Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are flying into FLL Jan 6 for our Celebrity cruise out of Miami on Jan 7. Anyone have suggestions as to a nice clean hotel that will also bring us to the cruise port and pick us up when we return. We will be staying there for two days after the cruise. Would really like beach area. Thanks....Ellen

We are flying into FLL Jan 6 for our Celebrity cruise out of Miami on Jan 7. Anyone have suggestions as to a nice clean hotel that will also bring us to the cruise port and pick us up when we return. We will be staying there for two days after the cruise. Would really like beach area. Thanks....Ellen

Hello:) to be honest with you, after sailing from both places for many

years now you are not going to find a hotel in FLL with a shuttle down

to the port of Miami. Or I should say, if there are any? They are far

and few between. It is about a 30-45 minute ride, depending on

traffic.

I would suggest using SAS. They can pick you up at your hotel and

take you to the port of Miami. I have used them 3 times in the past.

Here is a link to the website:

www.ridesas.com

When do you arrive in FtL? You need to decide.... on staying there and shuttle to Miami port in morning? OR head right to Miami via shuttle and stay there for the first night? That's your first decision. Note that depending which hotel you look at and its location to beach, Ft L is usually cheapaer than Mia. Certainly hotels nearer the airport are lowest. But you might not be near anything.:( Do your research.

Post cruise, it's a little cold for enjoying swimming then, but since you have two days, you'll want to stay along the beach in Ftl . Moderate hotels would be Bahia Mar and Sheraton.

Thanks for the quick replies. We would go to Miami first but the Notre Dame championship game is that weekend! We will stay in Lauderdale on both ends and will look into SAS as transportation....you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you!

Thanks for the quick replies. We would go to Miami first but the Notre Dame championship game is that weekend! We will stay in Lauderdale on both ends and will look into SAS as transportation....you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you!

There is a sportsbar called Duffy's right on 17th Street in The Harbour

Shoppes. I am sure every tv in the place will have the game on.:)

ROLL TIDE:D

Lois is right. Duffy's is a great sports bar. It has a kazillion tv's down both walls and is in easy walking distance to restaurants and other sights. Other good hotels out that way are the W and the Westin. We have gotten both on Priceline. However, with the BCS Championship game nearby, you had better make a reservation that can be cancelled and then you might try bidding for a 4 star out on the beach. Good luck and ROLL, TIDE, ROLL! :D

Macy

Needing advise

My family (DH, I and our little girl(4yold) will getting off the ship on Dec 23rd. Our flight the next day is at 7:50 at Ft Lauderdale airport. My question is do we just stay by the airport or do we get a hotel by the beach. Also if we stayed by the airport I would want it to have a pool or something to keep our girl entertained or is the beach not far from there?

I know you all will have lots of question so ask away. DH says we need to stay by the airport as we will be traveling early the next day and it is christmas eve.

Thanks,

A

Does this make sense: Taxi from airport to Embassy Suites for pre-night stay, taxi from hotel to port for embarkation, taxi from ship to airport on disembarkation day?

I really don't want to tangle with the hotel's free shuttle service.

I might want to hire a car service. I know my DH won't want to stand around waiting for the shuttle back and forth.

Grateful for any information thread experts can provide.

:D:D:D

Any cruise term. or Hotel usually has tons of taxi. We have never had a problem at port or hotel. Don't blame you for not wanting a shuttel to many stops.;)

Thanks for your prompt reply, is the taxi stand a standing nightmare? My DH has mobility issues and can't stand for long periods of time so I'm trying to understand the lay of the land; seating nearby for him while I wait in taxi line, etc.

Thanks, :D

Needing advise

My family (DH, I and our little girl(4yold) will getting off the ship on Dec 23rd. Our flight the next day is at 7:50 at Ft Lauderdale airport. My question is do we just stay by the airport or do we get a hotel by the beach. Also if we stayed by the airport I would want it to have a pool or something to keep our girl entertained or is the beach not far from there?

I know you all will have lots of question so ask away. DH says we need to stay by the airport as we will be traveling early the next day and it is christmas eve.

Thanks,

A

I can't imagine a major hotel in Florida without a pool. It should have one and will be listed on whatever website you use to find it.

I can't tell you what to do, but as a man and a practical one at that... I have a rule of thumb. If I have to fly out before 9am and I have a choice, I am staying near the airport. If you are leaving at 7:50am... you have to be there by 6:50am at the extreme latest. If you are flying international or have special needs, you need to be there about 5:30-6:00am.

Starting that early away from the airport is begging for issues. Make the journey to the airport the shortest possible constraint.

Does this make sense: Taxi from airport to Embassy Suites for pre-night stay, taxi from hotel to port for embarkation, taxi from ship to airport on disembarkation day?

I really don't want to tangle with the hotel's free shuttle service.

I might want to hire a car service. I know my DH won't want to stand around waiting for the shuttle back and forth.

Grateful for any information thread experts can provide.

:D:D:D

Sounds like a plan! Taxi to your hotel from FLL and from the port to FLL should be about $15 each; taxi from the hotel to port should be $10 or under. Good luck! :)

Thanks for your prompt reply, is the taxi stand a standing nightmare? My DH has mobility issues and can't stand for long periods of time so I'm trying to understand the lay of the land; seating nearby for him while I wait in taxi line, etc.

Thanks, :D

You will have no problem with the hotel. Have dh wait in the lobby while you wait for the cab, if not available right away. At the port however, there can be a pretty good line. However it does move pretty fast. If your plane isn't early, just stay on the ship until last call and the line will be mostly gone when you disembark.

There will also be shuttles there to take you to FLL in a van. However, you usually just sit there until the shuttle is full. But that could be an option if you don't mind the wait in a sitting van and paying a couple dollars more. If your husband can't stand the wait standing.

I can't say I saw benches along the cab line.:confused: But maybe..

I have booked the Aqua hotel for 1 night pre cruise on 5 th January it has great reviews but I now realise it is some distance from the port. We will be arriving with a rental car which we will need to drop off then get transport to hotel is it best to arrange this drop off at the airport and how much roughly will taxi fare be. Also would appreciate any recommendations for car rental we will be picking car up 1 week earlier at Orlando int airport

Also roughly how much for taxi fare from hotel to port on 6th jan

Thanks

Moira

We will be cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale on April 12, 2013. I'm looking at hotels to stay at on the 11th. Right now, it is between Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port on S. Federal and Best Western Plus on SR84. Which do you prefer, and why?

Question for Royalcruz: We are staying at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach precruise - Feb. 15th. Have stayed there a couple of times but have never ventured out further than the mall across the street and ate at the Ale House each time. This time we would like to go over to Dania Beach for a while and find a different place to eat dinner that evening. We both don't care for seafood, but any other suggestions would be good. Is it feasible to walk to the beach from this hotel? Or would we need to take transportation and what is available? Our plane get in to FLL at 2:00 p.m. so we won't have a whole lot of daylight time to sight see, but would really like to go to the beach for a little while. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you had a great cruise, we've never had a bad one yet

We are staying at Sleep Inn, Dania for a couple of nights pre-cruise. I was wondering how far it is from this hotel to the beach/ocean. Not sure if there are any places to have a snack/drink in this area at the end of Sheridan.

Are there better places to go that are on the water, how far would they be from the hotel and would we have to take a taxi? Would also like to be able to see some ships sail out on the Saturday afternoon.

Hope someone here can give me some answers. Looking forward to our cruise. Thanks.

Question for Royalcruz: We are staying at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach precruise - Feb. 15th. Have stayed there a couple of times but have never ventured out further than the mall across the street and ate at the Ale House each time. This time we would like to go over to Dania Beach for a while and find a different place to eat dinner that evening. We both don't care for seafood, but any other suggestions would be good. Is it feasible to walk to the beach from this hotel? Or would we need to take transportation and what is available? Our plane get in to FLL at 2:00 p.m. so we won't have a whole lot of daylight time to sight see, but would really like to go to the beach for a little while. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you had a great cruise, we've never had a bad one yet

I see that you've been to the Ale House twice. We will be in Dania Beach in May and was planning on going there. Do you have any recommendations of what is good to eat there?

I see that you've been to the Ale House twice. We will be in Dania Beach in May and was planning on going there. Do you have any recommendations of what is good to eat there?

I ate there on my precruise night back in November. There were 7 of us and we had a mix of everything. The food was very good. I think you will enjoy it.

We are on a budget and don't really want to send $200 per night for a precruise hotel.

This Best Western Oakland Park seems to fit our needs. THe reviews are mixed but mostly good. How is it for cleanliness, location, cab charge to port and restaurants within walking distance (not a mile away please). You have been so helpful to many of us not familiar with Ft. Lauderdale and THANK YOU doesn't seem adaquit but a big THANKYOU anyway!:D:D

We stayed there pre-cruise last February. The people running the hotel are very nice and accommodating. The hotel itself was a disappointment. About half the light bulbs in our rooms were dead. The rug in the bathroom was not something I wanted to step out of the shower on to. We will not be returning. Overall...just rundown and not super clean.

We concur (re Bridge at Cordova). Nicest folks you could meet. In need of basic repairs, better cleaning & upkeep. Low price, great location, free shuttle from airport & $6pp van to ship lured us, but we'll pay for something nicer next time.

Edited by balcony4air