I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Me again Biaria,

Thanks for your opinion, re the tour were taking. I was a little dissapointed that were not doing that fishing village, something ....el lobos?

is that just a touristy thing or worth seeing? Also I want to say thanks once again for all the help you've given us all.......Joan.

Oh , one more thing ,are we going to be anywhere near the sea on our itinerary ?

Camara de Lobos you mean. Tour providers are always willing to tailor itineraries to cater for their clients needs, so just let them know you'd like to visit Camara de Lobos. It's not much of a touristy thing only, it's a normal fishing town, so worth seeing.

Curral das Freiras is away from the sea, Pico dos Barcelos is not by the sea either, but Camara de Lobos, as obvious, is at the seaside.

Enjoy your day on Madeira and if you need any further info, remember I'm here and that I love to help.

Greetings Biaria, have another question for you. What do you consider the "must see" on your island? The tours that look great, take too long. Will most likely do a half day private taxi tour. Would like your input.

Thank you

Hi FOXTROT,

On a half day tour you can still see some of the island's highlights. Camara de Lobos, the Curral das Freiras area, Cabo Girão, are all interesting places and can be seen in just a few hours.

Hi there

We are cruising on the Adventure of the Seas and will dock in Madeira on the 15th October.

We will have our 22 month old with us - can you advise of anything to do on the island that will be good activity for his age.

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

Honestly, I can't remember of anything specific for such a young child. If your baby enjoys being pushed around in his stroller, he'll be ok. Then he can also walk a bit where you feel it's safe.

Hi Biaria ...

And thanks for all the priceless advice you've offered in this thread. We'll be in Funchal for three days in October (part of a tour). The wicker toboggan ride is included. I'm somewhat of a chicken, and am scared of too-fast rides. I've searched this thread to see what people thought of the actual experience ... can't find too much. Is the ride rough at all? Is it terribly fast? Anything you can tell me will help.

And thanks so much.

Carol in SC

Thank you Biaria for your expert help. Showed Wife' some pictures of Funchai, now she wants to spend more time in town. It looks like one day is not enough time in Madeira.

You're quite right, one day is not enough to see Madeira. At least it will give you a reason to come back...

Hi Biaria ...

And thanks for all the priceless advice you've offered in this thread. We'll be in Funchal for three days in October (part of a tour). The wicker toboggan ride is included. I'm somewhat of a chicken, and am scared of too-fast rides. I've searched this thread to see what people thought of the actual experience ... can't find too much. Is the ride rough at all? Is it terribly fast? Anything you can tell me will help.

And thanks so much.

Carol in SC

Hi Carol,

Don't be scared with the tought of the toboggan ride. The road used to be pebble stone, but not anymore so it's a smoother ride. And it's not too fast either - by my standard at least. I think you'll love it!

Hi Biaria

You have been so helpful already answering questions for our trip in 10 days time but I am now panicing a little!

We have booked to do a Catamaran trip from 10.30 - 13.30 and had then hoped to walk back to take the cable car and ride up to Monte. Perhaps have a look around, toboggan down and then a taxi back to the ship. Our ship is due to sail at 18.00 so we will need to be back on board around 17.00.

Do you think we can manage to do that or I am I being a bit unrealistic in view of the fact it is high season and queues for cable car, tobaggan etc may be very long?

Thank you once again for your help

Hi smileon,

From 13:30 till 17:00 you have more than enough time for your cable car/Monte/toboggan plan. Toboggan ride is usually busier in the morning, so I don't think you'll find a big queue there.

Have a great time!

Do take the ride, we rode it about 4 years ago and was a blast! the gardens at top are very pretty. make sure someone will meet you at end of ride, doesnt go to bottom, long walk back to ship. we hired a taxi van service before cruise and email back and forth to confirm. waiting for us at ship's dock and we did tour of TOWN and coastal AREA. I DID SOME RESEARCH AND TOLD THEM WHAT I WAS INTERESTED IN and they gave me options which turned out great. maybe 4 hour tour and cost about 140 euros, split 5 ways. met people on our cruise through boards and were willing to share expense. great way to go and have a fantastic tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Hope you are well ~have thought of you and Danny a thousand times!

I have been very ill since May and had to cancel my Seabourn Crossing in Nov. Of course I am very disappointed.....1st time in 11 yrs I won't be able to do the fall TA.

Would it be possible for you to call Mr. Dias and cancel my reservation for Nov.?

I would so appreciate this ~~I am planning to fly to Funchal sometime in the future.

Will spend a week at THE hotel ~~we'll plan on having fun!

Thank you so much! Will let you know when I'm flying over......

Texas hugs sent

Martita

Hello Martita,

I'm so very sorry to know about your illness. I hope it's nothing too serious.

What a pity you won't be able to come to Madeira. I called Mr. Dias and cancelled your reservation for this year.

I'm sure you'll get well soon and you'll be coming to Madeira again... maybe next year.

Hugs to you, too.

Hello Martita,

You're welcome.

Yes, next year you'll be flying to Madeira and staying for a week or two. One week is enough to see the island, but if you want to relax a lot, two weeks is better. And you may even consider spending some time on our sister island - Porto Santo.

Get well soon.

Hugs.

Camara de Lobos you mean. Tour providers are always willing to tailor itineraries to cater for their clients needs, so just let them know you'd like to visit Camara de Lobos. It's not much of a touristy thing only, it's a normal fishing town, so worth seeing.

We are on the same tour as UsTwo thoughtfully designed by Joan. As you know the sites include: Monte, Pico dos Barcelos, Eira do Serrado, Camara de Lobos, ad Cabo Girao. This is a half day tour and we will be on Maderia from 9:00 AM til we must be back on board no later than 5:30 PM (or to be safe, until 5 PM). What do you suggest that we do after the tour? Not sure if we are daring enough to do the basket ride although it looks marvelous! Does it make sense to wander around the town for the afternoon? Obviously we will indulging in many glasses of Maderia wine. How far is the port from the town? Will it be possible to walk back to the ship? Assuming I am not too tipsy by then!

Unsinkable49@gmail.com

Hi Unsinkable,

Yes, by all means take some time to explore Funchal town too. After a 30 to 40 minute walk you'll be reaching your cruise ship - that's if you're not falling down by too much Madeira Wine, of course... LOL. Be careful with Poncha too - it's rather strong!

The basket ride is fun, so if you like the idea go for it.

Hi Unsinkable,

Yes, by all means take some time to explore Funchal town too. After a 30 to 40 minute walk you'll be reaching your cruise ship - that's if you're not falling down by too much Madeira Wine, of course... LOL. Be careful with Poncha too - it's rather strong!

The basket ride is fun, so if you like the idea go for it.

I guess we will take a taxi back to our ship unless there is some sort of shuttle that we can take. Do you know of any of the latter? Are taxis expensive?

Pleasure and enjoy your day in Madeira.

I have been reading reviews of Cabo Girao on the Trip Adviser website. Many of the comments were from people who were disappointed when they went there as the view was blocked by construction.:( Is this still going on? What are they constructing?

Unsinkable49@gmail.com

Yes, in fact Cabo Girao is under construction at the moment and has been closed to visitors. As it's one of Madeira's most visited spots, I hope work is finished soon, but honestly I have no idea how things are progressing.

They're building a glass floor on the lookout and rearranging the surrounding area as well.

Yes, in fact Cabo Girao is under construction at the moment and has been closed to visitors. As it's one of Madeira's most visited spots, I hope work is finished soon, but honestly I have no idea how things are progressing.

They're building a glass floor on the lookout and rearranging the surrounding area as well.

We have this spectacular site included on our tour on May 13, 2013. I guess we will need to keep a close watch to see if it will be completed on time.