Cruising to Healthy

brooklynfc

:) Wow, I have been really busy but this has become brutal in the past couple of week. I too would like to see Brooke loss the weight she wants to lose. I have been thinking maybe we should start posting what we eat during the day, portion size and how much we drink. Brooke may not be posting everything she eats but if she sees what we eat then maybe she will have an idea of how much she is really overeating. It is just a thought, we all want to see her reach her goal.

:) Wow, I have been really busy but this has become brutal in the past couple of week. I too would like to see Brooke loss the weight she wants to lose. I have been thinking maybe we should start posting what we eat during the day, portion size and how much we drink. Brooke may not be posting everything she eats but if she sees what we eat then maybe she will have an idea of how much she is really overeating. It is just a thought, we all want to see her reach her goal.

I think this is a great idea. I will start since I'm already doing it on MFP......

Yesterday's breakfast was a banana (105cals.) publix 1oz box of raisins (90cals) and mocha lite bottle drink (100 cals.)

Lunch was Applebee's Napa chicken (grilled chicken, onions, NO mushrooms, and all broccoli, NO potatoes).......338cals

Dinner--pasta side (2 servings, made with almond milk) and crockpot italian chicken.........470cals

Snacks aka dessert (if I have any) whole fruit shorbet.....120cals

Total is 1,223

Any meals we make we measure out and then I input as 'My recipes' on MFP so it saves it and calculates it.

Workouts were 1hr walk in the AM, Day 3 of Level 1 of JM 30DS which is 20 minutes, and 1hr10min evening walk. HRM said I burned a total of 769cals.

It is sad that I put in a lot of work in the gym and then kill it with food. But if I could tell you why I do it, then I wouldn't be in this situation. Some say, "Just stop doing it." But that is just being a smart ass (not any of you). There has to be a reason for self sabotage. I'm trying though.

It is a real hard challenge not to go over my daily points b/c I have no padding in weeklys. But I think two things will happen.

1. Maybe I won't go crazy and eat all my weeklys in two days anymore

2. I'll learn to eat within my daily points better.

I'm hoping each week I will get better and better with food.

I believe that even if you aren't losing weight you are still getting benefit from the exercise.

Food for yesterday

Lunch 3 pouched eggs 210 cal 1oz chedder cheese

I was lazy for dinner got home after 10 So a 2 egg omelett w/ red bell peppers,mushrooms, green onions, with turkey bacon. not sure on the cals but pretty sure it wasn't enough for the day.

Workout 45 min of dancing with the stars. Yesterday I would have said it wasn't much of a workout. Didn't feel like I was getting much out of it.

But this morning my hips really hurt:eek:. Must have gotten more out of it than I thought.

I think this is a great idea. I will start since I'm already doing it on MFP......

Yesterday's breakfast was a banana (105cals.) publix 1oz box of raisins (90cals) and mocha lite bottle drink (100 cals.)

Lunch was Applebee's Napa chicken (grilled chicken, onions, NO mushrooms, and all broccoli, NO potatoes).......338cals

Dinner--pasta side (2 servings, made with almond milk) and crockpot italian chicken.........470cals

Snacks aka dessert (if I have any) whole fruit shorbet.....120cals

Total is 1,223

Any meals we make we measure out and then I input as 'My recipes' on MFP so it saves it and calculates it.

Workouts were 1hr walk in the AM, Day 3 of Level 1 of JM 30DS which is 20 minutes, and 1hr10min evening walk. HRM said I burned a total of 769cals.

Thats great eating. And I appreciate the effort too. Gives me ideas of things I can eat. You do have to remember though, that if I tried to eat 1200 calories a day it wouldn't work. WW has me on the equlvt. to about 2300-2500 calories a day........give or take b/c no one really knows the exact formula they use.

But again, the food choices you make are helpful.

So to make sure I undestand the program, you eat whatever the amount of points you are alotted, and it doesn't matter what the calories count is as long as you don't go over the points? if your allowed 50 points today and the calories add up to either 1500 or 2500, all that matters is that you used the points??

I feel like I get more with my WW points than I would with calories

So to make sure I undestand the program, you eat whatever the amount of points you are alotted, and it doesn't matter what the calories count is as long as you don't go over the points? if your allowed 50 points today and the calories add up to either 1500 or 2500, all that matters is that you used the points??

Right! I'm sure weight watchers has the calories figured out to where you wouldn't be going to far out of range. I only get 29 points a day which I believe is the lowest amount anyone can get. But on the points plus program your fruits and non startchy vegies are 0 points. But the points of other things like bread or pasta or meats are higher.

I am really bad about getting a Starbucks nonfat mocha (5 pts) for breakfast and having a banana with it. I'm a Starbucks addict. I try to cut it where I can with no whip and nonfat milk etc.

Anyway, if you ate fruits and veggies all day you could potentially have a whole pizza for dinner but it's up to you to know that's not healthy.

Didn't qualify? I didn't know that could happen.

I tried it just for fun to see what my points would be and I didn't "qualify" either. Said I was under their healthy weight. So I guess that is how you don't qualify.

But Brooke 2500 seems like a lot of calories. I bet if you went down to 1800, which is still a good amount, you would start to lose fast.

:)

2 cups of coffee with a splash of milk for breakfast was not hungry this morning for some reason

2 slices of ham rolled in a whole grain tortilla we were out of turkey I don't eat ham very often. This was lunch

Chicken with penne noodles and broccoli, about 2 cups total, 2 small slices of french bread. this was dinner

40 ounces of water today

no dessert today.

Well apparently this is the amount that WW says will allow me to lose weight. I believe a nurse once told me I'd have to be taking in about 3500 calories to maintain the 352 lbs.

I checked with Sparkpeople and they say if I want to lose 50lbs by Dec. 31st of this year I can eat up to 2500 calories and as low as 2000. I once manually changed my points, but I got a lot of slack:p from a few people about it.

Though, I did some reading today and I've found a LOT of people who did the old WW points plan (I only got 39 points on the old plan) and they say the new plan is not working for them at all. The formula did change. They did used to count calories in the points calculator, but now its just fat, carbs, fiber and protein.

If I can stand to double track for a week, I might see how Sparkpeople comes out starting on Sat.

I'm not going post all that I ate. It really kept me from tracking daily on my WW. I felt like I was doing double the work and it was a pain. So I chose the better place to track food.

But today our afternoon meeting go moved up b/c of the snow storm coming in and so I had to wait until 12:30 with no snack (Hadn't planned on one b/c I usually do fine if I eat by 12.) and they meeting was a lunch meeting in our dining hall. Lucky my friend was working, but she said they really had nothing being served that was healthy. So I did the best thing I could and made a salad. Just about 3 oz of ham cubes, 3 cups of leetuce (romaine), 1/4 cheese shredded, 4 grape tomatoes, 2 cucumber slices and about 2.5tbsp of ranch dressing. I tried some of the fried shrimp and rice, but it was wayyyyy salt (and that is bad b/c I love salty stuff, but I guess using low sodium soy sauce lately has changed that). So I ate about a spoonful of rice and picked out the shrimp (about 5 mini shrimp). I had a chocolate cupcake.

Had med. salmon (almond crust) baked with some bake fries. I'll probably have some special K for a small snack. Had a serving of graham crackers with 1tsp of pb and 1/4 tsp of agave nector. 50 points total with bk added in.

I have one of the two salmon left for tomr. lunch and I have a 1/2 med. baked potato ready too. Stole and apple and banana from the dining hall to have my fruits tomr.

Probably would do better if I managed to stuff my face a little more with watery fruits. I don't have a love affair with most veggies (except green beans), but I don't mind fruit at all. So if I used watery fruits that are fresh they should keep me full and they are zero points. As long as I don't way over do it. I mean I wouldn't eat bananas non stop. A few cups of grapes may not be that bad though or watermelon.

Just a couple of observations after reading for the past couple of days. Brooke, if I worked all day, there is no way I could then go work out without eating something first. I know you don't want to pack a dinner as well as lunch, but how about taking a couple of slices of lunch meat and cheese for a high protein snack before the workout? I'm thinking perhaps you are going to work out after working all day and then are coming home starving and perhaps overeating at night (which is the worse time to overeat).

Also, regarding the Starbucks coffees, Atkins has a mocha latte and cafe caramel drink that has only 5 carbs for 11 oz. They taste great and are only $5.78 for a 4-pack at Super Walmart, so also cheaper than Starbucks. I drink about 1/2 of one each morning. You can either have them iced or heat in microwave.

Also, you say you have never experienced being "thin". I know you don't think you can do the low carb, but if you did Atkins induction for 2 weeks and saw the weight you would lose, maybe that would spur you on and then you could go back to WW. I can't function if I'm hungry and to me, the great thing about low carb is that I am never really hungry. Eating the protein really keeps the hunger and carb cravings away. My DH has been been on Atkins (less than 20 carbs per day) for less than 2 months and has lost 18 lbs. It works and if you can get through the first couple of weeks, it really becomes a lifestyle thing. We have lots of low carb recipes that we love...chili without beans, chicken parmesan, steak marsala. Add a salad with Wishbone Caesar dressing (2 carbs for 2 TBSP) and a green veggie and we truly do not feel like we are missing out. I had a few bites of low carb cheesecake today from Cheesecake Factory and I was in heaven. Other times i will eat sugar free jello or have a Sparking Ice drink when I want something sweet. The thing is to find happiness with foods that do not make you fat. After wearing smaller sizes, I truly believe the saying, "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

I also keep a bag in my car with a can of almonds and a box of slim jims. That way, if I get in the car after work and suddenly realize I have to run 3 errands before I go home, I have a snack to keep me satisfied and I will not be starving when I get home.

My food today:

2 hard boiled eggs chopped up with real bacon bits and about 2 TBSP mayo.

Chai tea with 1 TSP 1/2 and 1/2

1/2 Atkins Mocha Latte Coffee Drink

3 oz. brie for mid-morning snack

1 cup homemade chicken salad: boiled chicken breast mixed with mayo, celery and splenda.

About 10 almonds (Blue Diamond Bold flavors: I like salt and vinegar and wasabi and soy sauce flavors)

1 bowl homemade chili (no beans) topped with cheddar cheese

4 bites low carb cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory

Drinks were crystal light green tea honey/lemon flavor and water

I've not done it, but it seems like a logical way to lose weight and it would take the guesswork out of calorie count, it sounds like it's a matter of choosing what you want to eat from lists of things and then just measure/weigh and make sure you don't go over. Then you could save points for special occassions, which is where the pizza in one sitting thing would come in. But I would guess common sense says the special occasions are occasions, and not regular occurances and to teach better habits.

I did the lowcarb thing last year and lost about 55 in the end but I'd gone through a medical supevised low carb program. It was disgusting because I'd been an athlete my whole life and I'd gained so much weight but mostly by eating too many "healthy" foods (grains, veggies, fruits). The program worked for me, and I truly hated low carb, but I kept the picture in my mind of my wedding dress which helped and when they took it in 6 1/2 inches it made me want to lose the last 10.

I've read the south beach diet which looks like it could be a good fit too for low carb but then learning how to add the carbs, etc back in like Pcrum did.

Right! I'm sure weight watchers has the calories figured out to where you wouldn't be going to far out of range. I only get 29 points a day which I believe is the lowest amount anyone can get. But on the points plus program your fruits and non startchy vegies are 0 points. But the points of other things like bread or pasta or meats are higher.

I am really bad about getting a Starbucks nonfat mocha (5 pts) for breakfast and having a banana with it. I'm a Starbucks addict. I try to cut it where I can with no whip and nonfat milk etc.

Anyway, if you ate fruits and veggies all day you could potentially have a whole pizza for dinner but it's up to you to know that's not healthy.

Well, I wasn't planning on a workout today, but I did a nice hour walk around campus taking pictures of the snow for the president. Not to mention the 30 mins. it took to scrap the snow and ice off my car this morning. So I'll say I got some exercise today. Which makes me feel better after missing yoga yesterday b/c my meeting go moved up and we got sent home early for the weather.

However, I'm highly concerned about my knee. Yesterday it started feeling stiff (like when you lock your knee, but it wasn't locked) and feels like it has fluid in it. I just called the chiropractor b/c he is leaving tomr for a week.......on a cruise, lol. He said its swollen and I need to ice both sides and take it easy for a few days or even a week depending on how bad I hurt it. He said that if I felt like I could do zumba or yoga then I should def. wrap it for support. So that's okay news. I'll have the whole weekend to rest it.

I got so wrapped up in trying to clean my car off and get into work at a decent hour that I forgot bk this morning. Rare that I forget food, but I did. I already had lunch here for the most part just had to bring the salmon. I stopped in our starbucks for a skinny latte and a bagel with cream cheese. Yes, I know. Don't fuss at me. My choices for a good bk around here are limited. I didn't have time for anything more elaborate. I barely got in and settled before they called me to go take pictures. So I probably ate my bagel too fast and had like 4 sips of my latte and I was out taking pictures. Came back in around 12:30 for lunch. Leaving my latte for later when the afternoon slump hits me. Its times like these that I crave sweet and soda. I'm not sure why? Out in the snow and cold, moving around. Don't know why I associate sweets/soda with that? I didn't have any though. Just 1/2 baked potato, some ICBINB spray, my salmon and an apple. I have a banana for later.

I woke up with a stiff neck too. Its weird. Its on the same side as my knee. I wonder if they are connected.....tension or something? I brought a heating pad for my neck. Hopefully, if I do that tonight it will be fine tomr. Just have to get the muscles to relax. I need to get my knee up but its my right side and its under my desk on the enclosed side.

I was disappointed greatly this morning when I saw the scale go up 1.5 lbs from wed. I hate that my weight changes so much in a week. It seems to be always a week behind. But I feel bloated again. Do you think these stomach problems (gallbaldder if my dr. is right) are having an effect on my scale?

I mean I had a fairly good week. I made it very hard on myself by not have "safety" weekly points for five out of the 7 days, but I managed very well. As far as I know, if all my counting is right, I didn't go over my daily points once in four days so far. Tonight will be the hardest I'm sure. Friday is usually a pizza night. Maybe mom will make vegge/beef soup b/c of the snow and her being off. Want count on it though.

Need to catch up on my water. The last two days have been not great about getting in my 40oz during the workday and at least another 20-30 at home.

Do you like breakfast sandwiches? Starbucks has a reduced fat turkey bacon sandwich that is pretty good and a good amount of protein to keep you full. That's what I get from time to time when I'm out for the day, but have those at home made by Jimmy Dean Delight, so if I'm headed home, I just skip it and make it at home.

Need to do my JM tonight. I upped my calories after doing a bit of research on BMR and TDEE, so I'll see if that helps me get over this plateau of not losing weight. I'm still going to do my routine and see what it does.

Edited by Mrs.C05

Brooke I was thinking a better choice would have been to eat your apple and banana for breakfast over a high cal bagel and cream cheese.

Before you eat stop and think about what you might have with you instead. The other thing I was wondering is why you didn't stop at the salad for lunch yesterday? Why the rice and cupcake? Just make the salad bigger. Very filling and way better than a cupcake. Just a thought you really need to stop and think before you eat. I know you are staying in your points But you need to train yourself in healthy eating its all part of getting healthy.

This is what I tell myself everytime I want to eat crap. I have eaten enough crap for a life time thats how I got fat. And so have you. Its never going to be about eating what your body needs. Just what it is.

Do you like breakfast sandwiches? Starbucks has a reduced fat turkey bacon sandwich that is pretty good and a good amount of protein to keep you full. That's what I get from time to time when I'm out for the day, but have those at home made by Jimmy Dean Delight, so if I'm headed home, I just skip it and make it at home.

Need to do my JM tonight. I upped my calories after doing a bit of research on BMR and TDEE, so I'll see if that helps me get over this plateau of not losing weight. I'm still going to do my routine and see what it does.

Our Starbucks doesn't have those. Its the college's franchise and is limited in what it has.

Brooke I was thinking a better choice would have been to eat your apple and banana for breakfast over a high cal bagel and cream cheese.

Before you eat stop and think about what you might have with you instead. The other thing I was wondering is why you didn't stop at the salad for lunch yesterday? Why the rice and cupcake? Just make the salad bigger. Very filling and way better than a cupcake. Just a thought you really need to stop and think before you eat. I know you are staying in your points But you need to train yourself in healthy eating its all part of getting healthy.

This is what I tell myself everytime I want to eat crap. I have eaten enough crap for a life time thats how I got fat. And so have you. Its never going to be about eating what your body needs. Just what it is.

B/c a banana or apple would have had me starving by the time I got done walking all over campus taking pictures. I haven't even had a chance to drink my latte today. I didn't have anything else with me and other options were just as bad or no available. I could have chosen the 10 other pastries that were in the case that were high in sugar and fat. But I went with what I thought was the best choice. I don't think I was wrong.

B/c I wanted the cupcake. I didn't eat but a tsp of the rice and shrimp and when I decided it didn't taste good I dumped it. I was counting all the points in my head as I made my lunch and when I saw that I had room to have a cupcake, I got one. I really wanted full fat creamery ice cream and a cookie with the cupcake, but I knew I would blow my dinner points if I did. This is what I mean when I say, you guys don't get the whole story most of the time. I walked through a lot of obstacles that lunch that could have tripped me up: Buffet style food, french fries, pasta, alfredo sauce, potato rounds, casseroles (cream), sugary cereals, nachos, ice cream, soda, creamery full fat milk............etc. I could have just at fries and pasta b/c that is what I kinda wanted. But I knew I had to stay in my 50 points for the day so I knew I had to make better decisions. And I did without feeling like I was being punished.

I think the others pointed out that if you wanted to use your points for the day to eat an entire pizza...........according WW, you can. Do they suggest/recommend you do that, NOOOOOOOO.

Maybe one day I will stop at just the salad, but for now I think I think I walked into a bad situation (having planned my lunch already, then having to change my lunch time and where and what I was eating. Plus not knowing what was being served until I got there. Where there is all of the temptations above........a fat girls dream really.) and did a super job of eating and working on the fly.

I agree with this and thought the same thing, why the cupcake?

I have now realized that although it's staying in a healthy range of calories, but also WHAT you eat. I can sit here and have "healthy" foods from McDonalds, Starbucks and other places but it's really about WHAT you put in your mouth. "You are what you eat"

I was thinking the same thing Mrs.CO5..like if she just plain wanted the cupcake, she was still physically hungry and needed it, or if she just thought "as long as I don't go over my points I can have it ", "I deserve it because whatever"..Like, would the rest of your day really be that horrible if you didn't have the cupcake? It guess we were wondering, "why cupcake, why now?" Do they have Overeater Anonymous meetings in your area? It almost sounds sometimes like your addicted to food..like your afraid something will happen if you don't use all your points everyday, if you don't eat the cupcake, if you don't eat what your mom makes and she'll be upset, etc.

I agree with this and thought the same thing, why the cupcake?

I have now realized that although it's staying in a healthy range of calories, but also WHAT you eat. I can sit here and have "healthy" foods from McDonalds, Starbucks and other places but it's really about WHAT you put in your mouth. "You are what you eat"

Edited by Gathina

B/c a banana or apple would have had me starving by the time I got done walking all over campus taking pictures. I haven't even had a chance to drink my latte today. I didn't have anything else with me and other options were just as bad or no available. I could have chosen the 10 other pastries that were in the case that were high in sugar and fat. But I went with what I thought was the best choice. I don't think I was wrong.

Just a FYI for the future a bagle and cream cheese is actually worse than a pastry. So you basically would be better off with a doughnut. Kinda funny huh?

Also, an apple is filled with fiber and a banana has energy so it would have kept you fuller and filled with engery compared to a bagel.

Brooke something you said just jump out at me. You said you made your food choices so you wouldn't feel like you were being punished.

You are not being punished for eating healthy and mike healthy food choices.

YOU are punishing yourself by making the food choices that you make.

I'm not sure why your not seeing this. Every time you make a bad food choice You are punishing yourself.

You have punished yourself your whole life!

Now its time to reward yourself with health, and being able to do things that your weight stops you from being able to do.

Leigh