Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I should have added ... I LOVE PRICELINE!! We have had great prices using them ... but I always go to http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingtraveler.com to see what prices have been accepted in the city I am looking for.

I will add ... you want to make a regular hotel reservation for the city you are going to that can be canceled. That way if you win a Priceline hotel you can cancel the regular reservation. I, once, made the mistake of not making a reservation that could be canceled ... because I ALWAYS get good deals ... well, wouldn't you know ... I could not get a bid accepted by Priceline, and when I went to make a regular hotel reservation the prices were now 2 times what they had been originally. Live and learn ...

We did have a Hotwire win 2 years ago in Boston ... the Sheraton Copley ... for @$99 .... I had tried Priceline up to $110 and hadn't won ... so there are some good deals on Hotwire, also. Betterbidding.com also has a Hotwire section, so you might be able to determine the Hotwire hotel by the amenities that it shows. You can also ask them questions ... I have found them to be VERY patient!!

I believe that Priceline will only guarantee a room for 2 people ... which could mean 1 double bed. Most of the newer hotels do have a queen or even 2 queens. The problem is that you will not know until you find out which hotel you have won ... and even then, it is up to the hotel as to what "bed" you will receive. If you have not checked out www.betterbidding.com, you might want to look at their FAQ, and also see what hotels have been won in the city that you are thinking about. I would "think" that if you were going to bid 3 1/2* - 4* you would at least have a king, or 2 queens ... but that is the risk that you run with Priceline ... not knowing. If you have 4 adults you might want to think about 2 rooms ... however, they do not guarantee connecting rooms, so this wouldn't work for children.

Have you checked out Hotwire? I think that you can put in the number of people that will be using the room ... which if it were 3 ... would at least have 2 double beds???

Good luck!!

Hello,

I went ahead and put in a bid last night (before your post) for seatec area for $51 and won Hilton Doubletree or 3 nights 3/12-15/12. Now I have to contact them to find out how much extra for 3rd person (22 yo son). Kind of at their mercy:eek:.

Might have to put him on the floor.

Thank you for the response though.

JK.

Edited by boatnick

Hello,

I went ahead and put in a bid last night (before your post) for seatec area for $51 and won Hilton Doubletree or 3 nights 3/12-15/12. Now I have to contact them to find out how much extra for 3rd person (22 yo son). Kind of at their mercy:eek:.

JK.

You may want to just call the hotel and ask what kind of room you are in. If it has two queens or doubles don't say a word and just go in. If they say a king room just request a queen or double. For all they know you are traveling with your brother or friend or someone else you may not want to sleep with.

I probably paid a little more than I would have with Priceline, but I wanted this hotel and also wanted to get it firmed up for August -- 3.5* YVR amenities included smoke free, pool, laundry, shuttle, restaurant, hi-speed internet, fitness center and business center. $112 + tax =$137.11

Suzanne ... we always try to use Priceline (and we've used Hotwire, too) ... but I think you were wise to use Hotwire when you are looking for a particular hotel ... and if you compare your Hotwire price to the regular price at the Marriott, I bet you have a GREAT price!

Hello,

JK.

You should be fine. When you win a Priceline bid, you get the room and it is not based on how many people you have. So you will not have to pay more for a third person. They only guarantee that there will be beds for two people. However, I have a family of three and have used Priceline for years. I have never been to a hotel that couldn't accommodate us. Only once I was at a hotel and the room they gave me only had one king bed. I asked nicely for two doubles instead, but those were sold out. They gave me a rollaway bed for no extra charge, which they had no obligation to do. Just ask nicely for a room with two beds and you shouldn't have any problem. It doesn't hurt to put the request in in advance - they usually won't guarantee it, but your request will be noted on your reservation.

I also just booked the San Pedro Crowne Plaza using Priceline (night of April 6): $65 plus taxes/fees. WooHoo!

Would you mind giving the parameters for bidding for the Crowne Plaza? I think it is the one on Hotwire that is 83$ and shows 6 amenities but how can I figure out Priceline? Stars??? Only used Hotwire so far. Would love to try Priceline but a bit timid as to getting something else I might not want. Thanks

Would you mind giving the parameters for bidding for the Crowne Plaza? I think it is the one on Hotwire that is 83$ and shows 6 amenities but how can I figure out Priceline? Stars??? Only used Hotwire so far. Would love to try Priceline but a bit timid as to getting something else I might not want. Thanks

Sure will! Zone 1 (San Pedro), 3 1/2 stars, $65. Came back on the first try. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
2 1/2 * Best Western Airport Executel $50

We did, too. Same price.

It was my first experience to bid for a hotel. Didn't realize that you only bid # of rooms but no choices on how many in traveling party. We'll be traveling with our two children (8 & 10) so I hope they will let us have two-queen or two cots at least to accommodate. I did call the hotel right away and they seem pretty nice about it. praying...

:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a room booked near the airport that can be cancelled up to 24 hrs prior to arrival. Now considering using hotwire for downtown Seattle to be closer to tourist sites. How can I use hotwire to get a specific hotel that has a parking package for the length of my cruise? I have not used priceline or hotwire in the past, so I am pretty unfamiliar with these sites.

I too will be travelin to Seattle end of August for a cruise. I have checked for winning bids but haven't seen anything recent for Seattle. Has anyone bid for Seattle downtown and won a bid recently?

We had bid for Vancouver the last two years and paid less than $140 for the Sutton Place each year through Hotwire. Would like to use either Hotwire or Priceline this year.

Thanks for any advice.

Just got Silver Cloud Inn Lake Union, Seattle for both pre and post cruise for $160 on Hotwire. Cheapest I could find for this hotel on other sites was $199. This includes free parking, breakfast, and a free shuttle to downtown. The shuttle runs twice an hour and has 3 routine stops: the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and Pioneer Square.

DH and I will be cruising out of Seattle. Would you recommend staying near the Space Needle or downtown? What would you recommend as a starting bid for 3rd week in August for 2 nights at a 3 1/2 +* hotel?

Would appreciate any recommendations. Has anyone else bidded and won Seattle for August?

Thanks!!

Was the $150 a night for the Crowne Plaza a 3 or 4* hotel and is that before or after taxes? From what I'm seeing $150 is not a bad price for a hotel. I was able to get a 4* for $132 last year in Vancouver. It looks like Seattle is a little bit more expensive for the same time of year.

It's Hotwire, not Priceline but thought I'd share:

We booked the 5-star Vancouver West location for $181 July 22-23 because it DIDN'T include "near golf" in the amenities which usually means its the Pan Pacific, but ended up with Sutton Place:eek:. Drat - I was looking forward to seeing the Coral coming in to port in the morning but hey, we're still on vacation so it will be lovely.

Edited by LoriPhil