Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

As far as the tumbleweeds go. John and I figure eventually we will cough up a hairball. :eek: The black labs are bad but I think our yellow was even worse. When we had Rangeley, we carried one of those sticky brushes everywhere we went. If we went somewhere dressed up, our black clothes were yellow by the time we got there. I just washed Wexlers blanket that is on Johns bed and both the washer and dryer were covered with hair. I had to spend time de-hairing the machines or someone will prob complain, since they complain about everything. Everytime I vacuum the dog hair fills up the whole canister.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments :D. I get the filthiest looks from the choc boy if I have been anywhere remotely near another dog and he of course smells them instantly when I come home! He even has been known to refuse his "haven't you been a good boy" welcome home biscuit with a shake of his head no less! and I get a look of total disdain with a "who have you been with?" It lasts for about 30 seconds whilst he considers this and then "hunger" or is that "greed" overtakes him and all is forgiven for that biscuit!

My first doberman, Princess was like that. Would give me the "evil eye" if I was even near another dog. Sometimes she would pout and not talk to me for about 15 minutes. (Pouting was funny: She'd go lie down, turn her back, and not even look at me.)

Roxie is different, very happy-go-lucky. She's just like, "Wow, you saw another dog? Where? Can we go back to see the dog? Oh well, you're home now. Let's play!" :)

We are not going. Our area has been chosen for the nailclipping/grinding thing. I'll post part of the email, it's easier to understand than me trying to describe it.

I have some exciting news! CCI and its Wounded Veteran's Initiative has been chosen, by Especially for Pets, Inc. as the recipient of the Nail Clipping 2013 Q2 Fundraiser! This program is described below. All seven EFP locations offer nail clipping/grinding. The management team accepts applications from all animal related 501( C ) non profit organizations. I submitted an application, on behalf of CCI, with the target recipient being the Wounded Veteran's Initiative. Four organizations are chosen each year and CCI was chosen for 2013-Q2, April, May and June. In recent years, donations have amounted to an average of $7,000 to $9,000 per organization! That's a lot of paws!

Someone has to be at each EFP location throughout the 3 months and our date is April 6th.

Nail clipping/grinding......Horton's favorite!!!

We have never been to the workshops. It seems we have something doing everytime it comes up. Luckily for DKD it coincides with your recert. I think we have our recert next April, hopefully they will be up here in our area.

We graduated from Santa Rosa but we have to go to the Oceanside workshops because we're "Southern Calif."

Hey, southern, northern it all works for me! No matter which one we go to it's at least a 3-7 hour drive.

I live near L.A. Aren't we big enough to have a full working CCI program here?

As far as the tumbleweeds go. John and I figure eventually we will cough up a hairball. :eek: The black labs are bad but I think our yellow was even worse. When we had Rangeley, we carried one of those sticky brushes everywhere we went. If we went somewhere dressed up, our black clothes were yellow by the time we got there. I just washed Wexlers blanket that is on Johns bed and both the washer and dryer were covered with hair. I had to spend time de-hairing the machines or someone will prob complain, since they complain about everything. Everytime I vacuum the dog hair fills up the whole canister.

Yep! I'm on my second [very expensive] vaccum for my "fur-balls!"

And, coughing-up a furball is so funny-but so true!!!!

I'm not a rubber glove kind of gal but it's the best way to really pick up the hair on throw pillows and inbetween the pillows on the couch and even their beds. Just put on your gloves and start running your hand across the fabric.......OMG! I could start stuffing pillows with the stuff! :eek:

My first doberman, Princess was like that. Would give me the "evil eye" if I was even near another dog. Sometimes she would pout and not talk to me for about 15 minutes. (Pouting was funny: She'd go lie down, turn her back, and not even look at me.)

Roxie is different, very happy-go-lucky. She's just like, "Wow, you saw another dog? Where? Can we go back to see the dog? Oh well, you're home now. Let's play!" :)

What a sweetie! One of my fellow workers has a "Roxie" too!

Horton has to sniff EVERTHING in his path and I do mean EVERYTHING!!!! Today it was the elevator walls....If I don't re-direct him he will obsess over whatever has his ofactory glands going!!!! He has such bad OCD!

However, he is easy to re-direct and that's a good thing!

I don't remember if I told you guys about the wonderful family that Horty and I met onboard the Sappire on my last cruise [they live in Scotsdale, Arizona.] They have two adorable daughters that I just fell in love with and Horton loved too!

Well, they just booked my cruise on March 30th and will be going with us again. I called my TA and connected our names so that we can be seated together at dinner.

Part of the fun of cruising is having someone with you who shares the amazing experience with you and loves it as much as you do! I would much prefer that Morey go but he doesn't enjoy it. He has no patience for packing, unpacking, the lines, the crowds and the waiting. He loves me to share my stories but really prefers staying in his LayZboy and watching CNN. He doesn't travel well!

We've been all over the world together and he's been "kranky" all over the world!!!

So, now I'm traveling with other family members or friends. I don't mind the packing, the lines or the crowds.....it's so much fun to meet new friends. It's also nice to know that I have Morey and Brenny waiting for me at home!

I found out yesterday that "Pippin" [the other Black Lab that I was in Team Training with] walked in the Presidential Inaugural Parade. He was with his handler Rachel and they were right behind the banner.

I think I've watched the parade over and over and over again just to see him. He looks just like Horton only he's smaller & thinner and although he was a joy to work with, Horton and I connected on a whole other level!

I don't remember if I told you guys about the wonderful family that Horty and I met onboard the Sappire on my last cruise [they live in Scotsdale, Arizona.] They have two adorable daughters that I just fell in love with and Horton loved too!

Well, they just booked my cruise on March 30th and will be going with us again. I called my TA and connected our names so that we can be seated together at dinner.

Part of the fun of cruising is having someone with you who shares the amazing experience with you and loves it as much as you do! I would much prefer that Morey go but he doesn't enjoy it. He has no patience for packing, unpacking, the lines, the crowds and the waiting. He loves me to share my stories but really prefers staying in his LayZboy and watching CNN. He doesn't travel well!

We've been all over the world together and he's been "kranky" all over the world!!!

So, now I'm traveling with other family members or friends. I don't mind the packing, the lines or the crowds.....it's so much fun to meet new friends. It's also nice to know that I have Morey and Brenny waiting for me at home!

Thats great Roz. It will be nice for Horty to see someone he knows.

I found out yesterday that "Pippin" [the other Black Lab that I was in Team Training with] walked in the Presidential Inaugural Parade. He was with his handler Rachel and they were right behind the banner.

I think I've watched the parade over and over and over again just to see him. He looks just like Horton only he's smaller & thinner and although he was a joy to work with, Horton and I connected on a whole other level!

Thats cool! We had quite a few puppy raiser friends in the parade, but I didn't see any of them on the video. They went to fast to see. :(

Wow Where is everyone?

I'm here. I'm busy trying to plan my Hawaii cruise in 2014. If I take that cruise than it has to be only ONE cruise that year......I don't know if I can hold back!

I know it's for 15 days and I should be okay with that.....I'm thinking about it. It would be in March [only good time away from work.]

Brenda's coming to work today with Horty and me. She went to the Spa this morning and will spend the rest of the day, with us. She'll be so confused because we're in our new offices.

I'm here. I'm busy trying to plan my Hawaii cruise in 2014. If I take that cruise than it has to be only ONE cruise that year......I don't know if I can hold back!

I know it's for 15 days and I should be okay with that.....I'm thinking about it. It would be in March [only good time away from work.]

Brenda's coming to work today with Horty and me. She went to the Spa this morning and will spend the rest of the day, with us. She'll be so confused because we're in our new offices.

I didnt know you were going to Hawaii. :(

How did Brenda do at work?

I didnt know you were going to Hawaii. :(

How did Brenda do at work?

Want to come? Oh! Wait! It leaves out of L.A. That means you'll have to fly here.....I totally understand the not wanting to fly thing!

Brenda is so cute. Her face has changed so much. She worked beside me here for over 10 years and although a lot of the people who saw her are new to meeting her, there were a lot more who worked with her for most of those years.

They got such a kick out of seeing her and she really doesn't know our new offices so she stuck pretty close to me and Horty. She knew every inch of our old offices and it would have been fun to see her roaming the grounds and exploring but that was not to be.

When we got home she was exhausted and slept straight through without getting up to get her rice cake treat at 10:00pm.

She's such a dear, little 91 year old woman.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, please send me an email. I will be planning my 2014 vacations in a couple months and a cruise to Hawaii is very high on the list. :)

Have a great weekend everyone.

I know there's been some powerful storms in Sunshine's neighborhood.....I hope you came through it all with no problem. The weather here in L.A. is in the high 70's [feels like sprintime!] I don't trust it, it changes so quickly these days.

Trudy, is your daughter coming home tomorrow?

If you're Super Bowl fans enjoy your day......I'd like to see Michael Ohr play [after seeing the movie "The Blindside"] I really want to see him on the job. I don't really care who wins. I like half-time and the commercials.

I also like watching the Puppy Bowl, so cute!

I know there's been some powerful storms in Sunshine's neighborhood.....I hope you came through it all with no problem. The weather here in L.A. is in the high 70's [feels like sprintime!] I don't trust it, it changes so quickly these days.

Trudy, is your daughter coming home tomorrow?

If you're Super Bowl fans enjoy your day......I'd like to see Michael Ohr play [after seeing the movie "The Blindside"] I really want to see him on the job. I don't really care who wins. I like half-time and the commercials.

I also like watching the Puppy Bowl, so cute!

It's been cold here, but not as bad as last 2 weeks. 21 out there now, thats better than single digits. :eek:

Michael Ohr is on the Ravens...Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Go Niners!!!!!!!!

We love the puppy bowl too!!! Always watch that.

I did our taxes online yesterday. It was easy and free!! Now I will wait to get them back and we can book our next cruise! Yipeeeeee

John will have to do our state taxes by hand. Geesh I'm getting back a whole dollar. Hope we can handle that much cash. :eek:

Poor Wex hasn't gotten much exercise this past month. With the bitter cold and Johns shoulder hurting, we haven't got him out much. It would be great if you could throw the ball and he would go get it, but he's such a poop and will not run so we have to walk him. My Miss B would chase the ball til I made her stop. We are lucky if Wex runs after it once. :(

Poor Wex hasn't gotten much exercise this past month. With the bitter cold and Johns shoulder hurting, we haven't got him out much. It would be great if you could throw the ball and he would go get it, but he's such a poop and will not run so we have to walk him. My Miss B would chase the ball til I made her stop. We are lucky if Wex runs after it once. :(

Send Wex down here, I would love to walk him. It is only in the 60's

today :p

Roz---Yes my daughter will arrive back tomorrow. They are going to stay the night because of Superbowl. She enjoyed her trip but said she was sea sick for the first 2 1/2 days going and hopefully the seas were calm when she sailed back. She said no more West Coast sailing for her. And she usually doesn't get sea sick.Throw her a kiss when you see her ship. :)