Tanzinite and opal jewelry bought in Mexico.

crazycruzer68

I bought a ring in Cozumel several years ago and it still looks great. I know it's not "real" but I love it and would like another. We are going eastern Caribbean in the fall and was was wondering if I could find them there as well. Does anyone know??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought a ring in Cozumel several years ago and it still looks great. I know it's not "real" but I love it and would like another. We are going eastern Caribbean in the fall and was was wondering if I could find them there as well. Does anyone know??

You will find them all over the Caribbean now. I've never been in a port that didn't have jewelry close at hand. No pun intended...

You will find many jewelry stores in San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Barbados, Nassau, St. Croix, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Curacao........

You get the picture. :D

Prior to the collapse of the economy, St. Thomas was loaded with jewelry store after jewelry store all offering some very pricey pieces and a huge selection. There were pounds and pounds of gold and every gemstone you could think of. You could find some moderate priced pieces but plenty of high end.

Then cruisers/vacationers in all the islands stopped shopping for high end jewelry and the shops gradually stopped selling much gold and huge gemstones and started selling more silver and semi-precious stones rather than ruby, diamond, sapphire and emeralds. A number of jewelry stores converted to souvenir and trinkets with small jewelry counters and limited selection. The show cases had a fraction of what they used to contain.

Gradually, as some people have recovered somewhat, have gotten back on their feet, it seems some stores are slowly and most cautiously trying to recover some resemblance of what they used to be. The 'old days' are long gone and not likely to ever return but you will find some moderate priced jewelry and much of it won't be in gold. It will be gold plated, silver, copper, bronze or some mystery metal for the most part. Most pieces set in gold, will be costly if they have any real weight.... costly by the average working person's standards.

Edited by sail7seas

It would help if we knew what ports you are going to, but Tanzanite International is at many of the ports, Effy also has low priced gemstone jewelry. Ask the shopping expert onboard and he/she can direct you to the stores that will carry those stones. They also sell a coupon book onboard now that can get you some free items and discounts on others.

For Grand Turk see http://www.grandturkcc.com/

They have a map of the shopping area. They have stores like Columbian Emeralds and Tanzanite International and Goldsmith.

A site for St Thomas is http://www.visitstthomas.com/havensight_mall.html

For San Juan I found this site http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/puerto-rico/san-juan/shopping.html

I haven't looked into Half Moon Cay because I don't have it my itinerary but I think it is a private port.

I'm sure if you search the internet you can find out more about each individual port.

I will be in, grand Turk, St.. Thomas, half moon cay, San Juan.

IF you wish, you could spend your whole day in St. Thomas jewelry shopping from store to store. If you dock at Havensight, you will find plenty of jewelry stores right there. If you are at Crown Bay, there are fewer.

Grand Turk is Carnival Corporation's created cruise port and there is a shopping area right at the dock, pool area, beach and Margaritaville. There are jewelry stores there but not nearly the number of other ports.

San Juan is loaded with jewelry stores. It's fun roaming the streets of Old San Juan and popping in and out of stores....... if that interests you.