Is this just lip service about dress codes?

Thanks for the link. The video basically describes suggested dress. The only unacceptable dress described was swimsuits in the dining areas.

Shorts in the MDR on smart casual or formal nights?......... this was not discussed, but I have not seen enforcement on Oasis class.

It wasn't until this that I've noticed that the recent compasses for Oasis list Casual and Formal as being the dress codes and yet the RCI website doesn't even define Casual dress code. The only things defined are Smart Casual and Formal. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

I know that not everyone is happy with the idea of cruise lines going to a more casual approach, but this certainly makes packing for our upcoming Oasis cruise a bit easier.

It wasn't until this that I've noticed that the recent compasses for Oasis list Casual and Formal as being the dress codes and yet the RCI website doesn't even define Casual dress code. The only things defined are Smart Casual and Formal. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

I know that not everyone is happy with the idea of cruise lines going to a more casual approach, but this certainly makes packing for our upcoming Oasis cruise a bit easier.

Here is one spot where they define what they mean by casual:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Formal nights are hardly "outdated" on several cruise lines and if you ask some of those passengers that's one of the reasons they like those ships.

I have noticed that the "definitions" are becoming much more relaxed. Witness "Evening Chic" on Celebrity which ends up meaning as dressy as you feel like getting.

Even on "those ships" I referenced above I have seen on occasion a complaint about "ballcaps" in dining rooms and I'm one of those folks who was brought up to always remove any hat I was wearing inside many places but that's obviously gone by the boards for many. I guess perhaps for funerals?

It is interesting that the video and the web link (both produced by RCI) have different definitions of casual and smart casual.

In today's world, a jacket and tie is never associated with the word casual no matter what adjective you put before it. Nice slacks and an open collar shirt, yes, but tie and jacket, no way.

I wish the cruise lines would be consistent so that we know what to wear. We personally would love casual every night, but won't dress casual if it isn't allowed.

Khakis and a polo shirt is great! I guess I get annoyed with people that really could careless... Shorts and a t-shirt is not acceptable... Yes, it is your vacation and you paid for it but it is called respect in my opinion...They don't enforce any of the "rules" They are do afraid of the back lash and offending which is sad in my opinion. White table cloth dinner is not an appropriate place for very, very casual attire.... I'd rather see dressy jeans any day than shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap!!

Interesting....that video seems to imply that shorts are now officially OK in the MDR.

There were TONS of shorts (and an occasional tank-top) in MDR on our Liberty cruise a few weeks ago. Other than formal night, we did not see them turn anyone away.

tho I was sent back from MDR to put a cover up for my T-shirt for Breakfast one morning, when I was wearing MORE than some had been wearing at dinner. . it just depends on who is running the MDR.

We did our first NCL cruise last Sept/Oct. and talk about no rules. I LOVED going to dinner, whatever the venue in jeans. Just my opinion. Back to RCCL this year so I'll be back in Khakis and nice shirt.

I am old school. I don't like shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps in the main dining room. Smart casual is a nice shirt and pants. We had guy on the Harmony who wore the same t-shirt three nights in a row.

I'm with you. How hard is it to put on a decent pair of pants and a polo shirt? On our last cruise a guy showed up in shorts and tee shirt every night. Although credit where credit is due, at least on formal night his t shirt didn't say "Budweiser."

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Why does t-shirt and ballcap always get associated with shorts?

This trifecta association is tiresome and, frankly, a little odd that people can't understand that some people want to be casual without dressing like a picnic in the park either. I'm not interested in wearing a tshirt or hat to dinner, but shorts yes. and not gym shorts. Polo shirt, tan or grey pocket shorts and boat shoes are pretty much my south florida standard when not at work, and acceptable in many places, some far better than any cruise ship main dining room. I've got an abundance of hair on top so no need for a hat here. Not everything is so extreme. Just because I want to ditch my work slacks doesn't mean I'm showing up straight from the beach. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Consider that.

Dress how you like; that includes dressing up, or not dressing up. Enjoy yourselves. In almost 30 years of cruising I have no idea what anyone else not part of my party was wearing. Even then I probably could not tell you.

As long as they're clean I don't care what people wear to dinner. I'm sitting down for my own meal and don't feel insulted, etc. How someone else's clothes should affect me I don't know. I don't wear shorts or a t-shirt or a ball cap to dinner, but frankly don't care if someone else does. I won't dress formally, but I might wear jeans on casual night and khakis and a button down on other nights. That's my preference. I don't understand all the ongoing commotion about other people's clothes.

Why does t-shirt and ballcap always get associated with shorts?

This trifecta association is tiresome and, frankly, a little odd that people can't understand that some people want to be casual without dressing like a picnic in the park either. I'm not interested in wearing a tshirt or hat to dinner, but shorts yes. and not gym shorts. Polo shirt, tan or grey pocket shorts and boat shoes are pretty much my south florida standard when not at work, and acceptable in many places, some far better than any cruise ship main dining room. I've got an abundance of hair on top so no need for a hat here. Not everything is so extreme. Just because I want to ditch my work slacks doesn't mean I'm showing up straight from the beach. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Consider that.

Dress how you like; that includes dressing up, or not dressing up. Enjoy yourselves. In almost 30 years of cruising I have no idea what anyone else not part of my party was wearing. Even then I probably could not tell you.

I'm from Florida too and nice shorts with a button up shirt or polo shirt is totally considered dressy in our state. We had people wear that to our beach wedding and it was great.

I guess I just don't get the issue with adhering to dress codes. I'm in my mid-30s (depending on posters who think dress attire is "old school" vs. "new school"), and I don't know why dress code couldn't/shouldn't be enforced. I bring up my age only because I keep hearing that age is a reason for a "newer" way of thinking of dining.

I approach dining on how I would dress (or how I "should" dress) when I'm dining "at home." The MDR gets a bad rep, but I still think of it should be looked at as an higher-end (not necessarily fine-dining) restaurant, where the wait staff cares for your every need. Business casual should be a minimum. If you go to specialty dining or, more importantly, formal night, it should be exactly that...formal.

Each cruise line posts its expectations/requirements. Do I like dressing up? Not necessarily on a regular basis. But if that's the requirement of the establishment that I want to enter, than YES, I will adhere to the requirements. This is no different than any restaurant in your area. I just don't see why people think it should be any different when you're "on vacation." You choose the establishment when you're at home and you choose where you eat on the cruise. Each cruise line lets passengers know, well ahead of time, what their expectations are regarding dining attire, so there shouldn't be a planning/packing problem. If don't want to dress a certain way, no problem....here are the places where you can dine. However, I am constantly disappointed in RC enforcement of the dress code, and because of this, many do question on why they should adhere to a rule. Because we see individuals/families not adhering to the prescribed dress code, leads to individuals asking themselves "why should I?" That being said, I feel RC should do a better job in restricting access to those who don't follow the dress policy. Are they really losing a significant amount of $$$ from "upsetting" those who do not like the policy?

Sorry for the rant, I just don't see why pre-established rules (regardless if it's horribly enforced), causes so my trouble.

Formal nights are hardly "outdated" on several cruise lines and if you ask some of those passengers that's one of the reasons they like those ships.

I agree. It seems there is a cadre of folks that push the envelope for what they want the rules to be.

We have been on Empress twice since she returned to RCI and found that on a ship with no formal night many of the guests dressed up nearly every night. On what would have been formal night on our 7 night most dressed as if it was a formal night.

Times have changed.

I wear more summer capris now on board than casual dresses.

Yea times are changing.

Just list what is acceptable and stick to it.

Just saying

Then we can continue to see those that dont care one way or another.

Later