WHY Indian Food ?

block

I will try Indian food before settling for hamburgers or pizza on a cruise any day. I can make good Italian and Asian at home with my eyes closed. I hope to try new things, not settle for mass market all the time.

My roots are German and Welsh. I love German food, and that DOESN'T mean sausages and beer. Try rouladen , spaetzle, and red cabbage, mmmmm.

Like already said, there are 7 continents, many ethnicities to be represented. Indian is only one of them.

Read here too much and you might be discouraged from cruising!!

I hit this board several times a day, totally addicted.

Mara: my roots, too, are not exceptionally exotic, but my mom and sister made paella, couscous au mouton, rattatouille, curries and lots of varied foreign dishes appear on our table. And there's no way we'll let foodies or newbie cruisers be chased away--voices of reason and adventure are always here to rebut the as-yet-unconverted. Some who have objections may have actual physiological issues to deal with, and with that, I sympathize. But to those who will not try the unusual dish or two, or at least accept that others do like it, I say "Open your mouths, open your senses, and open your minds."

Edited by capncarp

Funny as a child I thought the same about hot dogs, hamburgers and soda, and while I still wouldn't touch the stuff as an adult I realize that different people have different tastes. I love Indian food, but if you don't I recommend not eating it. :)

Those same people might hate the smell of cilantro, jalapeno and clove - spices I love and eat very often.

Interestingly, the smell of cilantro (which produces coriander seeds) is somehow associated with bed bugs, so perhaps those who don't like the smell of it may have had nasty experiences with bed bugs.

Some people are really very fascinated about Indian food because of its flavor. But eating same food everyday at lunch is really very disgusting.

*Sigh* It just seemed like this topic settled out and then someone else comes up with an ignorant statement.

On one hand, what you say is not related to Indian food. I know many people who *prefer* to eat the same thing every day at the buffet, be it curry or hamburgers.

On the other hand, have a look at the menu of an Indian restaurant sometime, its not all the same. I can't comment on the buffet this time around because we didn't go at lunch, but I can say last time they had a different main dish and veg every day. The only thing that stayed the same were the side dishes. As for dinner this time around, the Indian selections on the menu were different every night in terms of spices used and appearance.

I honestly didn't realize cruises offered this much Indian food, I haven't been on one in four years so I guess things must have changed. I'm actually excited for my cruise even more now, I LOVE Indian food and so does DH and my toddlers.

Edited by cruisinnancy

I honestly didn't realize cruises offered this much Indian food, I haven't been on one in four years so I guess things must have changed. I'm actually excited for my cruise even more now, I LOVE Indian food and so does DH and my toddlers.

Speaking of toddlers, when he was still a very small child, my godson, who is purely Anglo-Saxon/Nordic, fair skin, blond hair, used to eat with us in any exotic restaurant we went to; at one point he was eating coriander chutney, licking it off a pappadum (think a potato chip made out of spiced lentil flour) like the stuffing off of an Oreo. Surprised the hell out of the waiter. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

One reason that has yet to be mentioned is that simply put Indian Food is perfect for Buffets, unlike Chinese, American, italian, etc cuisine, most indian dishes not only can be left to simmer on the side without the food being negatively affected, but it actuially improves the food itself.

When cook curries at home i leave it to simmer for a couple of hours before serving to improve the flavour. Can you imagine doing the same to Burgers or Pizza?

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

to each his own, no one is forced to eat anything,

it's nice to have flavorful options and not just the typical burger and greasy fries or fatty battered/breaded dishes.

to each his own, no one is forced to eat anything,

it's nice to have flavorful options and not just the typical burger and greasy fries or fatty battered/breaded dishes.

But...I _love_ the typical burger and greasy fries and fatty battered/breaded dishes too!!!:o

BTW, Indian food is usually better the 2nd or third day, after the flavors have blossomed and saturated the food.

• 2 weeks later...

Why so much Indian food? Have you looked where a fair percentage of the F&B BOH (Back of House) staff are from? When tasked with coming up with a daily special, they are going to draw on where they are from. There are a lot of Indian and Bangladeshi in the Food and Beverage department, especially in the kitchens.

Also, note there there are a lot of Filipino staff in the FOH (Front of House) areas. There are many schools in the Philippines dedicated to teaching waiters and bartenders.

The cruise lines get well-trained but very cheap labor (by Western standards.) The employees send most of their money home. Not a lot different than many US restaurants with foreign-born labor in their kitchens.

• 1 month later...

In my experience NCL always has an Indian food station in the buffet. I LOVE it! Its the first place I go when eating at the buffet. Its tasty, spicy and gives me a break from all the meat at the other meals. A lot of people dont like the smell of curry but I bet if they actually tasted it they would like it.:D

Been to Marrakesh restaurant at EPCOT and loved it too. You can almost always walk right in because many would rather go to Italy or China for something more "familiar." Marrakesh had the most amazzzing braised lamb shank I have EVER had (RCI should get the recipe) and thats coming from a GREEK home cook. They also had some wonderful other kabob entrees & appetizers. We loved the belly dancer & even bought goods & spices from the Moroccan gift shop.

FYI There are many different kinds of curries. Besides being a spice, a curry also means a "sauce" that may or may not contain curry in it. Curries are complex & FULL of flavor. Some are milder, sweeter, spicier, earthier, etc...

The prior suggestions from Indian food lovers are correct. Start simple with tandoori chicken with some grilled onions, naan pita bread (yum) & simple basmati rice. If you like greek tzatziki sauce you will like Indian raita. If you like sweet & sour sauce you will like mango chutney.

Spaghetti, Sloppy joes, nachos, tacos & chili are not sloppy foods? Those are so messy & are around every day in our lives. Just because it's not fried stuff covered with cheese, between a bun or served with fries & ketchup doesn't mean it won't be good.

Try something new.

You just might like it.

Edited by Pack My Bags

I have been reading this thread about Indian food being offered on cruise ships and could not resist putting in my 2 cents worth of comments. I for one love Indian food. I was thrilled to learn that it will be available on my upcoming first cruise. I live in a rural small town and all there is around here is pizza, pasta, burgers and hot dogs. I want to do the entire cruise without ever seeing those things if I don't want to. Indian food or anything other than bland hometown type stuff will be on my plate whenever offered.:)

Makes me laugh actually, all this tallk of 'ethnic' foods from different countries, how one person likes a whole nation of food and another hates all of the food from another country.

There are so many different things within any Nation's menu you can't dislike it all unless you've tried it all.

I've fortunately travelled world-wide over the years, enjoy curries immensely but not from many restaurants at home in England - I often find the curry flavour here is too intense, replacing subtle flavours with more 'heat' inducing spices sometimes so hot it's pointless trying to enjoy it.

Same with Chinese food, the country is so vast that the regional variations means saying 'I don't like Chinese/Indian/Nepali food' or any other nations food just makes you look ignorant.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty !

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Indian food so I am not complaining :D They had a good amount of Indian food on my Celebrity cruise as well but then they did have other cuisine types too.

I think overall Indian food is popular which is obviously why they have it, I think it also has something to do with the fact that there are a lot of Indian crew and hence Indian chefs. The flavors can be too strong for some people but then that applies to Thai food as well.

Edited by trident777

• 4 weeks later...

It's fashionable right now. Before, it was sushi, sushi everywhere, the best, the healthiest. Now, it's Indian. The best, the healthiest, for vegetarians. Many other cuisines around the world has a lot of vegetarian dishes as well. So, why suddenly Indian?