Cysters at Sea: PCOS Weight Loss Support, Tricks, and Tips.

Intro: PCOS is an endocrine disorder with symptoms including weight gain, acne, excess body hair and irregular or absent periods.

My background: I first started to see articles on PCOS in 2001. Three things in the profile popped out at me: Irregular menses, weight gain, and hirsuitism (excess hair, usually on the face). My PCP discounted my concerns because my labs weren't definitive. When I asked for an ultrasound, she said it would be a lot of work to get my insurance to pay for it, and I didn't really need one.

I ended up moving back "home" and returning to my old PCP. I asked for a referral to a Reproductive Endocrinologist. When he asked me why, I began explaining PCOS to him. I was about halfway through my symptoms when he stopped me and had his PA write the referral.

When I went to the RE, I began explaining my symptoms to him. I wanted to show him my "beard" but it had gotten too itchy and I shaved it a day previous. He listened carefully, and then confirmed that yes, I did have PCOS. I asked him if I needed an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis. He said "No, you have it". I explained to him that my last Dr didn't think so. He said "Look, you have the hirsuitism, you have the abdomen fat, you have the amenorrhea, you have the weight gain... PCOS is a syndrome. It has many symptoms, but you don't have to have all of them to have the syndrome". I told him that I wanted an ultrasound, and he said okay, but he didn't think I needed it.

Thank god, he agreed to the ultrasound. He already planned to give me Lupron, which is designed to stop all androgen (sex hormone) production, for 3 months. But the ultrasound revealed a tennis-ball sized cyst in my left ovary. After being treated with Lupron, (for just one month) the cyst remained, and that meant he needed to remove it. Laproscopic surgery saved 2/3 of my left ovary from being destroyed by the tennis-ball cyst.

With many rounds of fertility treatment, I have two beautiful daughters. The recommendation for treatment remains as it was then: Weight loss, insulin sensitizing agents (glucophage/metformin), and possibly ovarian dormancy (via "the pill", "the patch" or "the ring") to preserve fertility.

I have been on various forms of metformin off and on. For me XR/ER works better than plain. Plain is cheaper, but very hard on the stomach. I can not do any form of hormonal birth control, something about the synthetic hormones makes me very emotionally unsettled. If I don't have my cycle every 3 months-ish, my GYN wants me to induce it. To do that I use a med called "Prometrium" which is a bioidentical form of progesterone synthesized from wild yams.

I am back on weight watchers for the first time in years. I tend to try to stay protein heavy/carb light and ignore my cravings. Carbs tend to send me into what I call the "blood sugar death spiral". Low blood sugar > eat carbs > Blood sugar spike > too much insulin triggered > blood sugar crash > crave carbs!

We're eight weeks into a ten week session of WW at work, and hoping for another round. I'm down 11 lbs and hoping to get to 16 by my cruise date of 5/31. I know, I am being optomistic.

So that's me, Jeannie. Any other "Cysters"?

Intro: PCOS is an endocrine disorder with symptoms including weight gain, acne, excess body hair and irregular or absent periods.

My background: I first started to see articles on PCOS in 2001. Three things in the profile popped out at me: Irregular menses, weight gain, and hirsuitism (excess hair, usually on the face). My PCP discounted my concerns because my labs weren't definitive. When I asked for an ultrasound, she said it would be a lot of work to get my insurance to pay for it, and I didn't really need one.

I ended up moving back "home" and returning to my old PCP. I asked for a referral to a Reproductive Endocrinologist. When he asked me why, I began explaining PCOS to him. I was about halfway through my symptoms when he stopped me and had his PA write the referral.

When I went to the RE, I began explaining my symptoms to him. I wanted to show him my "beard" but it had gotten too itchy and I shaved it a day previous. He listened carefully, and then confirmed that yes, I did have PCOS. I asked him if I needed an ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis. He said "No, you have it". I explained to him that my last Dr didn't think so. He said "Look, you have the hirsuitism, you have the abdomen fat, you have the amenorrhea, you have the weight gain... PCOS is a syndrome. It has many symptoms, but you don't have to have all of them to have the syndrome". I told him that I wanted an ultrasound, and he said okay, but he didn't think I needed it.

Thank god, he agreed to the ultrasound. He already planned to give me Lupron, which is designed to stop all androgen (sex hormone) production, for 3 months. But the ultrasound revealed a tennis-ball sized cyst in my left ovary. After being treated with Lupron, (for just one month) the cyst remained, and that meant he needed to remove it. Laproscopic surgery saved 2/3 of my left ovary from being destroyed by the tennis-ball cyst.

With many rounds of fertility treatment, I have two beautiful daughters. The recommendation for treatment remains as it was then: Weight loss, insulin sensitizing agents (glucophage/metformin), and possibly ovarian dormancy (via "the pill", "the patch" or "the ring") to preserve fertility.

I have been on various forms of metformin off and on. For me XR/ER works better than plain. Plain is cheaper, but very hard on the stomach. I can not do any form of hormonal birth control, something about the synthetic hormones makes me very emotionally unsettled. If I don't have my cycle every 3 months-ish, my GYN wants me to induce it. To do that I use a med called "Prometrium" which is a bioidentical form of progesterone synthesized from wild yams.

I am back on weight watchers for the first time in years. I tend to try to stay protein heavy/carb light and ignore my cravings. Carbs tend to send me into what I call the "blood sugar death spiral". Low blood sugar > eat carbs > Blood sugar spike > too much insulin triggered > blood sugar crash > crave carbs!

We're eight weeks into a ten week session of WW at work, and hoping for another round. I'm down 11 lbs and hoping to get to 16 by my cruise date of 5/31. I know, I am being optomistic.

First off, congrats on the weight loss up to this point. It is always a great step in the right direction.

My wife was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 so I know some of the struggles that you have been facing. I also understand that it is harder for you to lose then if you did not have PCOS. In October my wife and I started our own weight loss journey. She weighed in at 425 pounds me at 330 pounds. We found our own way but in that time we have lost 230 pounds (113 of which my wife has lost) together simply through diet. We tried so so so many other things before this. My wife had been on metformin and a host of other infertility tryings.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is keep working for what you want most in your life. Set your goals and work each day to achieve them. If there are set backs one day the next day approached it like you can achieve. The more you keep focused on the things that you are working for and the less you places the negatives in front of you the better you will achieve. The very best of luck to you in the next 30 days until your cruise.

I have PCOS too, but mine is a "side effect" of the hypothyroidism (Hashimotos - extremely hereditary in the females in my family), and the treatment for PCOS is Metformin or Glucophage which is also an oral diabetes medication. So, because hypothyroidism can or often leads to high cholesterol, heart disease, type II diabetes, as well as the irregular and heavy menses, secondary infertility, weight gain, my endocrinologist put me on Metformin for the PCOS but said that it could help "prevent" or at the very least delay the onset of insulin resistance or type II diabetes - that's a plus. So far, through diet and exercise and taking 2000 mg of Metformin ER every day, I've managed to avoid both, but when the whole hormone flip flop occurred indicating the PCOS, I had no control over that. There is a ratio of I think estrogen and testosterone where estrogen is on the top and testosterone on the bottom. They watch these levels and their ratio very closely and once the levels change to the point that the ratio flips and testosterone is on the top, that is a clear indicator of PCOS. That being said, If I lose the 40 lbs. I'd like to lose, it *could* reverse the PCOS. Having said all of that, if you haven't been tested for hypothyroidism (which would be highly unusual if you are already seeing an endocrinologist), then I would suggest getting your thyroid panel done, at the very least a TSH test done. :)

I am extremely involved with my healthcare status and get my thyroid tested at least annually, mostly because I'm anemic and therefore constantly exhausted.

I have done metformin on and off, but usually the side -effects make me stop taking it. I'm going to try it again now that my eating is more regimented. The last form I tried is called "fortamet ". And it's a different delivery system. My biggest weight loss obstacle, beside PCOS itself, is my tendency to not eat until the end of the day. Part of the reason I'm on weight watchers is that the tracking forces me to recognize when I'm not eating.

I am extremely involved with my healthcare status and get my thyroid tested at least annually, mostly because I'm anemic and therefore constantly exhausted.

I have done metformin on and off, but usually the side -effects make me stop taking it. I'm going to try it again now that my eating is more regimented. The last form I tried is called "fortamet ". And it's a different delivery system. My biggest weight loss obstacle, beside PCOS itself, is my tendency to not eat until the end of the day. Part of the reason I'm on weight watchers is that the tracking forces me to recognize when I'm not eating.

I love WW. I did it in person with meetings about 19 years ago, lost 35 lbs. in 6 months, got in the best shape of my life. Then 11 years later the thyroid thing happened and my metabolism tanked. I did WW online a year ago and lost 10 lbs. but then quit to do the free MyFitnessPal.com... which I don't stick with like I did with WW. I just hate to pay for that stuff. It does work though. I have found the rule of thumb is weight training, gaining muscle works better for losing weight than overloading on cardio. With the Metformin, I have to take them one at a time spread out about 3-4 hours apart, even the ER ones otherwise I get the "gastric upset"... And yes, the lower carb diet seems to work better as well for PCOS people. I eat TONS of raw veggies and a serving or two of raw fresh fruit every day, and with carbs I stick to the whole grain, high fiber varieties and stay away from the "white stuff"... sounds like you are on the right track!

I, too have PCOS and am currently doing WW. I have been on WW since 1/9 of this year and so far have lost 30 lbs. I'm really happy with my weightloss but sometimes it's frustrating that my body doesn't cooperate as much as I would like it to. I just have to keep at it.

I have a feeling I will have to go back to WW Online after this cruise because it really is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. The points program just makes more sense to me than anything else. Until then I'm continuing to exercise and incorporate a lot of weight training into the mix just to avoid losing muscle at my age. Oddly, or maybe thankfully, my husband and I didn't gain ANY weight on our cruise last May to the Western Caribbean. We ate like we normally would, drank a lot more than we normally would, but we were much more active than we normally are behind our desks at work all day. Activity does make a difference.

LOVE the title of your thread! I gained 10 lbs on 8 day cruise due to water weight! My normally shapely calves looked like sausages! Will not go on another vacation without medical stockings and cherry extract pills and RX water pills! My skin was ripping on my feet!

I was told by my dr. that if I drop the 20 lbs I gained when I quit smoking, that my pre-diabetes, and high blood pressure would disapear - as they were 2 years ago -- now I take a teeny dose of thyroid med and high blood pressure med --- Read the book on insulin resistance -- and

I cannot believe she is not connecting this stuff to me turning 50 and having PCOS for 35 years. It's progressive , causes heart disease...... I really dread getting off the pill -for a baseline --- I LOVE having a cycle every 3-4 months.

I go back and forth - do I wanna eat whatever and excercise 2 hrs a day..... I have the time -- love to do my dance DVDs -- OR excercise normal and go back on ww - with a hint of medateranian healthy mmmm dishes thrown in.

Next cruise not till JAN..... but Jamaica in July -- gotta do something now!

Sorry to ramble it's late - and I'm glad my daughter is getting educated on her PCOS way earlier than I did! It feels so isolating sometimes - and misunderstood.

and I'm glad my daughter is getting educated on her PCOS way earlier than I did! It feels so isolating sometimes - and misunderstood.

I know I am going to be hypervigilant with my daughters. A friend of mine was diagnosed about 10 years before me. Her GYN basically said "You have PCOS, you will never conceive naturally, here's a pack of pills". So, she gave up the idea of having children and became a "Career Woman". My heart aches for how different her life may have been if we knew more about this disease earlier.

I find that my body works best when I eat like I am diabetic. Small frequent meals, protein heavy, carb light. My first RE actually recommended I start my day with a "small steak, 4 ounces", and make breakfast the biggest meal of the day. I haven't gotten to the point where I can do that just yet. Breakfast food is for breakfast (or lunch or dinner), but Dinner food is never for breakfast!

I was so pleased to see this thread!:D I'm amazed how many ppl still don't know what PCOS is. Congratulations on the weightloss! It's not an easy road, but it does feel great! We just came back from a 7 day and I was so worried that I would mess up the weightloss I had accomplished, but I think with all the walking etc, it balances out unless you reaaallly eat poorly.

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I had almost every symptom in the book (irregular, androgen issues, skin issues weight and on it goes). I saw 2 or 3 doctors who said nothing was wrong even though I had gone 9 months without a cycle (I was 30-32 yo) and I weighed almost 40 lbs more than I did the day I gave birth to twins. I think one of the reasons they didn't consider PCOS (if they even knew what it was) may have been because I had kids...but I had my kids very young, before all the symptoms really started and I had a couple of miscarriages along the way, but they didnt consider that.

My 1st appt with my current GYN, he asked "why I came to see him" and when I explained my symptoms, he said we needed to confirm with labs and U/S but he was sure it was PCOS. We did an U/S in the office and I had so many cysts you couldn't see my ovaries. He induced my cycle and started me on a birthcontrol pill to regulate everything as well as Aldactone to help with the androgen issues. I also do Welbutrin, which was prescribed off lable to help with PMS migraines but also helps with mood swings. Last year we added Synthroid for hypothyroid. He says he wants to save Metformin as a last resort, and from what I hear about the stomach issues, I am good with that.

In Jan this year, I started the South Beach Diet...I lost 22 lbs in about 6 weeks. I have kept that off so far. I want to do another 20 and I will be happy. It seems as soon as I start adding the carbs (healthy ones - whole grain & veggies) back in, my weight loss stops, so I am going back to limited bread and no potatoes for a bit and see what happens and I need to get back in the gym :o

I look forward to seeing more posts! and good luck to everyone that's on the "getting healthy" journey!:D

I had been told in 1974 that I had PCOS. I made an appointment with my gyn because I did not have a period for about five months. Then I overslept and missed the appointment. Then, by the time I was able to see him, it had been seven months! I knew I wasn't pregnant, but figured something was wrong and should find out why my periods were so far apart. I always had irregular cycles since I started having them at 13. They were spaced from six weeks to three months for most of my teen years. I rarely had cramps and found out later it was because I wasn't ovulating. My gyn put me on a medication called Provera (10mg). He told me to take the pill every day for 10 days, but that I should stop the pills if my period came. He said it should start within 24 to 48 hours after the last pill. I took all of the pills. It finally started on day 13. Then I took the pills every month, starting on day 18 of my cycle. At one point, my doctor gave me a prescription for Clomid (a fertility drug) to induce ovulation. He told me he wanted to see if he could "shake up those ovaries." I had a funny doctor. He was older and reminded me of Dr. Welby (some of the older ladies here may remember Marcus Welby, MD, and his young assistant, Dr. Steve Kiley, played by James Brolin). About five years later, I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed. My doctor told me to ask the surgeon to look at my ovaries. He confirmed that I did in fact have PCOS. My gyn told me the same thing about getting pregnant, but didn't say it was impossible. He told me that when I got married and decided to start a family not to wait too long. I could have surgery called a Wedge Resection. I never married and did not have children. What I want to stress here is that I had a hysterectomy at 52 and it was initially thought that I had Ovarian Cancer. I was later told the ovaries had tumors of low malignant potential. I always wondered if the PCOS had anything to do with it -- not ovulating on a regular basis all those years. Medical Science has advanced so much that women should see a doctor as soon as they feel there is something irregular going on. You know your own body better than anyone else. It is nice to go without periods, but it is not normal!

It was difficult for me to lose weight when I was younger. Since the hysterectomy, it is easier. I am also hypothyroid (diagnosed at 12 mos.) and have to watch my weight for that reason as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 44 yrs old with PCOS. Thank you for starting this thread :) On 2/20/2012 I had a complete hysterectomy (ovaries included) BEST THING I COULD HAVE HAD DONE!!!! If that is not an option ladies check out the ablation procedure. I had that first but labs showed pre cancer cells so one month later I had the hysterectomy.

If you are showing lab result of a fatty liver, elevated liver test PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go see a liver specialist (Not a gastrologist) I knew I had PCOS and for the last 12 yrs or so was told I had a fatty liver and my liver enzymes were elevated.

I am one stage away from cirossis(never been a drinker) the fat scared the liver. My specialist at VCU told me if I had just taken Vitamin E (800 IU) 3 - 5 yrs sooner it would have never gotten to this level. I am stage 3 NASH.

Just wanted to share there are other things that could be going on with Insulin Resistence as an underlying issue. Thanks for sharing tips :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS about six years ago when we were trying to conceive. After meeting with an RE, we realized it was never going to happen. We knew how far we were willing to go before turning to adoption. We brought our handsome little boy home from Bulgaria last July. He just turned three earlier this month.

I have struggled with the symptoms of PCOS for a long time. The estrogen in the birth control pills caused me to have high blood pressure, and the progesterone only pills did absolutely nothing to control my cycle. I had an endometrial ablation last week and am hopeful that it will help. So far so good. I take 2000 mg. of Glumetza (brand name of Metformin) to help with my insulin resistance. I take an Aqua Fit class at the gym three times a week and eat healthy at home, but I've had a hard time losing weight.

It's nice to see this post to chat with others who actually get it!!

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't about weight loss itself, but one of the hallmarks of PCOS is hirsuitism. I have a very easily recognizable facial hair. It's mostly on my chin, with some under my chin, and some on my cheeks. As a woman, having a "beard" really makes you feel unfeminine.

Plucking would take far more time that it is worth. I have never gotten good results with waxing, my skin is too sensitive for Nair, so that left me with two conventional options. Epilating, and shaving.

I really liked the results of epilation. It's basically high-speed plucking on steroids. The epilator yanks each hair out by the root. The good news is that it works REALLY well. The bad news is that it yanks out even the soft downy fuzzy hairs you don't see. The first few times I was shocked by how uncomfortable it was the first few times, but once the area is initially cleared, you only need to do a daily touch-up and that doesn't hurt very much at all.

But, I'm lazy, and I would forget to touch up daily, and then I rarely felt like doing the two or three day clearing. So, that left me with shaving. As my testosterone level rose and my PCOS got worse, I got more and more facial hair and it became thicker and coarser. Shaving has gone from "Every now and then" when I was a teen to "Once a week" in my twenties, to "twice a week" at 30, to "every other day" now. Even shaving near daily, I was constantly conscious of my five o'clock shadow.

That is, until I bought a living social coupon for laser hair removal. OMG what a difference. I have had three treatments so far, and I am back down to once or twice a week. The hair that is growing back is thinner and finer as well. I know that laser hair removal isn't a complete solution, and the hair may grow back. Also, if my testosterone level remains unopposed, it will activate different follicles. For now, though, I am happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a long time PCOS sufferer. I am almost 45 and have been dealing with the symptoms since I started menses when I was 12. They were always irregular and I had horrible cramps when it did start. I also gained weight in jr. high at a fairly rapid pace and I was a very active teen. I was mortified with my body and always felt there was a medical reason. In the early 90's I was finally diagnosed, but was not given any info about it from the gyn I was seeing. I did see an endocrinologist and still never got any info.

I am one of the lucky ones though and was able to naturally conceive both of my children. I did find out that I ovulated but my cycle was wacked. So, to get preggers I did have to use an ovulation kit and that helped me have my 2nd child. The first was just a fluke. :D

I am now quite overweight and haven't successfully lost weight on purpose. I have just joined our local YMCA and am using the Loseit app on my iphone. It tracks your exercise and food intake and it is free. I really need to just not gain any more weight and to get rid of my constant edema in my feet/ankles and be more fit so I can walk without panting.

This is a very frustrating condition to have. I also try to balance my protein and carbs but I still seem to gain.

As far as meds, I stopped taking Metformin a long time ago because it really wasn't helping and it was killing my tummy. I was on Yaz along with Spironolactone but have recently gone off Yaz and am taking a different bc pill. I take the Spiro and bc now along with simvastatin for my cholesterol. My nurse practitioner has told me I no longer need to manage my PCOS since I am not trying to have a baby. Not sure what my next step is. I just hate having the big belly as it keeps me from doing lots of things. I also have sleep apnea and use a cpap. Which reminds me, Apnea is another symptom of PCOS so be sure to talk to your dr. if you are experiencing snoring or excessive sleepiness.

Thanks for starting this thread and congrats on the weigh loss so far.

Its amazing how many people actually have PCOS. I had never heard of it until we started TTC. I found out 7 years ago I have it.

I have noticed over time the hair on my face and chin is starting to get much worse. I pluck everyday, and starting to look into the laser hair removal also. Any other recommendations?

As far as weight loss....I have done WW twice the first time I lost around 25 lbs, went on vacation and couldnt get motivated to restart it. Now fast forward a few years later (this year) I restarted WW and have lost 32 lbs; again went on vacation and I am struggling to get back on track now. I think I am burnt out on counting points. I would like to lose about 15 more pounds. I have thought about low carb diet but I love potatoes and bread and pasta so it would be extremely hard for me. Any recommendations?

As far as TTC...we struggled for 6 years. Did the pills, injections, did several IUI's. After none of that worked we bit the bullet got a loan and got into an IVF program. After 2 retrievals we now have a beautiful 15 month old daughter and she has my heart.

So happy to find this thread. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2000. I went to see the North Carolina Center for Reproductive Medicine after fertility pills didn't help me conceive. I was told there I had PCOS and I wouldn't get pregnant on my own so we did some treatments without success and then we divorced so I just let it go. In 2006 after coming off the birth control patch because of the side effects, I magically got pregnant with my now 5 year old awesome daughter who has recently discovered Justin Bieber....yaaaaa me

Anyhow the weight has added on since I was 20 and after having my daughter and my gall bladder removed I am up to 205 and my low back is in pain daily. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and will be getting the CPAP this week sometime. I am heavily considering by pass because it physically hurts to exercise enough to matter. My surgeon has a very strict pre-bypass program so I am currently on a 1300 calorie diet high in protein and low in carbs and sugars and taking all the vitamins to get used to the routine. I had hoped to have had a surgery date in June but its been slow moving for all the things I had to complete prior to submitting to my insurance so now I may put it off till after my cruise Sept 29.....I don't know yet I hate to wait any longer. Anyhow nice to see everyone on here

Hi I also have PCOS. I got my first period Christmas morning when I was 13 and ws so happy...then didnt get another for 1 year later. Started growing facial year (mustache) around the same time. Those were my 2 big symptoms. Although nobody ever put a name to it for years nd years. My periods were always unpredicatable and spaced from 6-12 months apart. I saw a new Dr at one time when I was about 22 and of course when the question came up of when was my last period and I answered NO there is no chance I could be pregnant and from the general exam--Im sure he saw my facial hair. He told me he thought I had PCO--I never knew what that was before apparently his wife had it so it was a blessing to me to have him as a Dr that day. I told him my fears of not being able to have children someday and he told me Id be able to with a pill--Clomid. WELL it didnt turn out that easy for me but I came away from that appointment feeling good to at least have a diagnosis and I wasnt just a freak of nature. I was married at 26 and had my 1st baby at 27 from the help of a wonderful RE and injections and IUI. Had my 2nd baby when I was 29 with the help of IVF and many many IVF's after prooved negative. Gave up for awhile. Heard about a new pill that could help if you took it with Metformin and clomid--called my RE up and told him I wanted to try that (I was so done with shots and IVF at that point) I think he said ok but really only said ok thinking it would never work... they did talk me into doing a IUI instead of trying with just sex.....low and behold I got pregnant and had my 3rd baby when I was 35. I think my RE was more shocked then me after all those failed IVF's LOL Then, I wanted to try again but didnt even want to go back to my RE. I asked my OBGYN if I could just go on clomid and met and give it a try on my own....he wrote the scripts for 6 months---on that 6 month we got pregnant with my one and only girl---ALL ON OUR OWN whooo hooo! LOL MY PCOS journey has been all about TTC. I am now about 60 lbs over weight and I have to work on losing that!!!!!!!!!!! I still struggled with the hair on my face and it got really bad on my chin...I was plucking and plucking and couldnt keep up with it. Just couldnt shave--made me feel like a man...I have been doing lazer hair removal for a year now and it is 95% better!!! I have so much more confidence without the hair. I used to be so self concious of it. It was the best $700 I ever spent!!!!!!!!

Hi I also have PCOS. I got my first period Christmas morning when I was 13 and ws so happy...then didnt get another for 1 year later. Started growing facial year (mustache) around the same time. Those were my 2 big symptoms. Although nobody ever put a name to it for years nd years. My periods were always unpredicatable and spaced from 6-12 months apart. I saw a new Dr at one time when I was about 22 and of course when the question came up of when was my last period and I answered NO there is no chance I could be pregnant and from the general exam--Im sure he saw my facial hair. He told me he thought I had PCO--I never knew what that was before apparently his wife had it so it was a blessing to me to have him as a Dr that day. I told him my fears of not being able to have children someday and he told me Id be able to with a pill--Clomid. WELL it didnt turn out that easy for me but I came away from that appointment feeling good to at least have a diagnosis and I wasnt just a freak of nature. I was married at 26 and had my 1st baby at 27 from the help of a wonderful RE and injections and IUI. Had my 2nd baby when I was 29 with the help of IVF and many many IVF's after prooved negative. Gave up for awhile. Heard about a new pill that could help if you took it with Metformin and clomid--called my RE up and told him I wanted to try that (I was so done with shots and IVF at that point) I think he said ok but really only said ok thinking it would never work... they did talk me into doing a IUI instead of trying with just sex.....low and behold I got pregnant and had my 3rd baby when I was 35. I think my RE was more shocked then me after all those failed IVF's LOL Then, I wanted to try again but didnt even want to go back to my RE. I asked my OBGYN if I could just go on clomid and met and give it a try on my own....he wrote the scripts for 6 months---on that 6 month we got pregnant with my one and only girl---ALL ON OUR OWN whooo hooo! LOL MY PCOS journey has been all about TTC. I am now about 60 lbs over weight and I have to work on losing that!!!!!!!!!!! I still struggled with the hair on my face and it got really bad on my chin...I was plucking and plucking and couldnt keep up with it. Just couldnt shave--made me feel like a man...I have been doing lazer hair removal for a year now and it is 95% better!!! I have so much more confidence without the hair. I used to be so self concious of it. It was the best $700 I ever spent!!!!!!!!

Love your story!!! We only have 1 right now and it was through IVF. (TTC 6 years) I do want at least one more and really dont want to have to go back to RE. I am noticing the facial hair is getting worse so thinking baout the laser hair removal. I guess it works??

• 3 weeks later...

Whomever was told that PCOS does NOT need to be treated if only for infertility - was mistaken

Docs /studies / are now figuring out PCOS with or without

pre-diabeties/insulin resistance need some help

PCOS over time will make your weight go up - I started out thin/normal - NOW first time at 48 NO waistline - will raise blood pressure, will cause more facial hair - mess with menopause and heart disease etc etc.

Has anyone tried Vaniqua for facial hair? Gotta have a generic by now

I saw an awesome endo for the first time in 30 years. Put me on met to go up to 2000 per day xr -- said to take all four pills spaced out during the entire day - less tummy troubles -- only worked up to 2 per day now. I take immodium with it. Dr. said okay.

30 lbs to start losing

-- I've never had to lose that much except for babies --

IVE GOT FIVE MONTHS ---- big 50 on NCL Sky! 2nd goal - tone up -- 3rd goal get off Blood Pressure Meds!

Oh and good book is Insulin Resistance Diet -- good guidelines for balancing carbs and proteins --- I'm restarting WW online again -- uhhhhggg

I thought this last three years was weight because of quit smoking -- but keeps going up and up and cravings for carbs are so demanding!

Edited by kcdancerkc

• 3 years later...

I found this post when I Googled how to stay on a PCOS diet on a cruise. I go on my first ever cruise, to Alaska, in less than a month. I've been trying really hard to eat better and work out but had only lost about 7 lbs., then my mom and I went away for a couple of days to a casino and I gained 2-3 lbs.. Really don't want to gain a ton of weight on the cruise and be in worse shape then when I started. I'm 37 years old and also have Fibromyalgia so I have to be careful with my workouts as well. Right now when I work out I walk 30 min. and do some weights. It makes me feel good but I can't push it or my Fibro flares. How do I watch what I eat on the cruise and still have a good time? I want to be able to have some dessert and alcoholic beverages but I don't want to gain a bunch of weight back. So hard and frustrating to just not be able to go on vacation and enjoy myself.