James Tours

Katiekakes

His website (which has contact info) is listed earlier in this thread, several times. Right on page 1.

Hope this helps.

This is my first time joining thank you so much.we were looking at things to do in the Caribbean and St.Lucia looks like the place to experience the Caribbean,one problem with St.Lucia after reading all the reviews on Spencer,Cosol,James .I thinks there is too much bad mouthing each other to stay on top and that can be very bad for the island people.

Edited by bettercup

This is my first time joining thank you so much.we were looking at things to do in the Caribbean and St.Lucia looks like the place to experience the Caribbean,one problem with St.Lucia after reading all the reviews on Spencer,Cosol,James .I thinks there is too much bad mouthing each other to stay on top and that can be very bad for the island people.

Welcome to CC - tons and tons of info about cruising on these boards - enjoy sorting throug it all! One thing to try and kep in mind is that CC represents a very, very small portion of the cruising public - a vast majority of cruisers either don't know about or don't use CC, so rate reviews and board discussions accordingly - it is a very small snapshot of the overall cruise experience. The vast majority of cruisers have a great time and don't use CC at all!

The negative reviews are from actual guests, not from the tour operators - unless they are really taking their time to write up false reviews, which I doubt! some people do have somewhat negative expereiences with any tour operator around the world, not everything goes perfect every time. That said, all of the tour operators you mentioned above have far higher positive reviews than negatives - all of them offer similar experiences and they all rate very high both on here and on TripAdvisor (sister company to CC) I am sure you would have a great time with any of them.

St. Lucia is a truly beautiful island, still pretty undeveloped and has so far retained its' Caribbean feel. We have stunning scenery, great food, friendly locals, and and beautiful beaches along with lots of history. It's a great place to explore - and a tour is a very good way to go as the roads are not the best and road markings are fairly non-existent. Also - very little around the port area itself - Castries town is very much a working city and is not very pretty to just wander through (just telling it like I see it!) I do hope you find a tour that suits you!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about St. Lucia - or search these boards for posts pertaining to what you may be looking for. Again - loads and loads of info available here.

Welcome to CC - tons and tons of info about cruising on these boards - enjoy sorting throug it all! One thing to try and kep in mind is that CC represents a very, very small portion of the cruising public - a vast majority of cruisers either don't know about or don't use CC, so rate reviews and board discussions accordingly - it is a very small snapshot of the overall cruise experience. The vast majority of cruisers have a great time and don't use CC at all!

The negative reviews are from actual guests, not from the tour operators - unless they are really taking their time to write up false reviews, which I doubt! some people do have somewhat negative expereiences with any tour operator around the world, not everything goes perfect every time. That said, all of the tour operators you mentioned above have far higher positive reviews than negatives - all of them offer similar experiences and they all rate very high both on here and on TripAdvisor (sister company to CC) I am sure you would have a great time with any of them.

St. Lucia is a truly beautiful island, still pretty undeveloped and has so far retained its' Caribbean feel. We have stunning scenery, great food, friendly locals, and and beautiful beaches along with lots of history. It's a great place to explore - and a tour is a very good way to go as the roads are not the best and road markings are fairly non-existent. Also - very little around the port area itself - Castries town is very much a working city and is not very pretty to just wander through (just telling it like I see it!) I do hope you find a tour that suits you!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about St. Lucia - or search these boards for posts pertaining to what you may be looking for. Again - loads and loads of info available here.

I am interested in the History of the Anglican Church and the History of St.Lucia.

1.Distribution of indians around the island.

2.Centralization of the sugar industry in St.Lucia.

3.The coaling industry in Castries.

4.Military tramway to Morne fortune.

5.Marronage and refugees.

6.Working sugar estates in St.Lucia.

7.plan of attack the Great Battle of Cul de sac December 1778.

I am interested in the History of the Anglican Church and the History of St.Lucia.

1.Distribution of indians around the island.

2.Centralization of the sugar industry in St.Lucia.

3.The coaling industry in Castries.

4.Military tramway to Morne fortune.

5.Marronage and refugees.

6.Working sugar estates in St.Lucia.

7.plan of attack the Great Battle of Cul de sac December 1778.

there are no tours that cover all of this - or even much of this. Most tours are about the sights of St. Lucia, not so much of the history - although it is all around the island. Pigeon Island is a very good stop for some history and lovely sights. Sight of the old Fort Rodney with lots of ruins to wander through, small museum with some of the British history and also some of the pirate history), 2 hills for hiking and old fort ruins (overlooking Rodney Bay and Martinique), small pretty beach, 2 great restaurants.

A great book to pick up on island that would detail lots of what you are looking for would be A History of St. Lucia by Jolien Harmsen, Guy Ellis and Robert Devaux. It is a fairly exhaustive look at the history and development of St. Lucia. Available at Sunshine bookstores around the island and at Pigeon Island. Here's a link with some info about it:

http://reefstlucia.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope that helps. Enjoy your visit.

Thanks for a balanced response. I asked this on another thread, but I figured I go to the source! Anyway, we really like the land and sea excursion. I'm a bit of a risk taker, but with others, I don't like to push the envelope.. so to speak. Anyway, from posts and other sites, I do like Spencer Ambrose's tour the most. And, it is a bit less than one offered by Princess cruise. Still, I did read a few comments about his organizations skills. Do you think he is just having some growing pains and by March 2013, he'll be set? Of course, I have no idea who Princess uses, so I may have the same issue with them. Of course Princess does a good job with the satisfaction factor.

And yes, I do recall reading a few others, Herods, serenity, etc.

So would you have any apprehension on going with Spencer? Again, I'm wondering if certain folks caught him at just a bad time.

Thanks for your comments to the board.:)

Thanks for a balanced response. I asked this on another thread, but I figured I go to the source! Anyway, we really like the land and sea excursion. I'm a bit of a risk taker, but with others, I don't like to push the envelope.. so to speak. Anyway, from posts and other sites, I do like Spencer Ambrose's tour the most. And, it is a bit less than one offered by Princess cruise. Still, I did read a few comments about his organizations skills. Do you think he is just having some growing pains and by March 2013, he'll be set? Of course, I have no idea who Princess uses, so I may have the same issue with them. Of course Princess does a good job with the satisfaction factor.

And yes, I do recall reading a few others, Herods, serenity, etc.

So would you have any apprehension on going with Spencer? Again, I'm wondering if certain folks caught him at just a bad time.

Thanks for your comments to the board.:)

I personally would have absolutely no hesitation either touring with Spencer or recommending him. I am pretty sure the few bad reviews about some organizational disorder were more of a one-off or very busy day or maybe one of his boats was out - there was about 2 months this past year when one of his boats actually had been stolen from the "secure" harbor in Rodney Bay where he keeps them overnight - that would put a serious cramp in his being able to organize as many people and for those months, he was having to use other people's boats for some of the return rides i.e. adding them into boats already on other tours, etc. Could be some of these reviews were from that time. Over all, he is pretty organized - and as you can see form the vast majority of positive reviews - and repeat customers - he does a great job.

That said - pretty much all the others who offer the same tour option do a very good job too - it's hard to screw up a tour in such a beautiful place! When every turn on the road or bend of the coastline offers another dramatic beautiful view - basically, the drivers just have to drive and the island itself does the rest!!

Read the reviews on TA also - they do present a somewhat different view from here as those are more often land guests and they may do more than one tour with a company and definitely have a different take on the tours themselves - same tours as offered for cruise guests.

Generally speaking, the ship tours will be much larger groups, while the independent operators will be much smaller groups. The vans used by the independent guys seat 14 max and for tours are usually only 12 at the most. Some of the ships tours are on the order of 40 passenger buses - so that can make a big difference in the feel of a tour.

I am sure you would enjoy whomever you decide to go with - St. Lucia and the West Coast is not to be missed!

Enjoy!

I personally would have absolutely no hesitation either touring with Spencer or recommending him. I am pretty sure the few bad reviews about some organizational disorder were more of a one-off or very busy day or maybe one of his boats was out - there was about 2 months this past year when one of his boats actually had been stolen from the "secure" harbor in Rodney Bay where he keeps them overnight - that would put a serious cramp in his being able to organize as many people and for those months, he was having to use other people's boats for some of the return rides i.e. adding them into boats already on other tours, etc. Could be some of these reviews were from that time. Over all, he is pretty organized - and as you can see form the vast majority of positive reviews - and repeat customers - he does a great job.

That said - pretty much all the others who offer the same tour option do a very good job too - it's hard to screw up a tour in such a beautiful place! When every turn on the road or bend of the coastline offers another dramatic beautiful view - basically, the drivers just have to drive and the island itself does the rest!!

Read the reviews on TA also - they do present a somewhat different view from here as those are more often land guests and they may do more than one tour with a company and definitely have a different take on the tours themselves - same tours as offered for cruise guests.

Generally speaking, the ship tours will be much larger groups, while the independent operators will be much smaller groups. The vans used by the independent guys seat 14 max and for tours are usually only 12 at the most. Some of the ships tours are on the order of 40 passenger buses - so that can make a big difference in the feel of a tour.

I am sure you would enjoy whomever you decide to go with - St. Lucia and the West Coast is not to be missed!

Enjoy!

How safe is the boat we have 55 people in your group and my mom would never get in a speed boat.we are looking for a land tour and tour guide with less bad reviews.have you taken a tour with Spencer and why you only recommend his company.The family definitely want a Catamaran boat with food and drinks drinks for 45 people,my mom and rest of the family want a history tour.

Bettercup - I have recommended many other tour companies for different tours - Redwing asked specifically about Spencer in relation to other tour companies. Spencer does not have boats large enough for your group - hence he wouldn't be a good fit for your group! Mystic Man, Bateau Mygo, Endless Summer, Carnival, and SeaSpray cruises all offer catamaran tours on larger cats that can generally accommodate larger groups - each one has different sizes it can handle, so you would need to check. Also, a private charter may be slightly more, but you would have the boat to yourself and can customize drinks, food and stops to your groups taste.

I did suggest several other touring alternatives to you that covered some of the history you said you were looking for - also, you did not mention the very large size of your group. Doing a land/sea tour combo with that large of a group will see your group splint in to several vans for the land portion and perhaps several boats for the sea portion - the small tour companies do not have large yachts or huge cats - they are small, 14 seater vans and smaller, 10-20 person boats. So, your group would be split up - still all the same stops together, but not all together in the vehicles. Our roads simply won't accommodate huge touring buses that seat 80 or 100 people!

for a sea tour that also includes the volcano and botanical gardens and views of the Pitons and usually some time at the beach between the Pitons, definitely consider the companies listed above. All are highly rated also - personally, I would go with either Mystic Man or SeaSpray or first, then Bateau Mygo, then check out the others if those don't work. They all offer very similar set tours, but for a private charter, can set anything along the coast you want. And with 45 people, it would basically be a private charter!

As for your history tour - I did list some sights that would be part of that and noted that there really aren't any tour companies that do specific history tours of the sort you were looking into. Any taxi driver can take you to the sites I listed earlier, and the rest of your group can explore them at their leisure - and definitely pick up the book. Unfortunately though, there really is no 1 tour that encompasses all of those different aspects - or even a majority of them. If you truly want a tour for Pigeon Island, Serenity TVL is very good - they will take your group over and arrange chairs, leave a cooler of drinks and point out the facilities, etc. The tour guide stays around the area, and can aswer some questions, but the majority of Pigeon Island is on their own - the museum, hikes, etc. Serenity TVL is a first class operation. To me though - it seems silly to pay extra for what is basically a free experience. The only thing a tour of PI may be a better option is for transportation purposes. A taxi will cost $70US r/t for up to 4 people, while a tour group may have larger transportation options. Otherwise, PI is $5US pp entry fee and you can use the facilities, hike at will, tour the museum and ruins, etc at your leisure.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. Enjoy your trips!

Bettercup - I have recommended many other tour companies for different tours - Redwing asked specifically about Spencer in relation to other tour companies. Spencer does not have boats large enough for your group - hence he wouldn't be a good fit for your group! Mystic Man, Bateau Mygo, Endless Summer, Carnival, and SeaSpray cruises all offer catamaran tours on larger cats that can generally accommodate larger groups - each one has different sizes it can handle, so you would need to check. Also, a private charter may be slightly more, but you would have the boat to yourself and can customize drinks, food and stops to your groups taste.

I did suggest several other touring alternatives to you that covered some of the history you said you were looking for - also, you did not mention the very large size of your group. Doing a land/sea tour combo with that large of a group will see your group splint in to several vans for the land portion and perhaps several boats for the sea portion - the small tour companies do not have large yachts or huge cats - they are small, 14 seater vans and smaller, 10-20 person boats. So, your group would be split up - still all the same stops together, but not all together in the vehicles. Our roads simply won't accommodate huge touring buses that seat 80 or 100 people!

for a sea tour that also includes the volcano and botanical gardens and views of the Pitons and usually some time at the beach between the Pitons, definitely consider the companies listed above. All are highly rated also - personally, I would go with either Mystic Man or SeaSpray or first, then Bateau Mygo, then check out the others if those don't work. They all offer very similar set tours, but for a private charter, can set anything along the coast you want. And with 45 people, it would basically be a private charter!

As for your history tour - I did list some sights that would be part of that and noted that there really aren't any tour companies that do specific history tours of the sort you were looking into. Any taxi driver can take you to the sites I listed earlier, and the rest of your group can explore them at their leisure - and definitely pick up the book. Unfortunately though, there really is no 1 tour that encompasses all of those different aspects - or even a majority of them. If you truly want a tour for Pigeon Island, Serenity TVL is very good - they will take your group over and arrange chairs, leave a cooler of drinks and point out the facilities, etc. The tour guide stays around the area, and can aswer some questions, but the majority of Pigeon Island is on their own - the museum, hikes, etc. Serenity TVL is a first class operation. To me though - it seems silly to pay extra for what is basically a free experience. The only thing a tour of PI may be a better option is for transportation purposes. A taxi will cost $70US r/t for up to 4 people, while a tour group may have larger transportation options. Otherwise, PI is $5US pp entry fee and you can use the facilities, hike at will, tour the museum and ruins, etc at your leisure.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. Enjoy your trips!

Reedprincess-I email Sea Spray cruise and they recommend James Touring Service as one of the best touring company in St.Lucia doing Business with Sea Spray Cruise.we are very happy to book with James tours and Sea Spray Cruise 3 Nov Jewel of the Seas.

Reedprincess-I email Sea Spray cruise and they recommend James Touring Service as one of the best touring company in St.Lucia doing Business with Sea Spray Cruise.we are very happy to book with James tours and Sea Spray Cruise 3 Nov Jewel of the Seas.

Great - glad you found a company to work with. James is very good on service and SeaSpray is excellent. Enjoy your visit.

thanks for the poster for these great pictures. I had been going thru my business cards from our past feb cruises on Adventure of the seas. As we did not book a tour on the ship we decided to go out to the vendors and see what was offered. It was raining. All I know is ...this is the beautiful island that a few seasons ago the Bachelor was there filming! Oh could I get close enough to see the resort they went to? Well after purchasing a 4 hour tour and waiting for about an hour for some reason....when it started to become more than an hour and half and I was getting irritated...when were put with James in his van with all spanish speaking guests who were part of a four van tour. of all the guests James and us were the only english speaking guests. We felt bad as this was a private arranged tour with the other ship that was there with us and their guide "promised to moved from vehicle to vehicle" to talk to them. Yes that didn't happen until the end. Anyways, this gentleman was fantastic and I really felt he was just talking to us. James felt bad that he couldn't communicate with them better and one young lady did know a little english and had a book to point words to me to ask James. What do you know? He is a major bachelor fan. When we didn't go to the volcano as it was pouring and many of our guests were in white slacks and heels..(someone didn't give them the memo that walking and climbing was involved) and they communicated they didn't want to pay anything extra.( fee to get into waterfalls as well as volcano....they thought was paid for in tour...our ticket clearly stated it was extra) James took us to a look out that low and behold....the skies cleared and there was the resort...wow...he explained the waterfall he was taking us to was also filmed. It looked so much larger on tv but it was beautiful and a great bathroom break. We did see the guy walking with the snake. I just wanted to be as far away as possible. Yes I dislike these big ones and some of the most poisonous are in the rain forrest. They do not use mongoose here. Snakes are too big. James took us to so many neat sites that were not on the original tour but due to the weather and the mud from slides still not being really stable, we felt we got more than our money's worth unlike our other guests in the van. Would I use him again? Can't wait to see him again in February. We are traveling with another couple so before too long we want to get our tours lined up. Thank you James for a great visit to St Lucia and your kindness. What a great island to visit and his hospitality is geniune.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks for the poster for these great pictures. I had been going thru my business cards from our past feb cruises on Adventure of the seas. As we did not book a tour on the ship we decided to go out to the vendors and see what was offered. It was raining. All I know is ...this is the beautiful island that a few seasons ago the Bachelor was there filming! Oh could I get close enough to see the resort they went to? Well after purchasing a 4 hour tour and waiting for about an hour for some reason....when it started to become more than an hour and half and I was getting irritated...when were put with James in his van with all spanish speaking guests who were part of a four van tour. of all the guests James and us were the only english speaking guests. We felt bad as this was a private arranged tour with the other ship that was there with us and their guide "promised to moved from vehicle to vehicle" to talk to them. Yes that didn't happen until the end. Anyways, this gentleman was fantastic and I really felt he was just talking to us. James felt bad that he couldn't communicate with them better and one young lady did know a little english and had a book to point words to me to ask James. What do you know? He is a major bachelor fan. When we didn't go to the volcano as it was pouring and many of our guests were in white slacks and heels..(someone didn't give them the memo that walking and climbing was involved) and they communicated they didn't want to pay anything extra.( fee to get into waterfalls as well as volcano....they thought was paid for in tour...our ticket clearly stated it was extra) James took us to a look out that low and behold....the skies cleared and there was the resort...wow...he explained the waterfall he was taking us to was also filmed. It looked so much larger on tv but it was beautiful and a great bathroom break. We did see the guy walking with the snake. I just wanted to be as far away as possible. Yes I dislike these big ones and some of the most poisonous are in the rain forrest. They do not use mongoose here. Snakes are too big. James took us to so many neat sites that were not on the original tour but due to the weather and the mud from slides still not being really stable, we felt we got more than our money's worth unlike our other guests in the van. Would I use him again? Can't wait to see him again in February. We are traveling with another couple so before too long we want to get our tours lined up. Thank you James for a great visit to St Lucia and your kindness. What a great island to visit and his hospitality is geniune.

any poisonous snakes in the volcano?

any poisonous snakes in the volcano?

No, not in the volcano or around the tour area - you will be perfectly safe from them there - and all around the island - they are mainly only found in the rainforest. The snake man by the side of the road has a boa constricter - not poisenous snakes.]

Enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a smaller tour group in St Lucia? I saw James' website, but it looks like he has grown to taking out groups of 15 plus plus. I'd like a smaller company group that my husband and I can join for a trip around the island. We are on the Riviera and will be there on dec. 5. Thanks. I hope reed princess reads this.

Does anyone know of a smaller tour group in St Lucia? I saw James' website, but it looks like he has grown to taking out groups of 15 plus plus. I'd like a smaller company group that my husband and I can join for a trip around the island. We are on the Riviera and will be there on dec. 5. Thanks. I hope reed princess reads this.

LOL - never fear, I am here!! J/K

There are loads of tour operators on island. James is excellent - while his company may be growing, the vans are still small groups. Keep that in mind.

Other options include Spencer Ambrose, Cosol, Herod's, Real St. Lucia Tours, Joe Knows, Son of Man, Simon Says, Serenity TVL, Franks Touring, etc. All offer some variation of the island tour with lunch and drinks, etc. Some are sea only, some offer land/sea and some offer land only. You can google them and get a good idea. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

James Touring Service was absolutely AMAZING and the nicest tour guides you ever want to meet. James and his employee Desiree were SO accomodating to anything we wanted to do, ask or learn. James' van is top of the line, extremely clean, and had state of the art equipment allowing him to dial in the video to any island info you asked about along the way. Everyone on the island knows, likes and respects him which is obvious by the interactions. We saw the entire island, stopping at all of the best places to meet people, buy local goods without being pressured, have lunch, and see some spots of particular interest to us. I had asked James for a modified tour to meet our budget and he was more than happy to arrange it, so be sure and ask. This is the most beautiful of the ports we stopped at and James and Desiree truly love their island home which is evident in their knowledge and joy of their job. I had never arranged tours outside of the cruise ship before due to the ship making you nervous about the fact that if you don't book through them, you could miss your ship departure. Don't EVEN worry about that with James. He is extremely organized and aware of the timeline. He would never jeopardize you getting back on time. I have to admit that I am the WORST at taking the time to write reviews, but James was over the TOP in excellence, and I felt he greatly deserved me sharing our 1st rate experience with others. I recommend everyone going on a tour with James as you will NOT be disappointed! James, if you ever make it to Colorado, we want to be YOUR tour guides, so please contact us. Thank you to you and Desiree for a wonderful day!

• 2 weeks later...

We were visiting the island of St. Lucia as a party of 6 including 2 kids (9 and 13 years old). We spent all day with James jamestouringservicedotcom and his guide Desiree. Brand new clean van with A/C an TV screens played St. Lucia movie, cold soft and alcoholic beverages were available for free during the whole trip. On the way to Soufriere we visited banana plantation were we were able to taste some of the banana products like local banana rum, BBQ sauce etc.), 2 small fishermen villages, beautiful Pitons overviews. James and Desiree were very nice, accommodating and answering all our questions. We boarded speed boat at Soufriere Bay and sailed to Pitons Bay (Jalousie Plantation - beach between 2 Pitons) with white imported Bahamian sand. After 1 1/2 H our captain took us to Anse Chastanet beautiful beach with dark gray (local) sand. On the way back to the ship we sailed in to Marigot Bay and saw Oprah Winfrey and Mick Jagger houses and also Bat Cove and Pirates of the Caribbean filming site. Safe and on-time they get us back to our ship. Desiree was with us during the whole sea part of the trip. We will definitely coming back to St. Lucia and of course we will travel with James again without any questions. James and Desiree are very professional and nice team! He can concentrate on the road and she provide us with details about the island. If you want to get the most of the St. Lucia hire James, you we'll get it all for less:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
James has not listed tour prices on his website.

Only way to get them is to contact him?

I noticed that too. The only reference to cost is that kids 5 and under are free...which does not apply to my group. I really hate it when prices and policies regarding deposits, refunds, etc. are not provided. Doesn't instill much confidence.

I totally agree! If a tour operator is going to have a website, give me all the needed facts, including cost. Last year I tried to get information about a James tour of St. Lucia, and it was like pulling teeth. He wanted my phone number and would not answer even my most basic questions via email. I finally gave up and booked with Cosol (recommend!) . Then for the past year, I keep getting constant messages from James that he wants me to be a friend on Facebook.

When setting up our February tour with James on the phone I asked. James Tours don't ask for any deposits. Which I personally like. No hassles if our ship doesn't get to port. Lunch is included at a beautiful resort. Using him last year I can attest to his tours being private and personable. The history of the island is given with true love of the island with lots of fun. That is one of the main reasons his prices aren't listed. So he can truly tailor the day to your group. I loved our tour last year. He is actually one reason we are doing this itinerary again.

Another vote YES for James!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app