Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hi,

My Mom and I will be back in Israel in November of this year. We actually visited last year while on Mariner of the Seas, this year on the Rotterdam. We did two excellent tours last year that encompassed pretty much everything we wanted to see.

This go around, we think we'd like to do a Dead Sea Spa day, as we did Dead Sea & Masada last year and can't think of a really good reason to revisit Masada.

We are in Ashdod one day and Haifa the next. It seems the Dead Sea would be a better bet from Ashdod. Is it doable from Ashdod? Do you know if there is transportation to the Dead Sea from Ashdod? Is the Dead Sea a good idea in early November?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ashdod is a closer port to the Dead Sea so if you want to spend a full day in the Dead Sea coming from Ashdod will be better for you. The question is how do you plan to get to the Dead Sea? If you are considering a day in a spa hiring a guide for that will be too expensive and a waste of money. You have an option to take a taxi but that won’t be a cheap option to taking into consideration the waiting hours of the taxi at the Dead Sea. I have no idea how much this will cost but you can check the dispatcher and to my opinion even bargain a bit on the price.

If you are planning a full day in the Dead Sea without Masada I don’t recommend Ein Gedi Spa. Go on one of the hotels in Ein Bokek. They offer a spa package that include lunch, using of the private beach and all spa facilities for around 50$USD or less per person. I personally prefer one of the 2: Hod or Lot.

We will be in Israel for the next two weeks. We're staying with friends in Hadera, driving everywhere. I thought we'd spend at least two days and one night in Jerusalem. There are five of us. I figured that it'd be easier to drive to Jerusalem and park the car somewhere for the two days that we're there (must find a rental apartment, too) and use busses while we're there, or walk. Any idea where we can park for free or cheaply in the area?

• 8 months later...

We are arriving Ashdod Port. I know that taxis are available there, but will any of the taxi drivers be willing to take passengers to north of Tel Aviv (Netanya area)? Or do I need to make arrangements in advance with a taxi company?

We are visiting friends, have been to Israel many times, and just need transportation (not a tour). We will meet the ship two days later in Haifa.

• 3 weeks later...
We are arriving Ashdod Port. I know that taxis are available there, but will any of the taxi drivers be willing to take passengers to north of Tel Aviv (Netanya area)? Or do I need to make arrangements in advance with a taxi company?

We are visiting friends, have been to Israel many times, and just need transportation (not a tour). We will meet the ship two days later in Haifa.

I don't think that you should have a problem. The drivers are happy to do long haul trips. They go to Jerusalem from Ashdod all the time and Netanya is about the same distance and time

You should also have no problem getting a taxi from Netanya to Haifa

Edited by badatz

• 3 months later...

We will be arriving in Israel during Sukkot in October for 6 days leaving on Friday Oct 17 for Venice to catch a cruise. This is not our first time in Israel but it's our first time in Israel together. We are very young seniors. We'd like to see the tunnel tour, Yad Vashem, the Old City, Masada and the Dead Sea as well as visit Safed. We are planning to stay in Tel Aviv for the first couple days. As you are a resident, you would know what sites we can expect to find open during the holidays. Would you suggest that we rent a car, hire a guide or book day tours?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

We will be arriving in Israel during Sukkot in October for 6 days leaving on Friday Oct 17 for Venice to catch a cruise. This is not our first time in Israel but it's our first time in Israel together. We are very young seniors. We'd like to see the tunnel tour, Yad Vashem, the Old City, Masada and the Dead Sea as well as visit Safed. We are planning to stay in Tel Aviv for the first couple days. As you are a resident, you would know what sites we can expect to find open during the holidays. Would you suggest that we rent a car, hire a guide or book day tours?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

All sites will be open during Sukkot. I would recommend on renting a car especially since you've been here before and your able to get around with a GPS. Yad Vashem and Massada have self guided tours available. During Sukkot, if I'm not wronng, there will be a Kleizmer festival in Safed during this time which should be very nice ( though crowded ).

Edited by afzeluches123

All sites will be open during Sukkot. I would recommend on renting a car especially since you've been here before and your able to get around with a GPS. Yad Vashem and Massada have self guided tours available. During Sukkot, if I'm not wronng, there will be a Kleizmer festival in Safed during this time which should be very nice ( though crowded ).

I looked it up and must correct: The festival in Zafed is in August and not during Sukkot.

I looked it up and must correct: The festival in Zafed is in August and not during Sukkot.

There is always some Klezmer going on in Safed. It's like jazz in NOLA, even if it isn't at a Mardi Gras peak, it will be there.

Edited by Marian Paroo

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'd be happy to answer questions you have about Israel and visiting Israel. (I'm not a travel agent nor am I associated with any agent, I'm just a smiling resident happy to help out.)

I moved to Israel from New Jersey almost 10 years ago, and live in a Jerusalem suburb. [i'm about to take my first cruise- to the Mexican Riviera :-).]

I'll try to check this board a couple of times a week, and while I'm sure I don't have the answers to all your questions, I'll be happy to answer those I can.

Israel is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you're going to love every moment of it!

[That's a pic of my town in my signature- we live in the Jerusalem hills.]

we (2) will be in Ashdod/Jerusalem on 10/12 & 13 and Haifa on 10/14 and and are looking for recommendations for small party (15 or less) tour guides.

I just found out our friends are going to apply for Baha'i pilgrammage in 2 yrs. If my health allows it I really want to go with them. My husband will come as well. Going to Haifa the last time was so wonderful and I would really like to do it again. The only thing I am worried about though is that I am not partially disabled and require a walker to get around. It will cause some problems I know and am hoping that maybe it will be okay and I will be able to handle it.

tigercat

• 3 weeks later...

Shalom. Thanks for taking time to answer questions.

We are making final payment on our October cruise next week. Hope curren unrest settles down, really feel for the families affected.

Regardless, we are expecting to be in Israel - 2 days in Ashdod and 1 day in Haifa if all goes well. Some times if there is unrest we end up in Haifa only, which we love.

We are wondering if there are sheruts we can get to various places in Israel... we have friends we would like to visit while there.

Ashdod to Haifa? Ashdod to Netanyua?

Haifa to Motzkin? Haifa to Nahairya?

Another option would be i guess the train, is that possible from Ashdod or do we need to go to Televiv?

We suspect private taxis will be too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
Shalom. Thanks for taking time to answer questions.

We are making final payment on our October cruise next week. Hope curren unrest settles down, really feel for the families affected.

Regardless, we are expecting to be in Israel - 2 days in Ashdod and 1 day in Haifa if all goes well. Some times if there is unrest we end up in Haifa only, which we love.

We are wondering if there are sheruts we can get to various places in Israel... we have friends we would like to visit while there.

Ashdod to Haifa? Ashdod to Netanyua?

Haifa to Motzkin? Haifa to Nahairya?

Another option would be i guess the train, is that possible from Ashdod or do we need to go to Televiv?

We suspect private taxis will be too expensive.

Hello,

Hopefully this is still relevant. The experience from previous rounds of violence indicates that their duration is limited, and there is a very good chance that by October all will be quiet.

All of the cities that you mentioned have excellent connections by train. However, trains and most other forms of public transit do not run on Shabbat (Friday afternoon to Saturday evening - check timetables on http://www.rail.co.il/EN). If you need to travel on weekdays, I think the train is the best option.

Ashdod has a train station, but it is in the outskirts of the city, rather far from the port. Some cruise lines may offer shuttles to the city center, which is closer to the station, and also has an express bus connection to Tel Aviv.

As for Sherut lines, I know there is a line from Tel Aviv to Haifa (also serves Netanya), and a line from Haifa to Nehariya (also for K. Motzkin). Not sure about Ashdod. Anyway, Sheruts have no predictable timetables so best to use them if no other options are available (that is, on Shabbat).

Hello,

Hopefully this is still relevant. The experience from previous rounds of violence indicates that their duration is limited, and there is a very good chance that by October all will be quiet.

All of the cities that you mentioned have excellent connections by train. However, trains and most other forms of public transit do not run on Shabbat (Friday afternoon to Saturday evening - check timetables on http://www.rail.co.il/EN). If you need to travel on weekdays, I think the train is the best option.

Ashdod has a train station, but it is in the outskirts of the city, rather far from the port. Some cruise lines may offer shuttles to the city center, which is closer to the station, and also has an express bus connection to Tel Aviv.

As for Sherut lines, I know there is a line from Tel Aviv to Haifa (also serves Netanya), and a line from Haifa to Nehariya (also for K. Motzkin). Not sure about Ashdod. Anyway, Sheruts have no predictable timetables so best to use them if no other options are available (that is, on Shabbat).

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Shalom.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I can ask a friend there about it, but it the meantime can recommend a superb one on Tel aviv if you need

We would love to know the name of the hotel. We are traveling to Tel Aviv this spring and will arrive a few days ahead of 10 day tour. Thank you.

We will be on a cruise next October with a 1 day stop in Haifa and 2 day stop in Ashdod. Although dw and I have been to Israel before many years ago, we want to see many Jewish sites as possible. Can you recommend either a reasonably priced private guide or a tour agency that books small group tours?

Edited by dabear