Big Black Dick's rum available?

Joby

Hi,

I've read that you can no longer purchase Big Black Dick's rum by the bottle, only a small sampler pack. Is that correct?

I had read that Big Black Dick's also had coconut rum.

We had hoped to buy some to bring back home in January.

Does anyone know for sure?

Hi,

I've read that you can no longer purchase Big Black Dick's rum by the bottle, only a small sampler pack. Is that correct?

Last I new it was still available. As far as BBD rum they put more money in marketing then aging.

If you get a chance to sample rum, try Mount Gay, Bacardi 8 or Appleton Estate.

Hi caribsun,

we aren't big rum drinkers and aren't too knowledgeable about liquors in general but, we did buy some Don Q rum in San Juan for Pina Colada's and it was very good.

We like to buy things that aren't available here at home.

Are the 3 rums you mentioned widely available? Do you have other suggestions on good unique rums?

We'll be going to Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel (we're very familiar with Cozumel-we've been 4 times on land trips there).

We were there in September and one store said they were all sold out except for the small sampler pack but would get more in November. Another store told us the company was going out of business and there would not be any more. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Try some Havana Club rum if you get the chance. That and Ron Zapaca 20 year old are two of the best Ive had. If there ever was a sipping rum, these are it. You should be able to find both of these in Cayman, although they will be MUCH cheaper if you happen to be going to Belize or Honduras.

Try some Havana Club rum if you get the chance. That and Ron Zapaca 20 year old are two of the best Ive had. If there ever was a sipping rum, these are it. You should be able to find both of these in Cayman, although they will be MUCH cheaper if you happen to be going to Belize or Honduras.

Hi BigEarl,

those are both on my list and Mt. Gay Extra Old as well as Tortuga 12 yr. as a mixer.

I have found the price of in Cayman at Blackbeard's:

Havana is $14/750ml

Ron Zacapa 23 $35/liter

Mt. Gay Extra Old $19/liter

Tortuga 12 yr. ??

Are any of these still cheaper in Belize and/or Roatan--both of which we will be going to?

If so, do you know the prices and locations?

We go to Cayman 1st, just don't want to miss out on buyibg there if it's the best selection and/or price :)

Edited by Joby

Hi,

Hi Joby,

DW and I bought some BBD vanilla rum earlier this month on our stop Dec. 1 in GC on the Legend. It was at a t-shirt/souvenier store on the corner of Cardinal Ave. on the opposite side of the street from Kirk Freeport. The store was down a flight of stairs and the alcohol was in the back. The main rum sellers there were BBD and Blackbeards, and we got a free rum cake from purchasing some Blackbeards rum.

Hope this helps

• 10 months later...

I am bumping this thread in hopes of an updated answer.

We are heading on our cruise in 2 weeks and am hoping this rum is still available. Has anyone been there recently?

I am thinking it would be a great souvenir and a perfect xmas gift for friends:eek:

We are heading on our cruise in 2 weeks and am hoping this rum is still available. Has anyone been there recently?

I am thinking it would be a great souvenir and a perfect xmas gift for friends:eek:

We were in GC in July and brought home 2 large bottles (one light and one dark) and a sampler pack. You purchase the liquor in the store but the store delivers it to the ship. And of course, they deliver it to your stateroom (at least on Princess they did) on the last day. To be honest, it's not the best tasting rum I've ever had, but it definitely meets the great souvenier criteria. The vanilla rum was actually pretty good, but we only got the sampler of that, which wasn't much!

• 7 months later...

Stilll available! Buy 2 bottles for $24.99 and get the 4pack mini box for free! They told me that they have two new items coming out at the end of July. Dark Chocolate Rum Liqueur and White Chocolate Rum Liqueur.... can't wait for that.... the Coconut and the Vanilla are the best sipping rums I have tasted. Light and Dark great for making cocktails or even Rum and Cokes!

If you could get some BBD coasters, THEY would be a much better gift than the actual rum - it's really not something I'd give someone - especially if they'd make me a drink with it!!!

If you mean the East Caribbean Dollar, $31 ECD = $11.50 USD.

If you mean Cayman Islands Dollars, $31 CID = $ 36.9395 USD

I assume that CI on that website means Cayman Dollars. Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the size of the BBD bottles of rum? Are they worth $36.9395? :confused:

CI$31 = US$38.75

That would be a reasonable price to buy the rum for consumption on-island.

Most cruise ship visitors are buy liquor to take back home and can pay much lower prices at the duty free stores. MUCH lower.

CI$31 = US$38.75

Most cruise ship visitors are buy liquor to take back home and can pay much lower prices at the duty free stores. MUCH lower.

One thing I learned the hard way was to look at the booze, and booze prices in the duty free shop on the ship the first night. I lugged some booze around Nassau all day, only to see it for $1.00 more per bottle on the ship. Would have been worth the extra bucks to not have to lug that stuff around all day.

One thing I learned the hard way was to look at the booze, and booze prices in the duty free shop on the ship the first night. I lugged some booze around Nassau all day, only to see it for $1.00 more per bottle on the ship. Would have been worth the extra bucks to not have to lug that stuff around all day.

that's true...money wise the ship might not be much more. To me though, there is something to be said for buying it on the island itself than on the cruise ship. It's like buying real Cayman jewellry in Alaska. Just doesn't have the same authenticity to it.

that's true...money wise the ship might not be much more. To me though, there is something to be said for buying it on the island itself than on the cruise ship. It's like buying real Cayman jewellry in Alaska. Just doesn't have the same authenticity to it.

Well, if I'm buying Kahlua, and it's a buck more on the ship, that works for me. One of the items I picked up in Nassau was not available on the ship, so that's a no brainer.

Looking for some interesting local rum this trip.

CI$31 = US$38.75

Does the ship carry Big Black Dick Rum? I don't think I have ever seen it on board.

Does the ship carry Big Black Dick Rum? I don't think I have ever seen it on board.

I have never seen it either. I am definitely going to pick up a bottle while I am there. The name alone is worth the $$. :p