Nude Areas on Ships?

sullaRaffaello

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I just got off the NCL Pearl. They have a "freestyle" deck. My husband and I went up there to get away from the crowd and so I could rest my sunburn for a bit and remove my straps. I only saw topless women and their fully clothed husbands up there - but maybe it was because the men weren't interested in being freestyle on that day. I recall reading that a men have sunbathed nude on previous cruises.

I was on Jade last year, and wondered about the "Freestyle Deck". Nothing out of the usual when I looked, but I did note the frosted glass. I'll be more adventurous on the next cruise, but will ask a crew member. I'd rather not be thrown in the brig!

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me if the balconies on the NCL Star private enough for nude sunbathing or can I get in trouble?

The balconies are private enough to do this, but if neighbors want to try and look, they simply have to peek around the divider.

I have never had over-inquisitive neighbors, but would certainly certainly discourage them if I did.

Not much is said on the boards about this but I think that many people do this from time to time.:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The balconies are private enough to do this, but if neighbors want to try and look, they simply have to peek around the divider.

I have never had over-inquisitive neighbors, but would certainly certainly discourage them if I did.

Not much is said on the boards about this but I think that many people do this from time to time.:p

My girl friend always sun baths topless on the balcony. Neither her nor I care if anybody is 'over-inquisite'.

On NCL you have the Pearl, Jewel, Jade and Gem for sure with Freestyle Decks. And now the Epic. We'll be testing that one on June 24.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, the Celebrity Constellation was a “partly clothing optional” cruise, not truly “nude”. At no time was nudity required; during port stops and in some areas, it was prohibited. Also, unlike a resort where you can go elsewhere, you're stuck on the ship. So many people were unhappy with the Celebrity Constellation ship and service, BN cancelled their Fall 2011 Celebrity charter and booked with another line. Nude participation was so small, at one point they put out a memo “this is not a bath-robes optional cruise”. (I wish they hadn't- the number of fat people flaunting themselves instead of covering up was appalling.)

BN caters to the segment called “naturist”. The arguments between “naturists” and truly “clothing-optional” are intensely political, but naturists, at least a very vocal minority, are a pretty self-righteous, judgmental and intolerant bunch. As well as Celebrity's security being the most obnoxious of any ship I've been on, BN has what are known as “peter police” ready to pounce if fun seems in danger of breaking out- unless you're a transvestite or blatant voyeur, which they seem quite happy with.

I wouldn't call this cruise fun, at all. Do lots of careful research before deciding on a cruise rather than a resort.

We were on the cruise and agree it could have been better. The bath robes should have been removed from the cabins! Either dress or undress. The weather was too cold to enjoy the pool and sun decks on most sea days and many times the ship too air conditioned to be comfortable nude. Still we had fun and may try another CO cruise.

If you want to have "fun" there are "life style" swinger cruises available Caliente's web site Calienteresort.com lists 9.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My friend just cruised on Costa, she said top deck was clothing optional.

Got back last week from a western Caribbean week on Costa Atlantica. Only saw one topless woman on the aft deck with the jogging track on the eleventh deck.

Which ship and where was she (the ship) did your friend go on?

EJKorvette on the boards

My mantra is "When in Rome...".

We were on the Costa Atlantica for a western Caribbean cruise last week. My girlfriend said she did not appreciate seeing all the men wearing the skimpy European Speedo-type suit. That, and all the smoking, are the only two cultural things she doesn't like about Europeans. I told her I wasn't looking at the men (except for the guy who walked through the Lido buffet deck wearing nothing but a Speedo).

EJKorvette on the boards

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was on the freestyle upper deck(19)nude everyday of the cruise on the epic(Barcelona to Italy and France in July. One woman and her husband were nude together, sometimes alone, a few other guys sunbathed in the nude and one waiter covered his genitals when he turned over to lie on his back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm new to cruising, I went on my first one last fall with my DS. She had been on one cruise 20 years ago and assured me that everyone wore skimpy suits. So when I strolled out in my thong to the pool I was suprised that no one else had one on. I did go to the adult only pool, but I was the "freak", but didnt care. No one told me it was inepropreate but I did still feel a bit out of place.

I love sun bathing and being semi nude. I would like to ask seasond cruisers if it is frowned upon to where a thong at the pool on the cruise ships these days. I try to only go to the adult pool but that doesnt seem to be inforced. Im cruising with my DH, and sister and her hubby this fall on Carnival and would like to be able to feel comfortable at the pool and not have to stay on our balcony. All coments would be appreciated (BTW I did pose this question to a group sailing the same days and they were all very nice in saying whatever feel good - go for it).

But what is the general concencous on women in thongs, and why has the style changed so much on Caribean cruises?

Ok so it's few years late but I just signed up here on CC LOL. Great cruise pics Sally. You are beautiful!

~~Jules~~

• 3 months later...

Most cruise ships have removed their clothing optional and topless decks. If you find one, most likely no one else will be there or you might find an occaisional person that is actually breaking the rules and they most likely will be asked to cover up.

There are Nude Cruises (Bare Necessities) is the largest and most popular and then there are cruises like we put on that aren't centered around nudity, but we do have clothng optional decks.

About 1/3rd just goes topless, another 1/3rd goes full nude and the other 1/3rd stays dressed (although lots of thongs and teeny weeny bikinis can be found.

Couples Cruises are more fun, party type cruises and you should look up the F.A.Q.'s and read the reviews before you book. Oh, and they are adults only and couples only.

Bob & Tess

• 2 months later...
How can you find out if a ship has a CO area before you book the cruise?

Check the deck plans and look for "freestyle" or "C/O" decks. Or just call and ask about clothing optional areas or European style bathing areas. I know Costa allows topless in all sun deck areas, but you have to be accepting of everything else being excessively European. Some of NCL's ships have the freestyle decks. And Celebrity M class ships have C/O decks.