Carnival Fantasy Review & Pics/ June 5th, 2010 Sailing

Nancy, thank you so much for writing an amazing review! I greatly enjoyed reading this, and it just makes me even more excited about our upcoming cruise. I just loved seeing how much fun you and Andrew had. :D

I did have a hotel question, if you don't mind. We're doing a park and cruise deal at the Radisson in North Charleston, off of Rivers Ave. Even though I remember reading on the boards about how some areas of North Charleston were a little sketchy, I wasn't as concerned about that when I booked this room, but now I wonder if I should be concerned. I thought it was a really good deal for everything it included, but honestly, my main reason for wanting to stay in that area was because I found out there was a Carrabba's in North Charleston! :o DH and I used to love going to Carrabba's here, but we haven't been in a long time because it's just too stressful with a baby and toddler in tow, LOL. So I wanted to make the best of our time alone. I just wanted to know if you knew anything about the safety of this area - thanks!

Thank you! After doing this review and seeing the interest, I may actually start a blog. Who knows... :o

I personally would not stay at the Radisson. That area of Rivers Ave. is really sketchy. Just out of curiosity I checked on the trip advisor site and it said 56% of travellers would NOT recommend. Personally, I would stay away from anything in North Charleston. I just read through the trip advisor reviews and it reflects pretty much what I know about the area.

Carrabba's...we were just talking about that the other day and how much we would like to try it out.

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of - I should have known the deal was too good to not have a catch! Back to the drawing board. It was hard finding a hotel that would allow you to park your car at the hotel and provide you with shuttle service to and from the port, that was not too expensive. I looked up hotel info on the Charleston Visitor's Bureau website, because they had a specific section for hotels offering park and cruise packages, so I guess I'll go through those again. I'll also may just end up calling some hotels to find out if they have an unadvertised park and cruise deal, like you suggested. Thanks for the info!

Well this is embarrassing. :o I just found a Hampton Inn Charleston/West Ashley that offers exactly what I wanted, at the very top of the page on the website, for around the same price. I'm almost positive that one wasn't listed on this site when I looked about 2 months ago, so I don't feel too bad, LOL. Didn't you say you lived in the West Ashley area? This place has good reviews on Tripadvisor, so I might try this one instead.

Well this is embarrassing. :o I just found a Hampton Inn Charleston/West Ashley that offers exactly what I wanted, at the very top of the page on the website, for around the same price. I'm almost positive that one wasn't listed on this site when I looked about 2 months ago, so I don't feel too bad, LOL. Didn't you say you lived in the West Ashley area? This place has good reviews on Tripadvisor, so I might try this one instead.

I do live in the West Ashley area That is a great hotel and right next door to one of our favorite sushi/hibachi restaurants. You would also be close to the mall and about 10 minutes to downtown/port. Let me know if you want me to stop by and check it out. My gym is in the mall that is close by and I am headed there tonight and the rest of the week.

Ah, you don't have to do that, but I appreciate the offer - thanks. :) Just what you told me is good enough info, and everything I've just read about it makes it sound like a really nice hotel. Plus, if we didn't go to Carrabba's, the other place I'd want to go to that we haven't visited in a while would be a good hibachi place! It all sounds good. Being a bit away from downtown is fine for us, since we won't be checking out the downtown area this trip. We'll be dropping off our girls at the in-laws (Gaffney) that morning/afternoon and probably won't be in Charleston until around 5 or 6, so we just need a good place to eat and rest. :D

Hi Minerva 78: I am sailing on the Fantasy on 8/14 and we booked a room at this hotel....I booked it a while ago and got a great rate of $90.00 for the night; but didn't know about the whole parking offer at the time....So I went to check out rates for that night for that package and they were $197.00!!! Parking for our 7 day at the port is $105.00, so really not a deal for me...make sure you check prices without that package, it may end up being less expensive (or the same) to just book a normal rate and park at the port.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks for your great review and all the wonderful pictures. I'm going to be on the Fantasy in October, I've sailed her once before out of NOLA and was happy it was her sailing out of Charleston.

I might have missed it but did you mention what cabin you were in? I have a porthole cabin and am getting very excited about it. I can't believe we get outside light for the price of an inside cabin.

so when will you cruise next? we are cruising the week of Thanksgiving...I think you & Andrew should go with us! What an absolutely great review! I probably enjoyed your cruise almost as much as you did.

So, you live in W. Ashley? My son lives there too. Do you & Andrew ever go to The Mill or the Tatooed Moose?

Thanks for your great review and all the wonderful pictures. I'm going to be on the Fantasy in October, I've sailed her once before out of NOLA and was happy it was her sailing out of Charleston.

I might have missed it but did you mention what cabin you were in? I have a porthole cabin and am getting very excited about it. I can't believe we get outside light for the price of an inside cabin.

We were in U15. You could feel a little movement up there but we really didnt spend much time in our room except to make cocktails/change/shower and sleep. The walls were a bit thin though.

so when will you cruise next? we are cruising the week of Thanksgiving...I think you & Andrew should go with us! What an absolutely great review! I probably enjoyed your cruise almost as much as you did.

So, you live in W. Ashley? My son lives there too. Do you & Andrew ever go to The Mill or the Tatooed Moose?

We sadly probably wont get to cruise again until next fall if my tax return is decent. The Andrew still hasnt landed a job and we are dirt poor at the moment. When are you guys going to cruise next? I am happy you enjoyed the review.

I live in West Ashley part time and out with Andrew in the Meggett area the other part. We dont really get out too much but our favorite hang outs is usually RPub. Inexpensive and everybody knows our name. (sing that last line like the theme song from Cheers)

Edit: Duh...you said Thanksgiving. I swear I can read.

Edited by All4fun&fun4all
duh moment

Well, maybe we will catch you next fall on your cruise. I would love to have you with us so you could help me remember what we did ( can't decide whether it is "old-timers" or something they serve on those ships..lol). Thanks again for the great review!

Roni

Loved Loved Loved your review! Your writing skills are great!

We leave in September on the Valor, and I am so stoked about it. We normally do 2 cruises a year, and last year we got in 3, but this year just one. I am doing other non cruise traveling, and it just didn't leave enough time to do two this year.

Your pictures and documentation of how you cruise remind me of when I cruise. I smoke, so I am monitoring the smoking areas. We make cocktails in the room, etc etc. It just seems that when reading your review, it reminded me of my own way of cruising!

Cheers, and hope to see you two on a future cruise sometime!

Well, maybe we will catch you next fall on your cruise. I would love to have you with us so you could help me remember what we did ( can't decide whether it is "old-timers" or something they serve on those ships..lol). Thanks again for the great review!

Roni

Sweet! To be honest I kept a quasi journal at the end of the evening with full intentions of keeping one every night. Well, that didnt work out so well. When we got back home I had the first two days and nights and that was it. I had to cross reference the Fun Times and the order of my pictures and picked Andrew's brain to come up with the complete story.

I did end up remembering one thing that was annoying just the other day while I was reading someone else's review that I forgot to add. The scavenger hunt that the kids were doing practically every day (or at least it seemed like it). They would approach the lido bar looking for an employee with a specific nationality. I know the kids are playing a game with time restraints but they all seemed so rude. They would come up to the bar and ask the bartenders "Are you Croatian, Are you from...". Then they would rush off when they found out that they werent. :rolleyes:

Loved Loved Loved your review! Your writing skills are great!

We leave in September on the Valor, and I am so stoked about it. We normally do 2 cruises a year, and last year we got in 3, but this year just one. I am doing other non cruise traveling, and it just didn't leave enough time to do two this year.

Your pictures and documentation of how you cruise remind me of when I cruise. I smoke, so I am monitoring the smoking areas. We make cocktails in the room, etc etc. It just seems that when reading your review, it reminded me of my own way of cruising!

Cheers, and hope to see you two on a future cruise sometime!

The smoking threads on here are what kept me in check. Did NOT want to offend anyone. I kept reminding Andrew that we didnt want to end up in someone's review blasting Carnival for their smokers. :rolleyes:

Even with the room rum :) we still spent a total of $600.00 at the bars and such so I dont feel too bad about the room rum. :o

I am looking at the Bermuda sailings as we speak. So, it looks like next tax season I will be booking again!:D

What great info. Hubby and I will be going on the Fantasy in Sept. I will also be one of the people taking pics of the food....LOl dont really care what my table mates will think of me. Hubby has some pretty weird tats so we are used to getting "crazy" looks. haha

P.S. Keep up the awsome review, cant wait to see more : )

Edited by amillard222
add more

What great info. Hubby and I will be going on the Fantasy in Sept. I will also be one of the people taking pics of the food....LOl dont really care what my table mates will think of me. Hubby has some pretty weird tats so we are used to getting "crazy" looks. haha

P.S. Keep up the awsome review, cant wait to see more : )

Thank you! It was a lot of fun to write. It took almost a week to get everything straight and in order but all the positive comments have made it so worthwhile!

We always get crazy looks pretty much everywhere we go. The Andrew has a ton of tats and he is pretty much "on 10" most of the time. I constantly have to remind him about his "filter" needing to be put back in place. :p

And Finally...PACKING!

I am, and always have been, a list maker. I make lists for everything. Looking at my desk now I can see probably about 10 lists. (I need to get to work!) This cruise was no exception to my list affliction. I had a packing list for clothing, toiletries, money and miscellaneous. I then had another list of randoms. Whenever we travel I am the girl that will listen to you complain that we shouldve brought so and so and I will pull it out of the suitcase. I have it down to a science now that it has been our 3rd cruise.

Here are a few tips/hints that I found useful (this is mainly for the ladies. Since I aspire to one day be a lady, I am lumping myself in that catagory)

Clothing

• Bring two bathing suits. It is always crappy to have to put on a wet bathing suit.
  • Wear cover-ups while roaming the ship and hanging out at lido. I brought 4 and only wore 3.
  • Only bring a few dresses for dinner. Who cares if they saw it on you the first night?
  • I brought way too many shoes. Only needed 1 pr of heels, one pair of flip flops. That was all!
  • Bring some comfy clothes (I brought yoga pants) for roaming the ship at night.

Toiletries

• Dont forget your conditioner. You will need it!
  • Bring enough sunscreen...we brought SPF 50 because the sun is so intense in the Caribbean. We never burned. Hardly even tanned.
  • Chapstick. The Andrew actually needed chapstick several times a day so I was glad I brought mine
  • Feminine hygiene products. No need on my end (luckily) but I have heard that if you buy onboard they are expensive. Better safe than sorry I say.

Misc

• Bring a watch. It was awful having to bring our cell phones with us and shut them on for a second and then off again. I actually had "watch" on my list but totally flaked
  • I did not bring a purse. I just didnt see how I would enjoy myself tethered to a thing and having someone watch it while I ran to the ladies room. Invest in a cool little wallet that will hold your s&s card Id and some cash. That worked well.
  • If you have a camera that has a rechargeable battery...dont forget your charger! I would have been devastated if my battery had died.
  • A flashlight for running to the bathroom at night so as not to disturb the bear sleeping beside you.
  • Get a little file folder thingy to hold your important docs (E-docs, Birth Certificate etc) so that you can have them ready when they are asked for. Remember to put this in your CARRY ON!!!
  • Ginger root tablets are awesome. We took ours everyday and probably didnt need to but didnt want to chance it.
  • I brought earplugs since I heard so much about noise in forward cabins. I used them only one night. Usually Andrew's snoring doesnt bother me but this one night...
  • If youre bringing wine...dont forget the wine tool
  • Post its for your steward or to leave notes for other people in your party.
  • A journal for notes so you can write a review later!
  • Downy Wrinkle release. It came in handy for so many different reasons.
  • Battery operated candle. Kept room fresh and romantical!

Things I didnt need that I brought

• Highlighter
  • Clothes pins for shower curtain (it didnt attack me)
  • Hand sanitizer (there was plenty all over the place)
  • Book (never got time to read but thats just me)
  • Light jacket (never got cold)
  • Nail polish
  • Bubba Kegs (not this time, but now that I know about that Guava juice...)

Best advice I have heard regarding packing on these boards is simply this. Pack your suitcase and then take out half. I attempted this and took out a fair amount and then threw in something else, then took it out. I am a pretty light packer though. All our clothes together fit in the one big suitcase.

Ok, my friends, that is all I have today. I am going to get someone to help me with the Fun Times tomorrow. Hope this helps some of you.

I love your review! My DH and I are going on the Fantasy in December. Were you able to upload the Fun Times? I'm anxious to see what activities are available. Thanks again!

I love your review! My DH and I are going on the Fantasy in December. Were you able to upload the Fun Times? I'm anxious to see what activities are available. Thanks again!

I didnt get around to uploading the Fun Times but I have them with me. I am just a slacker. :o

Let me see if I can do it today. I was kinda waiting to see if anyone had an interest in seeing them. Glad to see that someone does! :) Other than the guy that already sailed on July 2nd. LOL. Sorry fella!

Glad people are still enjoying my review! :D