Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

Hi all!! Before I start.....

THANK YOU!!

Thank you to all of you who answered my questions throughout our planning stage and to all of you who contributed to these Cruise Critic Boards (and Tripadvisor) with your questions and responses which I was able to peruse and use (steal) your answers to plan our trip. CC truly is an awesome resource and I would not consider taking a cruise without consulting my fellow cruisers who truly are a wealth of information.

And now is my chance to pay it forward. What will follow on these pages are details of our 23 day adventure, 7 of which was aboard the Viking Ingvi cruising the Rhine River, Amsterdam to Basel, from July 25 - August 1, 2014. So grab a glass of wine (or maybe a bottle would be better as this will take quite some time to pull together) and settle in to travel along with us vicariously. There will be written details, there will be photos (lots of photos...not sure how many I took but lets just say hundreds, only a small percent of which will be posted here!!), there will be the Viking Dailies, there will be some menus (with some food photos), and there will be lots of other information that you may or may not find useful with your planning process. And we will do our best to answer all questions along the way.

In addition to the 7 day Rhine River cruise on the Viking Ingvi, we had travel plans both pre and post cruise which we had arranged ourselves. Our flight was booked flying Toronto – Brussels with our first 3 days based in Ypres, Belgium. This was our base to visit numerous WW1 sites, with an emphasis on those with Canadian significance. The next 3 days we were based in Amsterdam before boarding our river cruise.

Post cruise, we spent 3 nights in Switzerland (2 in Lucerne and 1 in Basel). We then took the train to Paris where we spent 5 nights prior to heading back to Brussels for our final evening prior to returning to Toronto.

There were six of us along on this adventure, myself (Jerry - 51) and my wife (Patti -50), my sister-in-law (mid 50’s who was celebrating obtaining her Master’s degree) and her recently retired husband (mid 60’s), and my in-laws who are late 70’s but still very active. So we had a wide age-range among our group which may give differing perspectives...or not.

What will follow throughout this review are our personal thoughts, observations, and experiences. Different people will see the same event differently but we are all fairly easy going, are active travelers, and try to get the best out of each experience. I apologize now for all spelling mistakes (and there will be some) and any errors I make in posts....my goal is to provide information and pay forward to try to assist others in the planning of their adventures. I am also going to try to provide links to websites we used during our 18 months of pre-cruise planning.

OK, confession time.....yes I am a planner, I am one who searches for all available info, researches, compiles lists, researches some more, and needs to know the details / options before I leave home. I do not need to have every minute of the day planned out, but I do need to know what I could do in each town / city so I can decide how to spend my time in each location and adjust based on weather, time available, delays, energy level, etc.

And I travel with lots of stuff. This includes a detailed spreadsheet of our full itinerary by port / city, an Ipad with numerous PDF’s/maps saved for each city, a Lenovo laptop, a GPS (for our rental vehicle in Belgium), an Iphone, a camera (nothing fancy but a nice point & shoot that will fit in my pocket and has served me well – for those interested it is a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V, 16.2 megapixel with a 16x optical zoom but no interchangeable lens, etc that a DSLR would have).... and numerous power cords / adapters to make this all work....ok, now that I have admitted that we can move on.....

Jerry

Our itinerary was as follows:

Day 1: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Day 2: Kinderdijk, Netherlands

Day 3: Cologne, Germany

Day 4: Koblenz & Rüdesheim , Germany

Day 5: Heidelberg & Speyer, Germany

Day 6: Strasbourg, France

Day 7: Breisach, Germany

Day 8: Basel, Switzerland

Vikingitinerary.jpg

I will start with our arrival at the boat, given this site is based on cruising. Once we have toured the ship in full , I will then provide some details of each port / city, including our pre and post details as these can easily be arranged for anyone who is somewhat adventurous (which if you are looking on these boards, you are!).

So we arrived at the Ingvi via private shuttle given we had spent 3 days in Amsterdam pre-cruise (details to follow later). We used "Shuttle Amsterdam" and they were very reliable.

Bags were taken by staff upon our arrival

DSC07088.jpg

Boarding the ship (those red items are umbrellas for your use if needed)

DSC07094.jpg

This is the lobby you see when you board

DSC09050.jpg

Check in was a breeze...maybe 2 minutes at most

DSC07095.jpg

The front desk area

DSC07702.jpg

Also in the lobby is a future cruise sales desk

DSC09051.jpg

And a guest book that very few people sign...

DSC09053.jpg

And here is our crew for the week, all of which were professional, hard working and given the small ship, performed numerous duties

DSC07558.jpg

A different angle of the main lobby

DSC07530.jpg

And there was an elevator (it does not go to the sun deck)

DSC07531.jpg

The small library is in the upper lobby

DSC07153.jpg

DSC09160.jpg

The papers on the table are a daily recap of the news. We saw versions for the US, Canada and the UK.

DSC07152.jpg

The computer station is also in the area. There was free WIFI on-board but it was very slow in the cabins or on the sun deck. Numerous people were sitting in the main lobby to use the internet as it seemed to work best there, but still very slow.

DSC09159.jpg

Another sitting area

DSC07526.jpg

This is great! I had to go get my IPad as I was reading your report on my phone and the pictures needed to be bigger so I could enjoy them!! Can't wait to share with my DH, we are not even sailing on Viking but I am excited to read and see everything.

Thanks so much for taking the time, and please write some more :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all of this together. I too, have been pouring over the boards for any and all information for our upcoming river cruise in 2015, just as it sounds like you did the year and a half before your cruise. I have posted reviews in the past and know how time consuming it can be. So again, thank you so much taking the time to share your knowledge and pictures of what looks like was an amazing trip down the Rhine.

So looking forward to reading the rest. I have my glass (bottle) of wine ready :)

Thanks folks for you comments...they are always appreciated!

Moving on, going forward down the hall from the coffee station takes us into the Viking Lounge. This area was used for nightly briefings about the next days events, however there is never enough seating for the number of guests on-board. Viking does need to resolve this somehow. This area was also used for the nightly entertainment. The lounge was packed for trivia night and for a music trivia night. Most nights it was a piano player who could not keep a crowd even when he started with a full room. There was not much nightly entertainment on this cruise and the piano player lacked charisma to engage the crowd in any way. The entertainment was certainly one area we felt was lacking and could have been much better, but we also know we are towards the lower end of the age scale for the target market. Having said that, my in-laws in their late 70's felt the night life was lacking....

DSC07107.jpg

DSC07108.jpg

DSC07203.jpg

DSC09166.jpg

DSC07110.jpg

DSC07109.jpg

As we continued our walk around the boat, we went fully forward to the Aquavit Terrace where we had our first lunch on-board. This area had casual meals available as an option instead of the formal dining room. We enjoy sitting outside on our cruises and this area had great ambiance. We ate lunch here a couple of times during the week but always had dinner in the main dining room.

DSC07202.jpg

DSC07114-1.jpg

DSC07112-1.jpg

DSC07113-1.jpg

DSC09165.jpg

DSC09180.jpg

After lunch we moved up to explore the sun deck. It was drizzling some that afternoon so the photos here are from various points throughout the week... The sun deck was open most of our cruise, closing just for the occasional very low bridge.

DSC07862.jpg

DSC09176.jpg

DSC07125.jpg

DSC07148.jpg

DSC07126.jpg

DSC09280.jpg

After we were finished lunch, we stopped by the front desk and were told our room was now ready. We were given our room card and were off to see our home for the next week. We had booked a balcony cabin on the second level as we always prefer to have cabins above & below to ensure no public space (noise) is nearby. We were in cabin 211 and it was a perfect spot, close enough to the main lobby for quick access (not that anything is far on these boats!) and far enough away there was no noise. We had no engine noise and it was a quiet location.

DSC07290.jpg

DSC07289.jpg

DSC07183.jpg

DSC07185.jpg

DSC07187.jpg