SINGLEs Over 55

bobbi3

I am now a widower and love to cruise. I am not young and was worried about being old and cruising alone. I guess I can now try NCL and get a studio. Happy cruising dublell.

I am a widow and not young (58) but sure feel like it! I love cruising but would rather be with SOME singles and most of my cruising buddies are married. I am checking out the NCL ship right now!

Hi...there is a very popular travel site that offers singles cruises...they are usually at least $200-$400 more expensive than the same cruise booked as a solo. The advantage is that you are "in" with the parties and other events that the singles do.....I won't pay the extra money, just to go to a couple of parties. I have gone on 7 cruises by myself and I have no trouble meeting people. I don't like paying the extra money for the single supplement, but I do since I want to cruise. If you want to know the name of the travel site, just email me...

Kathy

I would love to know the travel site for singles. I have creeped on many sites over the last couple of years but never took the plunge. Any experience in them?

Edited by mickeyworld
spelling

CruiseCritic does not allow the posting of specific travel agencies or companies but there are two that dominate the market. If you Google "Singles Cruise" you will quickly find them. I have only done one of them so I am certainly not an expert but based on my limited experience I would advise you to try it. I was 59 when I tried it and I selected a "40's and up" cruise rather than a "Baby Boomer Cruise" and was very happy with my decision. If you are young at heart you will love it. The extra money to me was well spent as there were cocktail parties/dancing prior to most dinners (the disco was reserved for us) and our group of approximately 80 singles took over an entire section of the MDR for each dinner. After a day or two it was impossible to walk around the ship without seeing someone that you recognized and who would invite you to join them for breakfast, lunch, relaxing by the pool, etc. 95% of the group were just there to have fun and the rep from the company that sails with you is always there to handle any issues that might arise. Have a glass of wine and book it!

I am not 55 yet, close, but I have been on over 30 cruises. Being single, I travel solo. I have met a few people from the singles group on cruises, to me it is not worth the extra $200 + bucks to be with the group. You can have all the fun and make friends, the ship is yours for the duration of the cruise.:)

I am going on the NCL Jewel in November 2013 and I was wondering if I do the thing where you sign up for another cruise while on the ship if that applies to the studio rooms on the epic. would love to curise single and would like to try out the studio rooms on Epic thought I could pre deposit on future cruise if it applied to those as well.. thanks

I am a widow and not young (58) but sure feel like it! I love cruising but would rather be with SOME singles and most of my cruising buddies are married. I am checking out the NCL ship right now!

You need to look into Epic, Read the reviews on the Studio Cabins. I like the fact that they have a white board and you can sign up for dinners with other singles. I think that is what kept me from booking a cruise alone at first. I just would not feel right sitting at a table alone eating dinner. Give it a look. Carolina also.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on 6 singles cruises. I go just to meet people not to find the love of my life. I have met many people of different ages and still am in contact with them on the internet and enjoy seeing them again on another cruise. If you want your dad to find a woman on one it can happen but don't expect it to. I have went with the roommate matching and have had lots of great roommates and a coupe bad. You don't have to go to the singles functions if you don't want. I found it harder to meet singles on a regular cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been on 6 singles cruises. I go just to meet people not to find the love of my life. I have met many people of different ages and still am in contact with them on the internet and enjoy seeing them again on another cruise. If you want your dad to find a woman on one it can happen but don't expect it to. I have went with the roommate matching and have had lots of great roommates and a coupe bad. You don't have to go to the singles functions if you don't want. I found it harder to meet singles on a regular cruise.

hello,

Your name brings memories. me, I am 57 , single, not by my choice. My "Navy Sailor" was supposedly divorced. when he got caught, he dumped me by sending a text. yep, spent 23 years in the Navy, retired as a Senior Chief, and left our relationship with a text after telling me I was his forever, and would be spending the rest of our lives together. I am not picking on you, sorry if it comes across that way. I have considered single, or solo cruises. Lucky for me, some friends are going with me. Yep, I am 57 and have no desire to be with someone older than me. I know, that is stupid, but I am only attracted to those a little younger. Maybe someday i will do the single cruise... I am sure it will happen as nothing else is happening in my life to make it any different...

hello,

Your name brings memories. me, I am 57 , single, not by my choice. My "Navy Sailor" was supposedly divorced. when he got caught, he dumped me by sending a text. yep, spent 23 years in the Navy, retired as a Senior Chief, and left our relationship with a text after telling me I was his forever, and would be spending the rest of our lives together. I am not picking on you, sorry if it comes across that way. I have considered single, or solo cruises. Lucky for me, some friends are going with me. Yep, I am 57 and have no desire to be with someone older than me. I know, that is stupid, but I am only attracted to those a little younger. Maybe someday i will do the single cruise... I am sure it will happen as nothing else is happening in my life to make it any different...

No that isn't me I only served 6 yrs. would not use a text to break up. I hope you like the cruise whether it is a singles or solo. If you have friends going you will a great time I am sure. I am sorry you had to go though that with a sailor but go out and make some good ones. Have fun.

I'm not over 55....yet....but my kids are grown, out on their own, and I'm single.

The 3 cruises I've taken were with a hosted singles group. As a woman alone, I don't mind doing some things by myself, and I do enjoy my own company. However, I don't like having dinner by myself. I figured cruising with a singles group would take care of that issue, and I was right.

They give you a list of group activities; dance lessons, trivia games, ping pong, whatever. You can join in or not, as you choose. There are usually 2 or 3 mixers with an open bar. Again, you can join in, or not. There's a choice of doing a few excursions with the group, but they can be limited. Tables for the group were reserved in the MDR. You can sit at any table that has an open seat.

Don't expect to find your soul mate on a cruise. It probably won't happen! If you're looking for a little something-something for the night, or the week, you probably will find that! (Just commenting on what I saw on my various trips....:rolleyes:)

I wouldn't spend the extra money for the singles group if I wouldn't take advantage of some group activities. If you're content to spend your trip by yourself, save your money and book it solo.

No that isn't me I only served 6 yrs. would not use a text to break up. I hope you like the cruise whether it is a singles or solo. If you have friends going you will a great time I am sure. I am sorry you had to go though that with a sailor but go out and make some good ones. Have fun.

Thanks.... I have been on many cruises and loved them all. I have been on 3 cruises since the breakup and it is just different without that special someone. My daughter (adult) has been cruising with me since, but she is pregnant now and living with her so, baby is due next month.

I went on a cruise with my sailor and it was the best of all 24 I have been on. Seeing him in his dress whites, with all his medals, he walked proudly, and I was proud to walk with him. Everyone thought he was such a great guy.. oh well... anyway.. thank you.

Edited by cruzn buckeye

Don't expect to find your soul mate on a cruise. It probably won't happen! If you're looking for a little something-something for the night, or the week, you probably will find that! (Just commenting on what I saw on my various trips....:rolleyes:)

Now that's funny! I don't expect to find my soul mate but maybe someday, if I ever get past this jerk, I will meet someone who shares my love of the ocean.

What you said reminded me of Harrison Ford in one of my favorite movies, 6 days and 7 nights. For those who have seen the movie... remember this/

"it's an island baby, if you don't bring it with you, you're not gonna find it here!" :D

I know there are 55+ cruises and there are single cruises, but are there any single over 55 cruises? I want to get my dad on one.

Hi, I'm 55 yrs. old, cruised a few times, but this will be my first solo cruise looking forward to it.

FYI, Norwegian Breakaway leaving from NYC also has studio cabins. Maybe that's a way to go.

I'm booked for August.

Good Luck

Margie

I woukld like to know the best single cruise site to check out. I am leary about booking NOT with the cruise company itself, so any help would be appreciated. thanks:)

I don't know if this is allowed but if not they will cut it out. I have booked with Vacations to Go and Singlescruises.com both were very good had a great time made a lot of new friends.

hello,

Hi Buckeye,

I love that you like the younger generation as opposed to those in our "age" group. Growing up it was older guys. Now that I'm older, I prefer what prefers me-the "young'uns" icon11.gif. It is not stupid for you to feel as you do. It's just a different flavor now that we know who we really are. I have never done a singles or solo cruise, but I will. Looking forward to it. I wish as much for you.

Peachie

• 3 weeks later...
I would love to know the travel site for singles. I have creeped on many sites over the last couple of years but never took the plunge. Any experience in them?

Sorry just now seeing this....yes I realize it's been since March (I have been on 4 cruises since then).

Just google single cruises and it should come up with the names or feel free to email me at kathytimlin@hotmail.com

As far as any experience......no....I have never booked thu them because for me to attend a couple of cocktail parties it isn't worth the extra in the price of the cabins. I have been on a ship where the singles cruise was on and was not impressed with what I saw and glad I had not spent the extra money

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 69 and male. I have booked with the cruise company directly, and with travel agents, and on an independent web-site. It really does not seem to make much difference.

I cruised over 120 days last year solo on 9 different cruises. (that was too much!) But I wanted to test if I could take an around the world cruise - I decided I couldn't. I start climbing the walls at about day 35 and I'm not talking about being on Royal Caribbean.

So this winter, in February, I'll be flying down to Australia and cruising down there for a month or so.

My one recommendation for solo travelers is to choose a ship with set dining times and choose a big table. Odds are better you'll meet some interesting people. Also take a few excursions near the front end of your cruise, you'll be surprised how often you'll bump into some of those fellow excursion takers again.

Some ships do have solo cabins e.g. about half of the Costa fleet have a half dozen to a dozen single cabins and charge about $150% the double occupancy price. Holland America does also. I'm on Carnival Sunshine Oct 20-Nov 1 - Nov 17,(back-to-backs) and as a newly-remodeled ship last year they were discounting solo travelers to about 150%.

That often happens on new ships if you book over a year in advance. I did not plan very well this time, because rather than ending up in New Orleans and staying in the states for Christmas, I saw a cruise on Costa Fortuna, which has single cabins, to Dubai in December, so I booked that after the Carnival cruise. I was last in Dubai in Summer last year and it was too hot, so I jumped at this December chance. Happy solo sailing.

Thanks so much for this wonderful review from a seasoned solo traveler. Dubai sounds like it might be a fun place to visit. Good to know when's a good time to go there. These reviews help make our plans easier. Wonderful solo sailing to all of us that sees this as an adventure.

I'm going to book a cruise for mid Nov to Bahamas, Nov 9 on Carnival from New York. Is there anyone else booked on that cruise so that I can have friends before the cruise. :)

I am on the Carnival Splendor on Jan. 4th. Check the Roll Call for that ship and see if anyone has started thread for Nov. 9th. If not, you can start one yourself.