Does the Viking Magni Exist?

babs135

Apologies for repeating this question. Didn't find this thread until I'd posted the question elsewhere :o

American friends of ours have asked us to join them on a cruise Amsterdam to Basel in November on the Magni; however, when I go on the website there is no mention of this boat, nor can I find it on several other sites. Where is it?

If you go to the Viking Website it is listed and a complete details about this "Longboat" launched in 2012.

You will find pictures and all! Enjoy your river cruise, lots of Viking fans on this board.

Google the ships name and the link will take you directly to Viking website. The Viking site is not really fully accessible from a smart device, use the full site from a regular computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Apologies for repeating this question. Didn't find this thread until I'd posted the question elsewhere :o

American friends of ours have asked us to join them on a cruise Amsterdam to Basel in November on the Magni; however, when I go on the website there is no mention of this boat, nor can I find it on several other sites. Where is it?

The ship exists and that particular cruise exists, but as far as I can see, that ship does not do that cruise ...

Wondering what the sailing date is? It is possible there has been a change in ships that the OP's friends are unaware of or is not yet reflected on the Viking website.

The ship exists and that particular cruise exists, but as far as I can see, that ship does not do that cruise ...

Wondering what the sailing date is? It is possible there has been a change in ships that the OP's friends are unaware of or is not yet reflected on the Viking website.

just checked again our friends email (they are now away and unreachable) and it definitely states the Magni, Amsterdam to Basel, departing on the 16th November - very curious :confused:

We are not doing this cruise anyway, as the date (whatever it is!) doesn't fit, I just wanted to see what we would be missing; seems like it could be the whole trip :D

Answered my own question after further research (wow is this website difficult to drag info from) I was able to locate the Viking Magni sailing November 30 from Amsterdam to Basel. The OP just needs to cruise around that website a bit more, lots of photos of each and every Viking ship, you just need to find the right drop down box. Trying to do this with my iPhone I could not locate the ship on the website but switching to my ipad I had full access to all the sites features.

Still reminding myself to never say never!

PS this sailing seems to have several categories still available including the lowest two Cat. E & F and while I was on the US site and I think the OP is from the UK....the prices seemed very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

just checked again our friends email (they are now away and unreachable) and it definitely states the Magni, Amsterdam to Basel, departing on the 16th November - very curious :confused:

We are not doing this cruise anyway, as the date (whatever it is!) doesn't fit, I just wanted to see what we would be missing; seems like it could be the whole trip :D

According to the Viking Website, the Nov 16th cruise, Amsterdam to Basel is sold out.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/cruise-destinations/europe/rhine-getaway/2014-amsterdam-basel/pricing.html

It's a good job we are not doing this cruise, because as far as the UK site is concerned it doesn't exist! I may not be a computer geek, but I'm sure I'm not missing something here. When I go to Viking's UK site and put Magni into the search box all that comes up are 2 cruises, neither of which are the one that our friends will be sailing on. :eek:

I tried the Australian link and found it, but am having problems accessing the US site so will try again later. I can't believe it is not available from the UK, so either I'm doing something wrong or I admit defeat.

No doubt someone will come on here and say they found it first time, which will prove once and for all to my daughter that computers and I are completely at odds with each other!!

Yep the boat is on the site but finding anything else has you jumping through hoops like many of the river cruise sites. Tell your daughter it's not just you, what the companies want in the end is for you to ring them so they can make the final sales pitch. I to have just starting having problems accessing US sites it (the computer gizmo) just reverts to the UK site, it was useful to check on differences if any on what was offered by the same companies in other countries.

Sorry but you Brits are apparently not offered the opportunity to sail on the Magni. You are only offered the Gullveig, Var or Tor. Us Aussies also get offered Magni, Bragi or Kavasir. :confused:

Really weird. :D

I'd love to know why they are not offering us Brits the Magni. If I felt like it I'd give them a ring, but then they would be for ever pestering me, which is something I hate.

Viking assigns the boats to specific country and language groups for the same itinerary. For example, we were on the Russian cruise sailing in tandem with two other Viking ships. Ours had mostly Americans and a few Brits. A second one had mostly Germans. The third had a lot of Canadians and French and some Spaniards. We found out because a couple who booked on the German website (and thus the German ship) were really a Greek couple recently transferred to Germany who knew little German. They were actually transferred on the second day of the cruise to a vacant cabin on our ship because they were fluent in English.

It may well be that if you do want to be on a specific boat with friends booking from another country, you do have to call Viking and ask to be placed on that boat. Apparently, they assign the boats to different websites not only by language, but also by country even if they share the same language (sort of).

Check it out yourselves. When you are sailing and have to walk through the tandem ships to disembark, look at the announcements on the other boat and you may see that they are in other languages.

According to the Viking Website, the Nov 16th cruise, Amsterdam to Basel is sold out.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/cruise-destinations/europe/rhine-getaway/2014-amsterdam-basel/pricing.html

No only the lowest (least expensive) catagory is Sold Out, the rest of the trip has plenty of availability !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Second hit on a Google search -

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/ships/viking-magni/index.html

DON

I believe the OP is from the UK so the Google search engine would not necessary yield the same results.

Another poster even posted a live link and the OP said her result was that it was not going to open and said no such page existed when it opened for us in the US.

Second hit on a Google search -

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/ships/viking-magni/index.html

DON

I'm in the UK and can't access the American site. Having said that, the UK site is actually quite awkward to navigate and to find the ship I had to use the search box. As has been said in earlier posts, the cruise I was looking for is not available to us Brits (or certainly not via the website), which added to the 'air of mystery'.

We were on the Magni last fall. Budapest to Amsterdam. 6th voyage of new long ship. Mainly Canadians, Americans, and New Zealanders. One breakdown part way through, not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

I'm in the UK and can't access the American site. Having said that, the UK site is actually quite awkward to navigate and to find the ship I had to use the search box. As has been said in earlier posts, the cruise I was looking for is not available to us Brits (or certainly not via the website), which added to the 'air of mystery'.

I did not realize that you were from the UK and I did not realize that Google worked differently in the UK. Sorry!!

DON

I did not realize that you were from the UK and I did not realize that Google worked differently in the UK. Sorry!!

It is not that Google works differently, it is Viking electing to direct people to specific different versions of their website based on the geographic location.

When I an in the USA I can go to either the .com or the .co.uk site, but if I'm in the UK I can only go to the .co.uk site, any attempt to reach the .com will simply redirect me to .co.uk.