B2B cruises and muster drills

Jhanna

We are doing a B2B cruise starting in March 2018. 14 day Asia cruise to Yokohama, followed by a 29 day Asia and Trans-Pacific crossing. At this point we also need to change cabins, moving 3 doors up at the end of the first segment. This may change around the time of final payments due.

We would like to travel from Yokohama to Tokyo (and back) at the end of the first segment.

Wondering if we need to attend a second muster drill? We don't sail till 8pm, so some extra time for Tokyo would be fantastic.

We did a Collectors Cruise in the Med last year and only had to do one muster drill.

We have done several b2b cruises in the last few years, and we were required to attend the muster drill. If I remember correctly, on a day with a late sailing, there was a second drill for those who returned late. The Front Office sent out a questionnaire asking passengers to indicate whether or not they planned on returning after the scheduled drill. The Front Office can answer your questions.

As far as changing cabins, it is relatively easy. You will need to pack those items in the drawers and any loose items. You will not need to pack your hanging clothes. The cabin stewards will place the hanging clothes on a trolley along with your suitcases and take them your new cabin. Everything will be waiting in the new cabin when you return. You will get a letter with instructions a day or two before the end of the first cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

We've done B2B cruises & had to do the muster drill each time. Other people have said they didn't only the first one. The ship will let you know if you have to attend or not.

Allan

We did B2Bs in 2016 on the Westerdam and in 2017 on the Ooosterdam and in both cases were not required to attend the muster drills. On both occasions, there were approximately a dozen or so of us enjoying the quiet solitude of the aft pool before the masses descended on us :D

I have done a couple of B2Bs - the latest in April - where the ruling is that you do not have to attend the muster drill if you already did one in the past 30 days. So no, we were not required to do the one beginning the second segment.

I also changed cabins and FYI drawers are not interchangeable unless you are moving to an identical cabin. You will be instructed to pack up everything except clothes hanging in the closets, which will be moved on rolling racks. The housekeeping team will move everything to the new cabin..

We did B2Bs in 2016 on the Westerdam and in 2017 on the Ooosterdam and in both cases were not required to attend the muster drills. On both occasions, there were approximately a dozen or so of us enjoying the quiet solitude of the aft pool before the masses descended on us :D

I have done a couple of B2Bs - the latest in April - where the ruling is that you do not have to attend the muster drill if you already did one in the past 30 days. So no, we were not required to do the one beginning the second segment.

I also changed cabins and FYI drawers are not interchangeable unless you are moving to an identical cabin. You will be instructed to pack up everything except clothes hanging in the closets, which will be moved on rolling racks. The housekeeping team will move everything to the new cabin..

this is promising news.

We were on the Rotterdam on a Collectors' in April this year and did have to attend the 2nd muster drill. No exceptions.

doing a B2B next year on the P'dam so fingers crossed that we will not have to go the 2nd time.

Not the end of the world if we do, but it would be nice if we don't ;)

On May 20 of this year (2017) we were on a Collector's Cruise on the Prinsendam and we were required to attend our second muster drill at 3:30 pm in Amsterdam on change over day - really got in the way of doing much of anything there.

Lindsay and Paul left on vacation the day after I came back. They drive to Nashville to spend 2 nights, then drove to Florida to meet his family at Disney World. She texted me to say that the Magic Kingdom is much less crowded today than when we went in January. WTH [emoji35] January was supposed to be the least crowded time. At least they're having fun. Here is a picture of them at Boardwalk last night.

f9b083c8327e663823e659adceba2504.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lindsay and Paul left on vacation the day after I came back. They drive to Nashville to spend 2 nights, then drove to Florida to meet his family at Disney World. She texted me to say that the Magic Kingdom is much less crowded today than when we went in January. WTH [emoji35] January was supposed to be the least crowded time. At least they're having fun. Here is a picture of them at Boardwalk last night.

????? No argument from me on this one !

Not looking to hijack the thread but a similar question. I'm new to HAL. I am on the 80 day Grand Asia. It is not a B2B but it does have several "segments" where folks get on and off. Do those on the full cruise need to attend the musters as each segment begins?

You probably won't know for sure but you probably will be required to attend all 3. HAL doesn't seem to have a fixed rule; Crystal pretty much does and the rule is that people need to attend the first drill each month. I'm just on the first segment but boarding September 26 in Vancouver and I fully expect to attend both drills. You might get lucky and miss one drill but I would assume you will be required at all 3. If you are excused from one consider it a benefit.

I think some of the people on the Grand Asia are experienced world cruisers. I'll suggest you ask on the roll call; some of them may have a better idea than me.

Roy

Not much help for a definitive answer, but on an Alaskan B2B in 2014, we were required to attend a 2nd muster drill. On a Panama Canal Transit in 2015 (Seattle - Vancouver BC - San Diego, then on) we did one in Seattle, didn't in Vancouver, but did in San Diego. Heck if I can figure it out. :confused:

Technically speaking, as it was explained to me, every passenger MUST attend a muster (life boat drill) every 30 days.

But, since the Costa experience HAL really tightened up and makes a lot of people that remain on board go.

As you can see from reports, this is not always the case and that is where the mind gets boggled.

We've done collectors and been required to go the other drill.

We're on a B2B next year and from my discussion with the onboard events co-ordinator when I was setting up our M & G, it certainly sound like we will have to attend the 2nd segment again. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to skip it for once the second time ;)

You probably won't know for sure but you probably will be required to attend all 3. HAL doesn't seem to have a fixed rule; Crystal pretty much does and the rule is that people need to attend the first drill each month. I'm just on the first segment but boarding September 26 in Vancouver and I fully expect to attend both drills. You might get lucky and miss one drill but I would assume you will be required at all 3. If you are excused from one consider it a benefit.

I think some of the people on the Grand Asia are experienced world cruisers. I'll suggest you ask on the roll call; some of them may have a better idea than me.

Roy

Thanks Roy, I'm on that roll call (didn't ask there) but was reading this thread and thought people here might know. I'll ask there. Rick

We have done back to back on Princess and NOT had to do 2nd muster drill. Princess has a mandatory safety/muster video in cabin too which must be viewed before using any other stations