Losing tips for foodies?

mamasylvia

I know I'm not the only person who needs to lose because I really enjoy eating. ;)

The only system that has ever worked for me is simply drastically cutting calories. (I even went to some visits to get ready for bariatric surgery, but the doctor insisted on clearance from the out-of-date nutritionist who required I basically live on plain steamed chicken and water. If I could live on that, I wouldn't need the surgery.) Diet food is too often BORING, and my attempts at dieting are make harder because I'm in stage 3 kidney failure, so can't just add flavor by throwing on salt.

One tip that has helped me is butter (NOT margarine, I've avoided trans fats for 30+ years). I'll eat something fairly small for a meal, like a sandwich or a fried egg on a mini naan, but I'm usually still hungry. A handful of vegetables sauteed in a tablespoon of butter is pretty much 100 calories (90 mg sodium) and keeps me full for hours. (150 calories if I include corn as part of the veggies.) I've used frozen mixed veggies as well as fresh mushrooms or cauliflower; the butter adds enough flavor that I don't feel I'm eating cardboard. (Of course it would be better if I could eat the veggies plain. But my choices are eat plain veggies and still crave something with flavor, or add the 100 calories of butter and not cheat later.)

Down 4 lb so far!

Only indirectly. I attribute the weight loss to reducing calories overall. The butter tip just helps me eat fewer calories by increasing flavor and satiety of a bowl of vegetables.

I'm also not sure why you consider bread and butter an improvement over pasta. Bread and pasta are both primarily carbs with some protein. (Unless you mean one slice of bread instead of a big bowl of pasta.)

My biggest tip would be to research some recipes so that you can find things that taste great but are still healthy. There are plenty of them out there! And yes, butter doesn't have to be feared by those looking to lose weight. For example, Kerigold butter is made from grass-fed cows, which means that it contains vitamins and CLA. One tablespoon has 100 calories, but it goes a really long way and adds a lot of flavor.

I def don't believe in super low calorie diets. Never below 1200 for women and 1500 for men, but everyone is different in their calorie needs. If you restrict too much, you end up losing muscle mass.

Easyboy, look into shredding zucchini or fork-separating spaghetti squash to put the carbonara sauce on instead of pasta. Healthier and takes sauce very well. (Go easy on the bacon if you make the sauce yourself, a little goes a long way.)

OCruisers, that has never worked for me. After 40 years of dieting, my metabolism crawls along and I can GAIN weight on 1000 cal/day. DH and I are both working out at the Y 2-3x/wk and hopefully that will help stimulate my metabolism, but between hip replacement, back pain, and no serious exercise for 10+ years, I'm having to start small. (I'm fairly proud of myself tonight, my back has been really bothering me today but I did NOT make that an excuse to skip the Y. I went and did what I could, just skipped the machines that didn't have a back support.)

Easyboy, look into shredding zucchini or fork-separating spaghetti squash to put the carbonara sauce on instead of pasta. Healthier and takes sauce very well. (Go easy on the bacon if you make the sauce yourself, a little goes a long way.)

Thanks for the pasta alternate. Will try it sometime.

• 6 months later...

I swear by the dukan diet. After 4 protein days cravings absolutely decrease. It's a life struggle for me and I slowly started creeping back up till. I am back on it ... two weeks in an already feel better and notice that clothing fits better. I know I need to get on the scale but I have a problem with that... fear of scales

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eating clean, no processed and carbs with the bulk in veggies. Good lean protein. For flavor add fresh spices, smoked paprika with chili powder is awesome. I also add some good fats, olive oil or ghee. I try to be as dairy free as possible. Weigh and log everything!

OCruisers, that has never worked for me. After 40 years of dieting, my metabolism crawls along and I can GAIN weight on 1000 cal/day.

Read the study about weight gain in contestants of Biggest Loser or some such. Their metabolism was permanently reduced by their crash diets and all except 1 (out of 15 or 16) put back most of their weight.

No encouraging but I have a friend who fell ino the crash diet twice (worked, lost lots of weight but put it all back on).

You can read my blog, link in the losing weight for men thread

I want to add that avoiding sugar in all forms is also a key. It's pervasive in a lot of foods.

If it helps, I see Metamucil is now sold without added sugar. The added fibre will help you stay full and allegedly bind with sugar (and other starches)? Not that I'm saying that it's o.k. to ingest any sugar anyway...

I eat a lot of fat. It keeps you full and doesn't really contribute to weight gain.

It's sugar and starches that is stored a glycogen in your body and converts to triglycerides (i.e., simply fat) if you don't burn off the glycogen.

The other thing you could do is to stay cold. Keep your house cool, wear as little as possible and shiver. Your white fat will convert to brown fat which is metabolically active and burn about 5x more energy than white fat.

• 4 weeks later...

i waned to lose a lot of weight for our past sailing in January. what works (for me, everyone is different) is intermittent fasting. i don't eat breakfast, and i stop eating after dinner. so i "fast" from about 5/6pm until 11;30 am the next day when i have lunch. i have a small lunch of about 500 cals, usually a lean cuisine with a can of drained peaches, and then for dinner i eat whatever - we tend to stick to fish, chicken, we grill burgers, or soup & sandwiches. with the chicken and fish we make white rice & a veggie. i just try not to overeat and stop when i am full. this has worked for me and i still eat fairly normally & normal food. if i want something "extra' that's fine. we actually still followed this on our cruise and we didn't gain any weight and we ate a ton of food in the buffet every night LOL

• 2 months later...

Spices help me a lot. I love food and love to try new things. No matter what I am having, I have several jars of spices on the table. For instance, if I am having low fat cottage cheese and tomatoes for lunch, I might put celery salt on my tomato slices, and curry or cumin on half my cottage cheese, then save the other half of the cottage cheese for "dessert" and sprinkle on a little Splenda and cinnamon. Flavored vinegars are also helpful to change up the taste of otherwise "bland" diet foods.

• 3 months later...
I know I'm not the only person who needs to lose because I really enjoy eating. ;)

The only system that has ever worked for me is simply drastically cutting calories. (I even went to some visits to get ready for bariatric surgery, but the doctor insisted on clearance from the out-of-date nutritionist who required I basically live on plain steamed chicken and water. If I could live on that, I wouldn't need the surgery.) Diet food is too often BORING, and my attempts at dieting are make harder because I'm in stage 3 kidney failure, so can't just add flavor by throwing on salt.

One tip that has helped me is butter (NOT margarine, I've avoided trans fats for 30+ years). I'll eat something fairly small for a meal, like a sandwich or a fried egg on a mini naan, but I'm usually still hungry. A handful of vegetables sauteed in a tablespoon of butter is pretty much 100 calories (90 mg sodium) and keeps me full for hours. (150 calories if I include corn as part of the veggies.) I've used frozen mixed veggies as well as fresh mushrooms or cauliflower; the butter adds enough flavor that I don't feel I'm eating cardboard. (Of course it would be better if I could eat the veggies plain. But my choices are eat plain veggies and still crave something with flavor, or add the 100 calories of butter and not cheat later.)

Down 4 lb so far!

I admire that you want to lose weight, I am over one year to diet with my latest attempt to lose weight. Facing a cruise and terrified I will gain massive weight on my two week cruise. This is my plan and I will be walking and climbing stairs. also note that most wines and cocktails are in the 500 cal range. and dessert are out of sight and therefore avoided

I have lost from 277 down to 160 over the last 20 yrs. I am never going back. this plan is through "Sparkspeople.com" they can help you plan your meals to lose the weight and keep it off. below planning is based on room service, Cagney and Sheenan on Norwegian.

I wish you great lose and good luck

101 salmon 2.5 oz 370 one 120 shrimp cocktal 120 shrimp cocktail 245 mixted greens honey dijon mustard 250 bruchetti 65 cal, 180 cal 365 two 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto/cheese/mushrooms 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto 30 cal, 250 cal, 70 cal, 15 cal /cheese/mushrooms 300 three 250 bruschetta/pepers/mozzarella arugula salad 300 new york no ff 120 cal 10 cal 72 cal 20 cal dressng ? 420 fish burger 250 wth out bun 280 four 450 beef burger bun stuff 1 oz of ff 200 hamburger no bun no ff 200 cal 120 cal 100 cal 160 cal 80 mango and berries 700 cal french dip 365 five 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto 140 to 300 breast of chicken polenta 1/4 cup /cheese/mushrooms 140 cal 130 cal 390 six 250 scallops and shrimp 67 and 45 pasta 133 cal 140 chicken no polenta 200 to 300 flounder salad dressing 250 mixed green salad 150 cal 50 cal 100 cal 300 seven 300 to 450 new york steak 225 4oz truffle fries 160 cal 250 fish without bun or ff 350 to500 fettuiccini/mushrooms 80 mango and berries 300 eight 80 berries and mangos 300 flounder 30 cal 50 cal 365 nine 100 chocolate brownie 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto 120 sherbet ten 135 ice cream 300 300 salads 390 banana cream pie eleven 435 carrot cake 300 300 sandwich, burgers and dogs no bread or french fries 80 eggs one 114 crab cake benedict 360 265 buttred toast, peanut butter 142 omelet 60 prunes 216 frittata 35 coffee mate 250 steak and eggs two 304 belgian waffles 280 185 cherrios with milk 373 brioche 60 prunes 570 hot cakes 35 coffee mate 914 eggs benedct three 939 french toast 360 265 1/2 bagel, butter and cream cheese 60 prunes 100 cheese 35 coffee mate 60 cream cheese four 90 peanut butter 290 195 cream of wheat, butter, and brown sugar 120 bagel 1/2 60 prunes 100 toast 35 coffee mate 100 cheerios five 95 cream of wheat 360 265 boiled egg, toast with butter 35 coffee creamer 60 prunes 60 stewe prunes 35 coffee mate 75 butter

My cruise is 40 days away. I started Jan 2whole 30 and plan on going Paleo on Jan 31 which is a very similar routine. Three whole meals with occasional snack. No grains, sugar or artificial sweeteners,no dairy, processed foods or legumes. Day 15 I feel fantastic and so far down 14 lbs. loss 4 inches off waistline. I plan on doing the best I can, on cruise I plan on going to the gym in the am and walking on the jogging track and trying to stay as active as possible.

lets try that again

mango and berries

120 shrimp cocktail 140 chicken no polenta 185 cherrios with milk 200 hamburger no bun no ff 250 bruchetti 250 mixed green salad 250 fish without bun or ff 265 buttred toast, peanut butter 265 1/2 bagel, butter and cream cheese 265 boiled egg, toast with butter 300 new york no ff 300 flounder 300 salads 300 sandwich, burgers and dogs 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto no bread or french fries:')

Edited by Seawoff
delete

lets try that again

mango and berries 120 shrimp cocktail 140 chicken no polenta 185 cherrios with milk 200 hamburger no bun no ff 250 bruchetti 250 mixed green salad 250 fish without bun or ff 265 buttred toast, peanut butter 265 1/2 bagel, butter and cream cheese 265 boiled egg, toast with butter 300 new york no ff 300 flounder 300 salads 300 sandwich, burgers and dogs 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto no bread or french fries