Help! No show vs Cancellation of 2nd Passenger on NCL Double Cabin?

Maglalakbay2017

Typical with most cruise lines, as you are so close to the sailing date whether you cancel or not there will be no refund for your friends cruise cost, therefore they will not reprice your fare. Your friend will lose the money they paid less excursions, port fees, and taxes, which should be refunded.

The same would hold if your friend has insurance that would reimburse their cost since the cruise line will remain whole with the fare. So unless NCL has different post final payment cancellation policies regarding repricing, I don't think it would make a difference either way. Your fare should remain in tact, and unless they have insurance, your friend will lose their money.

Just go solo, I am. Yes I had to pay extra money for having a cabin to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But are you going solo as a result of a cancellation of an intended 2nd passenger or paying the premium from initially booking as a solo? Part of the OP's question is regarding paying the premium as a result of repricing their fare due to the cancellation, which I don't think occurs.

No need for your friend to cancel. You don't even have to inform them when checking in. Some travel to the port separately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This seems like the wisest approach

Of course the notion of paying "...200% more..." as expressed by OP is absurd. Rarely is the single supplement anything more than 100% - and often a lot less.

Our cruise is three days away and my friend can't make it. Should she cancel and I end up paying 200% more or just not show up at all?

Thanks!

If your friend has insurance and can't make it because of a covered reason, friend needs to cancel in order for insurance to pay.

If you have insurance and your friend is covered, then depending on what your policy covers if you're charged Single Supplement your insurance should refund difference.

If your friend has insurance and can't make it because of a covered reason, friend needs to cancel in order for insurance to pay.

If you have insurance and your friend is covered, then depending on what your policy covers if you're charged Single Supplement your insurance should refund difference.

Whether the friends fare is paid by insurance or not, the cruise line remains whole as it will not refund any money, so why would a single supplement be charged? As I mentioned in my first post, along with not charging the supplement, they would in fact return any money prepaid for excursions along with port charges and fees which they now would not incur. Unless they have a cancellation policy that allows for a supplement to be charged - which IMO I believe would be rather unique in the industry.

The single supplement is based on the use of the second person . You will have a cabin for yourself, however there will be no refund.

Since the cabin is paid in full, you won't be charged a single supplement. But I would call NCL directly and advise them you may be going at it alone.

I travel solo all the time. When booking I always ask if someone were to join me...... the answer is the same port taxes and tips will be added. This is when I am paying the extra 100% supplement.

I just don't get why the don't charge a flat rate for a cabin based on double occupancy and extra for the additional in cabin. It would clear up all the confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i paid my fare and as if i paid for a second person on my cruise as a solo, my choice to do and it was a balcony i could have done inside cheaper but as i love fresh air and seeing the waves i wanted the balcony

as your friend paid theirs doubt you will pay any more then what you did due to them pulling out late and not sure if they pulled out earlier when it could be refunded whether that would have changed??

i paid my fare and as if i paid for a second person on my cruise as a solo, my choice to do and it was a balcony i could have done inside cheaper but as i love fresh air and seeing the waves i wanted the balcony

as your friend paid theirs doubt you will pay any more then what you did due to them pulling out late and not sure if they pulled out earlier when it could be refunded whether that would have changed??

If they cancel prior to final payment and are issued a refund then the single supplement would of course be charged as you would then be a solo passenger with only on passenger's fare of the double occupancy received by the cruise line. The option to being charged in that case would be to add a second passenger and have them pay the second fare.

It's very simple - as stateroom fares are based on double occupancy, the total revenue needed by the cruise line per stateroom is the fare based on two passengers in the room. If one cancels with no refund, they remain whole so no additional supplement is charged. If one cancels and money is refunded, they need to make up that difference and the supplement would be charged.

If they cancel prior to final payment and are issued a refund then the single supplement would of course be charged as you would then be a solo passenger with only on passenger's fare of the double occupancy received by the cruise line. The option to being charged in that case would be to add a second passenger and have them pay the second fare.

It's very simple - as stateroom fares are based on double occupancy, the total revenue needed by the cruise line per stateroom is the fare based on two passengers in the room. If one cancels with no refund, they remain whole so no additional supplement is charged. If one cancels and money is refunded, they need to make up that difference and the supplement would be charged.

Cool thanks for the explanation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Care to explain?

Sure. You posted "rarely is the single supplement anything more than 100% - and often a lot less".

It is rare, not often, that the single supplement for a 2 person cabin is less than 200%. I am sure you are aware of the Celebrity Tuesday specials in which they offer last minute cruises at reduced rates. Solo supplement on some of these "reduced" cruises were 250% recently. Every Royal Tuesday sale for this week are the full 200% supplement. Some of this weeks Celebrity are 150% but the majority are 200%. Good luck finding less than 200% on those lines for a 2 person cabin even before they become "specials".:(

There are some less than 200% solo supplement cabins but they are the exception and not the "often" as you wrote.

Sure. You posted "rarely is the single supplement anything more than 100% - and often a lot less".

It is rare, not often, that the single supplement for a 2 person cabin is less than 200%. I am sure you are aware of the Celebrity Tuesday specials in which they offer last minute cruises at reduced rates. Solo supplement on some of these "reduced" cruises were 250% recently. Every Royal Tuesday sale for this week are the full 200% supplement. Some of this weeks Celebrity are 150% but the majority are 200%. Good luck finding less than 200% on those lines for a 2 person cabin even before they become "specials".:(

There are some less than 200% solo supplement cabins but they are the exception and not the "often" as you wrote.

You appear to misunderstand the term "supplement" - it means the amount added , not the total after adding the amount.

A cabin with a pp fare of $1,000 with a 100% single supplement would cost the solo traveler $2,000.

Check definitions.

You appear to misunderstand the term "supplement" - it means the amount added , not the total after adding the amount.

A cabin with a pp fare of $1,000 with a 100% single supplement would cost the solo traveler $2,000.

Check definitions.

Correct. And another way to say that is a solo passenger would pay (up to) 100% of the second passengers fare to occupy a double occupancy stateroom.

Check definitions.

You can play semantics, fine with me but I would like to see you substantiate your claim that "rarely" is the supplement more than 100% and please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can.

You can play semantics, fine with me but I would like to see you substantiate your claim that "rarely" is the supplement more than 100% and please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can.

navybankerteacher's comments are not a matter of semantics. I think you are still misunderstanding what the 100% supplement means.

I am not familiar with any cruise line that charges a solo passenger more than 100% of their fare as the supplement to travel solo. That would have a solo passenger paying more than the double occupancy rate. And many will charge less than 100% from time to time. And BTW taxes and port fees are not included or charge in the supplement - just the base stateroom rate.

Again it's very simple - 100% supplement means 100% - or the full amount - of the second passenger's regular fare to total the full double occupancy rate of the stateroom. This keeps the cruise line whole with the double occupancy rate they would have received with only one passenger in the stateroom. And I have never heard of any line charging more than that. Who would pay it?