Scooter Through Regular Room Door

PhotoGal07

We're planning on going on a family reunion cruise, and the original plan was that we would get at least one suite on the Disney Dream where we could all congregate. My father however is scooter-bound for the most part. He can transfer from one chair to another, but that is about it. From my reading it looks like the typical stateroom door is 25 inches wide. I know his scooter is 20 inches wide (it's a Revo), but I keep reading that scooters won't fit through regular stateroom doors. They'll have a handicap room, but I'm sure my parents would like to join the rest of the family in one of the non-handicap suites on occasion. It seems like it wouldn't be an issue, given the dimensions of everything, but I didn't know if there was something I was missing. Could someone help shed some light?

We're planning on going on a family reunion cruise, and the original plan was that we would get at least one suite on the Disney Dream where we could all congregate. My father however is scooter-bound for the most part. He can transfer from one chair to another, but that is about it. From my reading it looks like the typical stateroom door is 25 inches wide. I know his scooter is 20 inches wide (it's a Revo), but I keep reading that scooters won't fit through regular stateroom doors. They'll have a handicap room, but I'm sure my parents would like to join the rest of the family in one of the non-handicap suites on occasion. It seems like it wouldn't be an issue, given the dimensions of everything, but I didn't know if there was something I was missing. Could someone help shed some light?

The actual base width of Pride Revo Scooter is 21.5" at the widest point. However the problem is that you are not considering width from arm rest to arm rest which is generally wider than the actual scooter base width. Following are the issue that will be encountered trying to get the Pride Revo which is not a travel size scooter into a standard stateroom.

• The typical DISNEY standard staterooms have a narrower entrance door of approximately 25" but can be less. The 25" is measured from door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2"-3" for the depth of the door width when opened as it does NOT open flush. This leaves the actual door clearance to be 22"-23". So the arm rests would need to be adjusted in width or totally removed to get through a standard doorway.

• Even if the scooter will fit through the doorway, a standard stateroom generally will not have the necessary interior floor space to accommodate the Pride Revo which is considered to be a full size scooter versus a smaller portable travel scooter. You have to consider how much floor space the scooter will actually require. The overall length of the Pride Revo scooter is 43" in addition to the overall width and also requires a minimum turning radius of 38" (depending on the skill level of the user) . How much interior floor space is available depends on whether it's a suite or not. Also note that if it's a standard balcony room the scooter will not be able to get past the bed to the balcony door. Even if by chance the scooter does fit past the bed , the balcony door will not be wheelchair scooter accessible.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Doors are about 23 inches wide, so many scooters can fit thru the doors. It is manuvering them in the passageways that can be difficult. If he has someone with him to help it could work out very well.

Disney standard cabin doorways tend to be a little larger than the other cruise lines at 25".

Have you contacted Disney and asked to speak for their accessibility people? Disney has a really good reputation for accessibility for both their land and sea properties.

We had a Pride Celebrity X and a Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus HD in a standard balcony room on the Disney Magic. Very little room was left in the cabin and we had to walk through one scooter to get into the second bathroom, but we made it work and had a great cruise. Other cabins would have been better if they were available when we booked late. Both scooters have three wheels.

I have sailed in a 1BR suite on the Dream. Unfortunately, the way that it is configured, there will not be easy for a scooter to get in and turn around. Unlike the 1BR mid-ship suites in the classic ships which would have been terrific, the 1BR's in the new ships are smaller and configured in an awkward manner. There is a table with four chairs behind the sofa and arm chair in the living room. There is a bench in the hallway which makes the hallway even narrower than the door. There is no turning space once into the living room area, the space near the desk where the Murphy Bed drops is it, but I don't think it's large enough for a scooter to turn.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

• 1 month later...
We rent a scooter through Care Vacations when taking our Princess cruises for my husband. He gets the biggest size scooter they have. As long as the door is 23" wide it fits through perfectly! We have never had to have a handicap room.:)

We will be renting a small scooter for the first time for my DH to save him from all the walking. We will be on the Crown Princess Alaska land tour & cruise in a standard balcony cabin, we like the angled balcony that we have. We don't want to take a handicap cabin away from someone that really needs it. He would only be using it to save on the walking and not taking it on excursions.

We have inquired from Special Needs At Sea and their scooter are 21" and Care Vacations are 22". Princess and the scooter companies say that the scooters will go through a standard cabin door.

I was thinking on putting the scooter where you hang the clothes and move the scooter to the desk area to charge it. We will bring an extension cord as someone suggested. I don't know if it would be an heavy duty extension cord for outside or one for inside the house type?

Is this possible with a small scooter to store it there?

Where do you put the scooter in the cabin and charge it up? At the desk area, there are not many outlets in the cabins?

Do you have to fill in the medical form from Princess if you are not in a handicap cabin?

How do you charge the battery up - you attach a cord to the battery and the other end to the wall?

You can see we are new at this.

We will be renting a small scooter for the first time for my DH to save him from all the walking. We will be on the Crown Princess Alaska land tour & cruise in a standard balcony cabin, we like the angled balcony that we have. We don't want to take a handicap cabin away from someone that really needs it. He would only be using it to save on the walking and not taking it on excursions.

We have inquired from Special Needs At Sea and their scooter are 21" and Care Vacations are 22". Princess and the scooter companies say that the scooters will go through a standard cabin door.

I was thinking on putting the scooter where you hang the clothes and move the scooter to the desk area to charge it. We will bring an extension cord as someone suggested. I don't know if it would be an heavy duty extension cord for outside or one for inside the house type?

Is this possible with a small scooter to store it there?

Where do you put the scooter in the cabin and charge it up? At the desk area, there are not many outlets in the cabins?

Do you have to fill in the medical form from Princess if you are not in a handicap cabin?

How do you charge the battery up - you attach a cord to the battery and the other end to the wall?

You can see we are new at this.

When having to book a standard cabin instead of an accessible cabin I do the following:

• Request that the coffee table be removed from the room. If not possible I push it between the end of the sofa and bed.
  • I have a Pride Go Go and the seat swivels by releasing a lever under the seat. I than remove the desk chair and place the scooter parallel to the desk as close as it can go. Than I use the scooter chair as the desk chair and than charge it from that position each night. Chance are you will also have a Pride GoGo as it's the most widely used scooter by both rental companies.

Tip: if you place the scooter on slow speed " Turtle" and turn the tiller as far as it can go in the direction needed before engaging in drive you will be able to do a 3 point (may 4 depending on your proficiency in operating a scooter ) to drive it forward out the cabin door rather than in reverse.

Charging the scooter : If it's a Pride Go Go there will be a black case directly beneath the seat that contains the battery. On the front of that the battery pask there will be a connection to insert the charger. The charger should be inserted into the battery pack before inserting into the electrical socket. Than the reverse should be done when disconnecting the charger. The key should be removed when charging. Once the charger is plugged you should see a red light on the charger. If the red light does not occur than run you hands along the cables to mark certain that there are not kinks in it . The light will turn green when the batteries are fully charged. If charging the scooter in this location right next to the desk an extension cord is not required.

Since you are not booking an accessible room you are not required to complete the Special Needs Form. However I do complete the form regardless of the cabin type booked as I use it to inform to inform the cruise line that I will be having a scooter delivered to the ship. After checking mobility scooter on the form , I than note in the additional comment section that the scooter is being delivered to the ship and by what rental company.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When having to book a standard cabin instead of an accessible cabin I do the following:

• Request that the coffee table be removed from the room. If not possible I push it between the end of the sofa and bed.
  • I have a Pride Go Go and the seat swivels by releasing a lever under the seat. I than remove the desk chair and place the scooter parallel to the desk as close as it can go. Than I use the scooter chair as the desk chair and than charge it from that position each night. Chance are you will also have a Pride GoGo as it's the most widely used scooter by both rental companies.

Tip: if you place the scooter on slow speed " Turtle" and turn the tiller as far as it can go in the direction needed before engaging in drive you will be able to do a 3 point (may 4 depending on your proficiency in operating a scooter ) to drive it forward out the cabin door rather than in reverse.

Charging the scooter : If it's a Pride Go Go there will be a black case directly beneath the seat that contains the battery. On the front of that the battery pask there will be a connection to insert the charger. The charger should be inserted into the battery pack before inserting into the electrical socket. Than the reverse should be done when disconnecting the charger. The key should be removed when charging. Once the charger is plugged you should see a red light on the charger. If the red light does not occur than run you hands along the cables to mark certain that there are not kinks in it . The light will turn green when the batteries are fully charged. If charging the scooter in this location right next to the desk an extension cord is not required.

Since you are not booking an accessible room you are not required to complete the Special Needs Form. However I do complete the form regardless of the cabin type booked as I use it to inform to inform the cruise line that I will be having a scooter delivered to the ship. After checking mobility scooter on the form , I than note in the additional comment section that the scooter is being delivered to the ship and by what rental company.

Thank you for your many replies. I have printed your information to take with me.

The balcony cabin we are in does not have the coffee table, we were just in this cabin Dec 28. The scooter company says they will deliver it to our Anchorage hotel and pick up from the cabin at the end.

I appreciate the helpful information fellow Cruise Critic passengers have passed on to me. This is a great place to ask questions and get replies by from people that have done that or been there.