First Time Scooter Purchase

sabookkeeper

Thanks everyone for the helpful information on a scooter. My husband is in need of one and we were approved by the Dr. for a purchase. Does anyone know if a scooter is covered by Insurance? We had a salesman tell us if it is, they will only cover it if it's FDA approved. Funny, can't find any indication if approved on the portable, foldable and lightweight scooters. We leave 12/12 and must make the purchase by then. Thanks Everyone for your expert input!

Mary

Thanks everyone for the helpful information on a scooter. My husband is in need of one and we were approved by the Dr. for a purchase. Does anyone know if a scooter is covered by Insurance? We had a salesman tell us if it is, they will only cover it if it's FDA approved. Funny, can't find any indication if approved on the portable, foldable and lightweight scooters. We leave 12/12 and must make the purchase by then. Thanks Everyone for your expert input!

Mary

I have no idea about insurance covering a purchase. In our state if a doctor approves the purchase you do not have to pay sales tax. Be very careful in dealing with a company that professes your health insurance will pay. I would want "proof" that includes lightweight/portable scooters before I signed anything.

Mary

Depends on the type of insurance and whether or not the policy covers any durable equipment. Also most insurance companies including Medicare and Medicaid require you to go through a specific approval process before actual purchase can be made. Just having an RX from your doctor does not necessarily mean the insurance company will assist in the cost.

If you're husband is on Medicare that's a whole other issue. Power Mobility Device (PMD) is covered by Medicare “only if the beneficiary has a mobility limitation that significantly impairs his/her ability to perform activities of daily living within the home. The key phrase being to perform activities of daily living within the home. If the PMD is needed in the home, the beneficiary may also use it outside the home.” However if it's only purpose is for travel and outdoors usage Medicare generally will NOT approve it regardless of what your doctor has stated.

You cannot reply on information from the salesperson as a previous poster state, In fact a national supplier of mobility scooters was recently taken to task by the U.S Federal Government for questionable practices and has now closed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Mary

We were told that insurance would not cover my Pride Mobility Scooter, or, if they cover anything, it would be one of the chairs with the controls on the arm, and the insurer's choice of manufacturer. We just purchased the scooter ourselves, and it was definitely money well spent.

In NY, we have Independent Health. Our physician has approved a scooter for my husband's use and apparently wrote due to specific medical issues. We were going to cancel the cruise due to my husbands inability to walk until a scooter was suggested. Now, hubby is really looking forward to our December 12th cruise. The salesman told us he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2, but like ya' all said, watch out! No matter, we will make the purchase, just hope we are making the right choice.

It will be wonderful to have him finally enjoy his freedom and ability to get around!

In NY, we have Independent Health. Our physician has approved a scooter for my husband's use and apparently wrote due to specific medical issues. We were going to cancel the cruise due to my husbands inability to walk until a scooter was suggested. Now, hubby is really looking forward to our December 12th cruise. The salesman told us he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2, but like ya' all said, watch out! No matter, we will make the purchase, just hope we are making the right choice.

It will be wonderful to have him finally enjoy his freedom and ability to get around!

Don't understand how the salesman can say to you that "he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2" ?:confused: The insurance company and or Medicare ( if applicable) calls all the shots in this process the salesman has no influence the final decision.

I'm guessing that you probably have never contacted your insurance company to determine what if any durable medical equipment benefits you have and to find out what approved vendor you need to work with ? As stated in my previous post "most insurance companies including Medicare and Medicaid require you to go through a specific approval process before actual purchase can be made. Just having an RX from your doctor does not necessarily mean the insurance company will assist in the cost "

Edited by xxoocruiser

Even if the insurance doesn't pay for it, if you have an RX from your doctor then you can take it off your taxes (in the US) under Medical Expenses if you have enough to deduct.

M,

For 2013 Federal Taxes a person can only deduct that portion which exceeds 10% of their AGI ( adjusted gross income). Most people aren't aware that for 2013 the percentage is increasing to 10% from 7.5% as it was in 2012 unless Congress has a last minute change of heart.

What a process! OMGosh! For the cost of the scooter, we are going to purchase it outright. These salesmen will tell you anything and everything is wonderful until comes down to the nitty-gritty...then they change their tune! I'm thankful we had somewhere to turn for assistance, people who truly care about a person and not their pocketbook!

Leaning toward the EV rider...Again, THANK YOU !!! for caring!

What a process! OMGosh! For the cost of the scooter, we are going to purchase it outright. These salesmen will tell you anything and everything is wonderful until comes down to the nitty-gritty...then they change their tune! I'm thankful we had somewhere to turn for assistance, people who truly care about a person and not their pocketbook!

Leaning toward the EV rider...Again, THANK YOU !!! for caring!

Now that you have decided on a specific mobility scooter have you compared on-line sites for pricing ? In most case cases on-line sites will have cheaper pricing, offer free shipping and possibility tax free as mobility scooters are considered a medical device in most states.

For example the EV Rider Folding Transport Scooter generally sells for around $2,500.00 at most brick & mortar stores. On line it can be found for between $1,800.00 to $1,900.00.

The problem with purchasing anything on the internet' date=' especially higher priced items, is getting repairs and warranty work done, even by the manufacturer. :( :eek:

Cato[/quote']

Purchased my Pride Go Go Elite Traveler used off of Craig's list. Had a minor issue with it a few years later and had no problem getting it repaired after locating an authorized repair place on Pride's website. In fact I wasn't even charged for the repair.

If purchased from one of the more reliable websites warranty work and repairs shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Yes, the internet will be the way we go. There sure IS a big difference in pricing! With free shipping and no sales tax, we are saving plenty. My husband is so very excited about this cruise, knowing he will be able to get around.

Have you been to San Juan using your scooter? The sidewalks are so narrow, we're wondering if there is room for the scooter. (He enjoys people watching and feeding the pigeons by Marshalls.)

Have you been to San Juan using your scooter? The sidewalks are so narrow, we're wondering if there is room for the scooter. (He enjoys people watching and feeding the pigeons by Marshalls.)

Have not been to San Juan since needing a mobility scooter. You may find this link helpful http://c100730.r30.cf1.rackcdn.com/travelaccess_oldsanjuan_puertorico_usa.pdf

I have had my scooter for about a month and do not regret the purchase. I only need to use it when I am going shopping. As I have said previously, I don't see me using it onboard but will definitely need it when in port. Because I do not need to use it on a daily basis, my insurance plan does not cover it. Even though I had to pay for it personally, it is worth the money.