Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

I'm really enjoying the detail of all your underwater photos. It makes me want to look into a nice underwater camera!

I had a very similar Suess Brunch when I was on Splendor in 2014. I don't know what it was, but they just couldn't get it together. The hot mess (cold food) took over 2.5 hours and I won't go (dragged there or not) to another one again.

Darn it Kim~~~ NOW we have to book on ANOTHER cruise line and go to Barbados!!!!!! I have finally figured out Bermuda after 2 times there and reading your reviews ... DANG YOU!! and FYI? If I had your daughters tatas AND her body I would not even wear clothes .. and believe me hubby would be happy with that! damn age, 3 kids and gravity on my body !

Another great review! I'm enjoying reading it!

Did you notice that the Tara Library on the ship didn't have the one thing that the library at Tara was known for? Green Velvet drapes that Scarlett later has made into a dress when she is down and out and needs money.

Also the portrait of Scarlett over the fireplace - she has a 1940's hairstyle like Vivienne Leigh wore with her 1861 hoop skirted gown - just like in the movie because in that period, the costume designers and hair stylists didn't think that the hairstyles didn't need to be the correct period. I guess they thought the actual hairstyles of the 1860's would make the actresses look dowdy or something.

Circle C (I believe that's what it's called).

I am not looking forward to the day Sakari gets to this age. There never looks like there's much to do other than sit on the couches or playing video games.

P8151223%20copy-L.jpg

P8151224%20copy-L.jpg

My teens are 17 &14 - They love the teen clubs. Last fall on our cruise out of NOLA, my daughter made so many friends that she has kept up with pretty well. She said the other day that she hopes the teens/teen club on the Ecstasy out of Charleston is as will be as wonderful as last year's. She has high expectations. :)

Because our kids love the teen clubs so much, my hubby & I get a lot of couple time on sea days. Serenity deck here we come! :D

The only thing is, the taxis inside the port area are licensed, insured and regulated. The ones outside.....? You have to be careful and make sure they have insurance etc. You get a lot of guys hanging around outside all these ports, willing to give you a ride, but they could be anybody....

I imagine the one who ran away had been spotted touting for business where he is not allowed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He was up to no good and he was about to get caught. Why else would he have been running?

Your pictures of the turtles are awesome! It looked like you had great visibility underwater. I'm surprised, though, that they let you get close enough to touch them. Most species of sea turtles are endangered and thus protected under the Endangered Species Act. Direct contact with humans is not particularly good for the turtles.

Oh I wish you hadn't shown the future cruise paper! You have put ideas in my head! Hawaii on the Miracle and Southern on the Vista sound absolutely wonderful. And I didn't even go on the Fascination yet. Wondering if I could get 15 days off work. Too many vacations, too little time.

The only thing is, the taxis inside the port area are licensed, insured and regulated. The ones outside.....? You have to be careful and make sure they have insurance etc. You get a lot of guys hanging around outside all these ports, willing to give you a ride, but they could be anybody....

I imagine the one who ran away had been spotted touting for business where he is not allowed.

That could be. I never thought of that. But if he was someone that wasn't supposed to be doing business, how would he have got into the port area? There's people there at the gates and I would imagine they don't just let anyone in right?

So the people that are inside wanting you to come outside for a ride, are you to assume that they are ok to go with normally?

I'm really enjoying the detail of all your underwater photos. It makes me want to look into a nice underwater camera!

I had a very similar Suess Brunch when I was on Splendor in 2014. I don't know what it was, but they just couldn't get it together. The hot mess (cold food) took over 2.5 hours and I won't go (dragged there or not) to another one again.

I absolutely love my Olympus (and my camera goggle lens). But, I really work hard for these pictures. Trust me, they don't all come out so perfect and clear. I burn up a good 4500+ pictures on a disc each cruise just to get a few hundred perfect ones. :p Settings, lighting, cloudiness and movement all play a part in it. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. :)

Darn it Kim~~~ NOW we have to book on ANOTHER cruise line and go to Barbados!!!!!! I have finally figured out Bermuda after 2 times there and reading your reviews ... DANG YOU!! and FYI? If I had your daughters tatas AND her body I would not even wear clothes .. and believe me hubby would be happy with that! damn age, 3 kids and gravity on my body !

Bermuda is so beautiful and I would love to go back. But now I have discovered a whole new world down in the Caribbean and I want to go back. :p Yes, you should definitely go! Amazing itinerary for sure.

Right, I have to say damn age, 4 children and CRUISES are my problem. My weight gain has gotten out of control over the last few years.

I'm sorry Mitzy I have only cruised once on Carnival explain the gift card usage and buying, does this save money?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival gift cards can be purchased at several different places (stores) and online. I buy mine online with Verizon using my Verizon points and you save money. For $100 gift card, you pay $90. For the $500 gift cards, you pay $450. Every little bit helps.

I also buy them at my local grocery store that gives you free gas, or money off gas, for "any" purchases. I purchased enough gift cards one year (when we went on the Pride) that I received free gas for over 2 months. Well worth it. :)

Another great review! I'm enjoying reading it!

Did you notice that the Tara Library on the ship didn't have the one thing that the library at Tara was known for? Green Velvet drapes that Scarlett later has made into a dress when she is down and out and needs money.

Also the portrait of Scarlett over the fireplace - she has a 1940's hairstyle like Vivienne Leigh wore with her 1861 hoop skirted gown - just like in the movie because in that period, the costume designers and hair stylists didn't think that the hairstyles didn't need to be the correct period. I guess they thought the actual hairstyles of the 1860's would make the actresses look dowdy or something.

I'm going to hide my head in shame and admit that I have no idea what the Tara Library stands for and I assume that the Scarlett you are talking about it Scarlett O'Harra? I don't know anything about that either and never watched it (at least I think it was a movie?). I did use to collect high end Barbie Dolls and I had the entire Scarlett series, but still knew nothing about them. :o

My teens are 17 &14 - They love the teen clubs. Last fall on our cruise out of NOLA, my daughter made so many friends that she has kept up with pretty well. She said the other day that she hopes the teens/teen club on the Ecstasy out of Charleston is as will be as wonderful as last year's. She has high expectations. :)

Because our kids love the teen clubs so much, my hubby & I get a lot of couple time on sea days. Serenity deck here we come! :D

I assumed that the teen place is a place for those age groups to get together and meet one another and have friends to hang out with. But there just never seems much to do in there. Now I do know that they have dance "parties" they throw for them in the nightclubs.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He was up to no good and he was about to get caught. Why else would he have been running?

Your pictures of the turtles are awesome! It looked like you had great visibility underwater. I'm surprised, though, that they let you get close enough to touch them. Most species of sea turtles are endangered and thus protected under the Endangered Species Act. Direct contact with humans is not particularly good for the turtles.

It was very clear water and ended up being such a beautiful day. The turtles came that close to us and I don't think they let us touch them, I just think Sakari being Sakari was on a mission and did it on her own. The hubby said he touched one too because it swam so close to him. We were told not to dang our hands in front of us or twirl our fingers or they would think it is food and might bite.

Awesome review. I feel like I'm cruising with you !!

Thank you

Oh I wish you hadn't shown the future cruise paper! You have put ideas in my head! Hawaii on the Miracle and Southern on the Vista sound absolutely wonderful. And I didn't even go on the Fascination yet. Wondering if I could get 15 days off work. Too many vacations, too little time.

I'm all new to this future cruise thing and really have no idea with the bookings, but I thought I understood that what they offer on this paper is usually cruises they are trying to get filled up (which aren't filling up) and they are trying to move them, therefore discounting them and giving you an awesome deal. So, if that's they case, wouldn't they change constantly? Is every ship a different deal?

LOVE this pic!!!!

Thanks, I do to. I love my miniature setting on my camera! :) It definitely takes some interesting pictures.

So remember how I was complaining that I always forget to take videos of things when I'm snorkeling? Well, as some of you may know, my son-in-law (Kendra's fiance) bought me a pair of snorkeling goggles that have the camera built in to it last Christmas. I have only used them once during a cruise, and it has multiple settings that I have yet to learn. (4 different settings that are colors-red, blue, purple, green). I can't seem to remember what color means what.

Well, I had it with me twice this time: Barbados and swimming with the turtles and St Lucia while snorkeling at the beach. I just discovered them.

I "thought" I was taking pictures (which I did end up with a lot of them), but I also ended up with a lot of video as well. So, I put them together and made a video of each day. Now I want to remind you that I did NOT know that it was on video at the time. So, not the best video because you'll see me just zooming around looking, coming up out of the water, hair in the way and so on. I was unaware that it was on at the time. I have attempted to cut out a lot of the really bad "crap". So...enjoy.

Here's my swimming with the turtles video. It's a little over 2 minutes long.

u2zLAl2jMhw

DAY 5: ST LUCIA!!!

This was our first time here and once again, thanks to the many people on here that helped me pick the perfect place to go to. Many highly recommended using Spencer Ambrose Tours and to head to Joulsie Beach between the Pitons for the day. I couldn't have been more happier with this choice and it was definitely another highlight of the cruise. We had the perfect day here!! This is one of those "must do" places and I highly recommend going here! If you love snorkeling, and snorkeling right off the beach, this place is THE place. I would say it's right up there with my Coki, St Thomas experience!

So on with the review.

P9053646%20copy-L.jpg

P9053647%20copy-L.jpg

We were due in port by 8am so that meant my alarm was piercing my ears at 645am! I got everyone up and Sakari was dragging this morning.

We headed out the door and I look at her and get this...Does anyone see a problem here?

P8182106%20copy-L.jpg

No, let me show you a closer look...

P8182107%20copy-L.jpg

That's how tired she was. She was so tired that she actually said "I don't want to go to the beach today" GASP!! Never in my life have I heard this come out of her mouth.

I still can't believe that she didn't notice she had 2 different sandals on. One of them is completely thin and flat and the other is sorta a high-heel on it. Only my child.

Up to the buffet we went for breakfast.

This was Sakari's plate and after her little comment about not wanting to go to the beach today...I couldn't wait to see her bite into that grapefruit. That would surely wake her up and she would snap back to reality and come to her senses. It worked! The look on her face was priceless as she spit it out. LOL

P8182108%20copy-L.jpg

I had my usual, but they did manage to throw a new item in the mix this morning. Some kind of stuffed breakfast something or other. I did not like it, so the regular food it was. The bacon police did not give me the crispy bacon I like this morning. Boo hiss.

P8182109%20copy-L.jpg

We are here!!!

P8182112%20copy-L.jpg

P8182110%20copy-L.jpg

P8182114%20copy-L.jpg

So far, it looked like a beautiful port. I was so excited to be here. It's a place I have always wanted to visit. When I was in my 20's and poor and busy creating munchkins, I worked with a friend who married into a "rich" family. She would always go here. She always talked about it. Just hearing the words "Lucia" roll off her mouth made mine water from her stories. I was envious of the pictures she showed me. It sounded like such an exotic place. Luuuucccciiiiaaa. Ahhh, the name gave me chill bumps. AND HERE I AM NOW!

"Brrushshhhppppeeekkk" went the loud noise on the pool deck and everyone jumped. That was my signal to head down to grab our things and get off the ship. No need for ice today for our coolers because all the drinks were on Spencer (I think, but I would take money just in case I misunderstood).

We were off the ship at 8am and the paparazzi was waiting like always.

P9093666%20copy-L.jpg

P9093663%20copy-L.jpg

P8182115%20copy-L.jpg

We met the Spencer team right outside the port and waited for about 10 minutes while they collected our remaining balance for the tour and we walked over to the boat we would be taking to the beach.

P8182116%20copy-L.jpg

There's one thing I have learned when taking a tour by boat, always sit in the back or facing forward and not on the sides. The boat raises up when moving and you'll feel like you are falling sideways the entire time if you sit on the sides. My legs will be hurting by the time we get to our destination and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. So, I headed to the back immediately. The boat was full. I'm not sure how many people, but the seats were taken, but it was not uncomfortable in any way.

Then off we went. Goodbye Fascination...see you later today.

P8182118%20copy-L.jpg

We were having a good time. The boat was super fast and he wasn't afraid to open up the throttle.

P8182122%20copy-L.jpg

A selfie just to prove I actually made it to St Lucia

IMG_5295%20copy-L.jpg

I took pictures along the way of course.

P8182119%20copy-L.jpg

P8182120%20copy-L.jpg

They had 2 huge engines on the boat. It was getting a little cloudy and I was beginning to wonder what was in store for us that day.

P8182126%20copy-L.jpg

The colorful houses sitting on the hill reminded me of houses in Bermuda.

P8182123%20copy-L.jpg

P8182121%20copy-L.jpg

We pulled up to "Bat Cave", which was a large vertical opening in the rocks.

P8182137%20copy-L.jpg

They got the boat really close. You could hear the bats inside and Sakari swore she was able to see a few. I was looking at my camera screen, so I didn't really see any.

P8182140%20copy-L.jpg

We could see the pitons. What the heck are pitons? I had read it was a "plug" or something. Plug of a volcano. So it's a volcano that has a plug in the top of it? It's plugged until it decides to erupt again? I wasn't sure but I was calling it a volcano and we let everyone know back home that we were headed to the volcano's. LOL This is not one of Sakari's "know-it-all" subjects, so I couldn't even ask her about it.

P8182134%20copy-L.jpg

P8182135%20copy-L.jpg

We were pulling up to this little village. I looked around and didn't see a beach. Could I have been wrong about where we are going or it was the place they drop you off at and you walk to the beach? Or maybe shuttle there? I noticed some smoke coming from there.

P8182146%20copy-L.jpg

I believe they said this was the sulfer coming from the volcanos? Can anyone confirm it's located right there in that little village? I thought it was weird, but you could definitely smell it.

P8182150%20copy-L.jpg

P8182149%20copy-L.jpg

We pulled up to the dock and everyone was getting out. Everyone except us I guess. He told us we were going on to the beach. We were the ONLY ones that didn't take the tour everyone else was doing. At that point I had regrets. I had ask the hubby which tour he wanted to do. Just the beach or the tour to the volcanos and mud bath. I personally thought the mud bath would be so awesome to do and would make for some great pictures (and everyone knows when I go some place, I have taking pictures on my mind). But he said "no way" and I only booked the beach portion. Now I regretted listening to him. I mean he leaves things up to me and is always just along for the ride. He usually never knows what we are doing or where we are going. I should have just booked and not worried about it. He would have went anyhow. But I didn't. Had I known for sure that Kendra was coming on the cruise with us, I would have booked the mud bath tour for sure! We would have had so much fun with that! Next time!!!

Off we went on a boat with just the 5 of us.

P8182147%20copy-L.jpg

P8182142%20copy-L.jpg

We have arrived to our Jalousie beach. They pointed over to the side and said that was the snorkeling area and it ran up and down that side of the mountain. I looked over and it really didn't look like too big of an area to me. Long, yes. Wide, no. A bit of disappointment started to come over me, thinking this was not going to be what I expected, but I was going to have fun anyhow.

P8182155%20copy-L.jpg

This is the other side of the beach where Jalousie Viceroy Sugar Beach Resort is located. This is a very luxurious resort where they have movie stars visit and have weddings. I looked it up once and the pricing was outrageous of course. Maybe some day when I decide to become a doctor...which would be never.

Now they did tell us that all the beaches in St Lucia belong to St Lucia...even if it's a resort or a private residence. Anyone is allowed there. They (St Lucia) own the first 100 feet of the beach property up and anyone is free to use it. The beach chairs (lusciously padded) there at the resort, you can rent, for $50. LOL I guess that's a way to keep others off of them and they made sure they are beyond the 100 feet limit. But they did have the floating water thingys in the water. Since that water belongs to St Lucia, that meant we were free to use them as well.

P8182156%20copy-L.jpg

This is the "free" beach area and chairs. As you can see, we are the first one's here. We had our pick of where we wanted to sit.

P8182157%20copy-L.jpg

It wasn't a very big area, but it was perfect to us.

Our boat at the dock.

P8182158%20copy-L.jpg

At first we had picked one of the areas with the palapa over it. But, it was a little far away from the water for me and I like to be where I can actually see the water and my child. So, we ended up moving over to the side. There were 2 rows of seats that was located under the trees. The second row was up on an area that was raised and had steps leading up to it. I thought it was perfect and being raised up we could see the water.

Immediately Sakari wanted to explore. (Notice how dark it is...yikes)

P8182160%20copy-L.jpg

She immediately brought me this as her first find of the day on the beach.

P8182161%20copy-L.jpg

It started to pour!!! We had the trees above us, which was blocking a lot of it. But, we were still getting wet. Spencers team told us we could sit under the palapa's and move if we wanted. We declined and I said, we are here for the beach and will be getting wet anyhow. No big deal. We kinda hung out for awhile and the kids immediately hit the water after that. They were hanging around the edge where you entered and it seemed like they were really fascinated by something under there.

The heavy downpour lasted for maybe 5 minutes, the rain subsided within 10 minutes and all was good. I ask the Spencer team if our tour included drinks and they did confirm that it did...free of charge. They had some yummy (not) water, soda (both regular and diet), rum punch, and beer of course. We helped ourselves and the caffeine gave me the energy I was looking for to head off into the water to explore.

P8192381%20copy-L.jpg

I geared up and headed for the water....OUCH!!!

This is what you have to walk over in order to get in the water.

P8192383%20copy-L.jpg

I immediately noticed how pretty is was under there and what the kids had been staring at was more than just a few fish hanging out at the shore line.

P8182163%20copy-L.jpg

See the hidden fish that blended in?

P8182162%20copy-L.jpg

A bunch of blue striped baby grunts

P8182165%20copy-L.jpg

Blue head Wrasse

P8182164%20copy-L.jpg

We were pulling up to this little village. I looked around and didn't see a beach. Could I have been wrong about where we are going or it was the place they drop you off at and you walk to the beach? Or maybe shuttle there? I noticed some smoke coming from there.

I believe they said this was the sulfer coming from the volcanos? Can anyone confirm it's located right there in that little village? I thought it was weird, but you could definitely smell it.

We pulled up to the dock and everyone was getting out. Everyone except us I guess. He told us we were going on to the beach. We were the ONLY ones that didn't take the tour everyone else was doing. At that point I had regrets. I had ask the hubby which tour he wanted to do. Just the beach or the tour to the volcanos and mud bath. I personally thought the mud bath would be so awesome to do and would make for some great pictures (and everyone knows when I go some place, I have taking pictures on my mind). But he said "no way" and I only booked the beach portion. Now I regretted listening to him. I mean he leaves things up to me and is always just along for the ride. He usually never knows what we are doing or where we are going. I should have just booked and not worried about it. He would have went anyhow. But I didn't. Had I known for sure that Kendra was coming on the cruise with us, I would have booked the mud bath tour for sure! We would have had so much fun with that! Next time!!!

Off we went on a boat with just the 5 of us.

Yes that village "Soufriere" is the place where the vans used to meet a boat at the dock there when Spencer Ambrose did a land tour portion (a year or so ago they quit that) then you would get on the water taxi and go around the Piton to the beach in between. Yes the Drive through Volcano is just up the road from that little town, as are the Mud Baths (since the two are next to each other) they also take you to a very pretty waterfall where you can get in the cool water. Worth the trip next time you are there. We did the mud baths the last time we were there (in 2015) with Spencer Ambrose. He is a great guide/guy. You can definitely smell the sulfur... which is actually a good thing. When you can't smell it the volcano is getting ready to erupt :eek::eek: Your review is bringing back so many great memories.

I spotted some Christmas tree worms. These are the same as the feather dusters, just shaped like a Christmas tree and they come in all different colors. I just love them! They are so pretty.

P8182167%20copy-L.jpg

A red sea urchin

P8182170%20copy-L.jpg

P8182171%20copy-L.jpg

Feather duster worm

P8182172%20copy-L.jpg

P8182173%20copy-L.jpg

Ocean Surgeonfish

P8182175%20copy-L.jpg

P8182174%20copy-L.jpg

This coral was HUGE

P8182177%20copy-L.jpg

I could have put my head in there...if I had the guts of course. Maybe I'll tell Sakari...she'll do anything.

P8182178%20copy-L.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen pink (light) coral before.

P8182179%20copy-L.jpg

P8182180%20copy-L.jpg

This red coral was beautiful

P8182182%20copy-L.jpg