menu for carlos bakery on breakaway

uncleboo

FYI - When you order Bon Voyage, Birthday, Anniversary or any other packages from NCL you need to order about two weeks prior to sailing. At least two weeks was required the last time I purchased a package. Most of these packages include a cake. Even the Access Desk needs 2 weeks prior to sailing for medical supplies such as distilled water to be requested. Therefore, 4 days prior notice is not unreasonable at all.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but Carlos products are average at best. I have eaten products right from his shop here in NJ and they really are not special by any means. Are they good? Yes. Special? No.

I totally agree ...I live less than a mile away from Carlo's and I'd rather drive to Brooklyn to get a cannoli... i hear theyre charging $3 on the ship for 1? crazy!

There is no free coffee at the atrium???

Nope. You'd have to go to the buffet, main dining room, etc. Pack your thermal coffee mug and fill up at the buffet? :confused:

I totally agree ...I live less than a mile away from Carlo's and I'd rather drive to Brooklyn to get a cannoli... i hear theyre charging $3 on the ship for 1? crazy!

Found a receipt...

Red Velvet Cupcake is $3.00

Chocolate Cannoli $3.50

No auto-gratuity :rolleyes:

So...red velvet and carrot are $3 and others types cost a few pennies less. Similarly the regular cannoli is a few pennies less than the chocolate.

I've had better for less.

Edited by kylenyc

I had some cupcakes from Carlos. They came with a lot of icing, and a nasty attitude. The staff at the Carlos stand were the only ones on the ship I can say that about. Just short of being rude. Was the cake good? Sure, but with the attitude they had, I'd rather eat a Ring Ding. :rolleyes:

Even if the cakes are made on the ship, I wouldn't think they are made every single day. They probably just make more as they sell out. Think about it- wedding cakes often take days or possibly weeks to decorate. That cake is made WAY ahead of time. It depends on the baker if it is still good by the time it is ready to eat!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about ordering a Bon Voyage cake to be delivered to the room. I'm sailing on the Breakaway and the only cake option I see is Carlo's. The only problem with that is the wife doesn't eat chocolate cake and that's the only flavor I see available. Does anyone know if and how I can order a white or yellow Bon Voyage cake.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I have a question about ordering a Bon Voyage cake to be delivered to the room. I'm sailing on the Breakaway and the only cake option I see is Carlo's. The only problem with that is the wife doesn't eat chocolate cake and that's the only flavor I see available. Does anyone know if and how I can order a white or yellow Bon Voyage cake.

When you log into MyNCL, there should be a section to order everything, I cannot remember what it's called. Anyway, it's under Party Packages and select Bon Voyage, all those cakes are a vanilla cake.

Here is the link in NCL, but like I said you an now order everything through MyNCL. http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more

The Carlos Bake Shop cakes are not what's included in the NCL party packages.

When you log into MyNCL, there should be a section to order everything, I cannot remember what it's called. Anyway, it's under Party Packages and select Bon Voyage, all those cakes are a vanilla cake.

Here is the link in NCL, but like I said you an now order everything through MyNCL. http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more

The Carlos Bake Shop cakes are not what's included in the NCL party packages.

I've only been able to look on my phone so far. From what I see so far you're saying I have to purchase decorations and all not just a cake. I'm not really into decorations but would do it to get the cake.

I'm curious... Does it say anywhere that the cakes are not frozen prior to or after delivery? We have a delicious bakery and some cakes which are frozen for a couple of days are still delicious! And I'm not a dessert person!

• 5 months later...
I had some cupcakes from Carlos. They came with a lot of icing, and a nasty attitude. The staff at the Carlos stand were the only ones on the ship I can say that about. Just short of being rude. Was the cake good? Sure, but with the attitude they had, I'd rather eat a Ring Ding. :rolleyes:

Cake ****s

(Remembering the Soup **** from Seinfeld. The soup was so good, people put up with the guy)

Wow, the word starting with an "N" for a bad group of Germans during WW2 seems to have been blocked by CC :)

The bad news about Carlos' is that means no more free coffee and snacks in the atrium

Edited by reallyme

I don't think the issue is good or bad

It is the fact that Carlos bakery is popular because of TV and people flock for the notoriety and the chance to see one of the gang

I for one don't care for their pastries but I am not really a pastry kind of person

My chunk is all Vanilla Swiss Almond and Coffee Haagen Daz lol

As of the 4/30 maiden transatlantic. The prices were...

... very roughly from memory (I had looked up the prices for someone but facebook ate the post) :(

Rainbow cakes and danishes $0.75 (bottom shelf far left and far right)

Cupcakes and cannolis $2 - $3

Mini Cakes $6-$7

I heard rumor that the regular sized cakes were in the $40-$50 ranges. Also that indeed Carlo's relative (?uncle?) was on sight overseeing the pastry chefs. So yes, 'Carlo's' is making the pastries just as if a family member or employee were making them in Carlo's bakery.

I had the chocolate cannoli. It was very good (and very filling) but not Ferrara's good ;)

Tea is free.

There is no free pastry case or self-serve coffee that is on other NCL ships at the "Java Cafe".

P1010424y.jpg

Just off the breakaway 2 weeks ago.....

The top left bag of cookies is something like 38$ and the white paper bag with cookies is something like 22$....

That is mucho $$$ for cookies :eek:

My GF had 2 cup cakes and found them very very good, I myself had a chocolate truffle small cake ( top self, 4th from left on the pic ) and it was very good also ( same taste and texture as in his "new" shop near times square ).

His main shop on deck 8 is open something like 3 or 4 hours per day during the afternoon :confused:... if I let myself go and indulge in a " a la carte " dessert it will be after dinner...but it is closed.

Yes you can get items in the Atrium but they do not refill after a certain time of day. So out of stock is just too bad for me :mad:

I didn't found the items overly expensive but will I spare no expense on my next Breakaway cruise...probably not.

• 1 year later...