Best pharmacy in Belize, Roatan,or Cozumel??

dixie54

Are you ill? Do you need something specific?

This is a risky practice...unless you really need a specific medication that's too expensive at home, you really shouldn't do this. You stand the risk of medicating yourself with the wrong drug, or helping "antibiotic resistance" take hold even more than it has (think, MRSA!...bad stuff!)

Unless you're ill, go swimming or touring...forget buying meds you don't need.

PLEASE...rethink this. You won't know what your getting, how old it is or if it's safe!! The price may seem attractive, but the after effects may really hurt you. I have heard MANY stories of how people bought prescriptions at ALL 3 of these ports and became ill. PLEASE, For your own safety...get your scripts filled at HOME!!:eek:

I am not one to EVER advocate purchasing medication in a foreign country, but I did purchase the generic of Plavix for my inlaws in Belize. They had fallen into the "donut hole" w/prescriptions and the generic for Plavix is not sold in the U.S. anymore. It is a small fraction of the brand and we have not encountered any problems. I will be purchasing a years worth when we visit next year. Honduras and Cozumel were no less expensive than home.

PLEASE...rethink this. You won't know what your getting, how old it is or if it's safe!! The price may seem attractive, but the after effects may really hurt you. I have heard MANY stories of how people bought prescriptions at ALL 3 of these ports and became ill. PLEASE, For your own safety...get your scripts filled at HOME!!:eek:

But if one's home country is a country that doesn't have reliable medications, then medications from Belize, Honduras, or Mexico may well be safer. Not everyone's home country has the best medical care, and indeed, many people travel from their home countries to foreign countries (especially to the United States) for medical care. Someone living in, say, Haiti, might well take advantage of being on a cruise to buy medicine in a foreign country because it could be newer or safer than medicine purchased at home.

But if one's home country is a country that doesn't have reliable medications, then medications from Belize, Honduras, or Mexico may well be safer. Not everyone's home country has the best medical care, and indeed, many people travel from their home countries to foreign countries (especially to the United States) for medical care. Someone living in, say, Haiti, might well take advantage of being on a cruise to buy medicine in a foreign country because it could be newer or safer than medicine purchased at home.

I have taken Metformin antibiotics, and many other meds over the past two years. All have done what they were supposed to do with no adverse effects.

What I would tell people is that you should not self diagnose. If it is something you are taking now I would monitor your condition closely due to fact you are changing brands and posably dosage .

• 2 weeks later...

No prescription needed in Belize...You can get just about anything. In Cozumel it depends on the drug. If it has a narcotic you must have a RX. I have bought RX drugs that I take on a regular basis in the Rio Grande valley for a long time without a RX. They are comparable in price to the drugs ordered from Canada with a RX. The downtown pharmacies in Cozumel are less expensive than the one at the port.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a pharmacist in the U.S.

I don't recommend buying these medications abroad... especially since there aren't stringent laws preventing counterfeiting over there like they have here.

People will go to buy, anyway... and from what I saw, I feel folks were doing it for recreational use.

Regardless, I DID take a photo of the pharmacy in Belize at the cruise port.

11434_1246172443588_1507726387_30674449_313833_n.jpg

******, Vicodin, Ambien, Retin-A, Darvocet

Darvocet has been removed from the US market recently because of some nasty side effects like heart arythmias and death.

http://www.usrecallnews.com/2010/11/potentially-fatal-heart-abnormalities-final-straw-in-darvocet-recall.html

I do not have a high opinion of pharmacies like this, but they are legal IN THOSE COUNTRIES.

Getting caught with them at Customs would probably lead to them getting confiscated.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/medication_drugs.xml

Moreover, in those instances where a United States manufacturer makes an FDA-approved prescription drug and sends it abroad, the Act also prohibits any person other than the original manufacturer from importing the drug back into the United States. Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States.

med_5falert_5fposter.jpg

Edited by Mack2