I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hi Biaria

Thank you for all the helpful advice you have given through this thread - I have been slowly working my way through it and wondered if you would advise regarding our plans so far.

We are a family of 4 - 2 adults , 2 teenagers ( 17years and 13years) and in Funchal on Saturday 25th August. we are due to dock at 08:00 amd leave at 18:00

We are thinking first we would join a catamaran trip with Madeira Catamaran to see dolphins/whales at 10.30 - 13.30

• will we be OK to walk to this from our ship?
  • I know you can't advise but has anyone else used this company? - they seem to have good reports on tripadvisor

We would then like to take the cable car up to Monte - hopefully have time for a look round the gardens and then take the toboggan back down.

• Can we walk to the cable car from the boat trip?
  • What would be best getting back from the toboggan to the ship. I have read your cautions about taxis but wonder if when there is 4 of us and time is critical this might be the best way.
  • I have read elsewhere that we should ensure that taxi-drivers turn on their meters to calculate the cost or are we better to agree a fixed cost?

Thank you so much for your help

Hello smileon,

You'll take the catamaran at the Marina and yes, it is within walking distance from the pier, it will take you about 20 to 30 minutes. However, don't forget to see if there's free, pier to centre, shuttle bus transportation.

Yes, it's an easy flat walk from the Marina to the cable car station.

Really, if time is running short, it's best to take a taxi from the end of the Toboggan ride to the pier. Yes, considering the fact that you're 4 people, it won't be that expensive, but, as I always say, make sure you won't be paying more than 15 euros, or 10 if you're being dropped off in town.

About using the taximeter, well, you may wonder why, but the driver will most probably refuse for that kind of trip.

Enjoy your visit to Funchal.

Hi Biaria,

We will be arriving on the Ruby Princess on a Sunday from 2pm to 8pm. We plan to take the Carristur hop on, hop off bus. Can you tell us a few things we should see such as the botanical garden?

Thanks,

Wood

Hello marwood,

The Botanical Gardens close at 6pm. As your cruise ship is docking at 2pm and you're planning to take the HOHO bus, time may turn out to be short. Maybe it would be best to leave the Gardens for a next visit.

The HOHO bus does two different routes: one covering a certain area of Funchal, the other one to Câmara de Lobos. The first one runs at short regular intervals, while the Câmara de Lobos one has several set departure times.

If you take some time to walk around the city center, you can visit churches; the Municipal Gardens or Saint Catherine Park; the interesting Old Town area, where Madeira Story Center is located and so forth.

Enjoy Madeira.

Maybe you know it already, but in case you don't, I'll let you know you can use the Yellow HOHO Bus ticket on the entire Horarios do Funchal network, on the day you purchase it.

Enjoy the island!

Hello marwood,

The Botanical Gardens close at 6pm. As your cruise ship is docking at 2pm and you're planning to take the HOHO bus, time may turn out to be short. Maybe it would be best to leave the Gardens for a next visit.

The HOHO bus does two different routes: one covering a certain area of Funchal, the other one to Câmara de Lobos. The first one runs at short regular intervals, while the Câmara de Lobos one has several set departure times.

If you take some time to walk around the city center, you can visit churches; the Municipal Gardens or Saint Catherine Park; the interesting Old Town area, where Madeira Story Center is located and so forth.

Enjoy Madeira.

Hi biaria,

Would I have time to go up to the Monte or should I just stick with the HOHO bus?

Thanks again

Yes, as time is limited, I think you should stick with the HOHO bus and try to do the 2 routes.

I remember readind somewhere that the last trip to Camara de Lobos is at 4:30pm, but you better confirm with the driver.

Edited by biaria

Hello Friend

I loveee visiting "C de Lobos!" Such a charming fishing village ~when I visit in Nov. I plan on having lunch here and watching people!:p

Can hardly wait to enjoy my few days in Funchal ~

Say "howdy" to Danny ~

Hugs sent!

Miss M

Hello Martita,

Yes, Câmara de Lobos is a very interesting place. If you go there at the right time, you may even see fishermen cleaning the fish they caught!

Oh... I can imagine how much you're looking forward to your stay in Funchal... to be able to explore at your leisure...

"Howdy" sent.

Hugs to you, too and enjoy your Monday.

I'm sure Danny told you, my friends and I visited with Mr. Dias and young Mr. Dias at the hotel ~we enjoyed having cocktails around the beautiful swimming pool ~wasa memorable afternoon!

I know the Island is all abloom ~looking lovely, as usual!

Looking forward to seeing you in Nov.

Miss M

I know this probably has been asked so sorry for repeating but could we walk from cable car station to Old Town? If we can walk to Old Town do you have directions? Is the market near Old Town? Thanks for all of your help!!!

Edited by belkin

Hello belkin,

Yes, in fact the cable car station is basically in the Old Town area.

As you leave the cable car station you walk inwards, away from the seaside and you'll be in the real Old Town.

Yes, the market is practically at the beginning of the Old Town area.

You're welcome.

Hello belkin,

Yes, in fact the cable car station is basically in the Old Town area.

As you leave the cable car station you walk inwards, away from the seaside and you'll be in the real Old Town.

Yes, the market is practically at the beginning of the Old Town area.

You're welcome.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am starting to keep notes as we will be visiting 15 ports and I started getting a little mixed up. :)

Thank you so much for the information your previously provided. We will be in Funchal on a Sunday and intend to take the bus to the Botanical Gardens. Can you confirm if we can take the 31 or 31A bus from the cruise ship port to the Gardens and back from the Gardens? Also, is there an entry fee for the Gardens? Thanks.

Hello TERRIER1,

To take the bus to the Botanical Gardens you must walk (or take a taxi or the shuttle bus) to town. If you choose to walk, you'll reach the bus stop at Avenida do Mar in about 20 minutes. You'll see a row of bus stops, 31 or 31A's is the one closest to the entrance to the quay.

On your way back from the Gardens, the bus stops at Avenida do Mar again, but on the opposite side of the road.

Yes, entry fee to the Botanical Gardens is 3 EUR per person.

Here is the time table for bus 31 and 31A:

http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/carreiras2011/31.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0

http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/carreiras2011/31A.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0

Look on "Domingos", which means "Sundays". Under "Centro" you have the times the bus leaves town and under "Jardim Botânico" or "Teleférico Jardim Botânico" you have the times it leaves either the Botanical Gardens or the Botanical Gardens cable car station.

Hello TERRIER1,

To take the bus to the Botanical Gardens you must walk (or take a taxi or the shuttle bus) to town. If you choose to walk, you'll reach the bus stop at Avenida do Mar in about 20 minutes. You'll see a row of bus stops, 31 or 31A's is the one closest to the entrance to the quay.

On your way back from the Gardens, the bus stops at Avenida do Mar again, but on the opposite side of the road.

Yes, entry fee to the Botanical Gardens is 3 EUR per person.

Here is the time table for bus 31 and 31A:

http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/carreiras2011/31.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0

http://www.horariosdofunchal.pt/carreiras2011/31A.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0

Look on "Domingos", which means "Sundays". Under "Centro" you have the times the bus leaves town and under "Jardim Botânico" or "Teleférico Jardim Botânico" you have the times it leaves either the Botanical Gardens or the Botanical Gardens cable car station.

Thank you so much.

To go to the Botanical Gardens by cable car, you have to go to Monte first, so definitely go by bus.

Please notice that the Botanical Gardens are not in Monte - some people think they are.

To go to the Botanical Gardens by cable car, you have to go to Monte first, so definitely go by bus.

Please notice that the Botanical Gardens are not in Monte - some people think they are.

Can you go all the way to the Gardens by bus? Thanks you.