Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

Our first cruise ship was the Mercury on a little 3 day out of Seattle....after we were hooked. The next was the Oosterdam out of San Diego and that still remains our favorite ship. We board her Saturday for our 3rd trip on her.

Tayo and Kristy

My first cruise was on Carnival around 1977 or 1978. My parents took 2 kids (of 4) every year or 2 and eventually switched to NCL after a few years. I went on 3, 7 day cruises as a teen. They then quit taking us on cruises and I got to travel to England in college for a week as I was one of two who wasn't married..

I never cruised again until 1995!!! I convinced my DH to do a 7 day carnival. It was ok but not great so "cruise" didn't come up in our vacation plans until 4 years ago. The Zaandam cruise changed all perceptions! It was great. We have since planned Christmas cruises as a tradition! The best vacation is using every day kids are out of school, so the 15 day Hawaii circle is great. We will try to fly in a day early so we can go to the San Diego Zoo.

John, thank you for researching RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas - I thought she was drydocked shortly after our cruise but apparently not!

The info about RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas was interesting as well - we also travelled on that ship!

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Our first cruise ship was the Mercury on a little 3 day out of Seattle....after we were hooked. The next was the Oosterdam out of San Diego and that still remains our favorite ship. We board her Saturday for our 3rd trip on her.

Tayo and Kristy

Ship+Photo+Celebrity+Mercury.jpg

mv Celebrity Mercury (1997-present) Built in 1997 by the Meyer Werft Shipyard, Papenburg, Germany for Celebrity Cruises. Third and last of the Century class (Century & Galaxy being the first two)

My first cruise was a three night quickie to the Bahamas on Eastern Steamship in 1972 with a girlfriend- just out of college and on our own. My husband and I took our first cruise in 1982 on the Mardi Gras - western Caribbean. Nothing is ever quite as much fun as the first time.

in 1983 the Mexican Rivaira starting at Puerto Verades and ending in Los Angeles. This was a picture of after it sold to MSC and the name changed to Rhapsody....but its the very same Princess we first went on.

2952755774_c7f0015090.jpg?v=0

We loved crusing...but unfortunately having children and life got in the way. So its taken us 25 years to book another cruise. I hope we can do another one after this coming trip soon...but with the economy...we took to big of a hit. Luckily we paid for our trip now before stocks crashed.

Our first cruise was on the Mardi Gras in 1983. We took our 11 month old daughter with us (she is now 26). At that time Carnival had three ships and no program for children, but the whole crew adopted Shoshana. Every day she was allowed to visit Capt Mario on the bridge (he missed his grandchildren). She took her first steps on the ship so I guess you could say she got her sea legs first. Shoshana and her husband will again be joining us next May on the Amsterdam to Alaska. All of our children have cruised with us over the years. Seeing the world through their eyes has been a great addition to our own memories.

Ron:)

My first cruise was on Carnival's Carnivale - former Empress of Britain. Baltimore to Bermuda - 7 days. Three ladies in an inside cabin. No electrical outlets in the cabin. Toilet was in the shower. But I was hooked!

15 cruises since then and 5 more booked. Never did Carnival again, despite the fact that this first cruise was wonderful.

Totals:

Carnival - 1

NCL - 1

Princess - 1

Celebrity - 6 including Azamara (3 booked)

RC - 4 - (1 booked)

HAL - 3 - (1 booked)

Cruise line powers that be, please note that I sailed 10 times from East Coast ports I that I could drive or take a bus to, and 2 of the booked cruises are from East Coast ports. That means that more than half of my completed and booked cruises are from East Coast ports.

With my finances waning, I will be most likely in future to book cruises that I can drive to. Cruise vacations are still a good value, but added airfare changes that picture. Not to mention the incredible hassle of flying!

My dad was an Army officer, and my mom hated to fly. So when we got stationed in Germany, we went over on the military transport, SS Rose. It was a ten day crossing. That was in February of '62 - from New York to Bremerhaven. We came back in the summer of '66 onboard the SS Buckner - another 10 day crossing. Neither, as I remember, was the lap of luxury, but as a child everything is fun. When my Dad once again got orders for Europe - this time Rome - we sailed on the Constitution. That was in the summer of '68. This was a real cruise ship with passengers sailing from New York to the Med and back again. We were only onboard for 8 days (the crossing, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Palma, Marseilles, and we got off in Naples). I have very fond memories of that trip. My brother and I were teenagers and we had the time of our lives. I heard the Constitution, and her sister ship the Independence, eventually did island hops in Hawaii, and are now both decommissioned. Fast forward to 2008 - after 30 years of marriage I have finally convinced my DH to take me on a cruise! We sail on the Westerdam for 7 days on Nov 16! I can't wait!

My first ship was the Triton, an Epirotiki ship that sailed in the Greek Islands. The year was around 1989 and it was a portion of a 2 week trip to Greece that included the 5 day cruise. She was an old ship even then.

A friend and I were planning the trip (we were younger and poorer in those days ;) ) and I remember the TA recommending that we upgrade to a outside cabin... we had to go out into the hall to discuss it as it meant spending $50 a person more. We decided to go with the outside and I have never regretted it. One of my favorite photos is still a shot I took looking out our porthole at the ancient ruins of Rhodes.

I know :( !! After I posted, I googled her and found out she had sunk while on her way to be sold for scrap in the Far East someplace. How sad! But I also found out - and didn't know - that she was the ship used in my favorite movie - An Affair to Remember, and she was featured on the I Love Lucy Shows when they went to Europe and also, Princess Grace sailed on her to meet Prince Ranier for their wedding. And she was also used for a Magnum PI episode. So even though she's at the bottom of the sea, she lives on! Side bar: I also found out her sister ship, the Independence, was recommissioned and is in Dubai.

I know :( !! After I posted, I googled her and found out she had sunk while on her way to be sold for scrap in the Far East someplace. How sad! But I also found out - and didn't know - that she was the ship used in my favorite movie - An Affair to Remember, and she was featured on the I Love Lucy Shows when they went to Europe and also, Princess Grace sailed on her to meet Prince Ranier for their wedding. And she was also used for a Magnum PI episode. So even though she's at the bottom of the sea, she lives on! Side bar: I also found out her sister ship, the Independence, was recommissioned and is in Dubai.

connie.jpg

Ship+Photo+CONSTITUTION.jpg

ss Constitution (1951-1997) Built in 1951 by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation of Quincy, Mass. as an ocean liner for American Export Lines, she initially sailed on the New York-Genoa-Naples and Gibraltar route to Europe. She was a sister ship to the ss Independence. Constitution was to become quite a movie star, first being featured in several episodes of the television situation comedy "I Love Lucy" and in 1957, in the film, "An Affair to Remember".

Following service for American Export's "Sunlane" cruises to Europe in the fifties and sixties, Constitution was laid up in Jacksonville, Fl in 1968. In January 1974, both Constitution and Independence were sold to the Atlantic Far East Line Inc. While her sister recommenced sailing from their new home, Constitution, by then renamed Oceanic Constitution, remained laid up at Hong Kong. In 1980, after receiving a refit in Taiwan, she was transferred to U.S. based American Hawaii Cruises and departed for Honolulu, Hi. Upon arrival there, she was re-christened "Constitution" by Princess Grace of Monaco. She commenced inter-island cruising out of Honolulu in June 1982. She also revived her movie career when, in 1986, several shots of the Magnum P.I. episode "All Thieves on Deck," were filmed on her.

In 1996, American Hawaii Cruises decided to retire the forty-six year old Constitution due to high running costs and required renovation and she was laid up at Portland, Ore. While under tow by the Chinese Ocean-going tug De Da to an Asian breaker yard, twelve days after departure, she started to take on water and due to her imminent sinking, the tug's crew cut her loose. On November 17, 1997 she slipped beneath the waves to her final resting place, 700 miles north of the Hawaiian Islands..

SS_Constitution.jpg

My first ship was the Triton, an Epirotiki ship that sailed in the Greek Islands. The year was around 1989 and it was a portion of a 2 week trip to Greece that included the 5 day cruise. She was an old ship even then.

A friend and I were planning the trip (we were younger and poorer in those days ;) ) and I remember the TA recommending that we upgrade to a outside cabin... we had to go out into the hall to discuss it as it meant spending $50 a person more. We decided to go with the outside and I have never regretted it. One of my favorite photos is still a shot I took looking out our porthole at the ancient ruins of Rhodes.

Ship+Photo+Cunard+Adventurer.jpg

Cunard Adventurer (1971-present) Delivered in 1971, Cunard Adventurer was one of a series of small, cruise-oriented vessels the line operated at that time. She operated for Cunard until 1977 when she was sold to Norwegian Caribbean Line and renamed Sunward II. She was sold to Epirotiki Line (Greece) as Triton in 1991 and then passed to the combined Royal Olympic Cruises fleet in 1995. Following the collapse of Royal Olympic, Triton was sold to Louis Hellenic Cruises at public auction in 2005 who renamed her "Coral". She is currently sailing for Louis under that name.

Ship+Photo+Triton.jpg

Ship+Photo+Coral.jpg

We had a great trip, on Constitution, 12-84, San Francisco to Honolulu, via Los Angeles. She had been in The City getting her bottom scraped and repainted, and was on her way back to Honolulu for her Islands cruises.

1st night, a stowaway was found, taken ashore in Los Angeles in handcuffs (probably a drunk who failed to disembark after a Bon Voyage party in San Francisco).

Rough trip across the Pacific, tablecloths wetted down and lips on tables up in Dining Room in futile attempt to keep plates on tables.

Man overboard call couple nights before Honolulu. Ship turned around, commenced search while head count was done of PAX and crew. No one missing, apparent bad call (good intent). The crew had been dumping garbage (legal in those days), and it was believed someone saw garbage floating, mistook it for a person, and raised the alarm.

Still 24 hrs from Honolulu, USAF/USMC choppers, along with a USAF tanker plane, rendevouzed with ship, and conducted medical evacuation (in heavy seas). Ship's band played martial music in salute, and Captain gave very long blast on ship's whistle in recognition of a job very well done.

Nice ship, Constitution.

My dad was an Army officer, and my mom hated to fly. So when we got stationed in Germany, we went over on the military transport, SS Rose. It was a ten day crossing. That was in February of '62 - from New York to Bremerhaven. We came back in the summer of '66 onboard the SS Buckner - another 10 day crossing. Neither, as I remember, was the lap of luxury, but as a child everything is fun. When my Dad once again got orders for Europe - this time Rome - we sailed on the Constitution. That was in the summer of '68. This was a real cruise ship with passengers sailing from New York to the Med and back again. We were only onboard for 8 days (the crossing, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Palma, Marseilles, and we got off in Naples). I have very fond memories of that trip. My brother and I were teenagers and we had the time of our lives. I heard the Constitution, and her sister ship the Independence, eventually did island hops in Hawaii, and are now both decommissioned. Fast forward to 2008 - after 30 years of marriage I have finally convinced my DH to take me on a cruise! We sail on the Westerdam for 7 days on Nov 16! I can't wait!

092212611.jpg

USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (1945-1997) Laid down on 24 April 1944, under Maritime Commission contract at Bethleham-Alameda Shipyard Inc., Alameda, CA. Delivered as USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (AP-126) on 7 July 1945. She was decommissioned on 14 May 1946 at New York and commissioned as USAT General Maurice Rose on 1 August 1946. She was reacquired by the U.S. Navy on 1 March 1950, renamed USNS General Maurice Rose (T-AP-126) and assigned to the Military Sea Transport Service (MSTS). Manned by a civilian crew, she operated out of New York in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean during the next 15 years.

Steaming primarily between New York and Bremerhaven, Germany, she completed more than 150 round-trip voyages while carrying military dependents and European refugees and rotating combat-ready troops. In addition, the ship deployed to the Mediterranean 17 times to support U.S. 6th Fleet operations. Following the abortive Hungarian revolution in October 1956, she completed three runs to Bremerhaven and back between 12 January and 27 March 1957 transporting Hungarian refugees to the United Stares. On three occasions between 1 April and 5 October, she was dispatched to the eastern Med to support units of the U.S. 6th Fleet responding to political crises in Jordan.

General Maurice Rose departed New York on 14 August 1965 for transport duty to southeast Asia. She sailed via Long Beach, CA and Pearl Harbor, Hi to Qui Nhon, South Vietnam, where she arrived on 14 September and began debarking troops and supplies. After departing Vietnam on the 19th, she steamed via Okinawa, Japan and the U.S/ West Coast and reached New York on 18 October.

During the first eight months of 1966, she made eight round-trip runs to Europe and back. On 8 September, she again departed New York for troop lift duty to South Vietnam. She operated in the Western Pacific through the end of 1966. She then returned to New York in late in January 1967 for an overhaul and was placed in ready reserve status.

General Maurice Rose was placed in ready reserve status and laid up in the Cavin Point Army Depot in New York harbor in 1967. She was transferred to the permanent custody of the Maritime Administration on 30 June 1970 and shifted to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Fort Eustis, Va. On 20 August 1990, she was struck from the Naval Register and in June 1997, she was sold by the Maritime Administration for scrapping by the at the International Shipbreaking Co. at Brownsville, Texas.

092212302.jpg

Admiral E. W. Eberle (1945-1999) Laid down on 15 February 1943 under Maritime Commission contract at Bethlehem-Alameda Shipyard Inc., Alameda, CA. Delivered as USS Admiral E. W. Eberle (AP-123) on 24 January 1945. She was decommissioned on 8 May 1946 and commissioned into Army Transportation Service (ATS) as USAT Admiral E.W. Eberle. She was reacquired by the U.S. Navy on 1 March 1950, renamed USNS General Simon B. Buckner (T-AP-123) and assigned to the Military Sea Transport Service.

She steamed across the Pacific throughout the Korean conflict, transporting troops and equipment to Japan and other staging areas. General Simon B. Buckner continued operations in the Pacific until 15 February 1955, when she departed San Francisco, bound for New York. Upon arrival two weeks later, she was assigned to the New York-Bremerhaven, Germany runs. During the next 10 years, she made over 130 Atlantic voyages from New York to Bremerhaven, Southampton, England and ports in the Mediterranean.

Departing New York on 11 August 1965, she returned to the west coast, arriving at Long Beach, CA on the 27th to assist in the movement of troops and equipment to southeast Asia. After two cruises to Vietnam, the veteran transport resumed operation in the Atlantic, arriving at New York on 3 December, 1965. During the next eight months, she steamed across the Atlantic 10 times, making stops at Bremerhaven and Southampton. Returning to the west coast in August 1966, General Simon B. Buckner was once again pressed into service to carry war material to Vietnam. She departed San Francisco on 8 September and reached Danang, South Vietnam 20 days later.

Following her return to San Francisco, CA on 16 October 1966, she continued to support American operations in southeast Asia until President Nixon's Vietnamization program decreased the Navy's need for transports. She was returned to the Maritime Administration on 24 March 1970 and laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. She was dismantled in May 1999 at the International Shipbreaking Co., Brownsville, TX

What a great question! Aside from time in the Canadian Navy, my first cruise with family was on the Oriana - Hawaii to Auckland in the 1960's. Had a great trip. Then we took the Patris (Chandris Lines) to Melborne. The ship was a disgrace as far as cleanliness and caring staff was concerned!! Made me leary of Celebrity since they use the same logo. But the transformation to Celebrity must have been good as we have sailed many times with them and enjoy them almost as much as HAL. To continue, we left Sydney on the old Canberra and finished their world cruise ending up in Southhampton. That was a wonderful cruise as well. Oh well, many good memories. Thanks for the question. Ron

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

Ship+Photo+VIKING+SERENADE.jpg

Viking Serenade (still sailing today as Island Escape)

Ship+Photo+ISLAND+ESCAPE.jpg

First Cruise, before marriage was on Hellenic Cruises (AKA Kavounides Shipping Co.) "Orion" 1970 in the Greek Islands..Worked for a European Airline & was able to get a 7 day cruise at a good interline rate..It hooked me for life..Wish I could find a picture, but only have a few slides...But have the mimeographed daily programs & the Capt's dinner Menu..LOL

First Cruise after Marriage, was 1983 on Norwegian Caribbean's "Southward".. Still worked for an airline & had to convince DH & Dear Friends (who also were airline employees) that a cruise is something they would enjoy & never forget..Took me a long time to convince them all & believe they only did it just to get me get off their backs..I'm occasionally like a dog with a bone..We all still talk about that first cruise & our fantastic Waiter & Assistant Waiter..Of course, we're all hooked now! None of us have ever had a bad cruise! :D

Counting down the months, days, hours till our next cruise in Nov. 2009.. :( :(

Cheers..:) Betty

I was 14 when we sailed on the Constitution. My brother was 13. I remember there being a lot of teens on that ship. After several complaints, we were told we could only use one specific elevator, leaving the rest for the other passengers. I can't recall, but I guess we were all spending too much time going up and down in the elevators. They also confined us to one lounge - the Oak lounge, as I recall. But don't quote me - this was 40 years ago! I do, however, remember very distinctly, that every night we would all cram into one stateroom and order ice cream from room service. I'm sure we drove everyone else crazy! I don't remember any rough days during the crossing. But I do remember having a rough day when we were suppose to tender into Sardinia. Goren the bridge great was onboard, as were an entire group that had paid to learn at his knee. The captain decided, since most of them were quite older, not to attempt to let them board the tenders, so we didn't get to go to Sardinia. And I say, quite older - they were probably my age now :D , but they seemed old at the time! Other memories include skeet shooting and hot bouillon off the back of the boat in the mornings, the high sided pool with the salt water going back and forth with the motion of the ship, and the guy with the bells that called us to dinner. Do they still do that anymore? Ah, good times.....

Ours was on the Home Lines' Atlantic from NYC to Bermuda. [Anyone know what happened to her?] Did we get hooked? Just look at my sig! And yet, have never received the same high level of food and service as on the Atlantic. Maybe now on HAL?? I'm hoping, but fear those days are gone forever.