Sydney BridgeClimb Adventure: Added Info, Tips, Secrets??

TLCOhio

We did the first night tour and as you can see it wasn't completely dark when we started. This was taken on the way up the bridge. Timing was perfect, we saw everything by day and night, it was completely dark on the way down. I would also recommend this for anyone with a slight fear of heights, as it got dark you couldn't look down to the water and have a feeling for how far down it was, you were able to mostly just look ahead and across. This was a fantastic adventure, a highlight of our lifetime!

IMAGE_893BF0B2-5F58-445A-990F-E63FF5ACFB0E.JPG

We did the full climb on the twilight tour. Cost more but was worth it - one of the highlights of our 3 months in Australia. You go up in daylight and you are on top when the sun is setting.

Just my opinion but if you are visiting Sydney and do not do the bridge climb, you are missing something wonderful.

DON

We did the full climb last month - it was excellent. It was a definite highlight of our trip. You don't need to be terribly fit to do the climb. The hardest part is four ladders in a row, but you can take your time - no one is in a hurry. Waiting for others gives you time to look around from various spots. While we were doing our climb, we could see other groups where some climbers sat down to rest. You can be as close to or as far from the others in your group as you like, particularly, if you're last in line, like we were. It doesn't matter where you are in the group - the photographer/guide unhooks himself and comes to you.

We found there was no need to book in advance. We had 5 days in Sydney so we waited for a nice day. I'm so glad we did, because it rained the first two days, and they go up rain or shine. I personally would not book ahead of time just for that reason. I checked on-line to see how available bookings were, and I never saw a day where they were even close to getting filled up. We didn't book ahead. We stayed in the Rocks, no too far from where the Bridge Climb starts, so we just walked in, and were able to get on the very next climb.

We had an excellent time on the climb - our guide was very nice, patient and informative. I would do it again if I went back to Sydney and had some spare cash.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi circuitrider,

Sunglasses are (like ordinary prescription glasses) able to be attached securely, so are allowed. Cameras are not allowed because they are not attached securely and could become a missile.

My guess is that sunglasses with a built-in camera would be completely acceptable.....probably best though to email and check with Bridgeclimb Co.

My cameras are always attached securely Even my P&S is attached on both ends around my neck....

But I understand the traffic and security issue.

Edited by Jade13

Has anyone ever done the night climb? It looks like the twilight tour is at approx 4:00pm, but I assume the time changes seasonly.

We would be doing the climb the same day/night we arrive in Sydney, especially if we are going to Ayers Rock the next day.

Has anyone ever done the night climb? It looks like the twilight tour is at approx 4:00pm, but I assume the time changes seasonly.

We would be doing the climb the same day/night we arrive in Sydney, especially if we are going to Ayers Rock the next day.

Our climb was considered to be a night climb, our tickets have a time on them of 4:35. It was daylight when we started but completely dark by the time we got to the top and finished. It was fantastic!

Our climb was considered to be a night climb, our tickets have a time on them of 4:35. It was daylight when we started but completely dark by the time we got to the top and finished. It was fantastic!

That sounds like the time we would want to go. Thank you for the quick response.

Edited by Jade13

And, of course, you then have to buy the pictures they take if you want any photos at all of your adventure
As I understand it, the rule would be the same even if Bridgeclimb did not take any pictures of you. It's imposed by the owner of the bridge.
Has anyone ever done the night climb?
Yes, once, plus three day climbs.

As I understand it, the rule would be the same even if Bridgeclimb did not take any pictures of you. It's imposed by the owner of the bridge.Yes, once, plus three day climbs.

Which did you prefer?

Which did you prefer?
They're very different.

If you're only going to do it once, do a classic route day climb in the mid-afternoon. If it's sunny, this should show the pretty side of the harbour (including the Opera House) in better light. However, make sure that you're fully prepared for the heat and sun.

A night climb makes it difficult to identify what it is you are seeing unless you know the city well already. The sparkly twinkly lights are very romantic, and there is drama in the lit night-time cityscape, but there'll be lots of things that you can't really see properly.

I did the original climb (about 3 1/2 hours) in November 2007. As previous posters have mentioned, you do wear a jumpsuit for the climb. I was allowed to wear my sunglasses using the strap they gave me. No camera was allowed. Yes I purchased my picture as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I did make a reservation before going there because of my limitation on time. The cost was the same but I had my preferred time. Enjoy!

They're very different.

If you're only going to do it once, do a classic route day climb in the mid-afternoon. If it's sunny, this should show the pretty side of the harbour (including the Opera House) in better light. However, make sure that you're fully prepared for the heat and sun.

A night climb makes it difficult to identify what it is you are seeing unless you know the city well already. The sparkly twinkly lights are very romantic, and there is drama in the lit night-time cityscape, but there'll be lots of things that you can't really see properly.

Thanks. Good point about seeing things when it is light out. The twilight time would work best for us since we arrive in Sydney that morning, but I am still unclear because one person said their twilight climb was dark by the time they reached the top and someone else said their night climb started at 4:30pm and it was light when they started. There is a big differance in price for 2 people. We could also go early morning on the morning we board our ship if available. That would possibly get us a photo with the ship in the background, but I am not sure that is that important.

Edited by Jade13

The twilight time would work best for us since we arrive in Sydney that morning, but I am still unclear because one person said their twilight climb was dark by the time they reached the top and someone else said their night climb started at 4:30pm and it was light when they started. There is a big differance in price for 2 people. We could also go early morning on the morning we board our ship if available. That would possibly get us a photo with the ship in the background, but I am not sure that is that important.
The twilight climb is intended to start when it's still daylight and to end when it's dark. You do spend quite a lot of time out on the bridge so there's ample time for it to go from daylight to night. The timing of the twilight climbs on any particular day will take the time of sunset into account.

Early morning can be a magical time on Sydney Harbour. However, one practical difficulty is that if you look in the direction of the ship, with the Opera House behind and the pretty side of the harbour behind that, you are likely to be looking into the sun.

The twilight climb is intended to start when it's still daylight and to end when it's dark. You do spend quite a lot of time out on the bridge so there's ample time for it to go from daylight to night. The timing of the twilight climbs on any particular day will take the time of sunset into account.

Early morning can be a magical time on Sydney Harbour. However, one practical difficulty is that if you look in the direction of the ship, with the Opera House behind and the pretty side of the harbour behind that, you are likely to be looking into the sun.

Really good point.

• 1 month later...

I have a question. When you go to book a BridgeClimb, all of the times show an hour or so window. If it says 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-4:55, is the first time the time you are suppose to arrive and the rest the time you will start by?

The Twilight times just say "Early" or "Late", so I assume still to be determined by the light.

Also, I understand the groups are limited, but do they take more than one group with a leader at each time slot (depending on interest)?

Edited by Jade13

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up booking the last day climb on the date that we wanted, and than emailed the BridgeClimb Admin to have them push it back to the last time slot on our date at 4:45pm. The Twilight climbs started at 5:00pm, so not much of a difference and $60.00 less per person for the day climb.

• 6 months later...

We just did the bridge Climb on 1/4. Yes, it is expensive but it is definitely a once in a life time experience and to say that the surface walk way or pylon view is just as good is simply not true. Breathtaking and exhilarating are two words that come to mind as you climb the arch. Safety is paramount. Everything you are asked to do, from breathalyzer to the prohibition on cameras, is for your safety or for the safety of traffic on the roadway below. They provide you with everything you need, cord to hold glasses, hankies, hair elastics etc, which clip to the back of your jumpsuit. You also get to practice going up and down a mock up of the metal ladders. Not my favorite part but a very brief part of the climb. We had a 9:35 am climb time but all the prep and instruction put us on the bridge at about 10:45. We were advised to strip down to our undies under the jumpsuit and this was good advice. You will also be given a cap (to keep) which clips to your jumpsuit and they provide sunscreen. It was a gorgeous, clear sunny morning and not too hot at that time. There are several water fountains along the climb route and a few water misters too. BTW, you are clipped to a cable with a slider the whole time :) In addition to the group photo, they also took a 7 second video clip which can be emailed to you. So, here's what you get on the "classic" bridge climb:

Safety orientation, ladder practice and all the gear you need to wear. Lockers are provided for everything you must leave behind. Climb leader provides great info and directions as you climb, via radio headsets.

Water fountains and misters en route (no toilets)

To take home- group photo, bridge climb cap, bridge climb certificate, 7 second video clip (via email).

You can buy additional photos, and they have a gift shop.

Again, not debating the expense, but it is a truly unique and incredible experience. It was worth every penny and I will never forget the exhilaration as I viewed Sydney Harbour from the summit of the arch.

I think it bears repeating for those considering the climb, as I see this question brought up frequently. Regarding cameras; even if the company running the climb did not take photos, no cameras would be allowed for safety reasons. You will get a group photo as part of the fee you pay to climb and we also got a 7 second video clip (emailed) to us. Both are wonderful keepsakes and you can purchase more photos if you wish. According to our climb leader, it took the man who owns the Bridge Climb outfit about 10 years of negotiation with the body that governs Sydney's roads and bridges, in order to come up with a safe and acceptable way to run the venture. The safety of the climbers and cars/trains on the very active roadway below comes first!

We just did the bridge Climb on 1/4. Yes, it is expensive but it is definitely a once in a life time experience and to say that the surface walk way or pylon view is just as good is simply not true. Breathtaking and exhilarating are two words that come to mind as you climb the arch. Safety is paramount. Everything you are asked to do, from breathalyzer to the prohibition on cameras, is for your safety or for the safety of traffic on the roadway below. They provide you with everything you need, cord to hold glasses, hankies, hair elastics etc, which clip to the back of your jumpsuit. You also get to practice going up and down a mock up of the metal ladders. Not my favorite part but a very brief part of the climb. We had a 9:35 am climb time but all the prep and instruction put us on the bridge at about 10:45. We were advised to strip down to our undies under the jumpsuit and this was good advice. You will also be given a cap (to keep) which clips to your jumpsuit and they provide sunscreen. It was a gorgeous, clear sunny morning and not too hot at that time. There are several water fountains along the climb route and a few water misters too. BTW, you are clipped to a cable with a slider the whole time :) In addition to the group photo, they also took a 7 second video clip which can be emailed to you. So, here's what you get on the "classic" bridge climb:

Safety orientation, ladder practice and all the gear you need to wear. Lockers are provided for everything you must leave behind. Climb leader provides great info and directions as you climb, via radio headsets.

Water fountains and misters en route (no toilets)

To take home- group photo, bridge climb cap, bridge climb certificate, 7 second video clip (via email).

You can buy additional photos, and they have a gift shop.

Again, not debating the expense, but it is a truly unique and incredible experience. It was worth every penny and I will never forget the exhilaration as I viewed Sydney Harbour from the summit of the arch.

I couldn't agree more. It's truly a case of "you get what you pay for." Everything is done to create safety for all and security for those who might be a bit frightened.

• 8 years later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they had this headline: Sydney's iconic Harbour Bridge turns 90 as the city reflects on its controversial opening, countless celebrity appearances and the world's best New Year's Eve extravaganza with these highlights:Sydney is celebrating the 90th anniversary of the unveiling of the Harbour Bridge, which has since hosted millions of cars, countless climbers, fireworks displays and a historically defining reconciliation walk.  Numerous celebrities have climbed the Coat hanger in its star-studded life-time.  Historian Ian Hoskins, who wrote an award-winning book about Sydney Harbour, told AAP the bridge soon became a focal point for Australia's place in the world as a modern nation.  'The Sydney Harbour Bridge not only became a symbol of Sydney, it became something people recognised as Australian very quickly,' he said.  'It symbolised a new modern Australia. It said, 'look what we can do, we built this astonishing bridge in only eight years'.' The architectural feat involved 40,000 tonnes of fabricated steel spanning 500 metres minus a middle support pylon.

This profile has a wide range of historic pictures about this famed landmark.  Being docked next to the bridge was nice, but the super highlight was being able to climb it during our visit and see its construction details up close and personal.  Great experience and wonderful memories!!

Full story and visuals at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10630081/Sydneys-iconic-Harbour-Bridge-turns-90-city-reflects-controversial-star-studded-life.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/