Kenya to South Africa Cruise Options, Tips, Ideas??!!

TLCOhio

I was totally unaware of this and COMPLETELY SECOND what you said. Elephants are meant to be free and South Africa has so many parks where you can see them in their original surroundings. We have lived in 3 National parks during our lifetime - Hwange in Zimbabwe, and Kruger and Pilanesberg in South Africa and the conservation of animals is of utmost importance to us. I am so sorry to have been out of the loop about the above and withdraw my suggestion …. forgive me for even suggesting it, it breaks my heart.

Appreciate these added details, insights, tips and ideas. Keep it rolling. Yes, seeing things in the natural setting is best. Our Zoo in Columbus just opened on May 20 a new "Heart of Africa" area. It is a 43-acre region, allowing more up-close, "natural-setting" samplings of Africa. None of the old "cages" and this new set-up has 130 animals representing 20 species, including lions, cheetahs, ostriches, wildebeests, gazelles and vervet monkeys. Betty White was here for the grand opening, along with Zoo Director Emeritus Jack Hanna. We have not there to visit, yet. Clearly, Zoos are not ideal and perfect for the animals and visitors, but, they do allow so many to sample these types of unique animals close to home. Not everyone, like hopefully we will do in early 2015, can afford the time and money to get to Africa for a personal visit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 172,807 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry

Last week, we just finished the Adriatic Cruise on the Silhouette. Our goal is also "Africa in 2015". While on board, we were offered a brand new Precruise 6 day excursion African Safari to Kenya via Celebrity . This is tied to a Black Sea cruise on the Constellation Fall of 2015. The package includes airfare from JFK to Istanbul/Istanbul to Nairobi/ Nairobi to Istanbul to embark on the ship. And return to JFK of course. We booked it and will monitor the Ukraine situation and may decide to join your ship, if the situation deteriorates.

I'll lurk around and keep in touch.

Terry Last week, we just finished the Adriatic Cruise on the Silhouette. Our goal is also "Africa in 2015". While on board, we were offered a brand new Precruise 6 day excursion African Safari to Kenya via Celebrity . This is tied to a Black Sea cruise on the Constellation Fall of 2015. The package includes airfare from JFK to Istanbul/Istanbul to Nairobi/ Nairobi to Istanbul to embark on the ship. And return to JFK of course. We booked it and will monitor the Ukraine situation and may decide to join your ship, if the situation deteriorates. I'll lurk around and keep in touch.

Appreciate this follow-up from our Florida friend. It seems that there are lots of big, big questions for any such Black Sea cruise potentials. Plus, others who have done these Black Sea areas in the past, raise questions on whether it is "worth it". How high of a priority?? Nice area, but many view it as only OK. We've done 22 different countries in Europe and would like to sample some of these Black Sea options. Plus Istanbul, again!!! BUT . . . my sense and from all of the feed-back I have gotten is that AFRICA IS REALLY IT!!! Very unique, different, special, etc.

Not sure just a six-day Kenya pre-cruise would do justice to Africa and be worth ALL of the logistical challenges, work and effort. JOIN US on this Silversea cruise, do some of the pre-cruise Kenya Safari options, plus the chance to see much in South Africa-Botswana after completing this cruise. Plus, on this cruise, you/we can do the Zanzibar, Madagascar and South Africa stops that will be very excellent.

Keep lurking around and let us any of your questions, interest, comments, etc.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 60,152 views for this fun posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry, I have been reading this thread with interest as I have just returned from a 33 day tour on an adventure truck travelling from Johannesburg to Nairobi. Stayed in many National Parks in Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania including the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater but the highlight of the trip for me was staying in the Okavango Delta in Botswana. It is about a 20 minute flight in a small plane from Maun and we stayed in permanent tent. The guides take you out into the Delta on their mokoros and you can go on guided walks. Nothing better than lying in your tent at night listening to hippopotamus and lions and other animals going about their business.

Regards Elaine.

Hi Terry, I have been reading this thread with interest as I have just returned from a 33 day tour on an adventure truck travelling from Johannesburg to Nairobi. Stayed in many National Parks in Botswana, Zambia and Tanzania including the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater but the highlight of the trip for me was staying in the Okavango Delta in Botswana. It is about a 20 minute flight in a small plane from Maun and we stayed in permanent tent. The guides take you out into the Delta on their mokoros and you can go on guided walks. Nothing better than lying in your tent at night listening to hippopotamus and lions and other animals going about their business. Regards Elaine.

Appreciate these good, added comments and follow-up items from Elaine. Really loved your mention about Okavango Delta in Botswana. We are planning on two different safari camps in Botswana, including for the Okavango Delta. Planning to stay at Camp Morel near the Xakanaxa Lagoon, Okavango Delta, Moremi Game Reserve. Am also planning for a couple nights at Savute Safari Lodge, Savute Channel, Chobe National Park, Botswana.

We are continuing to work ahead for ALL of our planning with this late March-April 2015 Africa (Kenya-Zanzibar-Madagascar-South Africa-Botswana) adventure. The more one learns, the higher the excitement levels rises. Keep the great sharing going and the wonderful info flowing.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 146,522 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, this is the same leg we are interested in but we are too security-concerned to stay in Mombasa, Kenya pre cruise so have been looking at including the previous segment which embarks in Singapore [We have visited most of those ports previously.] ---or---taking an organized safari. I remain interested in your and others' thoughts/experiences. Paula

Here is this added follow-up from Paula from another thread on these CC Boards. Our plan is NOT to stay overnight in Mombasa. We would be in Nairobi and at the Maasai Mara National Reserve doing safari experiences. Then, the morning of our cruise departure, March 23, we would fly from Nairobi direct to the Mombasa airport. Then immediately to the ship/docking area. Our plan is keep our time in Mombasa at a minimum. Nothing is perfect or 100%, but we believe this helps to minimize the risks, depending on how future "activities" evolve.

We encourage Paula and others to consider joining us on this exciting "adventure". BUT, not too dramatic to get in the middle with the wrong kinds of danger. Below are some of my visuals on our research and planning. Off Wednesday to Colorado with one of the couples that traveled with us during our Australia-NZ travels earlier this year.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 175,927 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

In getting ready for our March-April 2015 Africa adventure, including Kenya, Zanzibar, Madagascar, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana, here are some examples of our “work” in preparing. First, are some of the library books that have been checked out to read and research these areas and the many options there to consider. Not as many travel books are possible for Africa compared to what is available for most parts of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. The next two pictures are from our Columbus Zoo (like in Jack Hanna) that just opened this spring a new “Heart of Africa” area. You can see the cute giraffes in their open, natural area and one of the signs in this area based on the flag of Kenya. Cute and interesting?:

AfricaGetReady3_zpsffaaee8f.jpg

AfricaGetReady1_zps99dd262a.jpg

AfricaGetReady2_zpse175ee01.jpg

If things get really tense though in Kenya, the ships will not call into Mombasa and when making your plans, please think about this. We went to Mombasa this past January and it was the first time the cruise line had actually called in for the past four years.

we have a safari planned for September/October 2014 for Kenya and Tanzania, and it is coming up to final payment next week and I am becoming apprehensive about actually going due to the political unrest and violence occurring in that area. We will also be staying for 4 nights in Cape Town at the end of the trip.

Kathy

we have a safari planned for September/October 2014 for Kenya and Tanzania, and it is coming up to final payment next week and I am becoming apprehensive about actually going due to the political unrest and violence occurring in that area. We will also be staying for 4 nights in Cape Town at the end of the trip.

Kathy

Hope you're getting in some good shooting (with the camera that is) in Colorado. Your Africa adventure sounds like it will be fantastic.

Good luck to Kathy16 on your travel decision. It's definitely challenging in the Middle East and nearby. We are still hoping things do not get too bad and that by limiting our time to a very narrow window Mombasa, that we will be OK.

On my Australia/NZ live/blog, I got these comments from Ari/YOW[/b]. Yes, we had a super time in Colorado, July 2-10. Below are only a few visual samples. My first visit to the Rocky Mountain State. Great variety there with some many spectacular sights to see, wonderful food to eat, etc. Very challenging to narrow it down to only six highlight pictures. Any fans of Colorado on this thread? Sorry for the eye candy and discussion distraction.

Africa? Yes, continue to work on that adventure for next year. Am having lunch Wednesday with the former Columbus Zoo Director to pick his brain for ideas on that amazing part of the world. He has visited Africa countless times and worked closely with Jack Hanna to make our Columbus Zoo one of the best in the U.S. Will share some of my notes from our luncheon here on this link.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 22,533 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

For staying in Colorado Springs, Co., with our fellow Aust.-NZ cruise travelers, John and Susan, one of the first super highlights was visiting the U.S. Air Force Academy where two of their daughters graduated. The Chapel is in the background with a plane in the foreground. Second is my wife, Penny, on the left, shown with Susan, as we were traveling up the Pike’s Peak Cog Railroad near Manitou Springs. We had a front-row seat right next to where the engineer was guiding this historic train on this super scenic route to the top of this famed 14,110’ mountain. Third is one of the dramatic rock formations within the “Garden of the Gods” inside the City of Colorado Springs. Amazing sights there in Colorado!!:

Colorado2014A5_zps024d9980.jpg

Colorado2014A6_zpse5d4bc8d.jpg

Colorado2014A4_zps7542eeec.jpg

We also visited other key parts of central Colorado, including Boulder, Denver, Crested Butte and Breckenridge. First is some of the drama near Crested Butte with their wild flowers at the peak of the season and a stream and mountains in the background. Second is a wonderful and filling breakfast in Breckenridge with poached eggs, real, slow-cooked corned beef hash, potatoes and topped with classic Hollandaise sauce. What else to eat at an altitude of nearly two miles up?? Finally, here is the dramatic view as we are crossing the Continental Divide at Hoosier Pass at an 11,539’ high viewpoint. The toughest part? Narrowing all of my great views and experiences down to only six summary pictures.:

Colorado2014A3_zps883df459.jpg

Colorado2014A1_zpsabf4e0b9.jpg

Colorado2014A2_zps0c37c1ef.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From this past weekend's USA Today, they have this headline: "What to expect on your first African safari" with these highlights: "Nothing prepared me fully for the actual experience. You don't need to bring a lot of anything. Take half (or less) of what is suggested. You'll be flying in small planes between camps, you need to limit the weight of your luggage to 33 pounds. Every lodge and campsite on the trip offered professionally done-the-same-day laundry, included in the price. You could get by with what you wear on the plane and two changes of clothes, period. Avoid bright colors (tsetse flies love blue). Khaki and tan are the way to go, even if they're not your colors. You expect to see all sorts of animals in the wild. That's what a safari is all about. But you'll sometimes be mere feet away from elephants, zebras, lions, hippos and other game. Do not get out of your Land Rover to get any closer. The animals won't like it. And neither will your guides."

Great, useful ideas and insights. Here are some more details from this lengthy summary: "Sleeping in tents is not what you think. They're deluxe tents, with firm mattresses, hot and cold running water, exemplary service, fine furnishings, and thoughtful touches everywhere. Nothing in my tour operator's 'Planning Information' booklet to suggest the range and quality of the cuisine we'd be enjoying. For dinner, all it says is you get a 'sit-down, three-course meal'. It was incredible how, in the middle of nowhere, the camp and lodge chefs were able to create delicious gourmet meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, expertly served along with fine South African wines. No copywriter could adequately describe how warm the East Africans I met are. I've traveled everywhere, and I've never felt so welcomed. In every camp and hotel, at the airport, in the villages we visited, they are simply the warmest, most accommodating people I've ever encountered."

This piece really gets one excited for doing some safaris during our March-April 2015 adventures. Clearly, not all camps are exactly the same. BUT, this writing gives a good and exciting preview for roughing "IT" in Africa. Check out the full story. I've copied and saved it to my laptop for the our trip file.

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2014/07/26/africa-kenya-tanzania-safari/13169543/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 150,895 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

carefreecruise: Can’t wait to hear about your adventures. We are booked on the Cloud with the exact itinerary in December 2015. We just finished booking a 10 day custom safari pre-cruise with Bushtracks. And would like to hear about anyone who does the mid voyage safari. Just starting to find out about Cape Town and looking forward to hear about your experiences....

Appreciate this above post from carefreecruise on the Silversea board. I will be happy to share more from our March-April 2015 adventure. Right now' date=' however, my wife is very, very concerned about the whole mess over the health issues in [b']western Africa with the lethal Ebola virus[/b].

YES, Kenya is a long distance from western Africa, but my wife is a Registered Nurse and experienced from decades in public school situations. She legitimately worries about these types of serious issues. Ebola is not something where there are any pre-trip shots that you can take to protect you, nor any treatments that are highly effective in curing this virus.

From the Reuters news wire this evening, they have this headline: "Liberia shuts schools as Ebola spreads, Peace Corps leaves three countries" with these highlights: "Liberia will close schools and consider quarantining some communities, rolling out the toughest measures yet imposed by a West African government to halt the worst outbreak on record of the deadly Ebola virus. Highly infectious Ebola has been blamed for 672 deaths in the West Africa nations of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. The fatality rate of the current outbreak is around 60 percent although the disease can kill up to 90 percent of those who catch it. The illness, called viral hemorrhagic fever, has symptoms that include external bleeding, massive internal bleeding, vomiting, and diarrhea."

The health issues and systems in Africa are not the best and one needs to consider carefully these questions.

Full story at:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-health-ebola-idUSKBN0FZ2P120140731

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 68,900 views for this fun posting.

Gosh the closest Ebola stricken country, Liberia is 3500 miles away from Kenya. Thats 500 miles further than Tampa to Vancouver, Canada. With many, many countries in-between. I would not be concerned at all.

We are flying to South Africa/Botswana/Zimbabwe in 5 weeks time. Our flight stops over in Dakar, Senegal for a one hour fuel stop - that's more of a worry …. but at this moment in time Ebola has not been reported in Senegal yet, and I would like to think the airlines would revert to landing on Isla Da Sol as they did in the past, if this would threaten the lives of those onboard.

I am so surprised at how much people worry about what's happening in other countries of Africa - when back here at home we don't concern ourselves with the disease outbreaks across the border in Mexico or Central American countries.

Go and have a wonderful vacation to remember!!!

Gosh the closest Ebola stricken country, Liberia is 3500 miles away from Kenya. Thats 500 miles further than Tampa to Vancouver, Canada. With many, many countries in-between. I would not be concerned at all. We are flying to South Africa/Botswana/Zimbabwe in 5 weeks time. Our flight stops over in Dakar, Senegal for a one hour fuel stop - that's more of a worry …. but at this moment in time Ebola has not been reported in Senegal yet, and I would like to think the airlines would revert to landing on Isla Da Sol as they did in the past, if this would threaten the lives of those onboard. I am so surprised at how much people worry about what's happening in other countries of Africa - when back here at home we don't concern ourselves with the disease outbreaks across the border in Mexico or Central American countries. Go and have a wonderful vacation to remember!!!

Appreciate your excellent follow-up and correct detailing of the major "facts". Yes, I understand the long distance from western Africa to Kenya. BUT, when some individuals like my wife are "concerned", it is hard, right now, to discuss certain aspects logically and objectively. But there is time till November when we need to make final decisions and the payments are due on this cruise/adventure.

We will keep working ahead and hoping for the best for all involved.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 40,598 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We are leaving for a Kenya/Tanzania Tauck safari on 9/12/14, and I am very worried about Ebola both in Africa and traveling via London/Amsterdam/Nairobi/JRO as well as Atlanta.

I work in a hospital, and I see how we are sometimes unable to even control MRSA infections. My fear is that an infectious patient will show up in some small hospital ED that will not be prepared for it...

Regardless- we are still planning to go- but a lot can happen in a month

We are leaving for a Kenya/Tanzania Tauck safari on 9/12/14, and I am very worried about Ebola...

Your most immediate health concern in East Africa is malaria. Check with your doctor or travel medicine clinic for malaria preventative medication that you'll need to take before, during, and after your trip. Most accommodations will have mosquito nets around the beds, and packets of mosquito repellant wipes among the toiletries. If you are visiting the Ngorongoro Crater, the accommodations there don't have nets because it is too high and too cool for mosquitoes. I did not encounter any mosquitoes anywhere on my trip!

The other concern is tsetse flies that can carry sleeping sickness. I encountered these only in parts of the Serengeti. As a previous post stated, don't wear blue (or black) because those colors attract the flies, and are used in tsetste traps, which you might see around your camp or lodge:

Tsetsefly1.jpg

Wearing long sleeves and long pants can help avoid mosquito and fly bites.

Appreciate your excellent follow-up and correct detailing of the major "facts". Yes, I understand the long distance from western Africa to Kenya. BUT, when some individuals like my wife are "concerned", it is hard, right now, to discuss certain aspects logically and objectively. But there is time till November when we need to make final decisions and the payments are due on this cruise/adventure.

We will keep working ahead and hoping for the best for all involved.

Hi Terry

I can understand your wife's concerns. My husband travels to Ghana for work purposes and I am very worried when the next trip comes up. Ghana is far away from the Ebola Outbreak, but I am still worried. May be it is a "woman" thing to be over cautious about potential threats!

Which brings me to the topic of terrorism. Read this article in the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21604624-rising-tide-violence-coast-affecting-whole-country-frightening

IMHO, this may be a bigger threat than Ebola when considering holiday options in Africa.

Sitting here at the bottom of Africa, I can honestly say that if you and your wife decide to cancel your cruise, please don't abandon your plans to come to Africa. A holiday in Southern Africa is truly special and you can take in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.

I can understand your wife's concerns. My husband travels to Ghana for work purposes and I am very worried when the next trip comes up. Ghana is far away from the Ebola Outbreak, but I am still worried. May be it is a "woman" thing to be over cautious about potential threats! Which brings me to the topic of terrorism. Read this article in the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21604624-rising-tide-violence-coast-affecting-whole-country-frightening

IMHO, this may be a bigger threat than Ebola when considering holiday options in Africa. Sitting here at the bottom of Africa, I can honestly say that if you and your wife decide to cancel your cruise, please don't abandon your plans to come to Africa. A holiday in Southern Africa is truly special and you can take in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.

Arusha: Your most immediate health concern in East Africa is malaria. Check with your doctor or travel medicine clinic for malaria preventative medication that you'll need to take before' date=' during, and after your trip. Most accommodations will have mosquito nets around the beds, and packets of mosquito repellant wipes among the toiletries. If you are visiting the Ngorongoro Crater, the accommodations there don't have nets because it is too high and too cool for mosquitoes. I did not encounter any mosquitoes anywhere on my trip! [/quote']

Appreciate these comments from Arusha on the potential health concerns in East Africa of malaria. Plus, the very good Economist article on the topic of terrorism in Kenya. Excellent background. Will share on another CC board posting location.

From the June 21, 2014, Economist with this headline: "Frightening tourists away", these were the most important highlights for me: "Two nights of terror attacks on Kenya’s coast June 15-16 left at least 65 people dead, prompting the Shabab, a Somali militia of extreme Islamists, to boast that it had turned the country into a 'war zone'. The killings mark a change of gear. Previously the group has mainly committed sporadic acts of cross-border terror. Its latest massacres come closer to resembling a domestic insurgency. Kenya’s president, Uhuru Kenyatta, seems to be blaming his political opponents for encouraging the violence. Witnesses spoke of militants flying the banner of the Shabab and targeting non-Muslims. The attacks echo those perpetrated by Boko Haram, the extreme Islamist insurgents in northern Nigeria, whose large-scale raids and the abduction of women and girls have grabbed international headlines and humiliated the government. In the aftermath of the attacks, the Shabab achieved both aims. Kenya’s tourism, which has provided 15% of GDP in recent years, is in tatters. Warnings last month by the British and other foreign governments prompted flustered tour companies to evacuate clients from Kenya’s coastal tourist hub, Mombasa. The response of Kenya’s government has baffled observers as much as the slaughter has shocked them. No high-level officials have been sacked as a result of the disastrous handling of September’s assault by the Shabab on the Westgate Centre. Since then Somali militants have switched to softer targets, such as commuter buses and open-air markets. The Shabab says its campaign is a response to the continuing presence of Kenyan troops in southern Somalia, where they have occupied the port city of Kismayo and its surroundings since invading in 2011 in an effort to defeat the group"

Sobering background and insights. BUT, we will keep planning ahead and prepared to make a final decision in November. Hopefully, things will work out fine.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 179,689 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

• 4 weeks later...

I am cruising on the Oceania, 1/2015, cruise Capetown to Singapore and will stop in many ports in W. Africa including Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban, Richards Bay, Maputo, Nosy Be, Dar Es Salaam, Zanzibar, and Mombasa. Are you aware of any tour companies in any of these places that would have shore excursions we could join at the pier. Any other ideas about any of these places would be appreciated. Thanks, Voice of cheer, aelwood@prodigy.net

I am cruising on the Oceania, 1/2015, cruise Capetown to Singapore and will stop in many ports in W. Africa including Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban, Richards Bay, Maputo, Nosy Be, Dar Es Salaam, Zanzibar, and Mombasa. Are you aware of any tour companies in any of these places that would have shore excursions we could join at the pier. Any other ideas about any of these places would be appreciated. Thanks, Voice of cheer, aelwood@prodigy.net

Sorry, I am very familiar with my own country - South Africa - which includes the cities Cape Town (2 Words) Port ELizabeth, East London, Durban and Richards Bay. Maputo, Nosy Be, Dar Es Salaam, Zanzibar and Mombasa are cities in other countries e.g. Mocambique, Kenya etc and they are all in the East Africa region. None of these ports are in W. Africa. A lot has been written on this thread about Cape Town (and what to do) - which is going to be your highlight I am sure. sorry i can't help with tour companies, I suggest you Google each port of call for tour companies and see what comes up.

• 2 weeks later...
Terry, We are on the Crystal Serenity and will be in Madagascar on March 23 and 25, 2015. What cruise are you on? Our ports of call are Ambodifotatra and Taolanaro. We're looking forward to an excursion to Nahampoana Private Reserve to see the lemurs. Would be interested to know what information you may have gleaned from the zoo director. While we like to walk around our Cleveland zoo, I love the Columbus zoo for the grandkids. So much easier for them to see the animals.

As a follow-up to these questions from this Cleveland area friend, Karen, from another CC Board post, I wanted to do this update.

1. Our 2015 Africa plans have been "adjusted" during the past few weeks. My wife has been very concerned about the health and safety issues there in this part of the world. Part of the current "health" issue is focused more in western Africa, but we do not know where this whole challenge is headed and going. Africa, in general, has serious health care infrastructure short-comings. Plus, Kenya, in part, has had some major "safety/security" questions. We would have had to board our ship in Mombasa and that was part of the big, uncertain question mark. Your cruise does not stop at Mombasa for certain reasons. Things are better and safer in and around South Africa, Botswana, etc.

2. We have shifted to doing a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days with Silversea. This includes a large amount of time sailing up and around the amazing Amazon River of Brazil. We have never been to those unique parts of the world and it is fun doing that future research!! Much shorter and easier air flights getting to Barbados and coming home from San Juan. Plus, we'll escape the Midwest cold at the right, best time!!

3. Yes, have lots of key information from the former Columbus Zoo Director. Have those detailed notes and will try to get those typed up. Great background that he shared with us. Look forward to sharing that information on these CC Boards. Just been busy shifting things to our Amazon-Carib adventure, plus work and family duties.

We still want to visit in and around Africa, but we will have to aim for 2016.

THANKS for all of the information and sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,604 views for this fun posting.

Hi Terry

I understand and share your concerns. Our Safari which is part of Celebrity's Constellation cruise to the Black Sea is also under review.

We shall wait a bit longer for our Oct 2015 Celebrity Excursion, since we have more runway before the actual cruise.

We have been following local Kenyan news, watching what the government does to combat the Al Shabaab rebels coming over from Somalia. Just yesterday the government warned of closing mosques that radicalize youth.

Also Kenya is taking special precautions to isolate itself from Western African countries to combat Ebola.

I hope to be meeting with an ex high level Diplomat from the US State Dept, who still lives in Nairobi, to get first hand knowledge.

There are good and bad readings and hopefully time will sort it out one way or the other.

Our back up is to do an Celebrity Infinity Valparaiso->FLL cruise with a extended off ship stop to visit Machu Pichu

• 3 weeks later...