Vaccinations for Panama Canal Cruise

NO, you do not need any vacinations for cruising here. If you did, the cruise lines would make sure EVERYONE knew that! WE have been on MANY, MANY cruises and the only thing people get sick with might be a norovirus type thing.

CRUISE LINES WE'VE BEEN ON:

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

Celebrity

NCL

Princess

Costa

There are many conflicting opinions from professionals ranging from nothing needed to a huge number of shots. When we went on a cruise to Panama and Costa Rica last year we got Hepatitis A and B and tetnus shots. I thought this was a middle of the road approach. Since kids need them to be in school. then we probably needed them also. If you will be going off the beaten path and eating in out of the way places, you may need to consider more immunizations.

Marcia

None needed. I guess you could always get them if you wanted to, and if your doctor is willing to give them to you, but they are not required as you will not be going into the "wilds" of the jungles for days & days. We are a couple in our late 60's and have never gotten any vaccinations or inoculations for any of our cruises, and have never had one sick day at sea or when returning home.

Smooth Sailing! :)

None needed. I guess you could always get them if you wanted to, and if your doctor is willing to give them to you, but they are not required as you will not be going into the "wilds" of the jungles for days & days. We are a couple in our late 60's and have never gotten any vaccinations or inoculations for any of our cruises, and have never had one sick day at sea or when returning home.

Smooth Sailing! :)

we had to have yellow fever, hepatitis, polio for a cruise up the Amazon. We were also loaded down with antimosquito drugs (which I eventually threw away as they made me sick!) plus sprays etc. Perhaps we were lucky but never even SAW a mozzy, let alone got bitten by one. Get more bites here in my own backyard! still I guess it's better to be safe than sorry

we had to have yellow fever, hepatitis, polio for a cruise up the Amazon. We were also loaded down with antimosquito drugs (which I eventually threw away as they made me sick!) plus sprays etc. Perhaps we were lucky but never even SAW a mozzy, let alone got bitten by one. Get more bites here in my own backyard! still I guess it's better to be safe than sorry

Totally agree with you for an AMAZON cruise where you will be deep in the jungle for several days. The OP was asking about a cruise through the Panama Canal. Two totally different types of cruises and lengths of times in jungle areas.

We are just off a 19-day full transit of the Panama Canal (FLL - San Diego) where we stopped in Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and many stops along the Mexican Riviera, etc - no vaccinations needed or required for those areas. And we didn't even use our recommended high-Deet "OFF" spray once! ;)

If we were to take a cruise down the Amazon, we would most definitely get all the recommended vaccines for that area. :)

No vaccinations needed as per our physician but the recommend Twinrix (Hep A & B) combined if you plan on doing lots of travelling. A good mosquito repellant with deet is also recommended in the rain forest areas of Costa Rica.

Stay in the main touristy areas and you will not have a problem.

Thanks for all the responses. I am concerned because I have Diabetes and my husband has Asthma. I think we will get Hep A&B and use lots of Deet. Is Deet repellent enough? or do we have to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts. Thanks.

You will be miserable in long-sleeved shirts and long pants. The climate is extremely hot and humid, with little to no breeze. You might pass out from the heat if you dress like that! :eek: We saw no one in anything other than shorts, bermuda shorts or capri pants and s/s shirts.

My DH is also a diabetic and had no issues of any kind. What are you concerned about specifically? We took our "DEET" with us at each port stop & never had to use it even once - not even on our Forest Canopy Ride in Costa Rica!

Have a wonderful cruise & Smooth Sailing always!

Edited by luvs2travl

Thanks for all the responses. I am concerned because I have Diabetes and my husband has Asthma. I think we will get Hep A&B and use lots of Deet. Is Deet repellent enough? or do we have to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts. Thanks.

I have severe asthma, only 48% lung function left, and I've taken four full transits of the Panama Canal, and never got shots for those cruises. I did get the Hep A and B a few years ago, but that was for a cruise to Vietnam and Cambodia. At least for me, some of those bug sprays put me into an asthma attack, so you need to be careful of that.

We got the HepA/B, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid vaccinations before our Panama Canal cruise in 2007. They weren't required, but mosquitoes LOVE me, and I can get bit when no one else has even seen a bug. We never saw a pest, nor did I get bit on that trip.

Last year in Belize and Roatan, we did see lots of mosquitoes, and in spite of using DEET, I did get bit, and I developed cellulitis from the bite. (Thankfully, at home.)

This year we'll be reupping our Typhoid vaccination as typhoid is endemic on all the islands we'll be visiting in the Southern Caribbean.

While they're not required, I don't know why people don't have the vaccinations if they have no underlying health problems preventing immunization. Why chance it when there's a prevention? Talk to your doctor. Call your county travel nurse. It's a nuisance, but I'd sure rather have a few shots than get any of those diseases (and Typhoid and Hepatitis A can be food borne).

Robin

We did the Panama Canal from LA to FLA. We both got vaccinated for yellow fever. We did alot of research and yellow fever was a concern for those areas. Although unlikely, it was a possibility and we didnt want to take any chances.

We got the HepA/B, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid vaccinations before our Panama Canal cruise in 2007. They weren't required, but mosquitoes LOVE me, and I can get bit when no one else has even seen a bug. We never saw a pest, nor did I get bit on that trip.

Last year in Belize and Roatan, we did see lots of mosquitoes, and in spite of using DEET, I did get bit, and I developed cellulitis from the bite. (Thankfully, at home.)

This year we'll be reupping our Typhoid vaccination as typhoid is endemic on all the islands we'll be visiting in the Southern Caribbean.

While they're not required, I don't know why people don't have the vaccinations if they have no underlying health problems preventing immunization. Why chance it when there's a prevention? Talk to your doctor. Call your county travel nurse. It's a nuisance, but I'd sure rather have a few shots than get any of those diseases (and Typhoid and Hepatitis A can be food borne).

Robin

We did the Panama Canal from LA to FLA. We both got vaccinated for yellow fever. We did alot of research and yellow fever was a concern for those areas. Although unlikely, it was a possibility and we didnt want to take any chances.

Thanks. I am glad to see other people consider these vaccinations as much as I do. Are there any risks in getting the Yellow Fever Vaccine? Were there any side effects? We are planning to get Hep A & B and boost our MMR. I think we will consider adding Typhoid and Yellow Fever. I do not like taking chances with our health either. Mosquitoes love me as well. I get bit all the time.

Thanks again.

Thanks. I am glad to see other people consider these vaccinations as much as I do. Are there any risks in getting the Yellow Fever Vaccine? Were there any side effects? We are planning to get Hep A & B and boost our MMR. I think we will consider adding Typhoid and Yellow Fever. I do not like taking chances with our health either. Mosquitoes love me as well. I get bit all the time.

Thanks again.

There is a small chance of a serious side effect from the Yellow Fever vaccine. I'd suggest that you ask your doctor about this risk and any other factors unique to your health that should be considered.

If you plan any excursions into the forests of Panama or Costa Rica consider anti-malaria medication.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. :D (Just to be clear....)

I did have some side effects--a slight fever and aches--for a few days. There can be more serious side effects.

As always, be sure to talk to your doctor about this.

Robin

Just as a side note here. If you donate blood you will NOT be able to do so for a full year after your return. Both DH and I went to our local blood drive after we got back and the nurse there said that Costa Rica was the problem.:D

Melody

Add Honduras (includes Roatan), El Salvador and Nicaragua among others.

We have done quite a few full tansit cruises of the Panama Canal and have never had to worry about getting any special shots. WE did years ago get Hep A and B, thyphoid, etc shots because we have traveled to so many different places.

Unfortunately our yellow fever shots have expired and because of DH's health problems we are not able to get them anymore (they are good for only 10 years) so -- we are not able to do an Amazon cruise.

• 4 years later...

For those who have done this cruise before, did you take any excursions other than Hal ? were there places that you just felt safer on the boat? I guess my other question would be, what was so fantastic you were glad you didn't miss it ? OK, just thought of one more question... should I get some money exchanged here at home for local spending?

Edited by twosilly
Thought of more questions !

Wow! You really had to dig deep to find this thread. I have done a full transit twice, once on HAL. You do not need any local currency for any port on your cruise. The dollar is still king, and in fact, the US$ is the official currency in Panama.

As far as excursions go, are you asking about all of the ports, or just the Panama Canal? Have you joined the roll call for your cruise? Folks there will be full of excursion plans and may be looking for others to join them. Check out the Ports of Call forums for ideas. EM