Which ships have a Tandoor?

jules815

My husband and I sailed on Dream last week, and despite the rough conditions, we ate lunch at the Tandoor out at the aft pool almost every day. Some of the best food on board. We were talking about future cruises with Carnival, and we both agreed we'd want a ship that had Tandoor.

So curious, which ships have this available? Is it always an outside station?

The Breeze also has the Tandoor place. They have an Indian meal every night in the MDR. I don't mean the vegetarian option that is printed on the menu. This is something that you have to order a day ahead. We have had it twice and it is amazing. You get whatever they make for you that day. If you like Indian food, give it a try.

The Breeze also has the Tandoor place. They have an Indian meal every night in the MDR. I don't mean the vegetarian option that is printed on the menu. This is something that you have to order a day ahead. We have had it twice and it is amazing. You get whatever they make for you that day. If you like Indian food, give it a try.

I didn't know about this! My husband and I will have to check it out on our next cruise! :D

I didn't know about this! My husband and I will have to check it out on our next cruise! :D

I was assigned to the US Embassy in India, and developed a love of Indian food. When we were on a recent cruise on the Conquest - I met the Food and Beverage manager, Sundeep and we talked about New Delhi, Indian food and culture - and low and behold. One night in the main dining room, I had, to my complete surprise - a complete Indian meal delivered to our table. It was fantastic! Just ask, and you won't be disappointed. Sorry, this threat was not exactly about tandoor, but i fell like sharing

There is a restaurant here in Tulsa, that i think is Indian.. whatever it is, i love it. Does the Tandoor on the ships have Chicken Tikka Masala. Is that Indian food? Yes i probably spelled that wrong.

I have only been on one Carnival ship (Freedom) that had the Tandoori grill. I cant say exactly if it was Chicken Tikka that they had there, but it was very similar in flavor. Every day, at lunch, only open at lunch time, 1200 to 2pm, they had a chicken, beef, and a seafood dish, with rice, plain and pilau, and lettuce/cucumber, pickled onions ( I loved those ), several chutneys, and naan bread, and the thin crisp breads, forget the name of those. My cruise was an 8 day, and was two years ago, but out of the 8 days, I ate lunch there four times. Would have eaten lunch there everyday, but three days were port days, and I ate lunch in port. For buffet Indian food it was sooooo good.!

Edited by SMSACE6

• 1 year later...
I love palek paneer! No Indian cuisine places near me so haven't had much besides that. But loved it when I lived in Sedona, AZ as there was a really good place there. Went at least once a month if not more.

Quite a few places in the Orlando area. Where exactly are you located?

I had no idea what Tandoor food was either ..... they had it on the Dream and the Freedom ..... I tried the corn .... even though it was cold I thought it was good ... and I ate some of the flat bread ... but my husband and I had NO idea what anything was at the Tandoor station .......

A Tandoor is like a giant clay flower pot that is set into insulation. Traditional Tandoor's use red hot charcoal for heat. Meat is threaded onto long skewers so they sit above the coals, naan bread is slapped on the side of the tandoor.This means it will cook suitable food very quickly.

The Scots claim they invented Chicken Tikka Marsala for me its just a type of Murgh Makhani.The majority of Indian food cooked on ships is batch cooked which is not a traditional method.

Edited by Keel Haul

This post has turned into a ramble. Oh well ...

I can say what a tandoor is definitely not, sure - it is not the entrance to the Spa! ;-)

That said, as an Indian American, I don't have a clue when I last ate - or how often I have ever eaten - food cooked in a tandoor (never had the desire to go behind the scene and check out the restaurant's cooking method). I can honestly say that I have never - in my house or in friends', as a kid - seen a real live tandoor in action. But then again, this could just be me.

Besides, Indian cuisine is so vast and varied that I am pretty sure I have not tasted all the different varieties - that too, as a vegetarian, I would have missed half of them regardless. In the USA, South Indian restaurants are fewer than the North Indian ones - different cuisine entirely.

There is a restaurant here in Tulsa, that i think is Indian.. whatever it is, i love it. Does the Tandoor on the ships have Chicken Tikka Masala. Is that Indian food? Yes i probably spelled that wrong.

The chicken tikka itself is Indian but the Masala sauce is a western addition for those that like sauce with their food.

I never got to try the Indian food on board but I was told they have a lot of Indian chefs and it was very good (MDR offerings).

Being a Brit I am surrounded by Indian restaurants but its never as good as my friends homemade stuff. :) Things like Chicken tikka are easy to make at home and work especially well when grilled on a BBQ.

I wonder if the Freedom will lose it's tandoor grill after the upcoming drydock and upgrades. Since they are putting in a guy burger and blue iguana, I suppose they will need that space where the grill is situated now.

If that happens, I will miss it on my next cruise. I am not a fan of burgers/beef, so guy's burgers do not appeal to me, but I will look forward to the blue iguana addition.