go to Seoul, Korea, but DW does not think much of the idea. I most assuredly know Seoul will be totally changed from my last visit there, but I just want to see it. My last time there was in 1952 with the USAF. If anyone had forecast the progress of South Korea back then to as it is now, I would have told them "You are totally nuts."

As for many people, San Francisco is one of our favorite cities. Just a year ago, we stayed four nights at the, yes, Palace Hotel there. Two near-by, now Californian, and years ago Jeff City, Missouri high school classmates joined us for Sunday brunch at the Palace.

Also, one evening, we attended one of the best performances of Madam Butterfly we have ever enjoyed.

Thank you for answering.

The new Palace Hotel in Tokyo has just recently opened.

It is much nicer and much taller than the old one.

This gives you an even better view of the Imperial Palace grounds from the upper floors of the hotel.

Although the Palace Hotel in San Franciosco is Japanese-owned, there is no direct connection between that hotel and the one in Tokyo.

Hello, I am back. :p

If you are staying near Tokyo Station, the easiest is to take the JR Tokaido Line (silver cars with orange/green stripes) to Yokohama Station, and then take a cab from there. There is a train station closer to the pier, but to get there, you would have to make a transfer somewhere along the line, which you would fine rather cumbersome with a lot of luggage.

The trains you would want to take at Tokyo Station typically depart from Platforms 7 and 8 (sometimes 9). All trains departing from those platforms stop at Yokohama.

Hello!

We expect to arrive in Yokohama from Kyoto via Shinkansen, Shin Yokohama, I presume. What is the best way to get to the port from there? We are 4 people, including 2 teens, who are accustomed to transporting our own luggage and are happy to take public transportation, if that is the best way.

Hi there. At Shin-Yokohama, transfer to the JR Yokohama Line (there is no other line to transfer to, by the way), which is a silver train with green stripes, in the direction of Higashi-Kanagawa. This train will likely terminate there, and if it does, now transfer to the Keihin-Tohoku line (a silver train with blue stripes). You will not have any trouble there, as virtually everyone on the Yokohama Line train will transfer to the Keihin-Tohoku line with you. Yokohama is the next stop.

There are some Yokohama Line trains that do not terminate at Higashi-Kanagawa (you can tell because people are staying on). If you are on one of them, great. Just stay on also, and the next stop is Yokohama.

If you are okay about transferring yet one more time, at Yokohama Station switch to the Minato-Mirai Line, whose platform is underground, in the direction of Motomachi-Chukagai. For the pier, get off at Nihon-Odori station, which is the fourth stop from Yokohama. This is the stop closest to the Yokohama Osanbashi Pier where cruse ships dock, which is a leisurely ten minute walk from there.

I hope this helps!

Hello!

We expect to arrive in Yokohama from Kyoto via Shinkansen, Shin Yokohama, I presume. What is the best way to get to the port from there? We are 4 people, including 2 teens, who are accustomed to transporting our own luggage and are happy to take public transportation, if that is the best way.

Hello, I am back. :p

If you are staying near Tokyo Station, the easiest is to take the JR Tokaido Line (silver cars with orange/green stripes) to Yokohama Station, and then take a cab from there. There is a train station closer to the pier, but to get there, you would have to make a transfer somewhere along the line, which you would fine rather cumbersome with a lot of luggage.

The trains you would want to take at Tokyo Station typically depart from Platforms 7 and 8 (sometimes 9). All trains departing from those platforms stop at Yokohama.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. We most certainly would take a taxi from the Yokohama station to the ship. I assume there are toxson taxis at the station. (It has been years, but I think toxson is large, or large number.)

Our cruise is not until May 6, 2013, so we have many details to complete. I want to go to Seoul, Korea for a few nights first. Then I hope we can spend a few nights in Tokyo, or an interesting town close-by, before boarding the ship.

When we visited Japan in 2007, we used a luggage forwarding service two times. This worked out great in both cases. Do you have any general info about using a luggage forwarding service to a Silversea cruise ship?

Thank you very much for your information.

The new Palace Hotel in Tokyo has just recently opened.

It is much nicer and much taller than the old one.

This gives you an even better view of the Imperial Palace grounds from the upper floors of the hotel.

Although the Palace Hotel in San Franciosco is Japanese-owned, there is no direct connection between that hotel and the one in Tokyo.

We had a great room in the Tokyo Palace on an upper floor (9th or 10th?) in 2007. While we paid a premium price, we were given free cocktail hours each evening and a fine breakfast each morning.

We will look at the new Tokyo Palace, but will not expect that it could be better. I suspect it was decided that, with the prime location, a new high rise structure would generate significantly more profit for a new Palace Hotel than for the old Palace.

Oh yes, I know the SF Palace has no connection with the Tokyo Palace. Years ago the SF one was a Sheraton Palace.

In any case, thanks for your information, Bruce.

Yes, there are a number of companies in Japan that offer luggage forwarding services. The best place to inquire at is your hotel, who should be able to make a call to one of those companies on your behalf.

The most established and reliable company of this kind is Yamato Unyu. Yamato has an office at the Yokohama Oosanbashi Pier, so they are the best bet. And I am 99.9% sure that your hotel is on their route.

Thanks!

This is exactly the info I was looking for. We most certainly would take a taxi from the Yokohama station to the ship. I assume there are toxson taxis at the station. (It has been years, but I think toxson is large, or large number.)

Our cruise is not until May 6, 2013, so we have many details to complete. I want to go to Seoul, Korea for a few nights first. Then I hope we can spend a few nights in Tokyo, or an interesting town close-by, before boarding the ship.

When we visited Japan in 2007, we used a luggage forwarding service two times. This worked out great in both cases. Do you have any general info about using a luggage forwarding service to a Silversea cruise ship?

Thank you very much for your information.

Hi. I am assuming that you are talking about the port of Yokohama. The easiest is to first get to Yokohama Station, and to take a direct bus from there to the Tokyo Disney Resort. It is an hour ride, if the traffic is decent.

From the port, you can either take a cab to Yokohama Station, or instead walk about 10 minutes to Nihon-Odori Station of the Minato-Mirai Line. Take this train to Yokohama, which is the fourth stop from Nihon-Odori.

Once at the massive Yokohama Station, look for signs for the East Exit (there are plenty of signs in English). If you are taking a cab from the port, tell the driver "Higashi Guchi - Sogo," and he will get it right away. If you have arrived by a train, you will pass through the station and eventually take an escalator down to the lower level. After a short walk from there you will come across a big department store called Sogo (which, by the way, is a tourist attraction in its own right; see below for more). The bus terminal is right above this Sogo, which you cannot miss. Signs are aplenty for the buses.

The bus stop for the Disney Resort (includes Disneyland and Disney Sea) is No. 17. You may see signs saying "TDR." If you see one, you are in the right spot, as 'TDR' is Tokyo Disney Resort. Until 10 am, there is a bus departing every 10 to 15 minutes, and after that, about every 20 to 30 minutes.

By the way, you should definitely go over to the Tokyo Disney Resort website in order to make sure that they are indeed open and to avoid what is known as the "Wally World Syndrome." It is rare, but the TDR does close occasionally for maintenance and what not, and you do not want to become the Griswolds (if this reference makes no sense, look up "National Lampoon's Vacation). :p

Now, about the Sogo Department Store. They open their door at 10 am, and you want to be there, at the door of the lower level (B2), at least a few minutes before that. Once the door opens, you will walk into this food court floor. You will then see the employees lining up, standing with their backs straight and at full attention, and bow their heads as you walk by them as you review the troops, so to speak. For most of us mere mortals, this is about the only chance one gets at being and acting as if the head of a state or queen/king. I have not been to Sogo for a few years, but they were still doing that the last time I was there.

Have fun!

Please to assist, how to get from the port to Disneyland Toyko, public transit. My friend who travels with me is an avid Disney fan. Thanks for any assistance.

Yes, there are a number of companies in Japan that offer luggage forwarding services. The best place to inquire at is your hotel, who should be able to make a call to one of those companies on your behalf.

The most established and reliable company of this kind is Yamato Unyu. Yamato has an office at the Yokohama Oosanbashi Pier, so they are the best bet. And I am 99.9% sure that your hotel is on their route.

Thanks!

You are a fountain of knowledge about Tokyo and, I assume, other locales in Japan. If you ever need help to find a location in Fayetteville or other parts of Northwest Arkansas, just call on me. :D

Bobsan :cool:

• 1 month later...
... Now, about the Sogo Department Store. They open their door at 10 am, and you want to be there, at the door of the lower level (B2), at least a few minutes before that. Once the door opens, you will walk into this food court floor. You will then see the employees lining up, standing with their backs straight and at full attention, and bow their heads as you walk by them as you review the troops, so to speak. For most of us mere mortals, this is about the only chance one gets at being and acting as if the head of a state or queen/king. I have not been to Sogo for a few years, but they were still doing that the last time I was there...
Thanks for that little tidbit. We'll time our visit to Sogo in Yokohama to be there when they open!

• 6 months later...

jacksan1...hope you are still around. Osaka and Yokohama will be the two ports we'll be visiting this coming May. Would love to visit Tokyo "DIY" using local transportation/train. Pier to train station, and would appreciate suggestions on a few "must-see" in Tokyo. We love to walk and it will be our first visit to Tokyo. In Osaka, most seem to be heading to Kyoto...would you advise visiting Kyoto or simply staying in Osaka? We'd love to see temples, shrines, and gardens. Thank you in advance for your response. :)

• 4 months later...

Thankyou to Jacksan1 for the informative posts re transportation and hotels in the area. We are spending three pre cruise days in Tokyo May 2014 before cruising out of Yokahama...thankyou for transportation info from Tokyo to Yokahama...we are just learning about Tokyo and really appreciate ajacksan1 's helpful info! Cruisy Susy

• 3 weeks later...

Jacksan1,

Good to see that you're still around :)

We're looking at Tokyo->Vancouver on the Celebrity Millenium in May 2014 with a few days beforehand in Tokyo.

I want to confirm that the cheapest, most efficient way for four people (two are 65+) with luggage to get from Narita to a hotel in Tokyo (still not sure where, yet--recommendations for "reasonably-priced" rooms are welcome) is on the Narita Express (N'Ex) and then use a taxi/subway if needed to get to the hotel.

I think we'll probably do your "reverse" train trip to get to Yokohama for the cruise.

We were looking at a package deal, but it seems we could do MUCH better going a la carte--even if it means us having to negotiate transfers ourselves in a land with (primarily) foreign signage.

TIA for any advice/recommendations.

Matt

Jacksan1,

Also, I have looked at both the Minato Mirai Line website and the Tokyu site and am unable to figure out the total fare from Nihon Odori to Shibuya. I can only find the first leg (200 yen to Yokohama). Tokyu just says that teh fares are based on distance, but there are no station-to-station distances on their site. If you can point me to the right place or give me a ballpark figure, that would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

Jacksan1,

Also, I have looked at both the Minato Mirai Line website and the Tokyu site and am unable to figure out the total fare from Nihon Odori to Shibuya. I can only find the first leg (200 yen to Yokohama). Tokyu just says that teh fares are based on distance, but there are no station-to-station distances on their site. If you can point me to the right place or give me a ballpark figure, that would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

Nihon Odori to Shibuya is 240 yen, one-way.