Best Beers in the Caribbean

dizzy1975

I'm trying to figure out what beers to try on our cruise next month. We're going to Columbia, Aruba, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Curacao. Are there local beers that are really outstanding?

I'm from the beer capital of the northwest (Central Oregon) and also homebrew. I don't care for lagers but if it's 90 degrees plus with high humidity, I suppose I could choke one down.

What would your choices be?

I found a list of recommended beers on a travel website. The list includes Balashi, Hairoun, Carib, Medalla Light, Kalik and Kubuli.

The Hairoun is not being made anymore. All sound rather dismal according to beeradvocate except for Carib and possibly Kubuli which sound drinkable but not great.

Input anyone?

I'm trying to figure out what beers to try on our cruise next month. We're going to Columbia, Aruba, St Maarten, St Thomas, and Curacao. Are there local beers that are really outstanding?

I'm from the beer capital of the northwest (Central Oregon) and also homebrew. I don't care for lagers but if it's 90 degrees plus with high humidity, I suppose I could choke one down.

What would your choices be?

If you're used to big beers with lots of forward hop flavor, you won't find much in the Caribbean. It's mostly western pale ales and pilsners. That being said, I just go with whatever is local to the island. It may not be the most complex or crafted beer, but it is usually quirky enough to be quite refreshing and different. Just look for people roaming the beach hawking "loca bea".

the best beer i've tried was in georgetown, grand caymans. it was called "pirates gold", it was a lager pilsner brew. it had an pretty good flavor for being a domestic beer to the caymans. reminded me of a full bodied version of a michelob amber ultra. the best part of it i must admit was that it was ice cold on a rather warm day on seven mile beach :D:D:D

As others have mentioned, there is not generally a great variety. It's mostly lager, with the odd pilsner style or other lighter beer occasionally available. I can't recall if I've seen a dark beer there ala Negro Modelo or another Mexican dark beer.

But on those hot days on the beach, a Carib does go down pretty well. Many islands do not have their own breweries and import from others that do. What you do find, and this is off-topic, are sodas that you don't see every day. On St. Kitts, in additional to locally brewed Carib, we enjoyed Ting, a grapefruit soda, and a pear-flavored soda the name of which I do not recall.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Sorry, while it may seem plebian and commercial-quality to those with finer-honed tastebuds than I, but I have a fond spot in my heart for Red Stripe.:o

I usually only drink it when on cruises, but nothing says "sail away" to me like a cold Red Stripe. I can be a bit of a beer snob sometimes, but even I like a simple, crisp pale ale or pilsner (even as simple as PBR or Narragansett).

On a similar note, did anybody else notice on the RCI promos for the pub on the Quantum class, they list PBR and 'Gansett as "micro-brews"? I may not be above knocking them back, but they certainly aren't micro or even craft.

I usually only drink it when on cruises, but nothing says "sail away" to me like a cold Red Stripe. I can be a bit of a beer snob sometimes, but even I like a simple, crisp pale ale or pilsner (even as simple as PBR or Narragansett).

On a similar note, did anybody else notice on the RCI promos for the pub on the Quantum class, they list PBR and 'Gansett as "micro-brews"? I may not be above knocking them back, but they certainly aren't micro or even craft.

LMAO.... PBR(as in post brewing recycling) considered a micro brew on RCCI's pub sheet??? PBR barely qualifies as a "beer" let alone micro brewery status. that's the "brew it for three days, flash pasturize it to kill the yeast, and bottle it en masse" poster child....

LMAO.... PBR(as in post brewing recycling) considered a micro brew on RCCI's pub sheet??? PBR barely qualifies as a "beer" let alone micro brewery status. that's the "brew it for three days, flash pasturize it to kill the yeast, and bottle it en masse" poster child....

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/michaels-genuine-pub/

Click on the beer menu, and see the "Craft Beer" list.

• 1 month later...

Either RCCI is attempting to charge more by calling PBR a micro brew or those darn hipsters (LOL) actually make it a cult beer. There's a place in the Dallas area that sells PBR by the can and they serve the can in a paper bag. Greatness!

I agree, PBR barely qualifies as a beer. Kinda like Boone's Farm barely qualifies as wine. It's what I drank when in the Navy because I was too poor to buy anything worth drinking....

During the 11 days we were on vacation, sadly I only had one single little beer. While doing some shopping in Curacao, a shop owner offered me a Heineken. It was really hot out, the beer was cold (and free) so I drank it. I'd rather not drink any beer unless it tastes good. The Heineken was mediocre at best.

The pub idea aboard the Quantum of the seas is an interesting idea. A couple of the brews look good. Flying Dog, Stone and Founders make some respectable beers. Suprisingly, not a single IPA on their line-up. I'd be more willing to drink an IPA or IIPA on a warm weather cruise than a Great Divide Stout.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, PBR barely qualifies as a beer. Kinda like Boone's Farm barely qualifies as wine. It's what I drank when in the Navy because I was too poor to buy anything worth drinking....

During the 11 days we were on vacation, sadly I only had one single little beer. While doing some shopping in Curacao, a shop owner offered me a Heineken. It was really hot out, the beer was cold (and free) so I drank it. I'd rather not drink any beer unless it tastes good. The Heineken was mediocre at best.

The pub idea aboard the Quantum of the seas is an interesting idea. A couple of the brews look good. Flying Dog, Stone and Founders make some respectable beers. Suprisingly, not a single IPA on their line-up. I'd be more willing to drink an IPA or IIPA on a warm weather cruise than a Great Divide Stout.

I am convinced someone high up in the RCI Food & Beverage corporate team just has a personal vendetta against IPA's. They carry a number of decent beers of various styles in their British pubs (and the new gastropub idea), but never have I seen a true IPA on a Royal Caribbean menu.

• 1 month later...
While in Aruba and/or Curacao, try to hunt down Amstel Bright. IMHO it's better than the wide-spread Amstel Light imported into US. They also have regular Amstel, which is definitely worth a try.

I definitely enjoyed my amstel bright SO much better than amstel light .. not sure why but it was so fresh and crisp on a hot caribbean dayy :)

There are many good reasons why great beers - and great wines - are not produced in the tropics.

Much of it has to do with climate and terroir.

Much of also has to do with local economies and tastes.

True, BruceMuzz: but the Almighty has provided for this sad lack with the soul of the sugar cane--RUM! (and ginger beer):D

• 1 month later...

Post #2 mentions Medalla Light from Puerto Rico and (Thank you, God!!!) available in south Florida. If you can get one, cool it down to just above freezing and then enjouy its cold, crisp flavor!! Damn, I'm going to have to go home and get me one.

Z and TB