Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We are in the very early stages of thinking about this cruise. We have puppy raiser friends (Cindy knows them) who might want to join us. The main reason I started doing some research is to show them what it is like to plan a cruise with someone in a wheelchair and with a service dog. They keep asking why we make vacation plans so early. Now they know. Once we get back from our Alaska cruise, we can take a good hard look at this next cruise.

You just stay on the ship in those ports. We don't mind not getting off in some ports. Most of the islands it's hard to find any handicapped transportation. We usually go to the shops at the dock and get back on the ship. Wex doesnt do good in the heat so we don't leave the ship for long. Sometimes the best days are when everyone gets off and we enjoy the peace and quiet.

I so agree with you. I love it when everyone gets off and the ship is mine, all mine! Okay, so there's a few dozen other folks who do the same as me but there's no long lines and the elevators are free.....do you understand me, free!!!! :D

You do not have to pay or fill out any forms for that island if you don't get off the ship.

Like I would part with my money if they got onboard and said I had to pay even if I didn't get off the ship.......NO WAY!!!!! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We are in the very early stages of thinking about this cruise. We have puppy raiser friends (Cindy knows them) who might want to join us. The main reason I started doing some research is to show them what it is like to plan a cruise with someone in a wheelchair and with a service dog. They keep asking why we make vacation plans so early. Now they know. Once we get back from our Alaska cruise, we can take a good hard look at this next cruise.

It sounds like, "see ya Caribbean"!

John went to the doctors yesterday and he does have a stone and it has to be removed. We have no idea when the surgery will be but hopefully soon. Hopefully by Monday he will feel good enough to go back to work, hes driving me crazy!! :eek:

John went to the doctors yesterday and he does have a stone and it has to be removed. We have no idea when the surgery will be but hopefully soon. Hopefully by Monday he will feel good enough to go back to work, hes driving me crazy!! :eek:

Please give John my best regards. I hope it goes easy and well for him.

One of the very reasons I started and remain working is because if I stayed home with my retired husband we'd either kill or leave each other.

First of all, he's very bossy and insists that I do all the errands; grocery shopping; cleaners; bank; etc., etc. And, with two dogs there's hair everywhere; I'd be vaccumming every day, dusting, etc., etc.

The world's a better place with me at work and not hanging around Morey all day! ;)

Love & Kisses to John!!!!!! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm a week and one day away from my cruise. My Travel Agent just called and said that Princess called them to let them know that someone has requested my cabin and asked if I would give it up!!!!!

My TA said this was the very first time in 10 years someone has ever done this. I said, "what's the incentive to move?" "I booked this cabin one year ago and this person calls one week out and they want me to move!"

My TA said they're offering me a bottle of wine each night at dinner. I said, "I don't think so!" I told him to have Princess call me directly and we'll talk.

My cabin is a mini-suite, close to Horton's potty box. I love it for it's size and convenience for my dog. My SIL and I had this last time we cruised together and Morey and I have had it for about 12 other cruises, onboard the Sapphire or Diamond. The other passengers really want our cabin, I don't blame them....looks like they should have called one year in advance, like I did!!! :p

I spoke to the Princess Rep. and told her I'd be willing to move if she offered me a full suite but, there were none avaliable. And, we don't want to move for less. She said that these folks told her that they only book this cabin when they cruise.......Oh! Well! If the other folks take another cabin, looks like it's going to be a very interesting cruise if they should approach us! :eek:

One of the very reasons I started and remain working is because if I stayed home with my retired husband we'd either kill or leave each other.

First of all, he's very bossy and insists that I do all the errands; grocery shopping; cleaners; bank; etc., etc. And, with two dogs there's hair everywhere; I'd be vaccumming every day, dusting, etc., etc.

The world's a better place with me at work and not hanging around Morey all day! ;)

We all are definately "sisters from different misters" because that is the way it is at our house, also! Either I or hubby would be moving on and I do not mean that in the nicest way!

I'm a week and one day away from my cruise. My Travel Agent just called and said that Princess called them to let them know that someone has requested my cabin and asked if I would give it up!!!!!

My TA said this was the very first time in 10 years someone has ever done this. I said, "what's the incentive to move?" "I booked this cabin one year ago and this person calls one week out and they want me to move!"

My TA said they're offering me a bottle of wine each night at dinner. I said, "I don't think so!" I told him to have Princess call me directly and we'll talk.

My cabin is a mini-suite, close to Horton's potty box. I love it for it's size and convenience for my dog. My SIL and I had this last time we cruised together and Morey and I have had it for about 12 other cruises, onboard the Sapphire or Diamond. The other passengers really want our cabin, I don't blame them....looks like they should have called one year in advance, like I did!!! :p

I spoke to the Princess Rep. and told her I'd be willing to move if she offered me a full suite but, there were none avaliable. And, we don't want to move for less. She said that these folks told her that they only book this cabin when they cruise.......Oh! Well! If the other folks take another cabin, looks like it's going to be a very interesting cruise if they should approach us! :eek:

Invite them over for a drink. :D

What was the cabin offer to give up your mini-suite??

What was the cabin offer to give up your mini-suite??

The exact same cabin only it was closer to the elevators and banks of stairs. Like I want to hear the elevators and people coming and going!

The cabin I'm in is so quiet and so nice for taking that much needed afternoon nap or for sleeping in!

I don't blame these folks for wanting my cabin......that's why I booked it over 12 months ago!!!!

Apparantly, these people want to do a b2b2b and don't want to have to move cabins on their 3 week cruise.

I may have to teach Horty how to "sic" on command!!!!! :mad:

Invite them over for a drink. :D

Yeah! That's the ticket! ;) The scenario would be something like this:....."Oh! Hello Mr. & Mrs. I Booked Too Late, won't you come in and join us for a cocktail in our lovely, quiet, peaceful mini-suite!" "Please feel free to take your shoes off and then don't forget them on your way out!" :p

The exact same cabin only it was closer to the elevators and banks of stairs. Like I want to hear the elevators and people coming and going!

The cabin I'm in is so quiet and so nice for taking that much needed afternoon nap or for sleeping in!

I don't blame these folks for wanting my cabin......that's why I booked it over 12 months ago!!!!

Apparantly, these people want to do a b2b2b and don't want to have to move cabins on their 3 week cruise.

I may have to teach Horty how to "sic" on command!!!!! :mad:

So I guess you told them to shove it?

So I guess you told them to shove it?

When the gal from Princess said, very abruptly, "well, have a nice cruise!" After I declined her offer of a bottle of wine with dinner......Her quick sign-off was my first clue that the negotiating wasn't going much further on her end.....and, that was just fine with me! :p

We just changed our cruise. With John out of work (going back tomorrow I think) and his upcoming surgery, we decided to take a 7 day cruise instead. It's 1200 cheaper so we're going for it. I'm still happy!!! :D

As long as John's okay.....you're going to love your cruise and especially the savings part!

Roz you should have told them you'd move if they offer you a free trip.

I am in the process of getting paperwork together for our July Carnival (eek!) cruise. I was able to get an appointment for passports for my kids for next week, spring break, at a tiny post office. Can we say relief? I was able to get one for late April at the busy main PO which would still give us time to get the documents for the kids but now I don't have to pull them out of school early for the passports.

Now for the dog, I have an appointment on Friday at the vet. I have the application for import that Carnival sent me. It looks like I can send that in on my own without the vet? Does that sound right? If I remember correctly I send this in and the Bahamas send me back a paper that I need to bring to the vet? I know in addition I need the health certificate that I'll need closer to the date of the cruise.

The cruise line referred me to pettravel.com for information. They have a "kit" the can sell me for $15 for the "Pet Passport Bahamas" that includes the import application, the vet certificate, and an airline certificate. I have never needed this website before and it sounds like I have or can get the paperwork from the vet myself.

CJ: Don't buy any "kit", talk to your Vet. He/she may charge for the Intl. Health Cert. but you'll get all that you need through them.

I've been spending my days at Northridge Hospital. My dear husband, Morey, fell on Monday and could not get up and I couldn't move him without him complaining of severe pain, he hit his head, had a black eye and was generally very, very weak. I called 911 and they were at his side in 7 minutes. They said his blood pressure was very high, his blood sugar was over 340 [110 would be normal] and he couldn't stop shaking. After a full battery of tests it was determined that he had had a silent stroke followed by symptoms of Parkinson's, rapid heart beat, lack of iron and magnesium and he was generally confused. Poor guy he's so sick. No broken bones, just lots of bruises. He's still in the hospital with I.V. of iron, sodium chloride, insulin injections, MRI's, CatScans, xray's - poking and prodding every day with telemetry on his heart. He can't stand-up, he can't walk, he can't be on his own......he's so traumatized......he's usually independent and self sustaining......he's hating every minute of his time in bed. I leave my visits with him, crying my way to the elevator.

With all of the above, you can imagine I won't be taking my long awaited cruise this Saturday [i am soooooo disappointed], there's lots of time to take all the cruises I want but there's only ONE MOREY!!!!!

He'll probably go to re-hab, learn to walk with a walker, be taken off of his usual vegan diet and with God's help and all your prayers live a long and wonderful life with the love of his life......ME!!!!

I will call my TA tomorrow and see if we can get a name change on the manifest and I'll give my cruise to my brother who can go with my SIL Debi, who was to be my cruising partner.

Horton and especially Brenda are missing our leader, Morey, and are sending him our strongest vibes to come home to us very soon!

I took both the dogs to the hospital [with their vests on] to visit him and they were so happy to see him, as he was to see them. I hated to leave him at the end of the visit.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

CJ: Don't buy any "kit", talk to your Vet. He/she may charge for the Intl. Health Cert. but you'll get all that you need through them.

I've been spending my days at Northridge Hospital. My dear husband, Morey, fell on Monday and could not get up and I couldn't move him without him complaining of severe pain, he hit his head, had a black eye and was generally very, very weak. I called 911 and they were at his side in 7 minutes. They said his blood pressure was very high, his blood sugar was over 340 [110 would be normal] and he couldn't stop shaking. After a full battery of tests it was determined that he had had a silent stroke followed by symptoms of Parkinson's, rapid heart beat, lack of iron and magnesium and he was generally confused. Poor guy he's so sick. No broken bones, ju st lots of bruises. He's still in the hospital with I.V. of iron, sodium chloride, insulin injections, MRI's, CatScans, xray's - poking and prodding every day with telemetry on his heart. He can't stand-up, he can't walk, he can't be on his own......he's so traumatized......he's usually independent and self sustaining......he's hating every minute of his time in bed. I leave my visits with him, crying my way to the elevator.

With all of the above, you can imagine I won't be taking my long awaited cruise this Saturday [i am soooooo disappointed], there's lots of time to take all the cruises I want but there's only ONE MOREY!!!!!

He'll probably go to re-hab, learn to walk with a walker, be taken off of his usual vegan diet and with God's help and all your prayers live a long and wonderful life with the love of his life......ME!!!!

I will call my TA tomorrow and see if we can get a name change on the manifest and I'll give my cruise to my brother who can go with my SIL Debi, who was to be my cruising partner.

Horton and especially Brenda are missing our leader, Morey, and are sending him our strongest vibes to come home to us very soon!

I took both the dogs to the hospital [with their vests on] to visit him and they were so happy to see him, as he was to see them. I hated to leave him at the end of the visit.

Oh Roz, I am so sorry to hear your news of Morey - although we don't know you, please give him our very best wishes for a speedy recovery to get home to you and Horton and Brenda. They will be wondering what on earth is going on with their "dad"! But I am sure, there is no doubt at all that their visits to Morey will help his recovery.

You must be disappointed about your cruise, but in a way, thank goodness this happened when you were still at home, and not away! You would have been in a terrible state to get back to him. There will always be another cruise.

Roz, I am sending you a big hug as I hate to think of you crying your way to the elevator - but I know I would be the same. Horton and Brenda will be giving you big doggy hugs which are the best in the world.

I do check in with all your tales from time to time and when I saw the time of your post I did wonder why on earth you were up at that time - now I know. Roz, you take care of yourself dear lady. :)

Roz: I am now crying too! Huge prayers and giant hugs coming your way. Fairbourne is so right. Imagine what might have happened if you were already on your cruise. Is he feeling better in general? Confusion gone? I hope the IV's get him the help he needs and he will be good to go. It is very stressful having to work and take care of a loved one.

Oh Roz, I am so sorry to hear about Morey, wishing him a full recovery.

Yes,, you miss your cruise but good thing you were still home when this happened. Hugs and Prayers to you and Morey. So nice that you can bring both dogs to the hospital----that will sure help with his recovery and probably help you also.

Sending Prayers and Hugs and please take care of yourself also.